Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 51 - 75 of 4,418 comments

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 13, 2016 at 10:55 am

Howard: that was in response to bigjoe59 asking for the TV listings for a certain day in 1950. Nothing to do with the Ziegfeld, but I didn’t know how else to post the image so he could see it.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 13, 2016 at 10:12 am

Bill, on Feb 8 you added a “Leading Events Today” item to the photo gallery but I don’t see Ziegfeld relevance. Was something cut off the item or what don’t I understand?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 13, 2016 at 9:43 am

I’d like to add 1974’s “That’s Entertainment” to the list. Somehow that movie was a perfect fit for the Ziegfeld. A year later, “Tommy” gave the Ziegfeld’s sound system a spectacular workout the likes of which it would never have again.

I took Mike’s advice and watched “Marooned” on TCM yesterday, making believe I was seeing it in the Ziegfeld.

NYer
NYer on February 12, 2016 at 5:47 pm

The thing about the “exclusive” Ziegfeld engagement is that it was truly exclusive. Pictures like “Ryan’s Daughter”, “Cabaret”, “Close Encounters”, and “Apocalypse Now” played here only for weeks sometimes months in the entire tri-state area. “Tommy” played here exclusively twice, the second time in 70MM for months before opening wide. Can you imagine a “Close Encounters” type movie opening today in one theater for two months before it opened in Queens, on Long Island, New Jersey or Connecticut?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 12, 2016 at 4:42 pm

maybe Dreamgirls in 2007 but don’t tell me a short period of time doesn’t count. http://www.playbill.com/news/article/listen-dreamgirls-begins-roadshow-engagement-at-nycs-ziegfeld-dec.-15-137050

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on February 12, 2016 at 4:01 pm

to Howard B. –

you are quite knowledgeable so I have a question
that I can’t remember the answer to. what was the
last “big” studio film to have an exclusive
Manhattan engagement at the Ziegfeld?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 12, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Also, Gandhi (1981) was shown for 31 weeks, another famous film showcased prominently here!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 12, 2016 at 1:36 pm

That’s a subjctive determintion, but I was the one who added the movies in the 2nd to last paragraph of the Intro so I will say that Ryan’s Daughter, Cabaret, Close Encounters, and Apocalpyse Now (the original run)were among the most famous new movies that were showcased for a long period of time at the Ziegfeld. Also if by expanded version of Apocalpyse Now, you mean Redux, that was issued only in 35mm & in NYC, at the Astor Plaza.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on February 12, 2016 at 1:15 pm

What movie was the most famous out of all the movies to play at this theater? I say to me I think of the Star Wars movies that started with the Special Editions and continued through the prequels and then Episode VII. Sadly its sister theater in Chelsea will show Episode VIII and IX for the foreseeable future. I sadly didn’t get to go to this theater like my dad did back when movies that came out started out at this theater. He actually enjoyed watching Apocalypse Now in split surround 70mm dolby stereo on a decent size screen. I got to experience it the same way on DVD in both the original cut that was shown at this theater and the expanded version in the 70mm ratio. The bluray release of AN shows the movie in HD in its correct 35mm ratio.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on February 12, 2016 at 11:57 am

The first movie to play here – Marooned – is on TCM this afternoon at 5:45pm (eastern). Watch it on your laptop or iwatch and weep for what we’ve lost…

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 10, 2016 at 3:33 pm

Would like screenings at the Hollywood, now church http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/312

RobertR
RobertR on February 10, 2016 at 3:15 pm

I wonder now where premieres and screenings will be held? Other than HUGE spaces like Radio City or the Beacon there are no 1000-1500 seat auditoriums. The Broadway legit houses should make some money during their dark periods and make their theaters available. After all Gigi played roadshow at the Royale

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on February 10, 2016 at 2:44 pm

