Syosset Triplex

565 Jericho Turnpike,
Syosset, NY 11791

R2D2 on September 26, 2007 at 5:06 pm

Jim Ebersold:

I’m afraid the passage of time may have created a memory lapse. “Star Wars” did not play at SYOSSET…at least not in the original ‘77 showings. The Long Island engagement you are probably thinking of was at TWIN SOUTH in Hicksville.

jjebersold on September 23, 2007 at 4:50 am

I remember the Syosset with affection. In 1977 Star Wars was released. I was 17 and my brother had a car. We wanted to see Star Wars in Stereo. We lived in Bellerose in Queens and that was our best bet. So off myself, John and our friend Michael went to Syosset. I remember seeing the huge curved screen and watching those classic words roll across the screen. We went back to see it several other times and other “big screen” kind of movies. Its sad that big movie houses like that have been swept aside by the changing movie business. I too am reminded of the song “Come Dancing” by the Kinks when I think of places like the Syosset Theatre.

MarkieS on September 9, 2007 at 5:03 am

I saw both The Sound of Music, and Funny Girl here, both were advanced, reserved seating.

kiggityca on August 28, 2007 at 8:58 pm

hmmm i think i was there for wolf. i know when i started there were some people that had been around a while. did you ever work with sue? she was the asst mgr when i started. i think someone on here mentioned tom the projectionist and i’m pretty sure that was the name of the guy when i worked there. did you ever work with dave gafney? he was a few yrs older than me and i know he was working there a while before i did. or he may have just been at the 150. i’m trying to remember the last time i saw ms. mccarthy, i think it was at the 150 about ‘99 or so. she was exactly the same. “get to work! this isn’t a party!” i like her tho, she drove the kids nuts but she could be so funny and she meant well!

jasonamil on August 28, 2007 at 3:54 am

Erica, I only worked at the Triplex in 1989 but for years after I went back to visit I saw a lot of the same faces. We probably worked with at least some of the same people. The last time I went to the Triplex was to see “Wolf” with Jack Nicholson. Nice symmetry because “Batman” played on all three screens my first month at the Triplex. I last saw Ms. McCarthy at the UA stadium-seating theater in Westbury about three years ago… she hadn’t changed a bit!

bobtaurus on August 27, 2007 at 11:48 pm

I was maybe 7 years old at the time, but it seemed like “2001: A Space Odyssey” (which I thought was pronounced “odds-eye,” whatever the heck that meant) played at the Syosset a very long time.

Also, is it my imagination, or did they not have a gigantic, cheesy-looking, canvas clock face on the front of the theater to promote “A Clockwork Orange?”

kiggityca on August 27, 2007 at 8:39 pm

PS I believe the 150 was called The Syosset for a while when I still worked there, before the Triplex was gone. It was the same company and a lot of times staff from one would work at the other if needed. We also would work at other UA theaters like East Meadow or the drive-in. Ms. McCarthy was a real trip. I wonder where she is now.

kiggityca on August 27, 2007 at 8:36 pm

The triplex closed first. I worked there from 1992-1995 and was there till the end. The 150 was still open for a while after that, a few years I think. Used to go back and visit Ms. McCarthy!

Tryin to track down what we referred to as the “old-school crew” ie ‘92 but I’d love to hear from anyone who was really old-school!!

Vito on May 22, 2007 at 5:38 pm

Michael and Ed, The D-150 was in Woodbury, Zip code 11797.
I know there has been a lot of confusion about all this, but I lived in Woodbury at the Fairhaven town houses which are located directly across the dtreet from D-150. In fact I could see the atraction board from my kitchen window. I worked Syosset as a single screen duing the period 1962 thru 1972, and then both houses from 1983 thru 1987. I worked on the installation when the Syosset was triplexed and worked it part time for a while. At no time do I recall the
D-150 ever being called anything but Cinema 150. If it was ever called the “Syosset” it would have had to have been after October
1987 which is when I ran my last show (Dirty Dancing)there.
Michael, I can’t recall which closed first the Syosset triplex or the D-150, perhaps if the triplex closed first they may have renamed the D-150 as “Syosset”. That would be odd however since the theatre was in Woodbury. OK Michael my friend, you now have you work cut out for you to sort all this out. If anyone can do it, you can. :)

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on May 22, 2007 at 4:37 pm

Michael… I remember the two theaters in simultaneous operation for a brief time with very similar names. I think newspaper ads and listings always referred to this theater as Syosset Triplex (or just “Triplex” under the town name “Syosset.” For a while, the Cinema 150 was listed as Syosset in listings and ads as well, as I recall. I was never at the Syosset Triplex and only attended a few films at the 150, so when looking up the theater for times, I do remember some confusion and double checking to make sure I was looking at the right listing. Am I way off base or was the 150 listed under Woodbury in some papers?

Bloop on May 21, 2007 at 8:25 pm

I saw “Earthquake” in SENSUROUND at the 150 in 1974. No big deal. Now when I go into Best Buy and the have all those horrible booming speaker systems assaulting your ears…makes “Sensuround” sound like someone is typing on tin foil. Saw “Alien” and “Animal House” at the Syosset as well.

