Syosset Triplex

565 Jericho Turnpike,
Syosset, NY 11791

Coate
Coate on April 29, 2007 at 10:15 pm

I was surprised to learn during a recent research session that United Artists renamed the nearby CINEMA 150 as THE SYOSSET while this was still in operation. That seems awfully silly on the part of UATC. Any of you Long Islanders recall any confusion created by the name change?

Other postings here have claimed the name change took place after the SYOSSET TRIPLEX closed, but I’ve found information to the contrary, at least as far as newspaper promotion was concerned. (I can’t speak for what name appeared on the actual building and/or marquee.)

jasonamil
jasonamil on March 15, 2007 at 5:08 pm

The only projectionist I remember is Norm, who also served as an AV guy at the high school. The other guy’s name I can no longer remember!

Vito
Vito on March 15, 2007 at 3:27 am

Ah yes, that rings a bell, Mary was the manager when we triplexed the place back in, what was it, late 1984?. I think she had someone named Carol working with her, gosh the memories come flooding back.
Do you remember the full time projectionist named Tom?, I worked his Sundays off for quite a while.

jasonamil
jasonamil on March 14, 2007 at 5:45 pm

When I worked at the Triplex in ‘89, the manager was an older lady named Mary McCarthy. She terrorized the mostly teenaged staff but she ran a tight ship. I saw her at the Syosset in '97 organizing lines for “Titanic”, and I even saw her at the UA in Westbury (tearing tickets on a slow Saturday afternoon) three years ago — clearly a lifer in the organization!

Vito
Vito on March 14, 2007 at 5:42 pm

Correction: My last shift at Syosset was in November 1987,
which is when I joined National Amusements where I stayed until retiring in 2005

Vito
Vito on March 14, 2007 at 10:30 am

Sorry Ron, I have lost track of all the old managers and projectionist from back then. My last day at Syosset was
25 years ago back in November 1982. In those last days I bounced between the D-150 and Syosset, but I lived in Woodbury which made an easy commute. But of course my favotite Syosset/D-150 times were in the 60s working Roadshows at both theatres. I’m glad you never got caught in the back row :)

RonMotta
RonMotta on March 14, 2007 at 9:50 am

Yep, I knew it had to do with piracy, which I think is an even bigger problem today than it was, say, twenty years ago. My favorite memories of the Syosset are, of course, girl-related. Sitting in the back row, just getting away with enough to not be considered indecent…heh, I loved growing up in Syosset during the 80s. Vito, you’d know this—there was this older woman who managed the theater. Do you know what happened to her? She seemed stern, but was really a sweetheart (she helped me when a car was blocking my car in the lot because the person didn’t set their emergency break).

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 9, 2007 at 12:34 pm

I attended a preview of Paramount’s “In and Out” (Kevin Kline and Joan Cusack) and was asked to fill out a comment sheet. It was fun to do it, but I now realize that was in 1997 – 10 years ago already. I also wonder if it still gets done today.

Vito
Vito on March 9, 2007 at 11:42 am

If I might be allowed to go off the topic of Syosset, I wondered, speaking of sneak previews, what happened to the comment cards given to patrons viewing the movie. I recall the studio folks gathering nervously in the managers office after the preview to look over the cards.I haven’t seen that in many years and wondered if any areas like LA still do that. I retired in 2005 after 50 years in the buisness of show, I saw a lot of changes some good and some not, but I thought the patrons enjoyed being given a chance to express their opinion after a screening and wondered if it still happens anywhere.

Vito
Vito on March 9, 2007 at 7:54 am

Bill, the year was 2005 and the picture was “King Kong”. I don’t know about the teat of time but it did do very well at the box-office.
Just to keep on-topic I want to share one of my treasured memories of the Syosset, which was working opening weekend of “Sound of Music”, I believe it was early summer of 1965, with my parents in the audience and then giving them a tour of the booth

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 8, 2007 at 3:33 pm

Vito, what was the name of the important picture? We can see if it stood the test of time.

Vito
Vito on March 8, 2007 at 10:57 am

CaptRonLI, I am told, perhaps you would agree, that the main reason for mislabling today has a lot to do with piracy, keeping people from knowing what treaure is in those cans. I remember just before I retired we had a preview of a rather important picture, the print was delivered a couple of hours before the showing by a private courier who stayed in the booth with the print until the show was over,and then took the print away.The idea of course to reduce the risk of piracy. I don’t know how much good all that does, from what I hear you can, if you know the right people, easily obtain DVD copies of recent and unreleased movies.I find that disturbing.
I too miss those two great theatres, I often did relief work at both of them, Syosset as a single screen and tripex. But we can’t
“let' em go”, folks like us have to keep them alive in spirt here at Cinema Treasures.

RonMotta
RonMotta on March 8, 2007 at 10:17 am

Vito, from what I know, they STILL ship films with false names today, particularly the big blockbusters, ie “Star Wars”, “Superman Returns”, “Fantastic Four”, etc.

I miss this and the 150 everytime I drive by with my wife and son to see my parents. I guess it’s fitting that my folks are leaving Syosset now, because the Syosset that I knew is long gone (to quote another song lyric, “those days are gone forever, I should just let ‘em go…”).

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 7, 2007 at 3:29 pm

Re: Warren’s October 1966 ad. I wonder how MGM got away with proclaiming “Winner of 6 Academy Awards” in their “Zhivago” ads. They were counting Art Direction and Set Decoration as two separate awards, and they’re not. But that put them one Oscar up on “The Sound of Music”. I love both movies dearly, but it’s still false advertising.

