Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood

6360 Sunset Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 51 - 75 of 1,304 comments

silver
silver on September 21, 2017 at 6:26 pm

Hi RussM, Just curious: in your comment you commented that the 3-strip setup in Seattle was more original than the Arclight Dome. Could you elaborate on that, please? How so?

Also, I didn’t realize 3-strip showings were likely at an end in Hollywood. If so, very sad.

One of my fondest memories was several years ago at a very sparsely attended afternoon 3-strip Arclight Dome screening (just 2 or 3 dozen people). The man in charge invited any interested folks after the film to go up to the project booth to visit it and see the equipment and film and get a mini-tour! Sigh…

RussM
RussM on September 21, 2017 at 4:28 pm

I was a huge Cinerama fan from the days of my youth. I saw all the 3-strip films when they were originally released, starting with “This Is Cinerama” at the Broadway Theater in NYC in 1952. I attended the Cinerama Fest at the Dome in 2012. I thought it was fantastic. Dave Strohmaier did a fabulous job of restoring the films, but for me, the experience of Cinerama was about the process, not the content. John Sittig’s retirement probably put an end to 3-strip showings at the Dome, but I hold out hope that the Seattle Cinerama might do it again. I think that their set up is more like the original than the Dome’s.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 14, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Hello From NYC-

I was wondering has anyone seen DUNKIRK at the Dome then saw it at another theater? could you please describe the difference.

RogerA
RogerA on August 30, 2017 at 12:07 pm

Just let me know if they ever run 3 strip Cinerama again.

Flix70
Flix70 on August 30, 2017 at 9:23 am

Steven Spielberg’s 1977 classic “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” returns to the Dome for a week-long 40th-anniversary run starting Friday, Sept. 1. Four shows daily starting at 1PM. Presentation is 4K DCP.

I caught “Close Encounters” at the Dome back in 1998 when it was part of a classics festival (something the Dome hosted quite regularly back then) and it was incredible. Believe me, you haven’t experienced this film until you’ve seen it at the Dome. Pure cinematic bliss.

RogerA
RogerA on July 28, 2017 at 4:51 pm

It is still there

RussM
RussM on July 28, 2017 at 12:42 pm

Does the Dome still have the equipment to show 3-strip Cinerama, or did they remove that ?

RogerA
RogerA on July 24, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Yes they used the full screen

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on July 24, 2017 at 11:47 am

Did they at least use the full screen, like was there any notable difference from this showing vs. their laser image? When I saw Interstellar there, they did not lift up the masking on the bottom corners as they do now, it was the last time I noticed that at the DOME.

The Universal IMAX presentation was awesome on Saturday.

RogerA
RogerA on July 24, 2017 at 8:54 am

Richie I was at the same show on Sunday and yes there was a small hair in the gate that showed up on the bottom center. It was joined by another hair as the movie progressed. It wasn’t worth complaining about and I wonder if the projectionist could even deal with it. There should be a bottle of CO2 next to the projector to blow the gate. That is one of the problems with film dirt.

There weren’t suppose to be trailers. When I got the tickets they made it a point to say there were no trailers. Im glad there were only two. The studio must have scrambled to get 70mm trailers printed and sent out to the theaters. That show might have the first one to run those trailers. I can dispute the out of frame claim. The projectionist adjusted the framing a little for I am thinking the first trailer. I noticed when he adjusted but it was a letterboxed trailer so there was a black matt top and bottom. He should have just left it centered.

And yes the deep curve of the screen causes some distortion but it didn’t look that noticeable. I wonder if it was an optically corrected print.

There are a lot of 70mm prints out there go see it again in IMAX film at Universal. They can get dirt in the gate too.

Richie_T
Richie_T on July 24, 2017 at 6:38 am

Saw Dunkirk 70mm inside the dome on Sunday July 23rd at 2:30pm. There were two major issues with the presentation. The framing was off during the trailers, ok, no big deal. There were hairs or fabric or something blowing on the lense that were so distracting on the bottom of the screen. Also, is it me or does the curved screen slightly distort the image? Hate to be negative but I really wish I had went to Universal and seen the 70mm IMAX presentation.

RogerA
RogerA on July 9, 2017 at 2:25 pm

Does anyone know if there is gonna be film IMAX copies. I know Universal and the Chinese are digital but both still have the film projectors. I don’t care I’m just gonna see the 70 five perf at the Dome.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on July 8, 2017 at 6:41 am

also Imax digital will show it in 1.9 for the imax scenes and 2.20 for the non imax shots. digital will be 2.20 with proper masking for the entire movie.

RogerA
RogerA on July 7, 2017 at 10:51 pm

Well the IMAX negative has lots of area so a reduction print should look good. The 70mm print will have to be cropped from IMAX negative.

silver
silver on July 7, 2017 at 7:31 pm

re Dunkirk in the Dome: will the 70mm version actually be using the full screen?

