Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas

6360 Sunset Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 26 - 50 of 1,105 comments

RogerA
RogerA on October 28, 2013 at 5:35 pm

to Bigjoe there was a roadshow release usually with multi channel magnetic sound then there was a 35mm print with mono optical sound sent to neighborhood theaters they didn’t do that much tweeking.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 28, 2013 at 4:56 pm

to RogerA-

thanks for your reply but I am still a bit confused. I understand the studio’s mindset of tweaking a film when it finished its roadshow run and went to a 2nd run theater. then when it went to the neighborhood theaters around NYC being tweaked further. but i don’t understand tweaking a film when it was still in its roadshow run. at that stage it only had 2 shows a day anyway so what was the point? making a film 15mins. shorter say seems bizarre if they still only had 2 shows a day.

RogerA
RogerA on October 28, 2013 at 1:17 pm

To answer your question Bigjoe most films that were cut were cut to allow more shows per day. A few because the filmmakers felt it was too long. A Star is Born was butchered to allow more shows. The road show version of Mad World was just too long for a comedy so it was cut. The general release prints were cut even more. It was not unusual for the general release print to be quite different from the roadshow print.

chspringer
chspringer on October 27, 2013 at 10:18 pm

The Criterion.com pages show the release date of Mad World as January 21, 2014. The set will contain 4K transfers of both the general release version and a reconstructed 197 minute version.

ChasSmith
ChasSmith on October 27, 2013 at 5:10 pm

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 27, 2013 at 5:03 pm

to Peter A.–

thanks for the info about roadshow run of IAMMMMW. you seem quite knowledgeable so I have a question for you. in the prime roadshow period of Oct. 1955 thru Dec. 1972 it was common practice to tweak a film after it finished its initial roadshow run and opened on a popular prices continuous performance run at another theater. this was done in many cases by simply deleting the overture, intermission and exit music. then when a film went to neighborhood runs around NYC they would actually tweak the film itself to get in more performances per day. this is where my question comes in- what in God’s name was the point of tweaking a film when it was still in its quite popular roadshow run? there were only 2 shows a day anyway. this was also done to “Lawrence of Arabia” and “Cleopatra”. makes absolutely no sense to me.

also on this page a fellow poster noted that this coming January 2014 the Criterion Collection was going to release a Blu-ray of the film in the longest version available that approximates the original roadshow cut. Amazon will often list an upcoming blu-ray disc long before the release date, sometimes 3 to 4 months. but they have no listing for a Criterion Collection blu-ray disc of IAMMMMW at all let alone one with a January date.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on October 26, 2013 at 5:41 am

I still own a VHS letterboxed copy of an extended version of “IAMMMMW” from MGM/UA in 1995. It inserts deleted sequences that are now a special features supplement into the film and the running time is 182 minutes. Apparently a 70mm complete print was discovered which contained the footage. It is easy to see the difference in picture quality especially since the inserted scenes are rectified for a curved screen and not as sharp. I have not watched this in a long time and I believe this version is missing the overture. When I saw the film at the Dome’s 40th anniversary in 70mm it was the general release version but with police calls during intermission. The current Blu-Ray is exactly the same minus the calls.

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on October 25, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Also remember that the majority of the “Roadshow” runs were of the shorter version. The film only played in its longer cut for about 4 weeks in the five premiere theatres: New York, L.A., Chicago, Boston, London; as of about 12/18/63, all of those engagements began playing the new shortened version and all future Roadshow engagements also received the shortened version.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on October 25, 2013 at 2:37 pm

IAMMMMW is the general release version at 154 minutes.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 25, 2013 at 2:25 pm

bijoe59… the film would have been a United Artists property, if not owned by Kramer himself. MGM’s ownsership of UA (and therefore IAMMMMW) would not have occured until some 15 or 16 years after the film was edited for general release.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 25, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Hello-

it seems MGM was better at keeping their complete roadshow prints in first rate condition than other companies. my point being if the showing of IAMMMMW is the general release print which is like 40mins.? shorter than the original roadshow cut why bother?

