Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 51 - 75 of 4,057 comments

thebrat
thebrat on November 7, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Someone on Yelp gave a poor review on Zig’s 70mm presentation of Interstellar. The sound was intermittently cut off. I am anxious because I am in NY and I will be going tonight for the 6:45pm show. Crossing my fingers.

markp
markp on November 7, 2014 at 5:02 am

bigjoe59, yes I know the Zeig doesnt get those exclusive runs anymore, but they do have the movie 3 days earlier than everyone else, and its being shown on film. We all sit here and read everyday the love of film folks like myself and you have, and I just figured it would have been a bigger draw. I walked by yesterday on my way to the RCMH christmas show to check on showtimes for next week. Im hoping to go monday. Even my wife said to me why not just see it in here in Jersey where we go. And I said because I want to see it on film.

rasLXR
rasLXR on November 6, 2014 at 4:18 pm

http://vimeo.com/68830569 Explains aspect ratio’s if you are interested.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on November 6, 2014 at 3:03 pm

My friend was going to see Interstellar in some multiplex on Staten Island, where he lives. I said he should go to the Ziegfeld, and he took my advice. He’ll be there for the first time tomorrow night.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on November 6, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Hello Again-

did I understand correctly that the curtains were
used for the 1st time in God knows how long?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on November 6, 2014 at 2:28 pm

to MarkP.–

the reason the Ziegfeld is never “packed” to use your term no matter how good the film might be is quite simple- whatever big film opens here also opens at countless other theaters in Manhattan. and people naturally go to theaters closest to them.

joemasher
joemasher on November 5, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Yes, I’ve instructed our team to close then open both the grand drape and title curtain between the trailers and feature! Enjoy!

markp
markp on November 5, 2014 at 5:54 pm

What is wrong with people?? I cant wait to get to this theatre (hopefully next week) to see this movie, on FILM, 70MM FILM. I was hoping to here this place was packed.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on November 5, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Saw Interstellar at the first Tues showing, while the vast majority of seats were empty (may have been as little as 200 people there) it still had to be the most people I’d seen there since Burton’s Alice in Wonderland.

I’m always a bit nervous when theaters are first trying out equipment or using something they haven’t in a long time, but the experience went off well and much of the film looked great in 70mm, and for those asking they did close the curtains and re-opened them during the trailers (I know some were asking about that move and it drew applause).

JSA
JSA on October 22, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Ultra-Panavision and some of the early single-lens Cinerama films had an aspect ratio of up to 2.76:1. But I think many were screened closer to a 2.55:1 AR, on account of the screen width.

JSA

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on October 22, 2014 at 5:21 am

Good point Howard. The aspect ratio for 70mm at the Ziegfeld and the Boyd were actually not as wide as a scope 2.35 ratio.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on October 21, 2014 at 8:13 pm

As to aspect ratio, The Master was 1.85 “flat” but 70mm was commonly 2.20 not 2.35 (scope)though a few early 70mm films half a century ago were even wider.

JSA
JSA on October 21, 2014 at 4:56 pm

According to the in70mm site, the aspect ratio of the 5-perf 70 mm prints is 2.20:1.

JSA

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on October 21, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Is this going to be a true 2.35 aspect ratio 70mm showing or 1.85 which The master was. to me 1.85 aspect ratio is not true 70mm

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 21, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Hello-

like Bill H. I hope the film is as good as all the hype its getting. also I know I will get into whatever showing I want. the film will be playing at several other theaters in Manhattan and for some reason people consider this theater “off the beaten path”.

markp
markp on October 21, 2014 at 5:45 am

To answer your question thebrat, todays projectionists arent projectionists. All these chains got rid of us professionals years ago. I managed to hang on for a total of 37 years by working my last 10 for an independant after the union got thrown out by clearview. And joemasher, will 70mm be at the Zieg for the entire run?? Im planning on going in the 2nd week, as I cannot make it the first 9 days its there.

joemasher
joemasher on October 20, 2014 at 3:16 pm

All shows are 70mm. I will repair the website. Sorry for the confusion! Be assured though, 70mm.

mhvbear
mhvbear on October 20, 2014 at 1:51 pm

I would check with the theater that there hasn’t been a mistake with their website.

thebrat
thebrat on October 20, 2014 at 12:45 pm

CRAP! It looks like the Nov 8 6:45 pm showing is DIGITAL. I bought tickets for that show, and it looks like I have to trade the tickets for a 70mm showing or sell them. No way I’m going 250+ miles to see a crappy digital show on a 2K NEC projector, when I can see 35mm right in Fairfax.

But why is 35mm good when so-called “projectionists” these days scratch up the entire film?

15/70 would be nice if I didnt have to see black on most of the screen most of the time or hear it through Udvar-Hazy’s muddy sound system.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 8, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I like film…it’s better than digital…digital makes the movie look like a blu ray movie and an HDTV show.

markp
markp on October 8, 2014 at 12:27 pm

I plan on going there to see it in 70MM. It will be a pleasure to watch a movie on FILM instead of digital.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on October 8, 2014 at 10:45 am

moviebuff82: you should make the trip in for “Interstellar” in 70mm. It’ll be like going back to the Ziegfeld’s glory days. Hope the movie is as good as I want it to be!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 7, 2014 at 2:58 pm

This coming December marks 45 years since this theater opened, quite a long run for this world famous theater. Some day I’ll go see a flick here…..

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on October 7, 2014 at 2:05 pm

THIS is the Ziegfeld page, where masking is used. For complaints on lack of masking in newer or redone theaters, please post on those pages.

BobbyS
BobbyS on October 7, 2014 at 10:54 am

It is sad to see some of the top chains not even bothering with masking anymore. Curtains are a thing of the past (too bad), but not even a top & bottom black mask when showing a wide screen movie. A letter-box showing should be unacceptable in a movie theatre where we can do that at home. Shame on Regal and others.