Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 26 - 50 of 4,102 comments

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 12, 2015 at 1:30 pm

to xbs2034-

I am dating myself but I can remember quite well when screenings at the Ziegfeld were close to capacity if not actually sold out. the reason this has not happened in years is simple- the Ziegfeld no longer gets exclusive runs of big studio film. the reason for the low attendance at this theater is that whatever big studio film is playing is also playing at 12 other theaters in Manhattan. it has nothing to do with the theater or the location.

NYer
NYer on April 12, 2015 at 12:53 pm

I know it’s a pipe dream but it would be wonderful if Disney took it over like they did the El Capitan in LA. Install a fabulous digital marquee that can be seen up and down the block. Still have other studio premieres there, but they could open their own pictures there exclusively for say two weeks before the other Manhattan multiplexes get it. Do shows and Disney film festivals. If it can work in LA with competing Graumann’s just across the street, it could work here.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on April 12, 2015 at 12:32 pm

The Hollywood Reporter stated that James Dolan is getting frustrated with it losing money, and it is in danger of closing again.

It would certainly be a sad day for me (I try and go as much as a I can, went to 5 films plus the premiere for The Imitation Game here last year, and would probably see Age of Ultron here if it plays the Ziegfeld) but true that it has been a long time since I’ve seen it anywhere near full for a regular screening.

Grandier
Grandier on January 18, 2015 at 8:35 pm

I haven’t seen the curtains open at the Ziegfeld in years. I keep hoping it’s going to happen, and I catch 6-10 films a year there, but the curtains are always open when we walk in, even at the world premiere of Led Zeppelin’s movie with the band in attendance. Just a white screen.

LuisV
LuisV on January 11, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Cablevision does NOT owns the site/building. It is owned by a billionaire whose name escapes me.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on January 10, 2015 at 6:31 pm

I don’t think Cablevision owns the actual building but has a long-term lease on the site.

markp
markp on January 10, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Thanks for the tip movieguy. Sadly when my wife and I went to see Interstellar on Veterans Day, the curtain wasn’t used. I went to the Ziegfeld on purpose cause A) I was never there. B)I wanted to see the movie on film, and C) I wanted to see the curtain. Well 2 out of 3 aint too bad. I had later found out from Joe Masher that there was a technician in the building that day and that’s why the curtain wasn’t used. But the rest of the time, theres no excuse.

movieguy
movieguy on January 10, 2015 at 2:57 pm

I went to see out of the woods for the 7:30 PM screening I New Year’s Day January 1, 2015. There was a very good attendance I’m happy to report. Looked like to me about 550 people. Quite a good turnout. Sadly they did not use the curtains. I want to find a manager after the show to ask them why they did not use the curtains, because they were used for the 70 mm showing of interstellar in November 2014.I had to hustle to make the train back home. Here a tip to save on the $15 admission. BJ’s Wholesale Club as well as Cosco or if you’re AAA member. You have the option of buying tickets for any bowtie cinema. They only cost seven dollars. Then when you bring the voucher to the box office at the Ziegfeld. You pay one dollar surcharge. So that’s $8.00 vs & 15 quite a savings.

mhvbear
mhvbear on January 10, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Since 2013, the Ziegfeld has been managed by Bow Tie Cinemas, on behalf of Cablevision, which owns the theater (the theater was previously part of the Clearview Cinemas theater chain prior to the chain’s sale to Bow Tie; the actual ownership of the Ziegfield building was excluded from the sale).

It would then be Cablevision’s decision to update the seats,

NYer
NYer on January 10, 2015 at 5:56 am

Saw “Into The Woods” on New Year’s Eve. It’s time for Bow Tie to stand up. Yes, I know this house isn’t a consistent sell out. But it is, without question, as everyone here knows, one of the world’s premiere theatres, literally, holding dozens of east coast premieres a year. Movie stars and film makers seen all over the globe posing at the opening of their major motion pictures in this beautiful cinema treasure. And she’s a wonderful state of the art hall that us mere mortals can experience movies at their best.

The first offense was walking to the front doors to see all the one sheet cases in dire conditions. They haven’t been updated in decades. Old dirty looking fabric, faded old metal frames and all three cases having wrinkled ill installed one sheets. Don’t think Meryl Streep, who attended the World Premiere of the film just a few weeks before would have appreciated seeing her image practically falling out of the frame. C'mon, how much does a few yards of red velvet and some new frames cost?

Then, my favorite seat was once again broken. Pull the seat down and it lowers practically to the floor. It’s time for new seats. This grand lady doesn’t need big leather recliners, but the hard metal old lumpy stuffed ones have seen their prime. If you are charging $15.00 for a feature and $19.00 for 3D, a comfortable seat is not unreasonable.