RogerA
RogerA on October 25, 2013 at 1:36 pm

the 6 channel mix sounded better 5 behind the screen and one surround channel with no sub. That is how is was released

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 25, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Probably the 4K version of the general release that is the basis of the forthcoming Criterion Blu-Ray release, I suspect. The Blu-Ray, will evidently include a hi-def digital transfer of an even longer approximation of the roadshow cut, in a 197-minute version, assembled by Robert A Harris (natch). It is said to include scenes that have been returned to the film for the first time since its original release. I wonder if this includes an audio-and-stills-only recreation of the lost phone call between Spencer Tracy and Buster Keaton. The material for the release also says that both versions of the film will feature 5.1 surround audio.

I’ll be 3000 miles away in NYC, so, whichever version is screened at the Dome, I’ll have to settle for Criterion release in January.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 25, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Hello-

what version of IAMMMMW is being shown? the general release print or the closest approximation to the original roadshow cut?

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on October 25, 2013 at 12:37 pm

After reading dozens of comments about bookings at the Chinese, Dome and El Capitan there has been nothing about the special anniversary screenings at the Dome on Sunday October 27. At 12:40pm will be “How the West Was Won” in 3-strip Cinerama and at 5pm “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World” in digital. Still plenty of good seats for “HTWWW” but “Mad World” is filling fast. I didn’t know about it until I received an email from Arclight. I have a good seat for “West”.

Cliffs
Cliffs on October 11, 2013 at 12:35 am

Ironically (as the Dome has historically been my favorite theater), if the same film was being shown at the El Cap, the Chinese, and the Dome and I was being forced to watch it in 3D at all 3 (like many blockbusters now are), the Dome would be my LAST choice. I’ve been hoping this increased competition would force Arclight to retreat back and cater more towards 2D customers (like the Village has done), but between Gravity and now Thor, that isn’t happening. But if it’s 3D only and between the Chinese or the Dome… The Chinese. 3D only and between the El Cap or the Dome… the El Cap.

Robert_G_Kelley
Robert_G_Kelley on October 10, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Cliffs, I know earlier this summer Arclight operating management were up in arms because They wanted Iron Man 3, just like they did last year when they couldn’t get the Avengers as well.(a friend of mine who works for in the Exhibitor relations dept at Disney mentioned that to me)

Its funny Arclight was the one who was insistant on them being the only theatre showing the movies they play,(Heck the owners of the vista had to sue because Arclight was blocking them from getting films) Now that its obvious that audiences will flock to the Chinese and that they cant exert their clout to take disney films from the El Cap they are suddenly willing to share the toys in the sand box.

Hopefully means that once and forall the outdated restrictions on films playing at Arclight cant play at any other theatre in the region will go away. Gravity if anything has shown that both the Arclight and Chinese can both thrive with the same film playing on both locations.

Cliffs
Cliffs on October 9, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Wow… Thor is showing at the El Capitan and the Dome now. I wonder if because of the new Chinese, Arclight Hollywood is no longer in that zone. Weird.

RogerA
RogerA on October 1, 2013 at 8:42 am

The Chinese is an all purpose theater they can run non IMAX stuff too.

BRADE48
BRADE48 on October 1, 2013 at 8:35 am

I hate IMAX as much as I hate 3D. Throw in dinner service and you really piss me off. The Chinese theatre is DEAD to me.

Cliffs
Cliffs on September 30, 2013 at 11:27 pm

If you see Gravity 3D in the Dome instead of the superior presentation at the Chinese, then you deserve the worlds worst 3D presentaion (which is what you’ll get).

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on September 30, 2013 at 10:45 pm

WHAT! THE! BLANK?!?! That’s just INSANE!

Oh well…IMAX trumps Dome all day every day for me. :)

BRADE48
BRADE48 on September 30, 2013 at 6:37 pm

The Cinerama Dome and the Chinese main theatre are both getting Gravity this Friday. Looks like the Chinese can book IMAX same time a film is at the Dome. I know Terminator Salvation was at the Chinese and Arclight at the same time, but not in the Dome.

RussM
RussM on September 27, 2013 at 8:53 am

According to the Flicker Alley website, there will be special events starting about Oct. 22 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Dome. Anyone heard anything about this ?

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on September 3, 2013 at 9:08 am

I was just going to comment on that Chris. I noticed it when I saw Elysium and this Sunday I saw Worlds End and it was really noticeable. Not sure I am a fan of the new masking, I think it makes the screen seem a bit smaller.