Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas

Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 51 - 75 of 1,120 comments

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 25, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Hello-

it seems MGM was better at keeping their complete roadshow prints in first rate condition than other companies. my point being if the showing of IAMMMMW is the general release print which is like 40mins.? shorter than the original roadshow cut why bother?

RogerA
RogerA on October 25, 2013 at 9:36 pm

the 6 channel mix sounded better 5 behind the screen and one surround channel with no sub. That is how is was released

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 25, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Probably the 4K version of the general release that is the basis of the forthcoming Criterion Blu-Ray release, I suspect. The Blu-Ray, will evidently include a hi-def digital transfer of an even longer approximation of the roadshow cut, in a 197-minute version, assembled by Robert A Harris (natch). It is said to include scenes that have been returned to the film for the first time since its original release. I wonder if this includes an audio-and-stills-only recreation of the lost phone call between Spencer Tracy and Buster Keaton. The material for the release also says that both versions of the film will feature 5.1 surround audio.

I’ll be 3000 miles away in NYC, so, whichever version is screened at the Dome, I’ll have to settle for Criterion release in January.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 25, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Hello-

what version of IAMMMMW is being shown? the general release print or the closest approximation to the original roadshow cut?

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on October 25, 2013 at 8:37 pm

After reading dozens of comments about bookings at the Chinese, Dome and El Capitan there has been nothing about the special anniversary screenings at the Dome on Sunday October 27. At 12:40pm will be “How the West Was Won” in 3-strip Cinerama and at 5pm “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World” in digital. Still plenty of good seats for “HTWWW” but “Mad World” is filling fast. I didn’t know about it until I received an email from Arclight. I have a good seat for “West”.

Cliffs
Cliffs on October 11, 2013 at 8:35 am

Ironically (as the Dome has historically been my favorite theater), if the same film was being shown at the El Cap, the Chinese, and the Dome and I was being forced to watch it in 3D at all 3 (like many blockbusters now are), the Dome would be my LAST choice. I’ve been hoping this increased competition would force Arclight to retreat back and cater more towards 2D customers (like the Village has done), but between Gravity and now Thor, that isn’t happening. But if it’s 3D only and between the Chinese or the Dome… The Chinese. 3D only and between the El Cap or the Dome… the El Cap.

Robert_G_Kelley
Robert_G_Kelley on October 11, 2013 at 2:25 am

Cliffs, I know earlier this summer Arclight operating management were up in arms because They wanted Iron Man 3, just like they did last year when they couldn’t get the Avengers as well.(a friend of mine who works for in the Exhibitor relations dept at Disney mentioned that to me)

Its funny Arclight was the one who was insistant on them being the only theatre showing the movies they play,(Heck the owners of the vista had to sue because Arclight was blocking them from getting films) Now that its obvious that audiences will flock to the Chinese and that they cant exert their clout to take disney films from the El Cap they are suddenly willing to share the toys in the sand box.

Hopefully means that once and forall the outdated restrictions on films playing at Arclight cant play at any other theatre in the region will go away. Gravity if anything has shown that both the Arclight and Chinese can both thrive with the same film playing on both locations.

Cliffs
Cliffs on October 10, 2013 at 3:31 am

Wow… Thor is showing at the El Capitan and the Dome now. I wonder if because of the new Chinese, Arclight Hollywood is no longer in that zone. Weird.

RogerA
RogerA on October 1, 2013 at 4:42 pm

The Chinese is an all purpose theater they can run non IMAX stuff too.

BRADE48
BRADE48 on October 1, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I hate IMAX as much as I hate 3D. Throw in dinner service and you really piss me off. The Chinese theatre is DEAD to me.

Cliffs
Cliffs on October 1, 2013 at 7:27 am

If you see Gravity 3D in the Dome instead of the superior presentation at the Chinese, then you deserve the worlds worst 3D presentaion (which is what you’ll get).

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on October 1, 2013 at 6:45 am

WHAT! THE! BLANK?!?! That’s just INSANE!

Oh well…IMAX trumps Dome all day every day for me. :)

BRADE48
BRADE48 on October 1, 2013 at 2:37 am

The Cinerama Dome and the Chinese main theatre are both getting Gravity this Friday. Looks like the Chinese can book IMAX same time a film is at the Dome. I know Terminator Salvation was at the Chinese and Arclight at the same time, but not in the Dome.