OMG, I just posted the saddest pic in the photo section

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 10, 2016 at 12:02 pm

Interesting article. ast customers would’ve have purchased & cherished the end chairs with Z on them! It also looks like from that article that the neat sconces remain in the auditorium. It would be a shame if they too are trashed. Others took better photos of the chairs, but I’ve got photos of the sconces in my gallery here https://www.flickr.com/photos/howardbhaas/albums/72157634640390968

theatrefan
theatrefan on February 10, 2016 at 11:36 am

Link to article in the NY Daily News about the seats being ripped out and thrown into the garbage: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/manhattan/ziegfeld-theater-seats-thrown-closure-article-1.2526011

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on February 9, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Hello-

to Al A.– I don’t subscribe to the N Y Times so does registering for their website cost $$$? I try not to let my friend stump me but I don’t see spending $$$ to get the answer.

to Bill H.– seeing Ryan’s Daughter at the Ziegfeld was a true movie going experience. most especially during the storm sequence when the villagers are trying to bring the guns ashore.

also seeing The Rose and Close Encounters of the Third Kind in 70mm at this theater was perfect.

I also saw a special screening of Gandhi in 70mm which the late Richard Attenborough attended. I spoke to him after and said he’d better get his Oscar speech for Best Director ready. he thanked me graciously for my thought but said he didn’t want to get his hopes up.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 8, 2016 at 5:56 pm

Joe, I envy you seeing Ryan’s Daughter at the Ziegfeld. Of all the great movies that played there, that’s the biggest one that got away from me. I finally got to see it in 70mm at the Walter Reade Theater in 2012, but there’s only one Ziegfeld.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 8, 2016 at 5:42 pm

bigjoe59:

I posted the NYC TV listings for that date in 1950 in the Photos section of the Ziegfeld page, but I couldn’t find the name of the movie.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on February 8, 2016 at 4:56 pm

I wonder how many movies the Ziegfeld has shown from its opening until its closing…excluding rereleases.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on February 8, 2016 at 4:14 pm

to Al A.–

thanks for the info. I saw Ryan’s Daughter twice possibly three times during its run at this theater. I’m surprised they never sold a souvenir program.

you have helped me in the past with questions I have posted so I hope you can do so again. I have a friend who e-mails questions to se how good my Internet searching skills are but I am stumped on this one. he asked me what movie was shown on all NYC t.v. stations on January 22, 1950. do you have any idea where I can find this info? thanks in advance.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on February 7, 2016 at 8:59 am

Seeing that closed logo and hearing how quickly they started taking the theater apart still hurts. But thanks to everyone for the photos, and film listings.

While I saw a couple films there during the 2008 NYFF that I don’t recall for sure, with those lists I believe I was able to remember all the normal theatrical releases I saw there (from Independence Day to Spectre)

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on February 4, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Hello-

the theater opened Dec. 1969 with Marooned which I believe was its only traditional reserved seat attraction. now the theater was used for many years by the studios for exclusive runs of their big films. this is where my question comes in. if I am not mistaken Ryan’s Daughter opened on a reserved performance engagement. did it have 2 shows during the week and 3 shows on Sat. and Sun.?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 4, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Link to the news story that I posted. Don’t neglect to check out the links on the right including the interesting “early years” link http://www.in70mm.com/news/2016/ziegfeld/index.htm

BobbyS
BobbyS on February 4, 2016 at 12:04 am

Beautifully said NYer…

NYer
NYer on February 3, 2016 at 3:44 pm

C'mon how lucky were we? We got to crush the velvet at the Ziegfeld!

So thanks are not only in order, but well deserved. Thanks to the staff and managers. From the box office cashiers, the concession teams, the maintenance crews that kept the place gleaming & the chandeliers sparking.

Thanks to the pros in the booth, that kept that magical flickering light sharp and the sounds booming, to the ushers that would that would wish us a “Good night and come again!” as we entered the real world again.

Thanks to the audiences who stood in line down W54th Street rain or shine, making the experience an event. For respecting where we were and not in their living rooms.

And thank you for this place and the fans that make sure our Cinema Treasure memories live on. “The Ziegfeld”, never The Ziegfeld THEATRE, we were all on intimate terms after all, you were first class from day one until the final closed curtain. Thank you.