Showing 426 - 450 of 453 comments
The last movie to debut at The Sameric was “The Scorpion King”
The Eric Fern Rock theatre was originaly owned by RKO Stanley Warner, which is now known as Loews Cineplex, and they sold the theatre, along with The Boyd, The Ardmore and the Plaza Moorestown, to The Sameric Co. in the late 1960’s to mid 1970’s, before being acquired by Century Theatres (Thus becoming RKO Century Warner Theatres)
There are 2 theatres that are near Times Square that are used, The Loews E-Walk and the AMC Empire 25
The official address of The Broadway Theatre was: 2042 S. Broad Street, not 2014-28 S. Broad Street. Ths theatre opened in 1913 and was demolished in 1971. The Walgreen’s is located several feet to the south, at 2014-24 S. Broad St., which, along with the Broadway Theatre site, is on the same block. (W. Snyder Ave-S. Broad St.-W. Passyunk Ave.-S. 15th St.)
The official address of The RKO Stanley Warner Cheltenham Theatre was The Cheltenham Shopping Center. The current Cheltenham Square Mall was the former Cheltenham Shopping Center. Budco Theatres acquired The Cheltenham Twin Theatres in 1984.
It was here at the Fox Theatre in 1976 the the southern rock group Lynyrd Skynyrd recorded their “One More For The Road” live LP. This album is on of Lynyrd Skynyrd best selling albums to date.
In sunday November 30, 2003 edition of The Philadelphia Inquirer, the Goldenberg Group published an advertisement which states their views on the Boyd/REG UA Sameric 4 Theatre and how they and Clear Channel Enertainment are trying to win support in making The sameric 4 a live Broadway theatre.
The Regency Theatre was opened in the late 1960’s by The William Goldman theatre Co. (Budco Theatres original name), and was demolished, along with The Fox, The Stanton/Milgram, The duke & Duchess, and The Stage Door, and replaced by The Liberty Plaza complex.
The Uptown, when not being used by The RKO Stanley Warner chain in the 1960’s, hosted a lot of concerts from the big names of Motown Records. They include Marvin Gaye, The Supremes & The Temptations.
The 69th Street, The Tower and The Terminal Theatres were part of the heart of Upper Darby, the PTC/Red Arrow/P&W 69th Street Terminal area. Today that legacy is carried by Regal Entertainment Group’s 69th Street Theatre 9 complex on s. 69th Street, 1 block south of The Tower Theatre.
The Earle was Philadelphia’s first concert theatre, before The Uptown, The tower, The Spectrum, The First Union-Wachovia Center, and The Tweeter Center. It was originally called “Elrae” before it’s opening in 1924. It was one of Philadelphia’s finest theatres, including The Palace, The Fox, The Stanley, The Boyd/REG Sameric 4, and The Mastbaum
The Tower Theatre recently was renovated (End of 2001/beginning of 2002) and had the Rolling Stones in mid September, 2002
The REG United Artists Pennsauken Theatre has 11 Screens, not 10 Screens
To see the famous portrait of The Paradise Theatre LP cover, go to
The County was owned by The William Goldman Theatre Co., and then later by Budco Theatre Co. and American Multi-Cinema Inc. (AMC Theatres). It was twinned by Budco Theatres (Who also owned The Doylestown Barn/AMC Barn 5 Theatre). For more info, go to:
The famous painting of the Gala opening of the Paradise Theatre has been reproduced on Styx’s 1980 album “Paradise Theatre”, on A&M/Geffen/Interscope Records.
This album also had a painting, on the back cover of the Paradise Theatre after it was closed. For more information, go to www.styxworld.com
The William Goldman’s Orleans originally had 900 seats, before it was twinned (Today, the original Orleans is the current Orleans' Theatre # 3 & #4). Visit <www.amctheatres.com> for info
The Erlanger was never owned by The Stanley Co., The Stanley Warner Co., The RKO Stanley Warner Co. or The RKO Century Warner Co.
This theatre was were Aerosmith first got noticed, under the Acamdey Of Music name
AMC officially returned to the New England area with the acquiring of the General Cinema chain. It officially took place March 29, 2002. For more information , go to www.amctheatres.com
The Mastbaum was one of Center City Philadelphia’s grand theatres. the others included: The Stanley, The Boyd/Sameric 4, The Aldine/Sam’s Place Twin, the Fox, The Stanton, The Palace and The Earle Theatres (At one point, all of Center City Philadelphia’s grand theatres were owned by The Stanley Warner Theatre Co.
The Uptown opened in 1928 by The Stanley Warner Theatre Co.
The design of Loew’s State Theatre was used for Philadelphia, PA’s Fox Theatre at 16th & Market Streets.
Philadelphia Mayor John Street, in his weekly radio address this past Saturday (Aug 10, 2002) has vowed to save the RKO Stanley Warner’s Boyd/United Artists Sameric 4 Theatre. The last time I was in the Sameric was in Feb of this year to see “Black Hawk Down”. If anything should be demolished on the Sameric 4, get rid of the 3 smaller screens, they are not of historical value. Screen #1 is the original 2500 seats of the Boyd. Thank you