Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 3,501 - 3,525 of 4,086 comments

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 27, 2006 at 6:13 am

We don’t have dates or films scheduled yet. We are working towards this goal.
Most likely our films will be during the summer.
I don’t understand why the link doesn’t work, but I tried it and you are correct. No problem directly going onto our website.
In the meantime, our 1980’s Philadelphia themed film will be at International House in Philadelphia on Friday eve May 12, in 35 MM, Brian DePalma’s Blow Out.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on January 27, 2006 at 6:07 am

Howard that sounds wonderful.
Unfortunately I couldn’t open your page.
When will this be?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 27, 2006 at 4:07 am

We know we will see you, Vince, at our 70 MM film shows at Philadelphia’s Boyd, www.FriendsOfTheBoyd.org, which we are working to have after the movie palace reopens.

There aren’t very many theaters that can still 70 MM since so many have closed. There are others in NYC that would be wonderful venues that likely still have their 70 MM projectors such as the Paris theater.

veyoung52
veyoung52 on January 27, 2006 at 4:02 am

I would love to see a 75mm film festival anywhere!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 27, 2006 at 3:54 am

I’ve seen almost all of these movies on large movie screens, most in reissue, the newer ones when issued, but I haven’t seen The Godfather II on a movie screen and have been eager to catch it immediately after The Godfather I. So, I am looking forward to enjoying The Godfather I and II on the large screen. I think II was issued in 35, not 75, so I won’t be worrying about format. And, I am grateful that we are getting so many great films in 35 MM. Of course, I’d love to see a 75 MM film festival at the Ziegfeld and at Radio City. If many attend this event, then with credibility we could make such a request.

They usually (though not always) use a curtain, but if a projectionist doesn’t, people should tell them that classic film fans NEED a curtain!

I saw Chicago when it was issued at the Ziegfeld, and doubt it was a wise choice, but maybe there are fans who will see it.

Everybody should spread the word, because Rhett is right on the money. The Ziegfeld needs way more people attending than the usual suspects on this site in order to be interested in hosting more classics.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on January 27, 2006 at 3:30 am

The Ziegfeld showed “Vertigo” in 70mm in the fall of 1996. Even though that was almost ten years ago, I’ll bet the projectors are still up there. “Rent” and “The Producers” were not shown digitally at the Ziegfeld.

umbaba
umbaba on January 27, 2006 at 2:56 am

This festival is great for US (all in this room) but what about the public. Will there be a great turnout for every show for some of these films that are too recent and are popular on video?? Chicago…Gladiator…Rings…even Godfathers?? How popular will they be?? After this festival….if it tanks…it’ll take more than us in the chatroom to get another.

BTW…if I’m not mistaken, does Ziegfeld have the projection equipment for 70MM?? I beliebve they don’t…just digital.

DavidM
DavidM on January 26, 2006 at 6:25 pm

Thank you, William for quoting me. For one, I feel it’s time for me to put my money where my mouth (or in this case, my keyboard) is. For years I have hoped to see this kind of Classic Film Presentation in NYC on a regular basis. Perhaps our patronage during this festival will send a clear message to Clearview and Cablevision that this type of moviegoing will be welcomed and supported. Over the next few days, I will be writing to Clearview to give them a hearty congratulations for putting this together. I also invite William and others in the NYC area who post here regularly to contact me so that we may be able to coordinate support for the Classic Series at the Ziegfeld. My contact info appears on my member page. Now, if Bob Endres is in the booth and the curtains will be in use, it’ll be the best!

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on January 26, 2006 at 4:52 pm

The AFI Silver Spring (in MD) theater near me recently showed “My Fair Lady” in glorious 70mm just last week. Unfortunately, I couldn’t attend it. With the high quality projection standards that they have there, I’m sure the showing was a decent one, so perhaps Clearview could secure that print for their classic movies festival.

William
William on January 26, 2006 at 1:26 pm

Many of the 35mm films that are in theatres today use digital technology to create the finished print from a digital intermediate. Its not that the film is being shown in digital, it’s being shown just like any other regular 35mm print.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 26, 2006 at 12:06 pm

I question whether digital technology is at a point where it can faithfully recreate the color saturation of a pristine vintage Technicolor print.

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on January 26, 2006 at 11:44 am

But as of right now, “digital” isn’t even close to 35mm quality. It’s certainly not an ideal archiving medium, either.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on January 26, 2006 at 11:10 am

Won’t digital restore the experience without having to restore actual 70mm prints? It seems to make IMAX redundant as well, since it can blow the film up as much as you like without losing clarity and the sound is as good as your theatre system.

I think this is the reason why no one is too concerned.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on January 26, 2006 at 11:03 am

I am completely baffled that somebody like Scorsese who as one of the most esteemed and powerful men in the film industry and who has a passionate interest in classic films and 70mm has shown no interest and done absolutely nothing to promote its proper presentation in the New York City area.

