Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 3,551 - 3,575 of 3,935 comments

uncleal923
uncleal923 on August 4, 2005 at 8:16 pm

I guess he plays in the combo.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 4, 2005 at 7:00 pm

No orchestra, just a string quartet. And a jazz combo that plays on Saturday nights. Not.

Coate
Coate on August 4, 2005 at 2:40 pm

Sorry…wrong link provided a couple of posts ago re the “Sky High” DLP shows. Here is the correct one.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on August 4, 2005 at 8:36 am

I know someone who ushers at the Ziegfeld and is in the orchestra. I am surprised to hear they have an orchestra at this theater because it’s clearly not old enough to have been built for stage presentation.

umbaba
umbaba on August 4, 2005 at 6:48 am

Posters….Re: “Island” DLP.

I saw the film in NJ in 35MM an excellent print, but let me save you all who are debating where to see it…it is a horrible film, a complete bore, lousy acting, bad story, worse directing. Action scenes you’ve seen 200,000 times. Seeing it in DLP wouldn’t help your experience believe me, Ziegfeld or not…skip this one, wait for the DVD

Coate
Coate on August 4, 2005 at 4:00 am

“The DLP website doesn’t indicate a DLP Ziegfeld booking either. Check it out at DLP.com, but then again, they don’t have the Loews Rio venue as having it either”

Is this the Rio in Gaithersburg, MD?

The dlp.com site notes only a fraction of the DLP shows for the current titles in release, “The Island,” “Sky High,” and “Episode III.” A more comprehensive source for digital projection screenings I’d recommend (pardon the plug) is at the www.FromScriptToDVD.com website.

BobT
BobT on August 3, 2005 at 9:28 am

I’m looking at this past Sunday’s New York Post (July 31,2005) and the ad for “The Island” has The Ziegfeld listed first with a box around it and the DPL logo. The only other theatre listed as DPL is the ADM’s Pavilion Theatre in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

ErikH
ErikH on August 3, 2005 at 7:49 am

I disagree about the Times. I had been considering seeing “The Island” at the Ziegfeld during its first week of release but had difficulty fitting a screening into my schedule (and decided against seeing it after hearing bad word of mouth). I checked the Times' ads for “The Island” daily during that first week, and each edition indicated that the Ziegfeld (and Loews 34th Street) were presenting the film digitally in Manhattan.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on August 3, 2005 at 7:41 am

The DLP website doesn’t indicate a DLP Ziegfeld booking either. Check it out at DLP.com, but then again, they don’t have the Loews Rio venue as having it either, yet they advertise a DLP showing of it.

Coate
Coate on August 3, 2005 at 7:37 am

“The advertisements in the NY Times for ‘The Island’ have consistently stated DLP for the screenings at the Ziegfeld.”

No, it hasn’t. For a period of time, Loews 34th Street was the Manhattan venue advertising DLP. And none of the online ticket ordering services that I’ve checked have indicated DLP for the Ziegfeld, either. Nor has Clearview’s page for the Ziegfeld been indicating DLP.

Which NYC area DLP shows are noted in today’s NY TIMES?

Vito
Vito on August 3, 2005 at 6:56 am

“The Island” will limp along till “The Great Raid” opens Aug 12th

ErikH
ErikH on August 3, 2005 at 5:53 am

The advertisements in the NY Times for “The Island” have consistently stated DLP for the screenings at the Ziegfeld.

Given the fast flop of “The Island” I wouldn’t be surprised if the Ziegfeld will soon go dark temporarily—-which as other posters have noted, has happened from time to time over the years.

Coate
Coate on August 2, 2005 at 8:43 pm

Anyone see “The Island” here at the Ziegfeld? If so, did they show it on film or in DLP Digital Projection? There seems to be some confusion over what format is being shown.

RobertR

1974 the 70mm “That’s Entertainment” was a smash here

RobertR
RobertR on July 13, 2005 at 7:40 pm

1974 the 70mm “That’s Entertainment” was a smash here

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on July 13, 2005 at 1:14 pm

It IS a lovely place to see a film, but as other posters have noted, there is room for a larger screen.

moviesmovies
moviesmovies on July 13, 2005 at 8:39 am

it was a lovely place to see film

moviesmovies
moviesmovies on July 13, 2005 at 8:39 am

i saw ‘Ryan’s Daughter’, ‘Fame’, ‘The Rose’ and ‘Earthquake’ here in the ‘70s.

chibitotoro
chibitotoro on July 11, 2005 at 10:32 pm

For anyone interested:

The premiere of The Wedding Crashers is here on Wednesday, and next week (I think it’s Monday but don’t quote me on that just yet) is the premiere of Bad News Bears.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on July 10, 2005 at 10:08 pm

I made it to this place to see Star Wars Episode 3 in early June. Very nice theatre with ornate decor and a nice sound system. Screen is way way way too small for a theatre of this magnitude. Also, $10.00 for an afternoon show? What the heck! Oh well…at least I made it. Next trip, though, I’m headed to Loews Lincoln Square…which will probably be AMC Lincoln Square the next time I’m in NYC

Vito
Vito on June 30, 2005 at 12:24 pm

Well it opened fairly well with an opening day total of 21.8 million,
making it the 7th largest opening. “Batman Begins” did 15.1, but “Star Wars” had a 50 million opening day. It will do ok, but not the summer blockbuster the industry needs right now. I don’t see it beating or coming close to last years “Spider-man 2”

Vito
Vito on June 30, 2005 at 12:20 pm

Well it opened fairly well with an opening day total of 21.8 million,
making it the 7th largest opening. “Batman Begins” did 15.1, but Star Wars had a 50 million opening day. It will do ok, but not the summer blockbuster the industry needs right now. I don’t see it beating or coming close to last years Spider-man 2