Fox Theatre

6508 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on April 7, 2009 at 2:40 pm

As this was a successful movie theatre from its 1918 opening, I think it likely that the Hollywood Lutherian Church could have used the original Idyl Hour/Iris Theatre on the other side of the Boulevard, which could have been sitting empty since closing in 1918, until its demolition in around 1927 when the Warner Theatre was built.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on February 25, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Joe: I have added the Idyl Hour Theatre and first Iris Theatre, and they now have their own seperate pages.

Pine
Pine on February 25, 2009 at 11:15 am

Thanks for all the info!!! I started working here summer of 1969. I didn’t know that it was renamed Fox, Dec 20, 1968. I recall National General, cause I received my paycheck from them.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on February 23, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Nobody has yet created Cinema Treasures pages for the Fox Theatre’s two predecessors (mentioned in Ken Roe’s comment of January 2, 2005, above), the 1911 Idyl Hour Theatre at 6265 Hollywood Boulevard, and the 1913 Iris Theatre at 6415 Hollywood Boulevard. Does somebody want to do that, or should I post them? Ken?

Incidentally, the 1915 Los Angeles City Directory lists the Iris Theatre at 6417 Hollywood Boulevard. I believe that lot was absorbed into the parcel on which the Warner Bros. Hollywood Theatre was built. Unless there was some shifting of addresses over the years, the original Iris might have been demolished then.

Also, though the Idyl Hour Theatre appears to have been the first movie house built on Hollywood Boulevard, it might not have been the first in the Hollywood district. The building in which the Ivy Theatre was operating in 1915, and which is now the location of the Chaplin Stage of the El Centro Theatre, was erected in 1910. So far I don’t know if this building was built as a theater, or if it was converted into a theater within a few years of its construction, but if it was built as a theater then the Idyl Hour was not Hollywood’s first movie house.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on January 24, 2009 at 11:43 am

Here is another LA Times excerpt dated 11/24/68:

National General Corp. has closed the Iris Theater om Hollywood for a $250,000 renovation project. The theater will be renamed the Fox and will reopen on December 20 with an exclusive run of “The Killing of Sister George”. The remodeling is part of an expansion program launched by Eugene V. Klein, president of the Los Angeles-based company.

The 650-seat house will be given a deluxe appearance, including a new facade, expanded lobby, marble walls, carpeting and comfortable bodiform chairs.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 22, 2008 at 7:37 pm

Here is part of an LA Times article dated 2/11/55:

Fox West Coast Theaters yesterday announced the gala opening of its newly remodeled Iris Theater in Hollywood for next Tuesday night after refurbishing at a cost of $100,000.

The first-run show house will feature a wide “miracle mirror” screen adapted for conventional, Cinemascope, 3D or VistaVision films, Edwin F. Zabel, Fox West Coast manager reported.

Additions under the redecoration program include a new facade on the front of the building, marquee, seats, carpeting, lighting system, box office and poster display cases finished in stainless steel. William F. Katzky, Jr., 35, with 16 years experience in show business has been named manager of the theater.

socal09
socal09 on November 21, 2008 at 12:41 pm

Signage has just gone up on the boards indicating the opening of the nightclub/event venue Playhouse. The interior renderings look good (click on link, then click on Playhouse) Another space for the young and wealthy to party the nights away. None of the original theatre remains except for the facade and marquee. The facade has still not been renovated. Hopefully they will keep the kooky design intact and leave the marquee.

[url]http://muselifestylegroup.com/[/url]

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 12, 2008 at 12:40 am

Here is a 1953 photo from the USC archive:

Twistr54
Twistr54 on October 6, 2008 at 11:27 am

So sad, the graffiti must go. Has any work happened to this theatre yet?

MICHAELM6
MICHAELM6 on June 5, 2008 at 4:48 pm

Work has finally started on the theater. I went by today and noticed the rear doors were open. Other than some faded and chipped panels on the walls, the auditorium has been cleared out. They were in the process of knocking out the projection booth. I have to admit I felt a twinge of sadness seeing it like this.

By the way. The much discussed 1955 remodel didn’t happen until 1959. That’s when the theater lost most of its character, the Iris name and the great old marquee. It reopened in August of 1960 with “The Time Machine”.

Twistr54
Twistr54 on May 31, 2008 at 6:38 pm

I think it was the Rodney King riots.

Pine
Pine on May 31, 2008 at 11:48 am

Re: 1992
What happened in 92? I see smoke and the fire dept. The people look different too, than when I was there in the 60’s. I remember well dressed office and retail store types.

meheuck
meheuck on April 2, 2008 at 1:18 am

The plans have changed. The property will not be a Crobar-branded venue like the ones in Chicago and Miami, but will still be a multi-purpose live performance venue. This article provides links to other related ones.

It’s expected to open in the fall.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 1, 2008 at 9:16 pm

I guess if you pulled down the fake facade, as seen in the last photo, you would get a look at the original front. Maybe in the future.

Roloff
Roloff on September 10, 2007 at 2:03 pm

Thanks guys. Feel free to comment on them in Flickr as well (you need to subscrobe though).

chelleck
chelleck on September 10, 2007 at 9:30 am

Roloff, you do have great photos. Thank you very much. I hate to see the old “Fox” structure go down.