William
William on January 26, 2006 at 11:01 am

As DavidM posted “We MUST do our best to promote and support this type of presentation.” Because this will give Clearview the testing grounds for future film series at this theatre or even maybe Radio City. The 35mm prints are only a start, because prints are much easier to get and ship. So that keeps their cost down from the start. Remember shipping many of those Roadshow 70MM type titles are anywhere from 10-14 reels long, the shipping to the theatre and later from back into storage will cost alot of money per print. And remember many of those titles may have somewhat new 35mm prints, they have been used many operators. And many of those 70MM titles are no longer available in that format. (Many have been junked for space)

Yes, the magstriping has to be done elsewhere because of EPA guidelines now. The good news is that 20th Century-Fox in the last few years has been restriking from 65mm negs new prints of many of their Roadshow films in 70MM DTS sound. So if this series has the support of many of you on this site, Clearview may find this could be an annual event during slow times of the year. And spend more money to get those red carpet Roadshow movies shown.

DavidM
DavidM on January 26, 2006 at 10:31 am

I think it’s wonderful that Clearview is putting together this festival. We MUST do our best to promote and support this type of presentation. I know I’ll be there. Off topic, is it true that film labs are no longer capable of magnetic striping? Is that the final nail in the 70MM coffin?

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 25, 2006 at 5:52 pm

Sorry for the typo… the word “the” does not belong in that last sentence.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 25, 2006 at 5:50 pm

I think the consensus here was that the likelihood of a 70mm presentation during this series was just about nil. However, Vincent only reported that he confirmed with Clearview that “My Fair Lady” would be a 35mm print. I’m with saps, here… While I’d be thrilled with a 70mm “Ben Hur” or “West Side Story,” all I really ask for are crisp and well cared for prints. Oh yes, and the more series like this one in the Ziegfeld’s future (“2001”, “Spartacus”, “The Wild Bunch” and “Apocalypse Now” all would be high on my wish list).

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on January 25, 2006 at 9:54 am

Is there going to be any films shown in 70mm? It didn’t look like it from the ad.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on January 24, 2006 at 10:53 pm

Here’s a direct link to the film festival:

I’ve seen all the features on the big screen, except Ben-Hur, which I have deliberately avoided on TV and video, just for an occasion like this. I hope it’s not a faded print. Beat-up I could stand, but faded would be hard to watch.

moviebluedog
moviebluedog on January 24, 2006 at 8:36 pm

In regards to “My Fair Lady,” I mistakenly used the word “faded.” Let me just say that the print was in horrible shape all around.

I saw the 1994 re-issue at the Century Plaza and it was spectacular. The opening credits and the scene at the races were simply beautiful on the big screen in 70mm. I had caught bits and pieces of this film on television and never liked it. But seeing it properly made me really like this film.

The last time I saw MFL in 70mm was during a special screening at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood. It was James C. Katz’s personal print and looked very good. I think it can help to have a professional projectionist, like Paul Rayton, who babies the print and makes sure the presentation is nearly perfect.

This Ziegfeld film festival has a very good line-up, despite the lack of 70mm prints. “Raiders Of The Lost Ark” had a brand-new 35mm print struck in 2001, and it was one of the best 35mm presentations I’ve ever seen. (This was an instance when Cal State Long Beach’s film dept. started getting better prints.) With any luck, the Ziegfeld will so happen to get this print (provided it’s still in great shape).

Bill
www.fromscripttodvd.com

William
William on January 24, 2006 at 10:20 am

Yes, I know the Ziegfeld is two projector equipped. It’s up to the owner of the special print to where and how it is played. Because special collection prints can not been loaned out to platter type theatres. If the theatre makes a cut to mount it for platter use the theatre will have to pay a large fee for the damage. It may not be damage to some people but, it is damage to the prints owner.
Another problem in getting 70MM prints from say west coast storage, is the very large cost in shipping to and from the theatre.

Vito
Vito on January 23, 2006 at 12:31 pm

William, the Ziegfeld has reel to reel capabilities. They just choose to run platters most of the time. I will be happy to know the prints are going to be shown reel to reel and not mounted on a platter.

William
William on January 23, 2006 at 11:38 am

One problem in getting special prints from museums and university collections is that the prints can only be played reel to reel. They state in their contracts that the film can’t be plattered, no matter what. Because of the state of the world of film projection, there are too many poorly operated venues.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on January 23, 2006 at 9:56 am

When is the Ziegeld supposed to show MFL? Not that I can get there to see it.
Also I posted this on the posting from Jan 10 on the DVD No More Joy which is a documentary about New Orleans theaters that closed. It is wonderful. I only wish we could get one on all the wonderful theaters Phila and NYC lost. It is well worth the $15.00 and is a benefit for hurricane Katrina victims. Any movie buff will really enjoy this even if you never have been to New Orelans.