Ziegfeld Theatre

1974 the 70mm “That’s Entertainment” was a smash here

RobertR
RobertR on July 13, 2005 at 4:40 pm

1974 the 70mm “That’s Entertainment” was a smash here

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on July 13, 2005 at 10:14 am

It IS a lovely place to see a film, but as other posters have noted, there is room for a larger screen.

moviesmovies
moviesmovies on July 13, 2005 at 5:39 am

it was a lovely place to see film

moviesmovies
moviesmovies on July 13, 2005 at 5:39 am

i saw ‘Ryan’s Daughter’, ‘Fame’, ‘The Rose’ and ‘Earthquake’ here in the ‘70s.

chibitotoro
chibitotoro on July 11, 2005 at 7:32 pm

For anyone interested:

The premiere of The Wedding Crashers is here on Wednesday, and next week (I think it’s Monday but don’t quote me on that just yet) is the premiere of Bad News Bears.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on July 10, 2005 at 7:08 pm

I made it to this place to see Star Wars Episode 3 in early June. Very nice theatre with ornate decor and a nice sound system. Screen is way way way too small for a theatre of this magnitude. Also, $10.00 for an afternoon show? What the heck! Oh well…at least I made it. Next trip, though, I’m headed to Loews Lincoln Square…which will probably be AMC Lincoln Square the next time I’m in NYC

Vito
Vito on June 30, 2005 at 9:24 am

Well it opened fairly well with an opening day total of 21.8 million,
making it the 7th largest opening. “Batman Begins” did 15.1, but “Star Wars” had a 50 million opening day. It will do ok, but not the summer blockbuster the industry needs right now. I don’t see it beating or coming close to last years “Spider-man 2”

Vito
Vito on June 30, 2005 at 9:20 am

Well it opened fairly well with an opening day total of 21.8 million,
making it the 7th largest opening. “Batman Begins” did 15.1, but Star Wars had a 50 million opening day. It will do ok, but not the summer blockbuster the industry needs right now. I don’t see it beating or coming close to last years Spider-man 2

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on June 30, 2005 at 2:55 am

I saw it yesterday and agree with the above comments. But then the 1953 version wasn’t involving on any human level either, nor, for that matter, the H. G. Wells novel (and infamous Orson Welles radio broadcast) on which all were based. The whole story is a fear-fest, in any rendition of it you care to choose.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on June 30, 2005 at 2:32 am

A mile wide and an inch deep.

chconnol
chconnol on June 30, 2005 at 2:26 am

Judging from some of the more objective reviews (not the ridiculous hack critics like Joel Siegel) “War of the Worlds” sounds techically impressive but emotionally thin and uninvolving on a real human emotional level like “E.T.” or even “Close Encounters”. In other words, audiences might be “wowed” by it much like they do at a very expensive interactive theme park ride but they won’t walk away with much to remember it by. And THAT (IMO) is exactly what is so wrong with American films today. They’re all $200 million spectacles without an ounce of anything to relate to.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 30, 2005 at 1:38 am

I saw “War of the Worlds” there last night. I had some problems with the humans in the movie – some of the scenes just didn’t make any sense – but the alien war machines are a truly awesome sight. And the Ziegfeld’s sound system came through spectacularly with some of the loudest and most frightening sound effects I’ve ever heard.

Vito
Vito on June 30, 2005 at 1:23 am

From Richard Roper:
At last week’s premiere of “War of the Worlds” at the Ziegfeld Theater in New York, guests had to surrender cell phones and handbags to security personnel.You know, because of the whole piracy thing. Even though you can’t get more than about 30 seconds of grainy video with your camera phone, and you’d have to be a blithering nincompoop to take out a personal video camera at a major premiere and attempt to point-and-shoot at the screen for two hours.
But here’s the beauty part. The New York Times reported that among those who had to check their personal belongings were actors Alec Baldwin, Tim Robbins — who has an extended cameo in “War of the Worlds” — and the film’s director, Steven Spielberg.
That’s right. They took away Spielberg’s cell phone.
Unbelievable. That makes about as much sense as frisking Donald Trump as he enters Trump Tower, asking Hugh Hefner for ID at a party at the Playboy Mansion, or making sure Bono isn’t sneaking in a tape recorder to a U2 concert.
When you’re taking away Steven Spielberg’s cell phone at a premiere of a movie DIRECTED BY STEVEN SPIELBERG, you’re not just doing your job, you’re following the orders of monumentally silly people.

