Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood

6360 Sunset Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 26 - 50 of 1,228 comments

Jseditor
Jseditor on June 23, 2016 at 4:28 pm

RogerA: yeah the sony’s were a bit early on their tech but hold up. (work in post, colorist) AMC’s in LA are very good (at least the Burbank one and Century City). I’ve done many preview screenings there and have installed and managed projectors in both (as well as at the Arclight and Chinese)(used to work for Technicolor dealing with projection to mastering DCPs and got deep into color science. and work in post as and Editor/AE, film,TV)

Seattle has a new screen that’s normal. Google pics. When they installed the Christie 6p dual laser projectors they put in a new screen and ATMOS.

RogerA
RogerA on June 23, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Jseditor:

AMC theaters are notorious for having blown speakers and low light. The Sony projectors are the worst of the professional projectors. There is very little 4K product. It is AMC policy to set the fader at 5! How can you have good sound with a fader setting of 5?

Yes the Dome has its problems and they have done the best they can to deal with those problems. No matter what they do people will still complain.

The Seattle Cinerama has a much bigger screen with and even deeper curve the the Dome.

Jseditor
Jseditor on June 23, 2016 at 3:10 pm

I hate the dome. The digital projection has always sucked and there’s only one decent spot for good sound. They have moved in the right direction with the dual laser projection but two things left: they need to replace the screen with a slightly curved screen that’s high gain. (like the Cinerama in Seattle did leaving the original Cinerama screen behind the new one) In the past they’ve either just cut off the edges of the picture (right up or slightly over title safe (I’ve seen credits cut off)) or digitally warped the pictures at the edges to the screen. This is ok if it’s only a little (like for slightly curved screens) but the Cinerama screen is too much. This has always been the biggest issue for me for this screen.

2nd thing: fix the sound of that’s scientifically possible. Probably a lot of speakers and custom baffles with custom delays and way too much work and money. Find a way to acoustically make an oval room square.

All in the name of preservation right? Oh and the seats suck. Have they replaced those yet? I swore off the Arclight 3-4 years ago.

And not to mention what a horrible company Arclight is and the prices they charge is insane. Even for the normal screens non-3D off peak. Then you have to pay for parking too. What a mess. Only public theaters I bother with in LA are The Landmark and a few AMCs for their Dolby cinema options. (And the fact that AMCs have been 4K for years with the Sonys. And random… Not impressed with IMAX laser system. All the wait and what a miss. It might be okay for 2d but please forget 3D. and Dolby is the only 3D system that looks half way decent. Too much color shifting, no contrast due to the poor light output, and glasses always degrade the image because it’s cheap plastic that isn’t optical grade. Ok done venting. ;)

dickneeds111
dickneeds111 on June 6, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Movie Buff 82. I saw Mad Max on HBO. They must be showing 2 versions because the one I saw was full width & hgt. It looked great.

Flix70
Flix70 on June 6, 2016 at 7:34 am

Just in time for its 35th anniversary, Steven Spielberg’s 1981 classic “Raiders of the Lost Ark” is screening at the Dome Sunday, June 19 (Father’s Day) @ 4pm and Wednesday, June 22 @ 7:30. If you live in the area and can make either showing, here’s your chance to see arguably the greatest action/adventure film ever made in one of the greatest theaters ever constructed. I expect some reports on this one.

Flix70
Flix70 on May 18, 2016 at 10:08 am

Not a post since late January. No one seeing movies here anymore?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 27, 2016 at 11:37 am

Nor you can pause it, Flix70.

Flix70
Flix70 on January 27, 2016 at 8:53 am

The Dome is screening four films, yes, four, this coming weekend: Kung Fu Panda 3, Star Wars, Mad Max & The Finest Hours. Seriously? You get 1-2 shots per day to see the film you want. They’re basically programming the Dome like a TV network now. Unfortunately you can’t DVR your movie if you don’t like the time slot.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 20, 2016 at 11:33 am

have you seen it on HBO lately? They cropped it from the scope ratio and the audio is much lower than the Blu-Ray. Thank god I rented it on disc from Netflix and enjoyed the action. I think the Revanant will be more oscar worthy than Mad Max as history suggests with the exception of Titanic and LOTR: ROTK.

Flix70
Flix70 on January 20, 2016 at 9:33 am

Mad Max: Fury Road is returning to the Dome this coming weekend: one show nightly, 10:30 PM. Truly one of the best films of 2015. I caught it on Blu-ray and was completely blown away. I can only imagine what the experience would be like on the Dome screen.