Vito
Vito on March 7, 2007 at 10:38 am

Regarding the surprise preview of “Oklahoma”, in those days the title of the movie was often kept secret from the public, you did not know what you were going to see until the movie started. In fact we in the booth did not know which picture it was until the print arrived, and even then we were fooled by the title on the film cans which were sometimes mislabeled and did not represent which picture was actually inside.
All very hush-hush and rather mysterious and fun, and they were indeed “sneak previews”

Vito
Vito on January 4, 2007 at 4:09 am

Thanks Ed, I haven’t lived on the Island since 1987 and forgot how the numbering works. However now that you mention it,I do sorta remember getting a bit confused looking for buildings going from town to town. As far as finding theatres, we weren’t given building numbers, just the theatre name and town. Warren, I think that’s how the mail sometimes gets delivered as well.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 3, 2007 at 7:05 pm

Hey Vito… Yes, address numbering schemes vary on Long Island from town to town – even when it’s the same thoroughfare (such as Jericho Turnpike, Hillside Avenue, Sunrise Highway, Merrick Road, etc.) running continuously through each town. The numbering for Woodbury would be different from that of Syosset.

Vito
Vito on January 2, 2007 at 11:21 am

Warren, I would imagine the name was enough to deliver mail and packages. I hate to complicate things even more, but a previous post lists the Syosset address as 565 Jericho Turnpike, but the address for the D-150 Cinema in Woodbury, which was just a short distance from the Syosset, was 7500 Jericho Turnpike. I lived just across from the D-150 at The Woodbury Townhouses at 7640 Jericho Turnpike. So how did the numbers differ so much? Do they start over at the Syosset/Woodbury border? These two theatres were very close together, during the busy summer months I would often work the matinee show at one and then the evening show at the other.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on January 2, 2007 at 11:08 am

I saw Streisand’s “A Star is Born” here, or as Mad magazine more aptly put it, “A Bore is Starred.” Even at the tender age of 19 I could tell a real stinker when I saw it.

Vito
Vito on December 28, 2006 at 9:34 am

Michael, I wanted to add my thanks for your magnificent site. It is the most comprehensive, well thought out site I have found pertaining to 70mm. It is a kick to wallow around in it as I reminisce about the good times working during the 70mm roadshow hey day, and it has also helped me win a bet once.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 27, 2006 at 11:42 am

Andrew Lerner posted a link to his blog a while back where he states that the theater was replaced by an Office Depot, which later expanded to include several other stores, including a Petco. Lost Memory followed up with the address for the Office Depot in Syosset as 565 Jericho Tunrpike. I just looked up Petco in Syosset and it, too, has a 565 Jericho Turnpike address. I think we can go with that, at least until we see any evidence that the theater used a different number.

Michael Coate… You are quite correct for pointing out the proper name for your indispensible website! I apologize for perpetuating any misunderstandings as to the site’s identity. Call it editorial laziness, but it seems more expeditious to refer to it as “70mm in NY” since that is how so many on CT know it. Out of respect, I will endeavor to be more accurate when referring to the terrific resource you have created. As far as I’m concerned, there are four invaluable resources online when it comes to cinema and movie houses: Cinema Treasures (of course); From Script to DVD; American Widescreen Museum; Internet Movie Database. I think I prefer them in that order, too – although I suppose it depends on just what it is I need to look up!

My sincerest wishes for a very happy and prosperous new year for all!

Coate
Coate on December 26, 2006 at 3:44 pm

Weighing in…

I can confirm “The Sound Of Music” was indeed the film playing at the SYOSSET on LI-Tom’s requested date of June 29, 1966. The film’s incredible run at that theatre was 6/23/65-12/20/66.

In response to Vito’s request for me to weigh in on this matter, technically, I weighed in the moment EdSolero linked to my “Sound Of Music” tribute article a few posts ago which contained the info LI-Tom was seeking.

BTW, in reading EdSolero’s last post, I’m reminded of something that has caught my attention numerous times. That being the number of folks who think that the website run by Bill Kallay and myself is called “70mm in New York” when, in fact, the website is called “From Script To DVD.” The “70mm in NY” thing is simply one article (and a large one at that!) among many articles that are posted on our site. The “Sound Of Music” tribute article to which Ed linked (although he typed into his post “70mm in NY”) is yet another article separate from “70mm in NY.”

Perhaps Bill and I created the confusion when we introduced Cinema Treasures readers to our site by providing links to the “70mm in NY” piece. We thought at the time that “70mm in NY” would be the ideal introduction to Cinema Treasures readers given the number of classic theatres mentioned in the article and year-by-year film lists and also because of the number of readers interested in the concept of “showmanship.” I guess we figured that CT readers would have explored our site in more detail once realizing there was content other than just the “70mm in NY” thing.

The “70mm in NY” project, by the way, is among our site’s most popular pages, and we no doubt have you Cinema Treasures readers to thank for that!

Vito
Vito on December 25, 2006 at 12:08 pm

I worked the Syosset during that time and I believe Ed is correct.
“The Sound Of Music” was playing for what seemed like forever.
All we need now is for our resident 70mm expert Michael Coate to weigh in and make it official.

tkimbis
tkimbis on December 25, 2006 at 8:41 am

oooops I meant 40th anniversary. not a big math guy :)

tkimbis
tkimbis on December 25, 2006 at 7:24 am

Ed! You’re a genius! That would be wonderful because it also happens to be my 5-year old daughter’s favorite movie! Anyone else feel free to weigh in. Big shout out to EdSolero!