Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 301 - 325 of 4,008 comments

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on August 30, 2012 at 5:28 pm

As to the Master in 70mm at the Ziegfeld: yea! Yea! yea!

jw1968
jw1968 on August 30, 2012 at 5:10 pm

According to the Clearview website, The Master is opening on September 21 at the Ziegfeld in 70mm.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 30, 2012 at 6:34 am

I also think Clearview should have fought to get it at the Ziegfeld too. It could have played 70MM at both theaters.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 30, 2012 at 6:33 am

Me too Ed. I just saw that they have a 1200 seat theater. I live in NC and there is no place close that this will play in 70mm.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 30, 2012 at 1:44 am

Yes, Mike, that is very disappointing news. Along with the story that the Weinstein Company wasn’t willing to support PT Anderson’s desire to have this film distributed as widely as possible in its native format. I’m hoping that the Village East has its 70mm capabilities in the original big auditorium?

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 29, 2012 at 10:09 am

Why is the 70mm print of The Master NOT coming to the Ziegfeld. This really sucks as tghis wil probably be the last movie shot in 70mm.

egcarter
egcarter on August 29, 2012 at 9:47 am

The Ziegfeld used to have changeover and platter capability. Has that status changed?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on August 28, 2012 at 4:14 pm

TV’s Dr. Who’s new season’s premiere had its premiere to a packed house Saturday eve http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2012/08/recap-doctor-who-premiere-screening-in-new-york/

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 23, 2012 at 2:01 am

I believe a couple of 70mm prints were screened when the Ziegfeld was still doing the “classics” series a few years ago.

cmbussmann
cmbussmann on August 21, 2012 at 10:49 am

I love The Ziegfeld to death and would be devastated to see it close. Easily my favorite place to see a movie in the city. The entire experience from the greeter to the chandelier to the curtain to the plush carpeting and trim, I love it all. And though I know it’s struggling financially, there’s nothing I love more than an empty house. I was one of maybe three people for a screening of The American and the awe of being in that vast space (center row, balcony) will stay with me forever. I’ve also been there when it’s been packed (Harry Potter, Casino Royale) and the crowd is often quite fun.

I’m not sure what the solution is for keeping this place running. I’ve been to some revivals there (like Dr. No) that were sparsely attended and others (like Blade Runner) that did so well they had their engagement extended. Fathom Event stuff seems to bring in a strong clientele as well. Hopefully, the owners can find a way to capitalize and keep this place going. It really is tremendous.

Does anyone know if The Ziegfeld still has 70mm capacity? I’d love to see The Master there in that format this Fall.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 20, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Hello-

in recent years the Ziegfeld has had an occasional exclusive engagement. for instance the two week limited engagement of “The Princess and the Frog” with an accompanying show at Roseland. but discounting such special engagements what was the last time this theater had a regular open ended exclusive engagement of a new film?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on August 18, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I was here today (Saturday) for 1 PM movie, 2nd week of The Bourne Legacy. Only about 30 people were in the audience. There was NO use of the curtain. It has been 3 years since I was last here, for a Harry Potter film, where the curtain was used. Is the curtain ever used? For a busy opening? for classics? for premieres? is it broken?

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on July 15, 2012 at 6:28 am

Just added an ad for the re-release of THIS IS CINERAMA in the photo section.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on July 9, 2012 at 11:59 am

Amazing Spider-man won’t be what The Dark Knight Rises is going to be July 19th at midnight. The only place that will be busy are the imax locations (the one in Lincoln Square is the best) and regular locations all over the city (AMC Empire will be jammed). Not only that, but the liberty science center is showing the imax film on the dome screen…now that’s intense!!!

William
William on July 9, 2012 at 11:48 am

Isn’t the new 70MM prints from Fox for change-over presentations only? They were not letting platter houses run them on platters.

RobertR
RobertR on July 9, 2012 at 11:37 am

Why have they never played the 70mm Cleopatra print?

RobertR
RobertR on July 9, 2012 at 11:36 am

It would have to be a non-profit or a foundation, the weekly nut at the Ziegfeld is HUGE.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 9, 2012 at 11:35 am

Two years ago I saw the TCM screening of All About Eve at the Ziegfeld, and earlier this year TCM screened To Kill a Mockingbird. Both shows were full houses. If you book the right movies, the people will come. I’ll bet The Amazing Spider-Man is showing to an almost empty Ziegfeld tonight.

AGRoura
AGRoura on July 9, 2012 at 11:15 am

Agree with Bill and William. Install Cinerama and play 70mm classics and classic festivals including 3D films like Dial M For Murder.

William
William on July 9, 2012 at 11:06 am

Maybe thats what New York needs to do. With a game plan like that the Ziegfeld would be saved and New York would get a true State-of-the-Art theatre for the future.

RobertR
RobertR on July 9, 2012 at 10:55 am

We have nothing like them here. The Film Forum programs great but lets face it the cinemas are tiny as are the screens.

William
William on July 9, 2012 at 10:53 am

Yes, the American Cinematheque / Egyptian and Aero Theatres do very well.

William
William on July 9, 2012 at 10:48 am

One thing that would work for the Ziegfeld Theatre. Is to build a ARCLight type plex around it like Pacific Theatres did for the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood. And offer TRUE State-of-the Art movie presentations and retro film & Director series there. And add food and coffee cafe service and make it a one stop GOING TO THE MOVIES type of Theatre.

RobertR
RobertR on July 9, 2012 at 10:40 am

I used to go to the movies once a week but now maybe once a month because of the garbage product. I loved IMAX until they started making IMAX screens that were half the size of the original. I still travel to the Ziegfeld for the festivals or if anything of quality plays there. I have attended the theatre since it opened and have always felt the screen is way to small to really impress. I always hoped they would put in a huge wall to wall curved screen that could give us an experience similar to the Music Hall.