RogerA
RogerA on January 8, 2016 at 7:21 am

I saw the 70mm version of the Hateful Eight at the Landmark and the presentation was just bad. More and more I just watch movies at home.

Goodvibe61
Goodvibe61 on December 26, 2015 at 7:23 pm

I just had to drop by the Arclight Hollywood Lobby today, since I was across the street at Amoeba. Just to be able to walk in, and actually see that they’re NOT using the Dome to screen the roadshow, 70 MM Panavision version of The Hateful Eight. And that they’re showing a digital print of Star Wars instead.

This has to be about as shameful an act of movie lover hatred as any I’ve seen in recent memory. I guess this has been talked to death, but be it a combination of Disney and Arclight, they really did a number on cinema exhibition lovers everywhere this weekend.

I can’t imagine actually buying tickets to go see Hateful Eight here, it’s playing in a smaller theater. Can you imagine going to see it there, knowing the Dome is right upstairs and it’s not being used to show a PANAVISION film?

This truly is a shame. It’s sickening is what it is. And to see Arclight trumpeting about this laser system they’ve installed for Star Wars. What a catastrophe. I’ve loved Arclight since it opened. They’ve killed that love in a single blow.

Where’s The Bride when I need her?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 23, 2015 at 11:50 am

As long as the DC Uptown is being compared to the Cinerama Dome, I will point out the 3rd such historic theater that I’ve had the pleasure to enjoy which is the Seattle Cinerama. That also has huge curved screen.

Movieholic
Movieholic on December 23, 2015 at 8:36 am

I saw the remake of “The Amityville Horror” here on my last L.A. visit here ten years ago. Like the Uptown in D.C. the curved screen is impressive, as is the large auditorium.

Cliffs
Cliffs on December 22, 2015 at 11:44 pm

It can if there’s no 70mm option available…

RogerA
RogerA on December 21, 2015 at 9:28 pm

I saw a show at the Chinese that was digital laser and I was not impressed. Digital still can’t beat good 70mm.

Cliffs
Cliffs on December 21, 2015 at 10:59 am

Sorry, I had posted this but was asked to keep it quiet until Arclight had a chance to announce it themselves (which is why I deleted it a few days ago)…

ARCLIGHT CINEMAS BRINGS THE DOME INTO A NEW GALAXY OF VIEWING

ArcLight Announces an incredible cinematic viewing experience for guests starting with “Star Wars” release in the historic Cinerama Dome

(LOS ANGELES, CA—December 15, 2015 2015) ArcLight Cinemas, a premiere movie-going destination is excited to announce their collaboration withChristie® and Dolby® to bring the most advanced movie-viewing experience possible for ArcLight guests at the legendary Cinerama Dome in time for the most anticipated movie experience of the year “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.” Beginning this Thursday, December 17th, visitors to The Dome will be fully immersed in both cinematic history and new technology.

“We are always looking for the most innovative and immersive experience for our guests and feel the timing is perfect to bring the laser viewing experience to The Dome, which has such an iconic cinema history in Hollywood,” states Gretchen McCourt, Executive Vice President, ArcLight Cinemas.

The Dome has been upgraded with dual-head Christie 6P laser projectors and Dolby® 3D, which can project more than double the light of an average 3D projection system and will enable guests to view the nuances of the film and thoroughly enjoy the brilliance of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” and future releases. Christie®extends the boundaries of 3D cinema with dramatically increased 3D light levels combined with Dolby® 3D advanced color separation technology. The Dome is already one of the largest screens in the nation and with the projection upgrade, it will be one of the largest screens with Christie laser projection.

“For more than 50 years, the iconic Cinerama Dome has been pushing the technological boundaries of movie presentations, and with the installation of the groundbreaking Christie 6-Primary (6P) dual-head laser projection system, ArcLight Cinemas is once again ensuring that their patrons have a most memorable movie-going experience,” said George Scheckel, senior director, Americas, for Christie. “We congratulate ArcLight on their choice, which continues our decade-long relationship that has seen Christie install scores of projectors in the chain’s theater throughout the United States.”

Dolby® 3D uses advanced color separation technology instead of the polarization technology. That makes it ideally suited for next generation laser projectors, which generate more light and create brighter images than bulb projectors. Dolby® 3D uses the laser’s native color light sources (red, green, blue) so no filters or light re-cycling is required.

