29 E. 1st Street,
5 people favorited this theater
The Hinsdale Theater was built in 1925 by local architect William G. Barfield. Complete with ornate plasterwork and a dome in the auditorium, the Hinsdale Theater was remodeled in the 1930’s and again in the 1960’s, when a rather garish marquee (since taken down) was added. A Kimball 3 manual, 28 ranks theatre organ was installed. The console came from the Senate Theatre on Chicago’s west side, and the pipes came from the Trianon Ballroom Chicago and the Tivoli Theatre, Cottage Grove.
The Hinsdale Theater closed in the late-1970’s, reopened in 1983 under the management of Classic Cinemas until 1990. It re-opened and then closed again in 1996, and was used sporadically until 1999.
In 2002, the Hinsdale Theater was leased by the Village Theatres chain, screening first-run films, but as of August 31, 2003, the theater was closed yet again.
Plans to restore the Hinsdale Theater to its 1930’s appearance by the Hinsdale Theater Foundation came to a halt due to the theater’s current owner’s lack of cooperation with the group on a number of issues. In 2004, the Hinsdale Theatre Foundation gave up on attempting to reopen the theater and it was sold to a developer who converted it into mixed retail and office space, though historic elements of the Hinsdale Theater were preserved. In 2012, it was converted into a Mexican restaurant.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater