Tiffany Theater

8534 W. Sunset Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90069

simplesolu
simplesolu on July 6, 2008 at 7:31 pm

I remember all of you! David and his red hair. Living behing the church at Highland. Seeing ALIEN at the Egyptian at 4AM on opening night. I lived with Jim on sunset near the Tif. Remember Little Lisa and Big Lisa. Back Rubs in the lobby. and all those virgins in the stairway banging during rocky. Tommy Cooper did you do a cup count. Stale Bagged Popcorn, YUCK! Spelling out J A N E T on the screen during dammit janet.

OMG the memories

Jay Goldstein

evmovieguy
evmovieguy on January 6, 2008 at 8:35 pm

There’s a scene in the first half hour or so of John Boorman’s ‘Point Blank’ (1967) starring Lee Marvin with the Tiffany in the background. In one of the scenes when Marvin returns to LA to find his wife Keenan Wynn is standing against a car with the Tiffany clearly in the background. Pretty cool. I didn’t know this theater existed until I saw the movie and then came here to CT and confirmed it. Wouldna been able to do that in the years before the internet!!

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 11, 2007 at 3:05 pm

The Tingel-Tangel was across the street in 1934. I think this was a playhouse:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 12, 2007 at 7:29 am

Here is a July 1970 ad from the LA Times:

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on July 31, 2007 at 12:44 pm

so the new name ‘Sunset Millennium’ did not last?

Troy Martin
Troy Martin on July 31, 2007 at 12:18 pm

The Tiffany is closed, yet it is still standing and still named Tiffany.

Ron Newman
Ron Newman on July 31, 2007 at 4:16 am

Is this theatre still open? If so, what name does it now have? I think this entry needs to be updated, based on the comments.

Troy Martin
Troy Martin on July 31, 2007 at 12:57 am

“Vice Squad” was also filmed in front of the Tiffany.

arclight
arclight on July 22, 2007 at 4:14 pm

You can see a bit of the Tiffany and the Rocky Horror marquee in Valley Girl. It’s when Nicolas Cage takes Deborah (don’t remember her last name) into Hollywood for the first time. It’s part of a montage.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 11, 2007 at 3:50 pm

How about this double bill in Feb. 1980 – George Romero’s “Martin” and the uncut version of Tod Browning’s “Freaks”. The Zep film “Song Remains the Same” followed the week after.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on June 8, 2007 at 7:32 pm

The Tiffany had a Ronald Reagan film festival in September 1980, a couple of months before the election.

Troy Martin
Troy Martin on April 27, 2007 at 4:47 am

Meryl,

I remember you.

meryl
meryl on April 26, 2007 at 10:33 pm

THANK YOU for the clip— brought back lots of memories.
I was manager at the Tiffany 1978 – 1980.
Now my two teenagers go to see it at the Nuart, L.A.
It was my first job after moving here from NY.
Also, my first friends in Los Angeles. And they still are:
hi David, Meredith, Terri, Michael!
and Jim and Queen George, in Heaven.

meryl
meryl on April 18, 2007 at 9:58 pm

really? what year?

Troy Martin
Troy Martin on April 17, 2007 at 10:50 pm

I lost my virginity in the alcove next to the screen during a performance of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” at the Tiffany.

uglyMood
uglyMood on February 3, 2007 at 11:01 am

Meryl, North Carolina is beautiful. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many trees in my entire life. Two days ago it snowed, and Elizabeth and Naomi went outside to play in it. When they came back in, they both called for me to come to the kitchen. I got pelted with snowballs.

meryl
meryl on January 29, 2007 at 11:24 pm

David, how is NC? Michael & I still sing your “Christmas Quarrels!"
Meredith, come visit L.A!

uglyMood
uglyMood on January 27, 2007 at 8:22 pm

Boy, this is becoming a reunion! Meredith, how are you? I’ve still got a picture of you changing the marquee at the Vagabond.

Hiya, Meryl!

Remember the “Christmas Quarrels” George, Michael and I sang before Rocky Horror? Those were the days…

Whatever happened to Elvira?

• David
dispar
dispar on December 5, 2005 at 6:37 am

I remember seeing a doubleheader of two Howard Huges classics that hadn’t been show in years (like forever I thought at the time): SCARFACE & HELL’S ANGELS). PRISTINE PRINTS!

I attended other double features at the Tiffany, but preferred seeing movies at the Nuart, FOX Venice, and Vagabond. I was more of a 60’s hard rocker in the late 70’s & early 80’s, so dealing with the gliiter crowd that seemed to attend the Tiffany on a regular basis was a tad much for me (especially when I attended a midnight screening of THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW). Everyone there seemed to have a good time though.

meryl
meryl on December 1, 2005 at 10:44 pm

Meredith, How great to hear from you—it’s been LITTLE WHILE!
Isn’t this site fun?
My email address is on my profile, let’s be pen-pals!
I’m still friends with David!
I’m been in California the whole time since the Tif,
but I’m a New Yorker, and I’d love to hear what & who & where!
Love,
Meryl

meredithlee
meredithlee on December 1, 2005 at 6:59 pm

Yes, it was definitely a party, working the midnight and 2AM Rocky Horror screenings, and going to breakfast at Cantor’s after…

meredithlee
meredithlee on December 1, 2005 at 6:56 pm

Meryl! OMG, I worked with you at the Tiff (and with Mary at the Vag) – I just joined this site tonight and was about to write about this theater when I just saw your postings! I’m Meredith, (friend of Danny’s still too) and in NYC! Remember me (and David)?

kbp619
kbp619 on October 27, 2005 at 2:27 pm

Hehe, I saw Rocky Horror in June 1982 for my b-day! Imagine a bunch of pre-teens standing on Sunset at midnight, throwing dry rice at passing by cars, lol.