ABOUT ArcLight Cinemas ArcLight Cinemas, created by Pacific Theatres, a privately owned, Los Angeles based company with 60 years of theatrical exhibition history throughout California, Hawaii and Washington is a premiere moviegoing experience with an unparalleled commitment to bringing a variety of rich cinematic content to moviegoers in all markets. ArcLight Cinemas operates eight theaters in California including Hollywood, Pasadena, Sherman Oaks, El Segundo, Santa Monica, Culver City and La Jolla, as well as one theater in Bethesda, Md, Chicago and Glenview, Ill. ArcLight also owns and operates the historic Cinerama Dome and programs the TCL Chinese Theatre and IMAX in Hollywood. Pacific Theatres currently operates theaters in Los Angeles that include The Grove and The Americana at Brand in Glendale, Calif. Additional information about ArcLight Cinemas is available at www.arclightcinemas.com/

Connect with ArcLight: https://twitter.com/ArcLightCinemas and https://www.facebook.com/ArclightCinemas

ABOUT Christie Christie Digital Systems USA, Inc. is a global visual and audio technologies company and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ushio, Inc., Japan, (JP:6925). Consistently setting the standards by being the first to market some of the world’s most advanced projectors and complete system displays, Christie is recognized as one of the most innovative visual technology companies in the world. From retail displays to Hollywood, mission critical command centers to classrooms and training simulators, Christie display solutions and projectors capture the attention of audiences around the world with dynamic and stunning images. Visitwww.christiedigital.com.

sunflower62
sunflower62 on December 19, 2015 at 12:38 am

For what its worth: Bill Hunt, who runs the popular digitalbits website, took his posse to see Force Awakens at the above Arclight Cinerama Dome Thursday night. His entire post Friday was on the experience. It seems the head of Christie Digital showed up to make an announcement before the showing. Bill raves about the presentation (and the movie). This reportedly half a million dollar system that was installed is evidently THE definitive way to see this movie. Sadly, I don’t live anywhere near Los Angeles. For those of you who do, you might want to check it out and report back. I don’t know Mr. Hunt, but his credibility in the industry seems legitimate. His article is at www.thedigitalbits.com.

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on December 18, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Giles that is the same issue I have been complaining about for years at the Dome, the image just filled part of the screen and they pulled up the bottom corners to compensate for the curve resulting in an image that to me is unwatchable. It was corrected of course for Interstellar since that was 70mm and I think the presentation of American Sniper in digital was fine as well. Every other time I have been there , most recently Mockingjay 2, the image looked small and distorted and did not fill the screen. I have emailed them so many times on this , congrats on getting a response. I’ll go check it out after the Force leaves. My first time here was Apocolypse Now in 1979 when I was in high school and that changed how I saw movies.

Giles
Giles on December 18, 2015 at 2:32 pm

^ I’m just curious in knowing what disappointments you’ve noted are?

I got word from Arclight – that they fixed the image in filling the entire curved screen. For some reason this has never been corrected at Washington DC’s Uptown theater screen which displays this very odd fish-eye anomaly at the bowed corners – never a problem with the 70mm/35mm projector, but once digital came around … eck!

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on December 18, 2015 at 9:55 am

Giles that is funny. That has to be a mistake when they say 65 foot screen. If they use the full height of the screen they should be able to fill at least 75 feet of the 86 feet of screen they have if my math is correct. Every time I go to the dome it is such a disappointment ever since they installed digital. I am hoping someone will report back after they have gone.

Giles
Giles on December 18, 2015 at 8:33 am

that extra 21 feet was supposed to be for ‘Hateful 8’ [sarcasm face]

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on December 18, 2015 at 8:13 am

I emailed them asking about the screen and got a canned response not telling me anything. Then I read the article above which is quite troublesome. It says

“Just in time for the release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, ArcLight Cinemas’ Cinerama Dome in Hollywood has installed its dazzling new Christie 6P dual-head laser projection system and Dolby 3D color separation technology.

With a 65-foot curved screen, The Dome — which opened in 1963 for three-strip Cinerama films — now offers a cutting-edge digital projection system that represents an investment of “several hundreds of thousands of dollars,” according to Joe Miraglia, director of design, construction and facilities at ArcLight."

65 foot screen?!? What the heck happened to the other 21 feet?

Giles
Giles on December 18, 2015 at 7:40 am

does the new projector properly fill the whole screen – curve and all?

Giles
Giles on December 17, 2015 at 10:30 am

oh you’re welcome Flix70. ‘Django’ is almost but not quite three hours, two hours and 45 minutes to exact

Jamie was in last year’s “Annie” (and “Dreamgirls” oh and “The Amazing Spider-Man”)– where have you been?

it’s on my bucklist to see a 70mm feature here.

question: does the screen for 2.76 features expand horizontally?