Roloff
Roloff on August 1, 2007 at 3:08 pm

for a postcard of the Iris and Warner, and a better look at my picture that’s featured at the top of this page here:

vcarville
vcarville on July 6, 2007 at 12:47 am

It wasn’t anything special, mom dropped me off here to watch The Little Mermaid, I think she left me because she said the movie was making her sick, also saw Troop Beverly Hills here…nothing to write home about, really a dump in the late 80s. Nothing lost if it’s torn down, it was a cracker box even at the time…

William
William on June 25, 2007 at 7:48 am

Mann Theatres was the last theatre chain to run the theatre. United Artists Theatres operated the Egyptian Theatre and those awful twins in the rear area of the property. Mann was the last lease holder to the theatre and they were the one that closed it and decided not to run it as a theatre.

chelleck
chelleck on June 24, 2007 at 11:13 am

My Little History at the Fox Theater

EMPLOYED

I worked the Fox Theater on second shift at 6508 Hollywood Blvd. from the summer of 1986, at the opening of ‘The Golden Child’ through Spring of 1987. The first half of my employ, it was known as the “Mann’s Fox Theater” and was later bought out by United Artist. At the end of my time, there were two rumors concerning this building:

1. That there were plans of another buy out by Goldwyn-Meyer (that turn over had not occurred by the time I left.)
  2. The building repairs were too expense and it would probably be torn down.

DESCRIPTION

Pine’s November 1, 2006 at 2:46 am post;

I can describe the inside of this theater having worked there. The girl’s dressing room was a large walk in closet – no windows. It was at the top of the stairs on the west side.Our uniforms were kept there. The men’s and women’s bathrooms were upstairs on the north side. The projection room and manager’s office were on the south side. They also had no windows. The theater was small and cozy. Downsairs behind the cashier was the storage room filed with candy, popcorn etc. The doorman’s dresing room I never saw, but I think it was behind the stage? The theater was very comfortable, not too small, not too big and very clean. From the candy counter we had a good view of the street and I enjoyed people watching.
posted by Pine </users/16188> on Nov 1, 2006 at 2:46am

is an accurate description of what I recall. The only things I can add are:

The steel door on the inside of the ticket booth showed a deep indention from a bullet, put there during a robbery. I hard the booth attendant was hurt pretty badly, then tried to return to work and fear of a reoccurrence eventually cause her to quit. The combination locked safe was in the floor of the ticket booth.

Upstairs at first glance appeared to be a semi-circled hallway that stretched across the entire upper level with stairs at both ends. The bathroom and manager’s doors that Pine mentioned were on the outside wall and the projection booth on the inside wall. And “when it rained, it poured!” during the rainy season it leaked throughout the building.

Scanning the pictures on this site, the front of the building has had many face-lifts. When I was there the rear of it, in the little alley, did not look like the same building. It looked as if it was supposed to be white when it was constructed. Although it did not have graffiti, it had varying layers of rust and discolorations. I, like many of you, loved the marquee.

THE CREW

The manager was James Foreman, who I heard was transferred to a theater in Beverly Hills.

The assistant manager was Duane, (no after theater information on him.)

Our doorman was the faithful, Slim. When I got there it was jokingly said ‘Slim has been with the theater since it opened. Pine’s September 11, 2006 4:50 – 4:56 am posts,

I worked at this theater during the summer of 1969 and a few other times after that. I was 18 and 19 years old and made $1.65 an hour. Mr. Duff was the manager. He was an alcoholic and sometimes on the make with the girls. I worked as a loan out at other theaters and other managers were like that too. It was a bad scene, overall. My best friend from high school helped me get the job. She and another friend bought drugs from a red haired guy who would come by everyday carrying a paper sack. I ended my friednship with her and went to beauty school down the street. Sometimes I’d worked nights at Fox and go to school during the day. I took the city bus home at midnight. I lived on Van Ness below Franklin Avenue. It was scary.

Continued from my previous post. Cher and a friend came in one day for a matinee and ordered cokes and popcorn with extra butter. They were very nice. An older man named Slim worked as one of the doormen. Everyday he would order a Dr. Pepper with a candy bar. I felt sorry for him. I remember when when the film Easy Rider premiered there and the lines were around the block.
posted by Pine </users/16188> on Sep 11, 2006 at 4:57am

confirmed his long time dedication. A couple of months before I left, Slim fell ill and did not return to work.
(no after theater information on him.)

One of our ushers; Larry, doubled as doorman.
(no after theater information on him.)

Our other usher, Honor, doubled as ticket taker when Larry was not in.
(no after theater information on her.)

The two cousins (Maria and Elizabeth) I heard took more hours in the retail jobs.

I have no information on who ran the projection booth during my stay.

FAMOUS PEOPLE

The famous people that graced our audience was:

THE LA RAIDERS

RAE DAWN CHONG – came in with one of her friend’s toddler daughter.

ART EVANS – came in a few times.

PATRONAGE

The was not a steady flow of patriots, at times the show began as scheduled with one to a few viewers present.