I can accept the digital pre-show, I get it, but this is not some neighborhood dive, this is New York’s Bowtie Ziegfeld Theater. No one needs or more importantly, wants six trailers. It’s not 1975, trailers are everywhere and we’ve seen them all before we walk into the auditorium. Three trailers, the next attraction, the one that might come attached to the feature and one more is more than enough. After six, commercials, and policy, the audience is exhausted.

The staff, as always were wonderful, honestly, the best in the city. One couldn’t ask for a more friendly, courteous crew, who understand who their patrons are and care. Ushers, concession, management, all wishing this nice size early matinee crowd a happy new. I hope it is a happy new year for Bowtie’s Ziegfeld Theatre and her staff. They deserve it.

Frankie5Angels
Frankie5Angels on January 10, 2015 at 5:00 am

Touching on what Curmudgeon said on Dec.27, the last film I saw there was Steven Soderbergh’s “Che"… both parts were shown and during the intermission, the projectionist switched screen formats to accommodate the 2nd part (using focus grids) along with re-aligning the curtains, sort of film nerdish of me, but I found it a treat. Ziegfeld rules.

curmudgeon
curmudgeon on December 27, 2014 at 5:26 am

Hi Howard, was the crowd treated to some showmanship and the use of curtains?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 26, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Was happy to enjoy Into the Woods this afternoon there, with a crowd. Had its world premiere at the Ziegfeld on December 8.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 17, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Will this theater show the new Star wars movie in 3d?

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on December 12, 2014 at 10:57 am

Very glad Disney had the world premiere of Into The Woods here at the Ziegfeld and not at the El Capitan in CA. It seems to have been on Dec 8

LuisV
LuisV on December 12, 2014 at 10:33 am

Rats! I would have gone earlier in the day! Will have to wait until Christmas Day!

mhvbear
mhvbear on December 12, 2014 at 10:16 am

One show listed for 12/24. 7:00 PM.

LuisV
LuisV on December 12, 2014 at 10:13 am

Christmas EVE?? All day Christmas Eve??? Hmmmm……I’m changing my plans!

mhvbear
mhvbear on December 12, 2014 at 6:40 am

‘Into the Woods’ opens here on Christmas eve. Will be attending one of the shows on Christmas Day.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 30, 2014 at 11:23 am

The Hunger games mockingjay is playing at this theater. I’d like to see the new star wars at this theater next year in 3d lol.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on November 23, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Hello-

since this is the movie theater in Manhattan today i have a question for my fellow Ziegfeld devotees. the 1st time movies or flickers as they were called were projected on screen in a theater before a paying audience was the night of April 25, 1896 at Koster and Bail’s Music Hall on 34th St.. and the rest as they say is history. now for the first several of the biz whatever “movie theaters” existed in Manhattan were music halls, vaudville theaters, legitmate theaters or decent sized unused retail spaces that were simply converted top show movies.

which is where my question comes in. i have been trying to determine what was the 1st theater built in Manhattan brick by brick by the ground up with the purpose of being a picture house to use the old term. anyone have any clues?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on November 18, 2014 at 2:19 pm

to Bill H.–

I know what you mean about Oscar bait films not living up to the hype. I saw Birdman based on all the Oscar juggernaut/hoopla talk. well it was 2hrs. of my life wasted i’ll never get back. and the final third or resolution section of Gone Girl totally ruined the film for me.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on November 17, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Just got back from the premiere of The Imitation Game at the Ziegfeld. Harvey Weinstein and most of the actors in the movie (Benedict Cumberbatch, Keira Knightley, Charles Dance, etc.) were there. What puzzled me was that they didn’t use the curtains for this big event, leaving the blank screen exposed at all times. They would have added a nice touch of class to the proceedings.

The movie was very good, if not quite the Oscar juggernaut Harvey thinks it is. He has a great Oscar track record, so I could be wrong about that.

LuisV
LuisV on November 17, 2014 at 5:56 am

I’m not an expert, but though I did think the sound at Inerstellar was less than ideal, it had nothing to do with the Ziegfeld. I had no problems at all with the sound during the previews. I think the sound at the Ziegfeld is magnificent and one of many reasons that I see movies here.

cmbussmann
cmbussmann on November 17, 2014 at 5:46 am

It is not just Interstellar, which I agree did not have a good sound mix, but other films recently too. The previews before The Drop were ear-splitting. I think the Ziegfeld just feels obligated to crank the volume since the space is so huge.