Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 26 - 50 of 4,406 comments

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 14, 2016 at 6:46 pm

Maybe AMC Loews Lincoln Square or Village East to name a few places to show 70mm film, JackIndiana.

JackIndiana
JackIndiana on March 14, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Now who’s going to run the restored 70MM version of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA in NYC? Nothing like seeing it at the Ziegfeld.

NYer
NYer on March 2, 2016 at 5:32 pm

If you look in the photo section, I have posted ads of some of the The Ziegfeld’s exclusives. If a picture opened in the suburbs, they were included in the ad, see “A Star Is Born” or “White Nights”. “Pink Floyd’s The Wall”, “Quest For Fire”, Martin Scorsese’s “The Last Temptation Of Christ” were all here only.“Anastasia” even states The Ziegfeld is the only theater in the world playing it.

SethLewis
SethLewis on March 2, 2016 at 8:39 am

Fellini’s Roma or Sleuth arguably the last NY exclusives that did not day date with the suburbs

patryan6019
patryan6019 on March 2, 2016 at 4:07 am

So if you remember them you should be able to answer your own question. Maybe that friend you mentioned days ago can help or is he only tv curious.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on March 1, 2016 at 11:06 pm

to Mike-

for the first several years the Ziegfeld did have 1st runs that were paired with a UA theater on Long Island and a UA theater in New Jersey. this is how Earthquake was exhibited. granted this wasn’t an exclusive run for the NYC area but it was an exclusive for Manhattan. on the other hand I do remember a few that were exclusive for the entire NYC area. so which ever type it was what the last exclusive run of a big studio film at the Ziegfeld?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on March 1, 2016 at 10:01 pm

I don’t think the Ziegfeld ever had a traditional open-ended exclusive run, but you can review the lists I re-posted earlier of nearly every movie that played here and check the dates of the engagements.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on March 1, 2016 at 9:40 pm

Hello-

I should have been more precise in my question. when I asked what was the last time the studios used the Ziegfeld for an exclusive 1st run Manhattan engagement I should have said those special one or two week runs of say Dreamgirls, The Princess and the Frog and Nine before they opened wide don’t count. I mean a regular open ended run.

patryan6019
patryan6019 on March 1, 2016 at 4:56 am

The last exclusive run was “Nine” for one week.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on February 26, 2016 at 10:53 pm

Hello to All- as much as I try not to think about it makes me sad whenever I think of the fact that the last single screen movie palace in Manhattan as closed. the interesting point being that the 1st movie palace built in Manhattan the Regent at 116 St. and Lenox Ave. is still with us. though its been a church for 46? years I hear they’ve kept the interior at least in darn good shape.

which got me thinking. after their debut at Koster and Bial’s Music Hall in April of 1896 movies took off like wildfire. now no movie theaters existed so for the first few years of the biz whatever picture houses existed in Manhattan were music halls, vaudeville or even legitimate theaters that were converted to show movies. but what was the very 1st theater built brick by brick from the ground up with the intent of being a picture house to use the old term.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 13, 2016 at 5:02 pm

I’ve added a comment to the photo so it would confuse everybody else, too.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 13, 2016 at 4:55 pm

Howard: that was in response to bigjoe59 asking for the TV listings for a certain day in 1950. Nothing to do with the Ziegfeld, but I didn’t know how else to post the image so he could see it.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 13, 2016 at 4:12 pm

Bill, on Feb 8 you added a “Leading Events Today” item to the photo gallery but I don’t see Ziegfeld relevance. Was something cut off the item or what don’t I understand?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 13, 2016 at 3:43 pm

I’d like to add 1974’s “That’s Entertainment” to the list. Somehow that movie was a perfect fit for the Ziegfeld. A year later, “Tommy” gave the Ziegfeld’s sound system a spectacular workout the likes of which it would never have again.

I took Mike’s advice and watched “Marooned” on TCM yesterday, making believe I was seeing it in the Ziegfeld.

NYer
NYer on February 12, 2016 at 11:47 pm

The thing about the “exclusive” Ziegfeld engagement is that it was truly exclusive. Pictures like “Ryan’s Daughter”, “Cabaret”, “Close Encounters”, and “Apocalypse Now” played here only for weeks sometimes months in the entire tri-state area. “Tommy” played here exclusively twice, the second time in 70MM for months before opening wide. Can you imagine a “Close Encounters” type movie opening today in one theater for two months before it opened in Queens, on Long Island, New Jersey or Connecticut?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 12, 2016 at 10:42 pm

maybe Dreamgirls in 2007 but don’t tell me a short period of time doesn’t count. http://www.playbill.com/news/article/listen-dreamgirls-begins-roadshow-engagement-at-nycs-ziegfeld-dec.-15-137050

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on February 12, 2016 at 10:01 pm

to Howard B. –

you are quite knowledgeable so I have a question
that I can’t remember the answer to. what was the
last “big” studio film to have an exclusive
Manhattan engagement at the Ziegfeld?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 12, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Also, Gandhi (1981) was shown for 31 weeks, another famous film showcased prominently here!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 12, 2016 at 7:36 pm

That’s a subjctive determintion, but I was the one who added the movies in the 2nd to last paragraph of the Intro so I will say that Ryan’s Daughter, Cabaret, Close Encounters, and Apocalpyse Now (the original run)were among the most famous new movies that were showcased for a long period of time at the Ziegfeld. Also if by expanded version of Apocalpyse Now, you mean Redux, that was issued only in 35mm & in NYC, at the Astor Plaza.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on February 12, 2016 at 7:15 pm

What movie was the most famous out of all the movies to play at this theater? I say to me I think of the Star Wars movies that started with the Special Editions and continued through the prequels and then Episode VII. Sadly its sister theater in Chelsea will show Episode VIII and IX for the foreseeable future. I sadly didn’t get to go to this theater like my dad did back when movies that came out started out at this theater. He actually enjoyed watching Apocalypse Now in split surround 70mm dolby stereo on a decent size screen. I got to experience it the same way on DVD in both the original cut that was shown at this theater and the expanded version in the 70mm ratio. The bluray release of AN shows the movie in HD in its correct 35mm ratio.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on February 12, 2016 at 5:57 pm

The first movie to play here – Marooned – is on TCM this afternoon at 5:45pm (eastern). Watch it on your laptop or iwatch and weep for what we’ve lost…

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 10, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Would like screenings at the Hollywood, now church http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/312

RobertR
RobertR on February 10, 2016 at 9:15 pm

I wonder now where premieres and screenings will be held? Other than HUGE spaces like Radio City or the Beacon there are no 1000-1500 seat auditoriums. The Broadway legit houses should make some money during their dark periods and make their theaters available. After all Gigi played roadshow at the Royale

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on February 10, 2016 at 8:44 pm

OMG, I just posted the saddest pic in the photo section