Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 51 - 75 of 4,043 comments

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 9, 2014 at 10:20 am

It is changed based on the number of views each photo gets. The one with the most views gets to be on the front page of the listing. I went in and looked at the closed curtain photo ten times, to help boost its numbers and keep it up front. It’s currently on page six of the photos, so jump to that page and have a look. Or ten.

markp
markp on September 9, 2014 at 8:33 am

To whoever keeps changing the photo, please leave the one with the curtain closed, as opposed to the one with the screen ad showing on the screen.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 8, 2014 at 2:56 pm

The AMC, Bowtie and City Cinema discounts are good seven days a week, not just on the weekends. Bowtie offers the discount at its Chelsea house and all other locations but not at its Ziegfeld location.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 8, 2014 at 11:29 am

Hello to All-

in reference to Al A.’s comment about the 3 big AMC multiplexes being cash cows. you have to remember these three big complexes have a policy of discount prices before 12:00p.m. on Fri., Sat. and Sun. for any film regular, 3D or IMAX. I’m surprised this theater doesn’t offer the discount.

oddly enough eventhough this policy is the reason for these three multiplexes raking in the bucks for early shows Fri., Sat. & Sun. which they’ve been doing for years the Regal 42 St. multiplex and the Regal Union Square 14 multiplex still don’t offer the discount. I think the only other chain to offer the before 12:00p.m. discount on Fri., Sat and Sun. is City Cinemas.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 7, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Exactly my point, bigjoe59. The crowd for “Les Miserables” on 42nd street didn’t have to wait at all. There was a screening starting every few minutes with immediate seating. That is how those two cash cows on 42nd street outgross most of the country with the possible exception of Lincoln Square.

If you were a distributor would you bypass 42nd street to protect the Ziegfeld? You may do it for a few days just for prestige as “DREAMGIRLS” did, but much longer. Moviemakers just can’t afford that anymore.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 7, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Hello to All-

we are having a lively discussion aren’t we? Al A. makes some valid points but it is still my belief that the one main reason the Ziegfeld rarely has a full house is because whatever big film plays there is also playing at 12 other theaters in Manhattan. its NOT because of the location. after all if the theater was hard to find why was the 1st show of the day of Les Miserables the day after Christmas 2012 rather well attended? not only that but when I left the theater there was a line half down 54th St. for the next show.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 6, 2014 at 10:18 pm

When the Rialto was showing The Devil in Miss Jones nobody seemed to complain about subway noise…!

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 6, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Yes, that one.

It was a wonderful brand new 70mm TWIN theatre with brand new seats and trademark Cineplex faux marble that failed miserably because it was too close to 42nd Street.

The two biggest hits I can remember there were “UNCLE BUCK” and the move-over of “LAWRENCE” in gorgeous 70mm.

Twin 2 (Rialto 2) never made it pass day two due to subway noise.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 6, 2014 at 7:39 pm

The Warner nee Rialto? Entrance on Seventh? I went there a few times after Cineplex Odeon revamped it, but don’t remember that Lawrence played there.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 6, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Let us not forget that Walter Reade and Cineplex Odeon used their clout to drive films to the Ziegfeld, something Clearview and Bow Tie don’t have.

Also, when “LAWRENCE OF ARABIA” moved to the loser Warner on 42nd street late in that run, business picked up.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on September 5, 2014 at 7:50 pm

I’m proud to be a faithful Ziegfeld customer. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was the most recent time I went out of my way to see a movie there. I understand all the reasons why, but it’s still sad to see so many empty seats. I’ll never forget people desperately hunting down a place to sit before a sold-out Lawrence of Arabia show began (1989). Those were the days.

It’s easier to get home from the Empire 25 on 42nd St. – it should be, anyway, but it takes about 10 minutes to get out of that building. It all evens out. Better off going to the Ziegfeld.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 5, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Property values are a curious thing.

I love the Ziegfeld. It was my office for many years and the best screen in Manhattan. It is the best theatre in Manhattan for people who love big movies. That does not take away from reality.

The Ziegfeld is still there ONLY because nobody wants that location.

Yet.

But it is NOT a choice location to open a major movie. And it never was.

