Cineworld Haymarket

63-65 Haymarket,
London, SW1Y 4RQ

Unfavorite 11 people favorited this theater

Showing 51 - 54 of 54 comments

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on June 26, 2004 at 1:33 pm

The Carlton (as it it still fondly remembered) was designed by architects Frank T. Verity and Samuel Beverley. It was a project of Carlton Theatre Co, a company set up by Paramount Pictures Ltd who owned the nearby Plaza, Regent St. The Carlton opened as a live theatre, but went over to full time film use in May 1929. The original seating capacity was 1,159. After many years being operated by Paramount Pictures it was taken over by Twentieth Century Fox in March 1954 and they installed CinemaScope. In 1960 the stage was brought back into use for the last time when Anthony Newley starred in a special stage show prior to the screenings of his starring movie “Let’s Get Married”.

woody on February 18, 2004 at 9:25 am

the lobby and screen 1 retain much of the very rich italian renaissance plasterwork although they are painted in very gaudy shades of pink and purple, the interior is very close in design to that of the nearby Plaza which has recently been gutted again this time to become a supermarket!
UGC are rumoured to want to expand the ground floor of the Haymarket from 2 screens to seven and make it a dedicated arts film venue, it does need some money spending on it, the exterior is very grimey and the signage is rusting and faded (not what one would expect from a top price west end hall)

Richardboaste on July 16, 2002 at 4:30 am

The Carlton is actually owned and operated by UGC cinemas, having been acquired in the take over of the Virgin circuit, who took over the old MGM Cannon Circuit, It has never been operated by Odeon, They did have an theatre just up the road from the Carlton, Which closed about two years ago.