Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 26 - 50 of 4,209 comments

ziegfeldquestions on November 3, 2015 at 8:31 am

thank you so much for your efficient, quick reply. very helpful.

it’s odd that if they were to have 4K digital projection, and some type of modern, up to date sound system, that they won’t tout it or list it on their own website’s page for the Ziegfeld! most theaters all scream with multiple acronyms for this sound system, that projection system, Dolby Pro this, Dolby Pro that!

as you know that the projection system is 4K, i’m now wondering what type of sound system they have? is it antiquated and dated? i.e. old Dolby from 20 years ago? Or, one of the modern Dolby systems?

thanks again! hope to hear more!

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 3, 2015 at 8:30 am

Saturday night at the movies,

Who cares what picture you see

when you’re huggin' with your baby

in the last row in the balcony?

movieguy on November 3, 2015 at 8:12 am

I was there for the Martian mission impossible rogue nation and the back to the future trilogy. They are digital 4K for projection. The sound system is very good crisp and clear but not overly loud and booming like the multiplexes. The presentation of movies there is quite excellent. Definitely worth going to the theater to see any movie they are screening

ziegfeldquestions on November 3, 2015 at 7:52 am

I’m going to go in a week’s time to the Ziegfeld, and was wondering what level of sound system as well as projection system they have? Have they kept up with the times and technology, or, have they merely let the beauty of the place sell itself and am now seriously lagging behind in terms of sound and projection technology?

On the Bow Tie website, it merely says “all digital projection”. Not one word about the sound, nor the type of projection system. Often, theaters tout their sound system with a number of brand name acronyms, and ditto for their projection system.

My fear is that this doesn’t bode well for the quality of their current sound/projection system. Usually, if they don’t want to talk about it, it’s usually something they aren’t proud of.

Look forward to hearing from the good folks who are very knowledgeable here on this forum.

HowardBHaas on November 2, 2015 at 7:11 pm

As I am familiar with the management, I can assure everybody that the theater is still operated by Bow Tie. I rather like seeing the A Walter Eeade Theater sign again, but they have not risen from the dead to retake the cinema.

movieguy on November 2, 2015 at 4:21 pm

I think we can conclude 100% that it is still run and managed by Bow Tie. When I asked about why the sign calling in a bowtie theater was gone from the marquee. The manager John said The sign had come down and broken and it was going to be put back up

NYer on November 2, 2015 at 4:08 pm

“A Walter Reade Theater” was built into the marquee. It’s permanent. Clearview and Bow Tie used banners to cover it. Perhaps the banner simply blew away.

longislandmovies on November 2, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Why would they remove the name from the building ???

movieguy on November 2, 2015 at 3:28 pm

In addition all the workers still wear the outfits of bowtie cinemas. With the bowtie logo on the nameplates on their uniforms

movieguy on November 2, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I just called the theaters box office line and they answer “thank you for calling Bow Tie Zigfeld Theatre”

longislandmovies on November 2, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Could be but the name is gone .

movieguy on November 2, 2015 at 2:39 pm

You call the theaters recorded line and it says that it is a bowtie cinema. If you go to the bowtie website the theater is still listed as being under the bow tie chain. When I went to go see the Martian. Followed by the back to the future trilogy. I used my AAA discount pass for Bow Tie So I think the information that bowtie is no longer running it is incorrect

longislandmovies on November 2, 2015 at 2:22 pm

I think when they took down bow tie the old Walter Reade name was there.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 2, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Maybe Reade is the original leaseholder and all subsequent operators were sub-lessees.

According to Wikipedia (I know, I know…!) “The Walter Reade Organization] filed for bankruptcy in 1977, emerging four years later. Columbia Pictures purchased 81% of the organization in 1981, buying the company completely in 1985, but later sold it to the Cineplex Odeon Corporation on June 26, 1987.

Mikeoaklandpark on November 2, 2015 at 2:05 pm

I thought Bow Tie was operating it for Cablevision. Does anyone know why the marquee suddenly mysteriously reads A Walter Reade Theater?

longislandmovies on November 2, 2015 at 2:01 pm

It is stuck in limbo with no operating company behind it … ( like a bow tie ) I know that they are looking for a way out of the lease .

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 2, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Death knell? (spelled with a k) Maybe, maybe not.

But if the Ziegfeld could talk, I’d hope it would quote Mark Twain: “The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.”

bigjoe59 on November 2, 2015 at 1:26 pm

to longislandmovies I never said that you said this theater’s days are numbered. I should have said
its been said by countless other people in the past year or two. to which since you’re so convinced that it would be a miracle if this theater made it to 2017 what hot inside info do you have that foreshadows the theater’s demise?

longislandmovies on November 2, 2015 at 1:08 pm

I have been on this site since day one and never said before the days are numbered . I hope but would be shocked if it makes it to 2017.

bigjoe59 on November 2, 2015 at 12:56 pm

according to longislandmovies this theater is
living on borrowed time and from what he/she knows
however they it know it the theater will close
sometime in 2016. the death nell for the Ziegfeld
has been announced many times some rather recently.
so I wonder what hot inside info longislandmovies
has. remember the air rights were sold to the
nearby luxury London hotelso if God forbid the
Ziegfeld were razed they wouldn’t be able to
build any building larger than the theater

Mikeoaklandpark on November 1, 2015 at 5:34 pm

Thanks Peter Apruzzese. I thought it was. I know there is no theater that has 70mm capacity in Asheville NC. I would travel within the state or SC if I can find a theater that still had 70mm projectors

PeterApruzzese on November 1, 2015 at 3:46 pm

“The 50th anniversary print of My fair Lady may have been. The scope on the screen seemed different from the scope previwes. The masking which lowers top and bottom rather then side to side was opened when the film started and the aspect ratio seemed different then 2.35”

Yes, the aspect ratio of My Fair Lady is 2.20.

longislandmovies on November 1, 2015 at 3:30 pm

From what I can tell now the theatre is on borrowed time . My guess 2016 is the end .

markp on November 1, 2015 at 3:23 pm

Hard to disagree with you alps. Im just happy that in my 38 years of full time projectionist I was able to run 35, 70, and 15/70 IMAX. The last 2 years have been hard for me, now being a stagehand, but as Ive been told, time marches on.

alps on November 1, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Marc Lawrence, the tough guy actor from the early days of film noir to “Four Rooms” said of Quentin Tarantino, called him “a headline”, because he got so much attention for doing things that have been done better years ago. The Ziegfeld Theater, I would be surprised it they got “Hateful Eight” over “Star Wars the force awakens”. With box office being what it is, that would be a silly risk. I like Quentin Tarantino’s work very much; a he is a student of film because it’s a game to find what he is using from other movies. But why does he need to release this in a 70mm road show, ego? From the trailer I saw, the film looks a talky Claus phobic mood piece, set during a blizzard. With ticket prices being as they are, the general public isn’t clamoring for this. And now he has law enforcement who will protest the film when it comes out. Maybe it’s me, but this film vs. digital is a non argument, personally I love digital, and I believe Tarantino was taking about shooting on digital, on that I agree with him, because it preserves film, but what passes for cinema today, very little of it needs to preserved. I liked Django Unchained, but they made movies like this over 40 years ago. Why is TV breaking new ground and motion pictures are failing? He through out a digital projector, eh, I don’t believe it, the prints must be awful then. I went to see “The Master” in 70mm; it looked beautiful, like a 4k blu ray. For all of Ta(rant)ino’s pontificating, it’s still called show business, and not too many exhibitors are going for the expense of putting in this old equipment just for his movie.