6508 Hollywood Boulevard,
20 people favorited this theater
Opened in 1918, as the second theatre on Hollywood Boulevard to be name Iris Theatre. It was built by P. Tabor who employed architect Frank Meline, to design a Romanesque style theatre, with a brick facade.
Taken over by Fox West Coast Theatres, the Iris Theatre was re-designed by architect S. Charles Lee in July 1934 and was given an Art Deco style. That survived until 1968, when a new facade was erected and the name was changed to Fox Theatre on December 20, 1968.
The Fox Theatre was operated by Fox West Coast Theatres, National General Theatres and lastly by Mann’s Theatres. The Fox Theatre was closed in 1994, due to earthquake damage. The building remained closed to the public for over a decade, although for a while it was used by Mann’s Theatres for storage.
In 2009, millions of dollars were spent by new owners, to convert the building as a ‘lounge/club’ named the Playhouse. It re-opened in Summer 2009.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater