Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 51 - 75 of 4,406 comments

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 10, 2016 at 10:02 am

Interesting article. ast customers would’ve have purchased & cherished the end chairs with Z on them! It also looks like from that article that the neat sconces remain in the auditorium. It would be a shame if they too are trashed. Others took better photos of the chairs, but I’ve got photos of the sconces in my gallery here https://www.flickr.com/photos/howardbhaas/albums/72157634640390968

theatrefan
theatrefan on February 10, 2016 at 9:36 am

Link to article in the NY Daily News about the seats being ripped out and thrown into the garbage: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/manhattan/ziegfeld-theater-seats-thrown-closure-article-1.2526011

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on February 9, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Hello-

to Al A.– I don’t subscribe to the N Y Times so does registering for their website cost $$$? I try not to let my friend stump me but I don’t see spending $$$ to get the answer.

to Bill H.– seeing Ryan’s Daughter at the Ziegfeld was a true movie going experience. most especially during the storm sequence when the villagers are trying to bring the guns ashore.

also seeing The Rose and Close Encounters of the Third Kind in 70mm at this theater was perfect.

I also saw a special screening of Gandhi in 70mm which the late Richard Attenborough attended. I spoke to him after and said he’d better get his Oscar speech for Best Director ready. he thanked me graciously for my thought but said he didn’t want to get his hopes up.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 8, 2016 at 3:56 pm

Joe, I envy you seeing Ryan’s Daughter at the Ziegfeld. Of all the great movies that played there, that’s the biggest one that got away from me. I finally got to see it in 70mm at the Walter Reade Theater in 2012, but there’s only one Ziegfeld.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 8, 2016 at 3:42 pm

bigjoe59:

I posted the NYC TV listings for that date in 1950 in the Photos section of the Ziegfeld page, but I couldn’t find the name of the movie.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on February 8, 2016 at 2:56 pm

I wonder how many movies the Ziegfeld has shown from its opening until its closing…excluding rereleases.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on February 8, 2016 at 2:14 pm

to Al A.–

thanks for the info. I saw Ryan’s Daughter twice possibly three times during its run at this theater. I’m surprised they never sold a souvenir program.

you have helped me in the past with questions I have posted so I hope you can do so again. I have a friend who e-mails questions to se how good my Internet searching skills are but I am stumped on this one. he asked me what movie was shown on all NYC t.v. stations on January 22, 1950. do you have any idea where I can find this info? thanks in advance.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on February 7, 2016 at 6:59 am

Seeing that closed logo and hearing how quickly they started taking the theater apart still hurts. But thanks to everyone for the photos, and film listings.

While I saw a couple films there during the 2008 NYFF that I don’t recall for sure, with those lists I believe I was able to remember all the normal theatrical releases I saw there (from Independence Day to Spectre)

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on February 4, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Hello-

the theater opened Dec. 1969 with Marooned which I believe was its only traditional reserved seat attraction. now the theater was used for many years by the studios for exclusive runs of their big films. this is where my question comes in. if I am not mistaken Ryan’s Daughter opened on a reserved performance engagement. did it have 2 shows during the week and 3 shows on Sat. and Sun.?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 4, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Link to the news story that I posted. Don’t neglect to check out the links on the right including the interesting “early years” link http://www.in70mm.com/news/2016/ziegfeld/index.htm

BobbyS
BobbyS on February 3, 2016 at 10:04 pm

Beautifully said NYer…

NYer
NYer on February 3, 2016 at 1:44 pm

C'mon how lucky were we? We got to crush the velvet at the Ziegfeld!

So thanks are not only in order, but well deserved. Thanks to the staff and managers. From the box office cashiers, the concession teams, the maintenance crews that kept the place gleaming & the chandeliers sparking.

Thanks to the pros in the booth, that kept that magical flickering light sharp and the sounds booming, to the ushers that would that would wish us a “Good night and come again!” as we entered the real world again.

Thanks to the audiences who stood in line down W54th Street rain or shine, making the experience an event. For respecting where we were and not in their living rooms.