NYer
NYer on September 5, 2014 at 6:30 pm

AlAvarez you seem to take glee in repeating other theaters out gross The Ziegfeld. The Coronet was smack dab in the middle of a neighborhood, surrounded by high rise apartment buildings and 42nd Street has had a neighborhood resurgence over 8th Ave. People who go to The Ziegfeld, go because they want to be there, even if it’s not next door. The one thing you haven’t mentioned about the much more successful Coronet, it ain’t there anymore.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 5, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Not really a matter of finding it but rather finding a better located place to see the same movie.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on September 5, 2014 at 3:33 pm

No one has a problem finding the theatre, it’s main problem is the shifting movie patterns in the city . I have worked there when we have done $60,000 a day

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 5, 2014 at 3:26 pm

I have stated before, audiences DID have a problem finding it, hence the Coronet day and date openings in the eighties and nineties. A 100 seat screen on 42nd street can still outgross it.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 5, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Hello to All-

I thank all of my fellow posters who commented on my question as to how “off the beaten track” the Ziegfeld is. the reason the Ziegfeld rarely has anything amounting to a decent sized audience is because any “big” film which opens there also opens at a dozen other theaters in Manhattan. my point being said lack of a decent sized audience has nothing to do with it “being off the beaten path” in the strict sense of the term. after all people had no trouble
finding it in the 70s and 80s when it still played exclusive 1st runs.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on September 5, 2014 at 7:29 am

I went to two Ziegfeld morning shows this summer (around 10-10:30 AM): Jersey Boys and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. But there were no pre-12 noon discounts. There were also just a handful of people at both shows.

mhvbear
mhvbear on September 5, 2014 at 5:34 am

The only bargain priced tickets on 42nd and Manhattan theaters are shows before 12 noon. Bowtie offers these prices at the Chelsea. I can’t remember the last time there was a morning show at the Ziegfeld. “Guardians of the Galaxy” is back at the Ziegfeld in 2D. Definitely worth checking out again.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 4, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Back then, Disney didn’t want “WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT” on 42nd street. Universal didn’t want “THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST” on 42nd street. Major screens like the the National and the Astor simply could not deliver the audience. The Ziegfeld could.

That is no longer the case.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 4, 2014 at 7:12 pm

The Ziegfeld didn’t usually play day-and-date with the Broadway houses, so even on a national run, they were still “exclusive” in Times Square.

Plus, since they rarely have an exclusive nowadays, most of the pictures they play are readily available in your own neighborhood, or at one of the 39 screens on 42nd Street. (And often with a bargain matinee offered, which unfortunately the Ziegfeld does not.)

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 4, 2014 at 11:29 am

The big difference is that back when the Ziegfeld was showing exclusives of major films, the Times Square theatres were thriving on exploitation films that did even better than big budget Hollywood films and the Ziegfeld was a better choice for the “GANDHI” and “BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY” crowd. This is no longer the case as in the new Times Square theatres on 42nd street even art films do well and exploitation films are few and far between. “GANDHI” today would do better on multiple screens at the Empire.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 4, 2014 at 10:55 am

to CConnolly1-

you certainly make a valid point about the foot traffic around the Ziegfeld once the workday is over. but and there’s always a butt.

though Marooned was the theater’s one reserved seat engagement studios continued to use the theater for exclusive 1st runs even after the reserved seat policy was discontinued. these exclusive engagements were for both new films and restored classics(My Fair Lady, Vertigo etc..). so if people were able to easily find the Ziegfeld when studios still used it for exclusive 1st runs I don’t see why people should have trouble finding it now. plus I bet the foot traffic after the work day was over was no different then than it is now.

CConnolly1
CConnolly1 on September 4, 2014 at 5:17 am

In reply to bigjoe59’s reply to my comment on July 28, 2014: I should have further defined my use of the term “off the beaten” path when referring to the Ziegfeld’s location. What I mean is that it is off the beaten path for people seeking a movie or some kind of night life. In NYC, neighborhoods change sometimes within mere blocks of one another. Example: on weekends, Times Square (7th Ave and 47th Street) is jammed but just one block over on 6th, it’s much, much less crowded (and that’s why I always walk over to 6th to get around the crowds). I don’t know what the neighborhood was like when the original Ziegfeld was opened but I would guess it was different than what it is now (likely it was more mixed use: residential, small businesses, nightclubs). Today, it’s pretty much all office space/corporate area and after 5PM or so, it’s kind of quiet (I should know. I worked right around the block from The Ziegfeld for years). Yes, there’s some foot traffic at night but nothing compared to Times Square (not even close) and most of the foot traffic involves people going through the area to other locations. Additionally, there’s really not a lot of residential areas nearby like you see down on 23rd Street which would help a theater like The Ziegfeld to thrive because it would be part of a neighborhood’s identity.

Others are correct that there would be a huge protest if The Ziegfeld were to be closed and demolished.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 18, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Hello-

this question is for devotees of the good olde reserved seat policy or to use the trade term roadshow policy. of course the only roadshow engagement this theater hosted was its initial film “Marooned”. so for the Oct. 1955 to Dec. 1972 prime roadshow period did anyone attend or know of a reserved seat run that did not have a souvenir program?