AMC Fantasy 5

18 N. Park Avenue,
Rockville Centre, NY 11570

rivoli157
rivoli157 on November 18, 2011 at 10:18 pm

When I was in High School back in the early 70s I used to sub usher here sometimes. My main house was Centurys Grove in Freeport. In the 70s, all the Century Theatres had just about the same look, and were kept very clean and in top shape

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on October 24, 2011 at 1:19 am

This theatre is actually in pretty good shape, and they just spent thousands of dollars rehabbing the giant verticle blade sign with new neon tubing. It glows bright red instead of its previous pink, and looks really impressive.

Hey, Ed Solero! Get out your camera and document this for us, OK? Thanks in advance!

robboehm
robboehm on August 18, 2011 at 3:19 am

That’s the way they do it. I keep reading similar comments on most of the theatres. Century was about the only one that had a good maintenance reputation. UA, Cineplex, etc. just let things slide. Hey, most of these places are leased anyway so the company has no real interest in maintaining them.

RobertR
RobertR on August 17, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Sadly they have let this place fall to crap

Jimly
Jimly on April 7, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Ed,
Thanks for the offer to take a few shots of the lobby and also your great description of the interior space. I look forward to seeing your photos.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on April 6, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Jimly… I go here from time to time and will gladly snap some shots for you, but it’s pretty non-descript. The lobby now takes up about 2/3 of the full width of the building. Standard generic carpeting (I think it’s blue), concession stand is in the back right of the lobby, box office is still facing the street and takes up the right front side of the lobby as you walk in. Bathrooms are on the far right of the lobby. There are a few steps down to the left of the concession stand to get to the two (I believe) downstairs theaters, and against the far left wall is the long escalator and staircase leading up (and down) the remaining theaters on the 2nd level. If you enter through the doors just to the left of the box office, there is a half wall that runs about a ½ the way into the lobby, I suppose to separate those who enter the theater from those who would exit through the two sets of doors that are opposite the escalator and staircase. At the end of the half wall, there is a column on which a framed photo (no bigger than an 8"x10") showing the Fantasy’s original facade from 1929. In fact, it is the very same vintage view that Warren G Harris posted on April 28, 2008. And THAT is the ONLY trace of the old Fantasy Theater that remains!

RobertR
RobertR on April 6, 2011 at 7:35 pm

AMC is letting this fall to crap, the vertical and marquee have so many burned out bulbs.

Jimly
Jimly on April 6, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Does anyone have any recent images of the interior lobby and the area around the concession stand?

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on April 21, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Thanks Lost Memory.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on April 16, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Here is the Fantasy as a Century Theatre.

robboehm
robboehm on March 12, 2009 at 2:48 pm

What’s the point in updating the chain names. They change as often as banks.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on June 26, 2008 at 2:42 pm

The current name of this theatre is Loews Fantasy 5, and should be changed in the main entry:

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on April 28, 2008 at 6:47 pm

Here’s a new link to a vintage view of the Fantasy’s exterior:

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 25, 2007 at 4:31 pm

That’s because the AMC Empire was always an AMC theater, one of a small handful in the New York area, and the only one in Manhattan.

7traintoshea
7traintoshea on November 23, 2007 at 11:22 pm

The AMC Feature presention was running for several years at the AMC Empire 25 prior to the merger. The A/c during the week Bourne was not working as well. But usually it does get too cold in the summer.

7traintoshea
7traintoshea on September 24, 2007 at 5:29 am

theatre capacities
1. 297 SR+D
2. 157 dts/DS
3. 290 dts/DS
4. 150 dts/DS
5. 154 dts/DS

Best theatre of the old ones in the Lower western Nassau area. Digital sound on all screens, Cinema 1 with Dolby Digital Cupholders and AMC Runs the location better than Regal at Lynbrook

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 21, 2007 at 2:39 pm

I thought the manager at this house was a woman? And I was there the other day and the staff was very nice, from box office to candy counter to ticket taker.

This used to be one of my favorites, and is much better than the Lynbrook, but I now prefer the AMC Raceway in Westbury, for their big screens, big sounds and comfy seating. But I still come to the Fantasy when I can, since I don’t want it to close.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on August 21, 2007 at 12:17 pm

As I was Cineplex Odeons point person on this renovation i can tell you the theater was completly gutted ….That being said at the time this was a very good small auditorium renovation…Fantsy has allways done above average for a “LOCAL” THEATER" and like most chains AMC does not keep things up well…

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 21, 2007 at 5:55 am

Wow, interesting post. Too late for me, as I went to the theater just the other night to see “The Bourne Ultimatum.” I don’t know about any filthy hillbillies and henchmen, but I will say that the auditorium (number 4 upstairs) was not sufficiently air-conditioned and several seats (including the first one I tried) were broken. As I think has been mentioned on this page already, all traces of the old Fantasy have been completely eliminated – a complete gut-job very much along the lines of the old Meadows Theater in Fresh Meadows, Queens. It suffers from having been renovated prior to the establishment of the high-backed stadium style seating arrangement as the new standard.

There is one small item of interest to report: After the coming attractions, they ran a vintage “And now our feature presentation” bumper that must have dated back to the 1970’s. I wonder if theater management found this reel in some basement storage area and decided to put it back into circulation for nostalgia’s sake. Or is AMC going retro at other theaters?

fantasysucks
fantasysucks on August 18, 2007 at 1:35 am

fantasy theater in rockville centre ny is garbage…do not go there unless you don’t have a functioning car to get you to another theater…the manager is a filthy hillbilly and his henchmen are impaired degenerates who constantly hunt people that look “suspicious” These grimy ass m'fers don’t deserve your money because they do not respect their customers

Bloop
Bloop on July 5, 2007 at 6:38 pm

Like many other theaters on Long Island, this one turned into a teen hangout that will test your patience until you snap!*

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 18, 2007 at 12:56 pm

The theatre mentioned in this 1929 newspaper article is almost certainly the Fantasy. If the groundbreaking did start as scheduled in April, it’s very possible that the theatre was completed and opened within that same year. “Saturday Night Kid,” which is displayed on the marquee in a photo that I’ve posted previously, was first released in November, 1929, but probably took several weeks or a month to reach a suburban theatre like the Fantasy. Perhaps it was even the Fantasy’s premiere attraction:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/rock1929.jpg
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/fantasy29.jpg

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 16, 2007 at 4:22 pm

Could we come to some agreement on the spelling of the name of the community? Two of its cinemas are listed here as being in Rockville Centre, and the third in Rockville Center. I believe that Rockville Centre is the correct spelling. The name’s similarity to the world-famous Rockefeller Center in NYC may be the reason why it is so often spelled incorrectly.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 6, 2006 at 5:21 pm

Warren… I think I owe you an apology. My first paragraph comments above reflect a misreading of your last comment – which I thought was directed sarcastically at some members here on CT who have commented on other theater pages about current exterior renovation projects. I beg pardon.