RussM
RussM on September 27, 2013 at 4:53 pm

According to the Flicker Alley website, there will be special events starting about Oct. 22 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Dome. Anyone heard anything about this ?

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on September 3, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I was just going to comment on that Chris. I noticed it when I saw Elysium and this Sunday I saw Worlds End and it was really noticeable. Not sure I am a fan of the new masking, I think it makes the screen seem a bit smaller.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on September 3, 2013 at 4:11 am

No one seems to have reported this yet, but they have finally followed the advice of the wise and raised up the bottom left/right masking on the Dome screen – significantly diminishing the effects of the ultra curved screen and preventing that goofy effect where low center titles/logo bylines/etc. get swallowed up beneath the masking. Saw and confirmed this after seeing “The World’s End” on Saturday 8/24.

RogerA
RogerA on July 19, 2013 at 8:54 pm

There are very few 70mm showings these days. The Academy ran what they called “The Last 70mm Film Festival” last year. The Cinerama theater in Seattle is slated to run a festival with some 70mm this fall, The fact is there are very few theaters in the country that can run 70mm reel to reel and the owners of existing prints will not allow those prints to be run on a platter. The Somerville Theater in Somerville Massachusetts has a screen equipped to run 70mm http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/483 and they are planing a festival sometime in the future. The Egyptian in Hollywood can run 70mm reel to reel do they get big enough crowds to justify running 70mm prints. I attended a showing of a Cinerama film that had been converted to video and the picture was full screen side masking open full and appeared bright and clear.

Zubi
Zubi on July 19, 2013 at 8:34 pm

To each his own, of course, but the quality of service has gone down considerably in recent years; so “totally worth it” seems a stretch to me. Cinerama-Hollywood almost never plays 70mm prints anymore while other theatres around the country still do. The Arclight chain has lots of revivals but they’re smaller digital pictures—not nearly as impressive in sound or image quality. The snack bars aren’t as fresh or well run as they used to be—at least at the locations I’ve been to. They have fewer and fewer live box office cashiers; more and more out-of-order ticket machines. They took out their guest services desks. One sees more and more vandalism in the restrooms. Seems like paying more and getting less to me.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on July 19, 2013 at 4:29 am

As a $15/year member, you get a $5 gift card, a free ticket the month of your birthday, and two free tickets to ArcLight Presents shows in addition to the other stuff. That’s totally worth it to me.

RogerA
RogerA on July 19, 2013 at 3:53 am

Well as an Arclight member I did get excellent service seat selection and feel I have been treated very well.

Zubi
Zubi on July 18, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Arclight members were recently notified by email that this chain of theatres is going to start charging a $15 annual membership fee. One must now pay for the privilege of having a rewards/loyalty card that has been 100% free for well over a decade. All current memberships will terminate at the end of this summer. Members with accrued points who do not renew under the new program will have 24 months afterwards to use any accrued points. One must use or lose even new points under the new membership within 24 months. The trade-off is that you get a 10% discount on coffee, a $5 gift card for signing now, and other things that nobody cares about. They are calling these things “exciting new benefits”.

BRADE48
BRADE48 on June 19, 2013 at 1:20 am

Arclight Hollywood appears to be having a French Film Fest in August.

Pierrot le fou – Aug 4 in the CINERAMA DOME

Band of Outsiders Aug 6

Breathless Aug 8

Amelie Aug 18 -in the CINERAMA DOME

All in 35MM

In Addition, Enter the Dragon July 21st at the DOME

RogerA
RogerA on May 12, 2013 at 12:25 am

And I was impressed at the picture quality, bright, clear, the sound was set a little low but the visual was very good.

RogerA
RogerA on May 11, 2013 at 11:35 pm

I went to the Gatsby party at the Cinerama Dome on Thursday and the event was great! Well planned. Here is some video from the party http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxeaFpHOJ8w&feature=youtu.be

Cliffs
Cliffs on April 22, 2013 at 10:30 pm

‘Classics in the Dome’ begins 5/3:

5/3, Friday Jaws

5/3, Friday 2001: A Space Odyssey

5/4, Saturday The Red Shoes

5/4, Saturday On the Waterfront

5/5, Sunday Lawrence of Arabia

5/5, Sunday Vertigo

5/6, Monday Dr. Strangelove

5/7, Tuesday Cool Hand Luke

No doubt all digital, but Lawrence should be 4K. Unfortunately, the CapeTown festival is that weekend, so it’s a no go for some.