And thank you for this place and the fans that make sure our Cinema Treasure memories live on. “The Ziegfeld”, never The Ziegfeld THEATRE, we were all on intimate terms after all, you were first class from day one until the final closed curtain. Thank you.

movieguy
movieguy on February 3, 2016 at 1:00 pm

A multiplex is nothing but a room with a screen some seats and four walls. It has no character absolutely no thought to it just a plain room. I find myself going less and less to these multiplexes. I’m glad that The Lafayette theater from 1920 for a beautiful grand movie palace is just 15 minutes from where I currently live. There’s also an older theater in Westwood New Jersey that now has four screens with the regional one used to be. It feels like an old movie theater especially in the upstairs balcony section that now have two theaters. Paramount theater in Middletown New York shows mostly independent movies about three or four weeks after they come to the regular multiplex. Avon theater in Stanford Connecticut not-for-profit showing mostly again independent movies. But the State Theatre in Stanford Connecticut 990 Hope St. It’s still in original single screen. From 1927. They also built a small theater separate from the original single screen.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on February 3, 2016 at 11:13 am

The same thing was done at Loews Astor Plaza. After the final show they had construction workers ripping the screen apart. I hate it and all these multiplexes that have taken away all our grand theaters.

movieguy
movieguy on February 3, 2016 at 3:41 am

The free Tuesday night under Clearview was only for people who had Cablevision. Not everybody got in for free that Tuesday night. You had to show your Cablevision optimum card.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 2, 2016 at 5:40 pm

The Ziegfeld Museum artifacts ought to go to a museum!

BobbyS
BobbyS on February 2, 2016 at 4:31 pm

Wow…Stripping her the next day! What an insult!

Orlando
Orlando on February 2, 2016 at 3:59 pm

To me, Clearview ruined the Zeigfeld with their “Cablevision Free Tuesdays”. This ruined a lot of their locations. But Dolan of Cablevision forged with this to help his cable business. He didn’t care about the theatres. When you’re giving out free tix on Tuesday, who is going to PAY for it. Even though the people didn'y pay, Cablevision had to give (Pay)the film companies the minimum seat admission price. So they lost the customers that might have patronized the theatre all through the week, and giving the theatre free to all on Tuesdays. Would you pay on Sun, Mon, Wed, Thu, Fri, or Sat., when you can go in free on Tuesday? Think about it. I was there on opening day (Reserved Seats) and the last day and many times in between in my theatre career.

Cablevision didn't waste any time taking out the chandeliers, the Reade's Zeigfeld Museum and everything else that they could carry the next day. I'm quite sure none of the momentos of the theatre where donated to a museum. They took them out to sell, auction off and whatever. Maybe one of the chandeliers is now hanging in one of the Dolan's residences. We all know Cablevision is not a poor company, it could have kept the theatre open for prestige, but they are not about that. They are money-suckers.
                  Thank you to the former Walter Reade Organization for the Zeigfeld Theatre.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on February 2, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Hello-

as has been said this theater’s days were numbered the moment the multiplex era emerged and studios felt it necessary to open all “big” films on 2,000-3,000 screens the same day. to which was the last exclusive 1st run engagement of a “big” studio film at the Ziegfeld? I have tried to remember but can’t.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on February 2, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Yes, Craig O'Connor did a good job for Clearview, both here and at the Chelsea. He is what they needed, a person of vision and creativity, a latter-day showman, and when he left it left a void that was never properly filled.

I’m surprised the Moss family didn’t do a better job, seeing as how they’ve been exhibitors since the turn of the LAST century. There are plenty of examples of their ballyhoo here at Cinema Treasures but the current generation sure dropped the ball at this location.

vindanpar
vindanpar on February 2, 2016 at 12:15 pm

I remember reading once that Spielberg was not happy that Close Encounters had an initial exclusive engagement in markets.

From the beginning he wanted a huge roll out for block buster grosses.

It is amazing the Ziegfeld lasted this this long. It was a white elephant a long time ago.

markp
markp on February 2, 2016 at 7:29 am

Never gonna happen at Radio City as long as cablevision owns it.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 2, 2016 at 6:52 am

I think the show I attended was in the same Universal series, so it was 1997. Later that week I saw Jaws and The Blues Brothers at Radio City, but Psycho had the biggest audience. A year earlier there was a WB series with Bonnie and Clyde, The Exorcist (another sellout), My Fair Lady, etc. No reason why Radio City can’t do something like this again, now that we’ve lost the Ziegfeld.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 2, 2016 at 6:09 am

Bill, in Philly burbs on June 29, 2000, AMC TV hosted a free screening of “Psycho” (1960) with Janet Leigh appearing in person. That was part of a national tour so that would’ve also been in NYC. I saw the movie in 1997 at Radio City as part of a Universal classic series.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 2, 2016 at 4:11 am

I always thought an arrangement similar to the classics-only program that saved the Egyptian Theatre in LA (American Cinematheque) could have saved the Ziegfeld. I attended three TCM Road to Hollywood shows at the Ziegfeld in three different years – All About Eve, To Kill a Mockingbird and Cabaret – and all seats were filled for all three shows. Admission was free, but I’ll bet 99.9% of the people there would’ve gladly payed full price.

Also remembering a weeknight showing of Psycho (I forget the year – early 2000s?) that literally filled Radio City Music Hall. That audience is still out there.