New 400 Theaters

6746 N. Sheridan Road,
Chicago, IL 60626

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on May 26, 2009 at 2:04 pm

The Village North sign has been demolished. There is a vinyl banner hanging above the doors now that says something like:

“coming soon, the NEW 400 THEATRE”

Saw this on my way down Sheridan last night. The power is on in the lobby, also a good sign.

Brainwrap
Brainwrap on April 15, 2009 at 8:08 pm

Does anyone know what happened to Ron Rooding?

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on April 14, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Thanks. But “Paste” & WebTV isn’t really a good combo. It’s “server” is too archaic, and it would just post/revert to that site’s main page. If WebTV was able to do anything at all. I can send links to people, but not to other sites.
Alas, I must leave the link posting to the pros.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on April 14, 2009 at 3:38 pm

That web site has pictures of everything. I am beginning to feel like a drug addict. It’s easy to post links. Just right click the web address and copy it. Then you can paste into Cinema Treasures.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on April 14, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Hey LTS, that site has 4 pics of the Nortown, since you are able to post them.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on April 14, 2009 at 3:25 pm

The 400, complete with old-school road sign:

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on April 14, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Reactivate Notification Status.

CatherineDiMartino
CatherineDiMartino on March 31, 2009 at 5:50 pm

I’ve been a little out of the loop lately. Village Theatres has bitten the dust? Yeah, I’ll shed a tear for them. They were one of the worst chains ever.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on March 19, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Here is a March 2009 article from the Chicago Tribune:

mp775
mp775 on January 21, 2009 at 1:59 pm

According to the ChiTown Daily News, the owner of the strip mall plans on renovating and reopening the theater himself. Perhaps this should be listed as “Closed/Renovating/Restoring”?

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on January 15, 2009 at 8:16 am

Fandango still has the place open and showing “Bedtime Stories”, “The Spirit”, “Valkyrie”, and “Yes Man”.

Broan
Broan on January 14, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Can we agree now that changing this listing to “Visionary” was premature, since it was only a name used on the telephone for about a month?

Jonah
Jonah on January 14, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I passed by this place a few days ago. It is definitely closed. Newspaper over the windows, empty marquee, the works. So “Visionary Theatres” lasted what? about two months?

Broan
Broan on January 13, 2009 at 7:32 pm

Postings from the Bristol TN theatres indicate that Russo is a former general manager for Village.

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on January 8, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Uh, I think they have closed. I tried calling their phone number and a recording is saying that it cannot receive calls at this time. Also, Yahoo Movies is showing nothing for tomorrow.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on December 12, 2008 at 7:30 pm

Jimpiscitelli, no doubt I’m aiming to reopen 7-8 and 9-10. 9-10 still sits off Torrence Ave in the mall lot, boarded up and all.

daimon9
daimon9 on December 12, 2008 at 5:08 pm

The Village North/Visionary theaters is dirty at times but it reminds me of the old theaters they had downtown. This theater also offers midnight shows and this gives 3rd shift workers like myself a chance to see movies at the theater at a time that’s convenient for me.

jimpiscitelli
jimpiscitelli on December 4, 2008 at 11:51 am

To CinemarkFan: If you are going after the River Oaks not only 1-6, but hopefully go can go after 7-8 and especially 9-10 if it is still standing and not converted to retail or demolished.

As for the Golf Glen, why bother reopening it when you have the Showplace 12 at Golf Mill.

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on November 28, 2008 at 8:47 pm

When you call their phone #, the recording says “Visionary Theatre formerly the Village North”.

Broan
Broan on November 28, 2008 at 8:56 am

Yeah, I’m not sure it’s time yet to change the name, since Visionary Theatres is obviously a corporate name.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 28, 2008 at 7:31 am

I drove by this building last night by chance. It still looks exactly the same. There were not any “Visionary Theatres” signs, etc.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on November 27, 2008 at 2:32 pm

Paul and BW, how are you guys willing to bet that in the next few months, improvments will start being made?

I finally went here in August to see the latest “Mummy” flick, and I was impressed with the place. For an old building with management who runs good theaters (Water Tower, Burnham Plaza, Stratford Square) in the ground, it was in decent condition. What I hope Visionary will do is install new carpeting, improve bathrooms, new decor, because the current state makes it look like a seedy nightclub. This is really evident in the hallway leading to auditoriums 3-4. Of course new seats and lighting in the auditoriums themselves would be swell. The current condition is a lot better than what some user reviews at yelp.com make them out to be. But then I was at an afternoon showing. All and all, I will return soon, and combine it with another trip to Carmen’s Pizza (great stuff) a few blocks away.

I can’t remember the exact seating count, but #1 seats 140. 2 seats 100, 3 and 4 both seat about 120.

Everyone give props to Paul, who predicted that Village Theatres would be gone by 2008. With my theater corporation yet to get off the ground, this was a lesson in how NOT to run a business. It is truly sad how some once good or great theaters have died early deaths under Village’s reign. Had someone with a plan entered the business, Burnham Plaza and the Village in old town would’ve been around longer. Same can be said for Stratford Square, which could’ve survived in it’s original carnation. I would’ve added 2-4 screens to it, then remodel the nearby Bloomingdale Court. Yeah I know the new Century/Cinemark is the thing, but I still love those early 80s mall theaters with big screens and simple decor. And SS opened in March of 1981.

Anyway, rant over. But looking at some of their theaters, Water Tower’s days were numbered long ago. They really went under when ICE management took over, then couldn’t pay taxes. And I don’t know how long Lincoln Village has. The current mix of Bollywood and first run movies aren’t bringing in LOTS of people needed to stay strong. And it needs improvments badly. And on another note, Phoenix Theaters is reopening Golf Glen soon. And me, I’m going after River Oaks (keep fingers crossed everyone!). I have a name for my potential corporation too, but I want to suprise everyone.

Rant really over. And happy thanksgiving everyone!

Broan
Broan on November 27, 2008 at 11:33 am

According to the Illinois Secretary of State, Visionary Theatres Incorporated began operations on 9/24/2008. The agent is listed as Dawn Russo of Bolingbrook.

Village Entertainment, meanwhile, was involuntarily dissolved on 9/12/08.

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on November 27, 2008 at 7:55 am

I wonder who owns it and operates it. Is it independent?

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on November 26, 2008 at 8:23 pm

And they have first run films!
What a comeback.