Ziegfeld Theatre

Showing 26 - 50 of 4,045 comments

Giles
Giles on October 5, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Brad Miller from over at Film Tech states the sound IS NOT mag sound

Vito
Vito on October 4, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Additional investigation has me confused the stories about the sound format are conflicting I shall look further and perhaps others will a well. I may have been given inaccurate information.

thebrat
thebrat on October 4, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Where did you hear about the sound being 6-track mag? Give us your sources because those two links said the sound on 70mm prints is digital.

Vito
Vito on October 4, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Two Interesting articles on Interstellar

Also of great interest is the news that the sound on the 70mm prints is 6 track magnetic not DTS and 35mm four track prints are also available with the Carthay Circle Theatre planning on one of the prints being shown will be 35mm Magnetic, How fun!

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on October 4, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Giles I really don’t I guess I need to look it up

Giles
Giles on October 3, 2014 at 7:02 am

‘Mike’ you seriously don’t know nothing about Christopher Nolan’s ‘Interstellar’? I find that hard to believe. Or were you talkimg about ‘The Master’?

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on October 3, 2014 at 2:20 am

Anyone know if by some chance they fixed the curtains?

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on October 3, 2014 at 2:19 am

I thought the last film filmed in 70 MM was The Master. I know nothing about this film.

mhvbear
mhvbear on October 2, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Looks like 35mm prints at the Chelsea and Union Square. I am surprised either one still had 35mm equipment.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 2, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Hello-

I do hope Interstellar gives this theater a nice boost. but is it really necessary to order tickets in advance? since the studios started opening films at 2,000-3,000 theaters on the same I don’t think its necessary. I have found that no matter how well received a film is critically you know you’ll get a seat even on Sat. and Sun.. in the past few years the only time I have seen a substantial crowd was the day after Christmas 2012 when I saw Les Miserables. the theater was approx. a 3rd full.

mhvbear
mhvbear on October 2, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Tickets are on sale for the 70mm presentation of ‘Interstellar’. The print version of the film is getting a 2 day jump on the Digital release. Hopefully this will give the old girl a bump. The only other 70mm print will be at the Cinema 1. With the 15/70mm print at the Lincoln Square IMAX. Any 35mm prints in NYC? I didn’t see any listed. https://interstellar.withgoogle.com/ways-to-see

thebrat
thebrat on October 1, 2014 at 9:03 pm

It appears that Interstellar will be showing here in standard 70MM. I hope this isn’t another “The Master” in regards to surround sound.

Please, oh I beg please, Bow-Tie, do NOT fuck this up.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 22, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 22, 2014 at 10:15 pm

According to the New York Times, A Daughter of the Gods opened October 17, 1916 at the Lyric theater; review was headlined: KELLERMANN FILM SHOWN AT THE LYRIC; “Daughter of the Gods” an Elaborate Amphibious Picture for the Submersible Star."

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 22, 2014 at 9:20 pm

to Al A.–

you have always been most kind to help me with my inquiries so I have a good one.I hope you don’t mind me posting it on this page since I have no idea what page would be best. do you know of a site that would convert 1916 dollars to 2014 dollars? the reason i ask is simple. as you know at least 50% of feature films from the silent era are lost. one HUGE film from that era I have always wished would be found is A Daughter of the Gods from 1916 starring Annette Kellerman. it cost a cool $1,000,000 the 1st American film to do so. so I always wondered what that $1,000,000 of 1916 would be in 2014 dollars.

NYer
NYer on September 21, 2014 at 11:29 pm

20th Century Fox opened their animated “Anastasia” in a world wide exclusive on November 14 1997. Opening ad in photos.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 21, 2014 at 8:14 pm

“MOULIN ROUGE” was exclusive only for two weeks. “EDWARD SCISSORHANDS” opened in the boroughs after three weeks, but the Ziegfeld run was a Manhattan exclusive for over two months.

jw1968
jw1968 on September 21, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Didn’t Moulin Rouge open exclusively at the Ziegfeld in May 2001?

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 19, 2014 at 6:37 pm

bigjoe59, the answer might be “EDWARD SCISSORHANDS”.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 18, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Hello to All-

has anyone remembered what the last new studio film to play this theater on an exclusive run was? obviously such films as the restored Vertigo and the special 2 week runs of The Princess and the Frog and Dreamgirls before they opened wide don’t count. I can’t remember so thanks for the assistance.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on September 18, 2014 at 10:09 pm

cmbussmann loud previews seems to be the thing. We have Regal and Carolina cinemas here and the loudness of the previews is ridiculous.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on September 18, 2014 at 8:07 pm

This is the most famous Bow Tie Cinema in the world.

Bruce C.
Bruce C. on September 18, 2014 at 3:27 pm

I love this theater and make an attempt to go each time I am in NYC. Personally, I am not concerned with the curtain. I am more annoyed by rude audience members (using cell phones, talking, etc.) but they won’t keep me from going to the movies.

cmbussmann
cmbussmann on September 18, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Hadn’t been to the Ziegfeld in awhile, not since Bow Tie took over, and I thought they had the place looking nice. My only complaint (I’m not as big on the curtain as others here are) is that the previews were way too loud, much louder than the feature. I was tempted to get my earplugs out!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 10, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I like that photo, the one with the curtain. I posted it. I’ve taken my own photos but not as nice as this one. During the years we weren’t allowed to post photos, somebody sent that photo to me with the request that I share it, which is what I did. Haven’t seen the curtain close at the Ziegfeld in a while, so can’t take new photos with current camera of it closed.

Today’s movie theaters are starting to also not even use masking! New multiplexes & redone movie houses have decided that with digital film, masking isn’t needed, even when the screen isn’t filled with the movie image. So we keep going further away from proper presentations….