Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood

6360 Sunset Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 26 - 50 of 1,332 comments

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on June 4, 2018 at 9:52 am

“This coming November will mark 55 years since it’s opening…it was ahead of its time and it predated Omnimax!!!

The screen wasn’t a dome like Omnimax, ‘Dome’ refers to the building’s shape.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on June 3, 2018 at 6:45 pm

RogerA
RogerA on May 24, 2018 at 11:07 am

My error there are 15 showings of 2001 in 70mm five shows a day starting June 8

RogerA
RogerA on May 24, 2018 at 1:04 am

Wow they scheduled sixteen more shows 70mm in the Dome. Lots of empty seats. I just got my tickets.

RogerA
RogerA on May 19, 2018 at 2:01 am

The two scheduled shows of 2001 in the Dome sold out pretty fast. Why they didn’t schedule more shows in the Dome is the real question. There is one 35/70 projector with a platter in the Dome. There are other theaters at the Arclight equipped to run film.

silver
silver on May 18, 2018 at 7:17 pm

Heads up for the new 2001: A Space Odyssey 70mm print, now playing for a week at Arclight Hollywood. Looking at the website, there are just two screenings in the Dome, both of which are nearly soldout (and only poor seat locations are left). But they’re also screening it in three of the other auditoriums (judging from the show starting times.)

So Arclight has set up four (at least) 70mm projectors for this 2001 event this week.

From their promo: “Celebrating the 50th anniversary of the seminal film, Warner Bros. Pictures is releasing an "unrestored” 70mm print of Kubrick’s groundbreaking science fiction epic in select theatres. A true photochemical film recreation, this print was struck from new printing elements made from the original camera negative. There are no digital tricks, remastered effects, or revisionist edits. This is the unrestored film – that recreates the cinematic event that audiences experienced fifty years ago."

edlambert
edlambert on May 6, 2018 at 8:19 pm

2001 played in Detroit at a second theater converted to Cinerama—deeply curved screen and stereo. During intermission I had the chance to walk back to the projection booth that was installed for “straight on” projection. What caught my eye was the “Smilebox” masking on the projector portal glass, needed because of expanding bleed from edge to center caused by the screen curvature. Not good.

Have lenses now been developed that eliminate a need for masking of this sort?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 6, 2018 at 4:33 pm

Hello-

while I’m looking forward to Nolan’s supervised frame by frame re-mastering of 2001 for the 50th Anniversary since they’re releasing it in theaters shouldn’t it play in theaters with really big screens? in NYC its playing the main auditorium of the Village East which isn’t an especially large screen.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 4, 2018 at 8:19 pm

My ploy worked. The Barry Lyndon Dome photo is once again on display.

Roger: I was talking about the Hollywood location. I was in one of the other 14 auditoriums outside the Dome. Sorry I didn’t make that clear.

RogerA
RogerA on May 4, 2018 at 4:30 pm

This page is about the Arclight in Hollywood not all the Arclights.

The photo that was and is no longer is not the Dome. It is not an Arclight in Los Angeles. The front two rows of seating were on a different curve than the rest of the seats, that makes it very distinct; along with the large size of the auditorium.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 3, 2018 at 7:06 pm

The photo that has the highest number of views is the one that gets displayed at the top of the page. I found the Barry Lyndon one and gave it a few more views, but I guess it wasn’t enough.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 3, 2018 at 6:35 pm

I’ve only been to one of the other Arclights besides the Cinerama Dome, but that photo does look like the theater I attended. I believe there are several different sized auditoriums. This must be the biggest one. It’s valid that the picture is there because the page is for Cinerama Dome AND Arclight, but I do miss the photo of Barry Lyndon playing at the Dome.

RogerA
RogerA on May 3, 2018 at 6:14 pm

Great question, the site administrator or who ever put it knows the answer to that one.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 3, 2018 at 5:58 pm

Hello-

thank you to RogerA for replying. I know the Cinerama Dome is on Sunset and Vine I have visited it many times in my trips to L.A.. what I asked was if the photo on top this page is not the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood why is the photo there?

RogerA
RogerA on May 3, 2018 at 5:08 pm

The Cinerama Dome is on Sunset and Vine and it is still there. I have been in it many times. I went to the 25th anniversary of IMMMW many years ago. That photo is not the Dome in Hollywood. The Dome never looked like that.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 3, 2018 at 5:00 pm

Hello-

I was last out in L.A. the Spring of 2003 so I can’t honestly vouch for the accuracy of the photo at the top of this page. but if it isn’t the Cinerama Dome on Sunset Blvd. and Vine was is it there?

RogerA
RogerA on May 3, 2018 at 4:48 pm

I doubt that it is another Arclight it looks like a Cinerama theater. It’s too big to be another Arclight. It might be in Europe or Australia.

stevenj
stevenj on May 3, 2018 at 4:44 pm

Roger A….Perhaps one of the 14 other ArcLight auditoriums?

RogerA
RogerA on May 3, 2018 at 4:38 pm

I have wondered about the photo at the top of the page. It is not the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood.

RogerA
RogerA on May 3, 2018 at 4:37 pm

Yes there is Digital version of HTWWW but the resolution is no where near that of the film presentation. I don’t mind the lines as the resolution of the show print right off the negative is far better than digital.

edlambert
edlambert on May 3, 2018 at 4:33 pm

I am curious about the photo at the top of this thread. It isn’t the Cinerama screen in the Dome, nor does the seating arrangement seem to be from that venue.

edlambert
edlambert on May 3, 2018 at 4:30 pm

I went out to LA in Oct. 2012 specifically to see HTWWW during a Cinerama revival at the Cinerama Dome. Since the film has been restored for DVD and those lines virtually eliminated, is it possible that the film can be projected on the full screen in digital form?

RussM
RussM on March 31, 2018 at 10:54 am

A little research with Google turned up the fact that Warner did consider restoring Brothers Grimm, which they had done with HTWWW. They concluded that the demand for Brothers Grimm would not be as great as for HTWWW, and that the cost could not be justified.

RogerA
RogerA on March 24, 2018 at 5:07 pm

The collectors who have prints be them 3 panel or CinemaScope don’t own them; prints were not sold ever. They just ended up in collectors hands instead of the band-saw or escaped being used for slug in the editing rooms. They don’t own the rights of course. Using the material that exists, be it three panel or CinemaScope, a blu-ray could be made but I doubt it would be worth what it cost to make a good blu-ray. It’s just not going to sell that many copies.

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on March 19, 2018 at 8:25 pm

Bigjoe – a major studio like WB is unlikely to use a damaged collector’s print.