Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 3,501 - 3,525 of 3,938 comments

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on September 26, 2005 at 4:54 am

I am the only one who thinks the score is maybe the worst for a smash Broadway hit? The songs from the movie are fine but the rest are total Broadway schlock. And then there is Nathan Lane. To think that once in this world strode giants like Zero Mostel and Phil Silvers!

ErikH
ErikH on September 24, 2005 at 7:08 am

Update on my last post: According to Boxofficemojo.com, Universal has changed the release strategy for “The Producers.” Opening in limited release on Friday, December 16 with a wide release starting a month later (January 13). Very similar to Miramax’s strategy for “Chicago.”

This would be a perfect attraction for the Ziegfeld.

ErikH
ErikH on September 12, 2005 at 5:39 am

I would have loved to have been at that test screening of “The Producers.” Several sites (including Ain’t It Cool News) have posted comments from the NJ test screening, noting that the audience response was ecstatic.

I attended the first Broadway preview of “The Producers” in March 2001. Even though the intermission lasted 45 minutes due to set problems, no one complained. A smash from day one.

Last I heard, Universal plans a wide release starting on December 21, in contrast to Miramax’s slow rollout of “Chicago,” which had a very successful exclusive run at the Ziegfeld.

Vito
Vito on September 12, 2005 at 4:34 am

Any news about “The Producers” opening in December? Can’t think of any other theatre, except RCMH, that I would like to see it play.
I saw a rough cut at a test screening two weeks ago, let me tell you it is going to be HUGE. The audience reaction was tremendous, I have not seen an audience go so wild over a movie in a very long time.

br91975
br91975 on September 12, 2005 at 3:59 am

Why would Clearview be resuming at the Ziegfeld the engagement of a film (‘The Baxter’) which completely tanked in its 47-theatre, tri-state run, and, from all reports, most notably at the Ziegfeld? Seems to be, to say the least, highly unlikely. I suspect, as per Totoro’s post from September 5th, the Ziegfeld will be re-opening on the 23rd with ‘Flightplan’.

ErikH
ErikH on September 12, 2005 at 2:44 am

The Ziegfeld has been temporarily closed to the public during slow periods for years. Former owners Walter Reade and Cineplex Odeon also shuttered the Ziegfeld on occasion.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on September 12, 2005 at 12:31 am

Has anybody found out any information? I call moviefone and it shows no showtimes. This has me extremely concerned. It seems to be closed.

Forrest136
Forrest136 on September 11, 2005 at 5:10 am

When will it re open or will it?

umbaba
umbaba on September 10, 2005 at 3:00 am

Question: When did the Ziegfeld put in a smaller screen…and WHY??? I remember seeing “Apocalypse Now” and others on what I thought was one of the largest screens I ever saw…until I went to the Astor Plaza (now closed)

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on September 9, 2005 at 9:08 am

Sorry their should be they’re. See how angry theive gotten me.

Vito
Vito on September 9, 2005 at 9:06 am

It’s closed at the moment. They have at least for now put it out of it’s misery

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on September 9, 2005 at 9:06 am

Vito I have found in life to my chargrin that when people seem as if they have no reason or plan they usually have no reason or plan. They really DON’T know what their doing.
Of course they really could be waiting for the right condo or office deal.

hardbop
hardbop on September 9, 2005 at 8:59 am

On my way to MoMA the last couple of nights (why isn’t there a listing for that legendary venue?) and THE BAXTER is on the marquee, but the theatre is dark. I think the Ziegfeld’s days are numbered. Theatres that large are anachronisms, unfortunately.

justme
justme on September 9, 2005 at 7:00 am

Anyone know if (when) RENT will be playing at Ziegfeld?

Vito
Vito on September 9, 2005 at 6:31 am

Good question Vincent, just what the heck is going on with that theatre? What they are doing has to have a reason or a plan of some kind. Clearly they aren’t that stupid as to run the theatre the way they do. It’s really irritating.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on September 9, 2005 at 4:48 am

totoro do you work for the Ziegfeld?
Then why do the people who run the place treat it just like another screening room in a multiplex? What is the point? Shouldn’t they just tear it down and build another office or lux condo building?
Or else treat it like a special event movie theater. Put in a larger curved screen, use it for 70mm special events and show contemporary films as one can see them no where else like the Cinerama Dome in LA.
What is it that I’m missing here?

chibitotoro
chibitotoro on September 5, 2005 at 3:38 pm

Yeah, The Baxter pretty much killed us at the Ziegfeld. As far as I know, the theater is going to be closing down for a little while soon, except for a couple premieres and special functions, then will reopen with Flightplan on the 23rd. I think.

bob2682
bob2682 on September 4, 2005 at 12:46 pm

Cablevision owns both Clearview Cinemas and IFC, so The Baxter will continue to run at the Ziegfeld for a while.

Forrest136
Forrest136 on September 3, 2005 at 1:53 am

Labor Day weekend the perfect time to go to the Movies, and this great theatre is still showing The Baxter? The place must be empty! Clearview wake up!

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on August 30, 2005 at 10:31 am

Only one is a genuine 70mm film but Sweet Charity, Chips and Sixpence I think are 3 very underrated films and certainly deserving of a reevalution with a roadshow type presentation.
Well this past year I was hoping for 70mm anniversary presentations of Lady and SOM but neither came to pass.
I’m still waiting for a cinephile like Scorsese who has a passion for widesceen films to join in the fray and begin to raise funds for a desperately needed widescreen museum. Just lets make it a real one. 50 ft just doesn’t cut it.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 30, 2005 at 8:28 am

Forrest, you have selected some of the worst 70mm musicals ever made; it was over-produced, lumbering dinosaurs like these that helped close some of our best picture palaces. Audences didn’t come to see these movies then, and they won’t come now.

That said, I do agree that a well booked and promoted 70mm fesival is a great idea; any well-selected and well-advertised fesival would help fill the seats in this last example of a New York showplace.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 30, 2005 at 8:03 am

Forrest, you’ve picked some of the worst examples of 70mm musicals, or any 70mm films for that matter; it was these over-produced, bloated spectacles that helped close some of our best picture palaces. Nobody came to see these movies on their original release, and no one will come see them now.

But I do agree that a 70mm festival, or any decently booked and promoted festival, would help fill some seats here.

Forrest136
Forrest136 on August 30, 2005 at 4:53 am

Imagine seeing “Sweet Charity” , “Goodbye Mr. Chips”, “Finians Rainbow”, “STAR!”,or “Half A Sixpence” again in 70mm complete with Overtute Entra Act and Exit Music again!

Forrest136
Forrest136 on August 30, 2005 at 4:53 am

Forrest136
Forrest136 on August 30, 2005 at 4:52 am

Imagine seeing “Sweet Charity” , “Goodbye Mr. Chips”, “Finians Rainbow”, “SATR!”,or “Half A Sixpence” again in 70mm complete with Overtute Entra Act and Exit Music again!