Coate
Coate on June 29, 2005 at 9:17 pm

The Ziegfeld was among the handful of theaters that was equipped with Cinema Digital Sound (CDS), the 1990-1991 precursor to the contemporary digital sound formats.

Butch
Butch on June 29, 2005 at 5:55 pm

The gold drapery,teaser,and black undermasking were all removed and filled in with the largest possible somewhat deeply curved screen (27 by 63 feet). The sound system was also upgraded for this 70mm presentation. The result was a poor imitation of the original Cinerama, however the screen should have been maintained for future 70mm blockbusters.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on June 29, 2005 at 5:40 pm

Now, the current screen must be only 40', as it appears to be about the same size as Baltimore’s Senator. So, how can they properly show Cinerama on a flat screen that is only 40' wide?

RobertR
RobertR on June 29, 2005 at 3:19 pm

Here is a great ad from the half assed revival of “This is Cinerama” in 1973.

frannieb
frannieb on June 29, 2005 at 2:23 pm

While browsing the comments here I remembered how I went to the Rivoli for my 10th birthday to see Dr. Zhivago. We also saw The Sound of Music there. I believe we also saw Dr. Doolittle there, or maybe that was at Radio City. The entire family would get all dressed up, my dad would get the car out of the lot and we’d make our way uptown. My sisters and I would sightsee all the way, I was fascinated by “Fascination” in Times Square! After the show we’d all go to The Old Homestead for dinner. It was a big event to go to the movies as a family while growing up in NYC.

If we wanted to see Batman & Robin or Beatles movies, we walked to the Loew’s (Low-eez) on Delancey St. or the Essex St. theater. :o)

I miss those days.

deleted user
[Deleted] on June 29, 2005 at 1:31 am

Universal presents KING KONG. World Premiere Monday, 12 December 2005. Regular performances start Wednesday, 14 December 2005.

umbaba
umbaba on June 27, 2005 at 2:35 am

The girl taking the tickets was courteous, she said, welcome to clearview etc. It was the box-office girl that was rude…wheres the manager during this. Why do they put people with no personality at the boxoffice where people are paying .

It would be nice if the Ziegfeld closed the Summer with a classic bigscreen film. But “That’ll be the day”

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on June 26, 2005 at 5:08 am

Okay, I do remember the not-so-friendly cashier at the booth, who, on this day, was reading a book. She and the ticket taker were watching, in bemusement, as I was trying to buy our tickets using the automatic kiosk. It didn’t work, so I ended up buying it from her. She did say “enjoy the show” and that was about it. Rude, well, its NYC. At least told us to enjoy the show, perhaps she sensed we were out of town… :)

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on June 26, 2005 at 4:49 am

Rhett, post your comment on the Walter Reade page. Who knows?…it might draw some attention.

umbaba
umbaba on June 26, 2005 at 4:11 am

I ventured in to NYC to see “Revenge of the Sith” in Digital before it ends in a few days. I must say I was impressed. It was one of the hottest days and I see that the Ziegfeld has fixed the Air conditioner problem. maybe too good, I had to put a jacket on but didn’t mind. When I saw “Atack of the Clones” it was another hot day and the ac didn’t work, I baked. Another reason Ididn’t like the film. But now I saw all 3 new Star Wars on the Ziegfeld screen…and the digital for Sith was impressive. The curtain actually opened then closed before the previews, the closed curtains brought back “Apocalypse Now” memories from ‘79.

Question: How much theater remodeling have they done since the theater opened??

My only gripe…after paying a whopping $10.75, the box office girl never even looked up at me, she was busy writing a letter, and didn’t even say thank you….to quote C-3PO…“How rude”

Later, I went to the Walter Reade for a screening of “Atlantic City” great flick, great print, big screen….but that theater is starting to get the grundgy look, messy walls, no closed curtain….they need to remodel.