Nolan shot 75% of Dunkirk using IMAX (including handheld cameras for the 1st time). So if IMAX film (1.43) is his preferred aspect ratio here, I wonder what the 70mm formats aspect ratios will be and how much of the picture will Nolan crop?

Per Wikipedia there are 3 release formats: IMAX, 70mm & 35mm.

RogerA
RogerA on July 7, 2017 at 3:51 pm

If it does well it may be there longer

RogerA
RogerA on July 7, 2017 at 3:42 pm

You better hurry and get you tickets it will only be at the Dome for four days.

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on July 7, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Well, I never thought we would have this chance again. Dunkirk is playing in the DOME in 70mm! The last time that happened i think it was for Interstellar.

Of course, I just got my tickets to see it at Universal IMAX . Guess I will be seeing this one twice….70mm in the DOME, using the full 86' screen would be awesome!

RogerA
RogerA on June 15, 2017 at 11:23 pm

I went to see it (70mm Wonder Woman) in theater six got a great seat its like a screening room. It would be nice they ran it in the Dome for a couple of shows. I am okay with 70mm in the smaller theater I just sit closer to the screen

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on June 12, 2017 at 12:53 pm

grumpy old man rant Arclight is driving me nuts. It is great to see new releases in 70 mm this year. However, I just got over them not presenting those 70mm films in the DOME, but instead the huge auditorium #3 instead. I was ok with that when I saw BVS.

I went to see Wonder Woman in 70mm last weekend, (opening weekend), and the 70mm shows are now in auditorium 6! I mean, I understand not using the DOME since they have a crappy laser projector in there now. However, to move the 70 mm machines into the medium size houses is the last straw. The showing was sold out. Why do they not care about film?

On another note about how Arclight has gone to crap, They still have not fixed the DOME image, adjusting for the curve by messing with the masking at the bottom corners of the screen. Whenever you see a movie there it looks like the screen is smiling at you, not to mention they are only using 65 feet of the 86 feet screen. What a mess.

Coate
Coate on June 11, 2017 at 3:16 pm

Steven Spielberg’s “E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial,” the movie industry’s box office champ for over a decade, opened 35 years ago today. In Los Angeles, it opened here at the Cinerama Dome where it played for five weeks as an L.A. County exclusive before expanding city- and county-wide. (It opened in Orange County day and date with the Dome, but all Dome first-run bookings at the time were L.A. exclusives.) And since the Dome played one of the coveted 70m prints made for the release, passing on the link to this “E.T.” tech history article seems appropriate.

StanMalone
StanMalone on January 10, 2017 at 10:02 am

Theater owners who were used to getting three, four, five, and even as much as six thousand hours from a xenon bulb in the film days are having a hard time facing the fact that with at least some of the digital projectors, the light starts to degrade after only a thousand hours and needs to be replaced at the two thousand hour mark.

I am speaking from a very narrow experience with digital projectors but they also require more than the once or twice a year visit from a booth tech to maintain good picture quality.

I guess that after decades of trying to get rid of us pesky projectionists, some owners are having trouble facing the fact that now that it has happened they still have to pay at least some money to make the booth run right.

stevenj
stevenj on January 10, 2017 at 9:29 am

I emailed the manager of my local neighborhood surviving movie palace (in another Calif. city up north) last month asking what was up with the dismal presentation of the 4K “restoration” of The Thin Red Line (last summer) and then 2 other films I’d seen recently in late fall. In all cases I asked why the projectors were not projecting bright and sharp. His answer – “We are not responsible for the digital files sent to us”. Oh.

I had seen Star Wars in 3D digital in early Jan 2016 at a different (large screen) theater. Their presentation (sound and picture quality) of it was extraordinary – they used a Sony 4K dual projection system.

Either customers are going to have to start complaining or will just stop going – or – dim projection is going to be the new normal.

RogerA
RogerA on January 9, 2017 at 5:22 pm

I just went to see La La Land in cinema 10 at the Arclight. After one hour I couldn’t stand it any more and left. It might have been enjoyable if the quality of the picture wasn’t so poor. Poor is an understatement it was unwatchable. The big joke at the beginning was the CinemaScope logo! A CinemaScope picture was bright and sharp. Not dim and fuzzy. Digital just looks like $hit. I know you people don’t get it. Maybe your vision isn’t what it used to be. Maybe you just don’t remember. The fact is when you blow up a low quality video it looks bad unless you are sitting in the back row of the theater. And at this point I don’t care if it is 2k 4k or 8k. 24FPS 48FPS 60FPS 120FPS (anything over 60 is a waste by the way). It doesn’t seem to matter. Digital looks great on my small screen. Looks great on a large screen TV. But when digital it is projected on a large screen it just looks bad. The bigger the screen the worse it looks. I walked out of Star Wars at an AMC because the presentation was horrid. Management apologized and refunded my money. So Chris “the days of film are over” well if that is true then most of the theaters will soon follow. The real sin is they had two film projectors in Cinema 10 and supposedly this was shot on film. But of course they probably went to digital to do the edit so there goes all the goodness of film.