Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 26 - 50 of 4,138 comments

markp on August 4, 2015 at 2:15 pm

I heard many years ago, and perhaps someone here can confirm it, that the owners of the building want a movie theatre here and years ago wouldnt let Cineplex (I believe) twin it or alter it. If this is the case, then theres hope another chain or operator will come along.

bigjoe59 on August 4, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Hello Again-

as did xbs2034 I found the projection and audio first rate. I have friends who have never been here and highly recommend they visit it.

now every so often a poster on this page mentions the Ziegfeld’s “eminent closing”. unless a poster has rock solid reliable uncontestable info as to this theater’s “eminent closing” please don’t get fans of this theater worried about the theater’s demise with just vague oft repeated rumors.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on August 4, 2015 at 12:56 pm

Cablevision owns the theatre lease, not the building.

fred1 on August 4, 2015 at 12:13 pm

This theater is still owned by Cablevison and operated by Bowtie. Once Cablevision able to find a buyer for the building the theater will ceased operation.

xbs2034 on August 4, 2015 at 7:42 am

I went to Mission Impossible here as well (also saw Ant-Man a couple weeks back as I want to go here as much as possible if it is indeed closing soon). And actually, not only was the presentation quality great as usual, but at that showing (7:30 PM Friday) there was a decent crowd of a couple hundred people- not nearly sold out but more than I usually see there.

HowardBHaas on August 3, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Scroll back or google “Ziegfeld may close” as the prior operator Cablevision (Cleaview)is losing money paying the rent. BowTie is operating it under that arrangement.

bigjoe59 on August 3, 2015 at 2:11 pm

I went to the first screening of Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation which was 10:45 a.m. yesterday Sun. 8/2. and I agree with Howard H. that the projection and sound were A+. but I was saddene to see that at most there were 25? people in the audience. there were a lot more people buying tickets for the next showing.

also what is all this talk about the eminent closing of this theater? I read all three NYC papers and lots on the web but have not come across anything that recent. are there links to these rather recent articles about the alleged eminent closing of the Ziegfeld?

HowardBHaas on August 2, 2015 at 12:42 pm

I don’t speak for Bow Tie but I will say Bow Tie is still operating the Ziegfeld. Walter Reade’s return is only the historic nameplate.

Mikeoaklandpark on August 2, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Did Bow Tie take their sign down? I know Walter Reade Theaters have been long sold off but it would be great if their family restarted the company by taking over this wonderful gem.

HowardBHaas on August 2, 2015 at 6:07 am

I saw the new Mission Impossible movie at the Ziegfeld yesterday, with great projection & surround sound. As has been the pattern for some time, the curtain isn’t used for regular movies but I was told by someone in charge (not on scene) that it works just fine! On the theater marquee can be seen A Walter Reade Theater, for the 1st time since in years since before the current operator BowTie put their nameplate there, Clearview covered it up with their own nameplate. This year’s news reports have indicated that the Ziegfeld’s future is endangered, so visit & enjoy while open!

xbs2034 on July 3, 2015 at 9:07 am

It would be great if they fixed the curtain and used it for all screenings. But when we know the theater loses a lot of money and may be closing soon (obviously nobody knows outside of Cablevision/BowTie but I wouldn’t be shocked if they close the theater after the summer movie season as that usually is a slow time for the Ziegfeld), I don’t think they are looking to spend even a couple thousand on a fix which is not necessary for the theater to operate normally.

movieguy on June 25, 2015 at 11:53 am

They really should fix the curtain I don’t think it’ll be much spent a couple thousand at most. What is the point of having a nice thick Curtian that doesn’t open and close!! It just hangs there sadly

markp on June 25, 2015 at 11:04 am

Yes Mike (saps) I use to open and close the curtain and raise and lower the lights.

movieguy on June 24, 2015 at 5:31 pm

I am sure the theater will still be open and showing movies on the Dec 19th 2015 when Star Wars opens

movieguy on June 24, 2015 at 5:30 pm

The last time I went to the Ziegfeld to see the second best exotic Marigold Hotel. I spoke to some of the employees to inquire why the curtain is not being used anymore. As I know they used it during interstellar. To boil it down they basically said that the mechanism had broken during one showing of interstellar. To boil it down they basically said that the mechanism was broken and it needed to be fixed but they weren’t sure if bowtie Was going to invest the money to fix it.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on June 24, 2015 at 5:18 pm

And how to push the button to close the frikkin curtain…

markp on June 24, 2015 at 9:05 am

You can learn anything on the internet these days. But if you were like me, then you actually worked with the different formats. During my 39 years as a projectionist, I worked with 16, 35, and 70MM film, 15/70 IMAX, Digital. Aspect ratios of 1.37, 1.66, 1.75, 1.85, 2.25, 2.35, 2.55. Thats about all you need to know back then to put on a good show.

jomalley on June 23, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Hey moviebuff82 you seems to be very knowledgeable about formats and projection stuff. Wondering how you learned this?

moviebuff82 on June 23, 2015 at 1:22 pm

I hope star wars plays at this theater if the theater is still around…

StanMalone on June 23, 2015 at 7:10 am

Thank you Walter for that well written and informative comment. I am only occasional visitor to NYC but I used to work for Loew’s and Walter Reade so I enjoy following the comments for these NYC theatres. Although I am sure it was old news to New Yorkers I enjoyed the article in the Post that you linked to as well as a link in the article about some of the long gone NYC theatres.

Atlanta has done even worse than New York when it comes to plowing under its theatre history and replacing it with the slick megaplexes of today. One survivor which might be of interest to followers of this page is the old Martin Rialto which is almost an exact duplicate of the Ziegfeld. Since it was built in 1962 you could even say the Ziegfeld is a copy of the Rialto.

On the Rialto page are some photos from which anyone who has attended the Ziegfeld can see the resemblence. There are also photos of the Rialto today in its role as the performing arts center for Georgia State University.

bigjoe59 on June 22, 2015 at 6:48 pm

the main reason for the Ziegfeld’s often mentioned possible closing is its unprofitable status. but I find something even more fascinating. even if it was fairly profitable and met its weekly nut I am sure the land underneath it is wayyyyyyy more valuable than any $$$ the theater could possibly bring in. so I am surprised it hasn’t been sold for that very reason.

walterk on June 22, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Fears seem to stem from a statement made in an interview with the Hollywood Reporter by Cablevision CEO James Dolan this past April. Here’s the question and his answer:

Q: You run the Ziegfeld Theatre, which is said to be unprofitable. Are you going to close it?

A: Probably. Yeah. [It] loses a lot of money. The theater business is a tough business.

The link above is to an article about what Dolan said in the interview and was posted here over 2 months ago, not the interview itself. I will post a link to that if anybody asks, but this was the only mention of the Ziegfeld in that interview.

Cablevision was quick to issue a statement that said the Ziegfeld would remain open for the “foreseeable future”. Most take that to mean they are looking for somebody to take over the lease, which is reported to run till 2018. If they don’t… well, they can close it anytime they choose.

If they can’t find someone and continue to lose money till the lease is up, who will take it over and keep it a single screen? Endangered is a term that comes to mind when talking about the status of the Ziegfeld.

I found this article by NY Post film critic Lou Lumenick from April worth the read and perhaps some discussion of its content.

hdtv267 on June 21, 2015 at 3:21 pm

yes please. I agree with bigjoe, if someone is going to come on here and make such a bold statement with such an iconic venue allegedly closing, I really wish someone would cite these “reports” instead of coming on here and polluting this once great blog with such unsubstantiated drivel.

bigjoe59 on June 21, 2015 at 2:55 pm

when was the last report either online or in newspapers that this theater could actually close at anytime?