Hinsdale Theater

Broan
Broan on November 5, 2006 at 3:30 pm

Updated Russell Phillips link:
Hinsdale Auditorium

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on May 17, 2006 at 1:08 pm

What happened to the organ after the place was converted to retail?

barryr
barryr on February 8, 2006 at 5:40 pm

I remember seeing some really good films at the Hinsdale—“Patton,” “The Poseidon Adventure,” and a double feature of “MASH” and “The Paper Chase” to name a few. This is going to sound weird, but one of the things I liked about the Hinsdale was that the restrooms were right in the back of the auditorium. You didn’t have to go out to the lobby to get to them. In fact, you could still hear the soundtrack of the film while “taking care of business.” It was nice, because—as long as you could still hear dialogue—you didn’t feel like you were missing any of the movie!

I recently moved back to the Hinsdale area and frequently drive past what used to be the theater. It’s a retail outlet now; the new facade suggests that it used to be something other than a store, and I have to admit it’s quite attractive—but I miss checking that marquee to see what’s playing as I cruise past!

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on November 13, 2005 at 5:16 pm

I walked by here today. Nothing remains to indicate that this was a movie theatre. However, it does look better than what was the Varsity Theatre in Evanston, IL (which is now a Gap store with a facade that looks like it was grafted onto the building). At least they did a good job converting the theatre.

reiermann
reiermann on July 12, 2005 at 7:29 am

Only was here once; however, what a movie! Abel Gance’s Napoleon. Turned out to be one of my all time favorite movies. It was cool seeing it in a theater built during the same era as when the movie was made.

Broan
Broan on June 9, 2005 at 1:13 am

Here is a 1985 photo of the auditorium, Of the lobby. Does anyone know what became of the organ? I saw it up fr sale on theatreorgans.com once, but I never heard where it sold to.

Broan
Broan on October 30, 2004 at 12:30 pm

Here’s a link with photos of the theatre. View link

RonGreene
RonGreene on March 2, 2003 at 2:18 pm

Hinsdale Theater is in fact open at this time. Today, 3/2/03 they are showing “Rabbit Proof Fence” –

How do they – or you – update your information? Their phone # listed in the paper is 630-986-9494. Signed, a community patron Rev. Ron Greene

Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois
Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois on February 6, 2002 at 10:31 am

I went looking for the Hinsdale yesterday and had a little trouble finding it. I wouldn’t say it is on a main street, but sorta on a side street. To help others find it, it is in downtown Hinsdale at 29 E First, between Washington and Second ST.

PatBruder
PatBruder on September 24, 2001 at 12:38 pm

To learn more about the Hinsdael Theater and the effort underway right now to save the Theater, log onto our web site at www.hinsdaletheater.org

MarkGulbrandsen
MarkGulbrandsen on August 23, 2001 at 2:15 pm

The Hinsdale is a very special place. Not only is it a very beautiful theatre but it contains what is easily the finest pipe organ anywhere in the Midwest area. It is a 3/28 Kimball. And there are more ranks that have yet to become operational at this point in time. The organ can be seen here… http://www.catoe.org/hinsdale.html

I was recording engineer for a CD that was done of this organ a year or so before the theatre closed. I’m sure glad that we spent time doing this as this organ might not be open to public performances anymore. Don Springer and I opted for a “you are there” type of sound for the CD. The citizens of Hinsdale are fools if they don’t preserve this theatre!!