AMC Fantasy 5

18 N. Park Avenue,
Rockville Centre, NY 11570

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on October 10, 2012 at 12:36 am

Why is that mylar “Cineplex Odeon” sign still up? It’s starting to rot away by now and makes all the new neon look a little shabby. (And how come so many Loews signs are still up and not replaced by AMC signs, such as at the Raceway

robboehm
robboehm on June 13, 2012 at 8:28 pm

The universal thread in the comments is the lack of upkeep of theatres.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on June 13, 2012 at 6:30 pm

My wife and sister-in-law visited this theater just a couple of days ago to take the kiddies to see “Madagascar 3.” They report that the auditorium they sat in was quite dirty and overall the theater seems to be running down on the inside, despite the recent of expense of refitting the outdoor vertical sign.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on February 5, 2012 at 1:25 am

Beautiful shots, Ed. Just saw them, almost by accident. (I wasn’t notified of a new post to this page…still a few bugs in the system, I guess. It seems we have to manually subscribe now; just making a comment doesn’t automatically subscribe us.)

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 11, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Hey saps… Finally got those images up of the marquee lit up nice and bright at night.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 6, 2012 at 11:25 am

Hey saps! Sorry I haven’t gotten around to taking a pic yet, but been busy of late. I did actually pass by one recent evening, but did not have my good camera on me. The lighting effect of the new neon along the vertical is very subtle and I don’t think a cell phone camera would do it justice. The letters F A N T A S Y along the blade are backlit with neon to provide a reddish glow behind the letters that helps define each character. I don’t want to make any empty promises, but I’ll try to get over there sometime this weekend to snap a couple of shots.

robboehm
robboehm on November 19, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I wouldn’t say they had the same look, except for the official Century carpet, and the fact they dated to the 1930s,but they were well maintained.

rivoli157
rivoli157 on November 18, 2011 at 5:18 pm

When I was in High School back in the early 70s I used to sub usher here sometimes. My main house was Centurys Grove in Freeport. In the 70s, all the Century Theatres had just about the same look, and were kept very clean and in top shape

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on October 23, 2011 at 8:19 pm

This theatre is actually in pretty good shape, and they just spent thousands of dollars rehabbing the giant verticle blade sign with new neon tubing. It glows bright red instead of its previous pink, and looks really impressive.

Hey, Ed Solero! Get out your camera and document this for us, OK? Thanks in advance!

robboehm
robboehm on August 17, 2011 at 10:19 pm

That’s the way they do it. I keep reading similar comments on most of the theatres. Century was about the only one that had a good maintenance reputation. UA, Cineplex, etc. just let things slide. Hey, most of these places are leased anyway so the company has no real interest in maintaining them.

RobertR
RobertR on August 17, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Sadly they have let this place fall to crap

Jimly
Jimly on April 7, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Ed,
Thanks for the offer to take a few shots of the lobby and also your great description of the interior space. I look forward to seeing your photos.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on April 6, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Jimly… I go here from time to time and will gladly snap some shots for you, but it’s pretty non-descript. The lobby now takes up about 2/3 of the full width of the building. Standard generic carpeting (I think it’s blue), concession stand is in the back right of the lobby, box office is still facing the street and takes up the right front side of the lobby as you walk in. Bathrooms are on the far right of the lobby. There are a few steps down to the left of the concession stand to get to the two (I believe) downstairs theaters, and against the far left wall is the long escalator and staircase leading up (and down) the remaining theaters on the 2nd level. If you enter through the doors just to the left of the box office, there is a half wall that runs about a ½ the way into the lobby, I suppose to separate those who enter the theater from those who would exit through the two sets of doors that are opposite the escalator and staircase. At the end of the half wall, there is a column on which a framed photo (no bigger than an 8"x10") showing the Fantasy’s original facade from 1929. In fact, it is the very same vintage view that Warren G Harris posted on April 28, 2008. And THAT is the ONLY trace of the old Fantasy Theater that remains!

RobertR
RobertR on April 6, 2011 at 2:35 pm

AMC is letting this fall to crap, the vertical and marquee have so many burned out bulbs.

Jimly
Jimly on April 6, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Does anyone have any recent images of the interior lobby and the area around the concession stand?

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on April 21, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Thanks Lost Memory.

robboehm
robboehm on March 12, 2009 at 10:48 am

What’s the point in updating the chain names. They change as often as banks.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on June 26, 2008 at 9:42 am

The current name of this theatre is Loews Fantasy 5, and should be changed in the main entry:

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on April 28, 2008 at 1:47 pm

Here’s a new link to a vintage view of the Fantasy’s exterior:

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 25, 2007 at 11:31 am

That’s because the AMC Empire was always an AMC theater, one of a small handful in the New York area, and the only one in Manhattan.

7traintoshea
7traintoshea on November 23, 2007 at 6:22 pm

The AMC Feature presention was running for several years at the AMC Empire 25 prior to the merger. The A/c during the week Bourne was not working as well. But usually it does get too cold in the summer.

7traintoshea
7traintoshea on September 24, 2007 at 12:29 am

theatre capacities
1. 297 SR+D
2. 157 dts/DS
3. 290 dts/DS
4. 150 dts/DS
5. 154 dts/DS

Best theatre of the old ones in the Lower western Nassau area. Digital sound on all screens, Cinema 1 with Dolby Digital Cupholders and AMC Runs the location better than Regal at Lynbrook

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 21, 2007 at 9:39 am

I thought the manager at this house was a woman? And I was there the other day and the staff was very nice, from box office to candy counter to ticket taker.

This used to be one of my favorites, and is much better than the Lynbrook, but I now prefer the AMC Raceway in Westbury, for their big screens, big sounds and comfy seating. But I still come to the Fantasy when I can, since I don’t want it to close.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on August 21, 2007 at 7:17 am

As I was Cineplex Odeons point person on this renovation i can tell you the theater was completly gutted ….That being said at the time this was a very good small auditorium renovation…Fantsy has allways done above average for a “LOCAL” THEATER" and like most chains AMC does not keep things up well…