Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 51 - 75 of 4,102 comments

Vito
Vito on November 17, 2014 at 2:11 am

Brat,I understand it’s just that sometimes with the Mag tracks EQ we were often able to do wonders with a so so tracks but I hear what you are saying its just anytime I can hope mag sound would be an improvement I cant help but say that; old school and all that rot ya know

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on November 16, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Hello-

I saw the film last weekend but not at this theater which I had planned to but as they say things happen. now I thought the sound at the theater I saw it at was fine. so might someone explain to me what the complaints are about.

NYer
NYer on November 16, 2014 at 5:36 pm

The Director of “Interstellar” addresses complaints about the sound in The Hollywood Reporter.

thebrat
thebrat on November 16, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Vito, it’s the mix itself. Magnetic wouldn’t improve anything.

Vito
Vito on November 15, 2014 at 4:15 am

Not so perfect sound sounds to me like a good argument to bring back 6 track mag

NYer
NYer on November 14, 2014 at 2:56 pm

I’ve heard two national critics mention the sound mix on “Interstellar” was bad so the problem isn’t The Ziegfeld’s. Usually sci-fi films win the sound Oscar, let’s see if it even gets a nomination.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 14, 2014 at 2:41 pm

I enjoy the Ziegfeld surround sound, not too loud in my opinion! Couldn’t understand all the words but that was this film.

cmbussmann
cmbussmann on November 14, 2014 at 7:57 am

The curtains were working at Interstellar last night, though the audience laughed at them closing after the previews only to just open again one second later with another preview to follow.

The 70mm presentation was beautiful visually but the audio was awful. As with other recent visits, the overall volume/decibel level was way too high for both the previews and the film. My ears were ringing afterward. Unless Bow Tie addresses this issue, my next visit to the Ziegfeld might sadly be my last.

Vito
Vito on November 12, 2014 at 2:38 am

The discussion about the number of 70mm reels for Interstellar must include the IMAX version; the 70mm IMAX 15/70 version requires 48 reels a total of 60,288 feet of film for the 169 min print. Which weigh some 800lb check out this video

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on November 11, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Thank you, Mr. John Sittig. I just saw you a few minutes ago in my home theater in “The Last Days of Cinerama”, part of the “Search for Paradise” Blu-ray package.

Jsittig70mm
Jsittig70mm on November 11, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Interstellar 70mm is 8 reels.
I saw them in the booth at the Cinerama Dome

markp
markp on November 11, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Went to the 2:45pm show today. About 75 people in the audience. No curtains, but I was informed by Joe Masher that there was a tech there tweeking things, which I can believe as we were not let in till 2:35 and there was a film loop running on the screen. The presentation was flawless, no scratches or dirt. It did start out of frame, and there were people talking in the booth that we could hear. Sound was kickin. My wife and I had a great time.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on November 11, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Hello to All-

if I am not mistaken its been everyone’s assumption that the reason the curtains at the Ziegfeld hadn’t been used in God knows how long was because the mechanism to open and close them was broken. plus neither Clearview nor Bow Tie wanted to spend the money to fix said mechanism. but apparently said mechanism isn’t broken so why haven’t the curtains been used in God knows how long?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 11, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Are there more 70mm films coming out soon for the Z?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 11, 2014 at 11:46 am

Thanks, Bill, I appreciate your comment. I hope more people will decide they want to see a movie at the wonderful Ziegfeld.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on November 11, 2014 at 11:27 am

Thanks for your photo essay, Howard. You really captured the Ziegfeld experience!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 11, 2014 at 11:14 am

Just published! My report on “Interstellar” at the Ziegfeld. Thanks to Joe Masher who commented above for the decision to employ the curtains- both of them! And, yes, let’s hope more 70mm films such as The Hateful Eight are showcased at the Ziegfeld. http://www.in70mm.com/news/2014/ziegfeld/index.htm

LuisV
LuisV on November 11, 2014 at 9:27 am

I assume the Ziegfeld will be screening the newest Hunger Games installment at Thanksgiving as well as Into The Woods at Christmas?????

xbs2034
xbs2034 on November 11, 2014 at 8:58 am

Given the good response to Interstellar here, I hope the Ziegfeld also gets The Hateful Eight next year. Seems like a perfect fit for the 70mm roadshow release Tarantino is planning.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 11, 2014 at 8:52 am

I wish they’d use the curtains more but think this is only for the special 70mm screenings.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on November 11, 2014 at 8:28 am

Thanks, Vito, for all the cue info. “Cue” is the word I was looking for! I actually tried to count them to see how many reels “Interstellar” would be, but I lost track somewhere after Reel 5.

curmudgeon
curmudgeon on November 11, 2014 at 7:58 am

HowardBHaas, do you think the present operators (I understand Bow Tie Cinemas programme, but not sure of current owners and operators) may suddenly take notice of the positive reaction of using curtains during the season of “Interstellar”, and return to consistent use of curtains that bring back (in a small way) a sense of “showmanship”? Here in Melbourne, I always try to support the cinemas that still retain (and use) the screen tabs. Nothing nicer than entering the auditorium and not being confronted by a blank white sheet, and more and more, no masking as well. Admittedly, I’m usually the last to leave after sitting through endless end credits, but always feel the closing of the curtains brings the experience of “going to a movie” to a satisfactory close.

Vito
Vito on November 11, 2014 at 7:22 am

Bill you understand the reason the cues appear oval on 35mm anamorphic prints and round on 70mm is that they are not photographed in and both 35mm and 70mm have round cues cut or punched into the original or negative so when the cues on 35mm are projected thru an anamorphic lens they appear oval where as the 70mm cues are round since 70mm is not anamorphic. You might notice that all in black and white movies the cues are always black that’s because when a cue is punched into the negative it will appear black in the print and with color prints the bath in development process makes the color of the cue; with Technicolor the cues will almost appear red were as Eastman color they turn up purple or green. I should mention that at one time The cues were added by the negative cutter along with the leaders I assume the same is true today but not sure of that. In addition projection rooms all have cue markers which allow for cues to be added to the print; sometimes a projectionist will go over the cues on the print with a scriber to make them easier to see especially on dark scenes something that has always been frowned upon by most decent projectionists those added cues to the print were also used to mark when to close the curtains and were usually at the bottom right corner as opposed to the changeover cues which are of course at the top of the frame. For a long time changeover cues ruled my professional life being very careful not to blink to long and miss one which was something you just could not do. Heaven forbid!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 11, 2014 at 5:26 am

JodarMovieFan, I’ve not seen that 70mm short/trailer. It might be neat to see it at classic 70mm film festivals such as at the AFI Silver.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on November 11, 2014 at 4:50 am

I’ve seen that too, long ago. There was nothing like that at the Ziegfeld, but the film print did have the circular 70mm reel change markings, as opposed to 35mm anamorphic widescreen markings which are oval. It was good to see the circles again after a very long time.