Coate on April 30, 2007 at 4:15 am

I was surprised to learn during a recent research session that United Artists renamed the nearby CINEMA 150 as THE SYOSSET while this was still in operation. That seems awfully silly on the part of UATC. Any of you Long Islanders recall any confusion created by the name change?

Other postings here have claimed the name change took place after the SYOSSET TRIPLEX closed, but I’ve found information to the contrary, at least as far as newspaper promotion was concerned. (I can’t speak for what name appeared on the actual building and/or marquee.)

jasonamil on March 15, 2007 at 10:08 pm

The only projectionist I remember is Norm, who also served as an AV guy at the high school. The other guy’s name I can no longer remember!

Vito on March 15, 2007 at 8:27 am

Ah yes, that rings a bell, Mary was the manager when we triplexed the place back in, what was it, late 1984?. I think she had someone named Carol working with her, gosh the memories come flooding back.
Do you remember the full time projectionist named Tom?, I worked his Sundays off for quite a while.

jasonamil on March 14, 2007 at 10:45 pm

When I worked at the Triplex in ‘89, the manager was an older lady named Mary McCarthy. She terrorized the mostly teenaged staff but she ran a tight ship. I saw her at the Syosset in '97 organizing lines for “Titanic”, and I even saw her at the UA in Westbury (tearing tickets on a slow Saturday afternoon) three years ago — clearly a lifer in the organization!

Vito on March 14, 2007 at 10:42 pm

Correction: My last shift at Syosset was in November 1987,
which is when I joined National Amusements where I stayed until retiring in 2005

Vito on March 14, 2007 at 3:30 pm

Sorry Ron, I have lost track of all the old managers and projectionist from back then. My last day at Syosset was
25 years ago back in November 1982. In those last days I bounced between the D-150 and Syosset, but I lived in Woodbury which made an easy commute. But of course my favotite Syosset/D-150 times were in the 60s working Roadshows at both theatres. I’m glad you never got caught in the back row :)

RonMotta on March 14, 2007 at 2:50 pm

Yep, I knew it had to do with piracy, which I think is an even bigger problem today than it was, say, twenty years ago. My favorite memories of the Syosset are, of course, girl-related. Sitting in the back row, just getting away with enough to not be considered indecent…heh, I loved growing up in Syosset during the 80s. Vito, you’d know this—there was this older woman who managed the theater. Do you know what happened to her? She seemed stern, but was really a sweetheart (she helped me when a car was blocking my car in the lot because the person didn’t set their emergency break).

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 9, 2007 at 6:34 pm

I attended a preview of Paramount’s “In and Out” (Kevin Kline and Joan Cusack) and was asked to fill out a comment sheet. It was fun to do it, but I now realize that was in 1997 – 10 years ago already. I also wonder if it still gets done today.

Vito on March 9, 2007 at 5:42 pm

If I might be allowed to go off the topic of Syosset, I wondered, speaking of sneak previews, what happened to the comment cards given to patrons viewing the movie. I recall the studio folks gathering nervously in the managers office after the preview to look over the cards.I haven’t seen that in many years and wondered if any areas like LA still do that. I retired in 2005 after 50 years in the buisness of show, I saw a lot of changes some good and some not, but I thought the patrons enjoyed being given a chance to express their opinion after a screening and wondered if it still happens anywhere.

Vito on March 9, 2007 at 1:54 pm

Bill, the year was 2005 and the picture was “King Kong”. I don’t know about the teat of time but it did do very well at the box-office.
Just to keep on-topic I want to share one of my treasured memories of the Syosset, which was working opening weekend of “Sound of Music”, I believe it was early summer of 1965, with my parents in the audience and then giving them a tour of the booth

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 8, 2007 at 9:33 pm

Vito, what was the name of the important picture? We can see if it stood the test of time.

Vito on March 8, 2007 at 4:57 pm

CaptRonLI, I am told, perhaps you would agree, that the main reason for mislabling today has a lot to do with piracy, keeping people from knowing what treaure is in those cans. I remember just before I retired we had a preview of a rather important picture, the print was delivered a couple of hours before the showing by a private courier who stayed in the booth with the print until the show was over,and then took the print away.The idea of course to reduce the risk of piracy. I don’t know how much good all that does, from what I hear you can, if you know the right people, easily obtain DVD copies of recent and unreleased movies.I find that disturbing.
I too miss those two great theatres, I often did relief work at both of them, Syosset as a single screen and tripex. But we can’t
“let' em go”, folks like us have to keep them alive in spirt here at Cinema Treasures.

RonMotta on March 8, 2007 at 4:17 pm

Vito, from what I know, they STILL ship films with false names today, particularly the big blockbusters, ie “Star Wars”, “Superman Returns”, “Fantastic Four”, etc.

I miss this and the 150 everytime I drive by with my wife and son to see my parents. I guess it’s fitting that my folks are leaving Syosset now, because the Syosset that I knew is long gone (to quote another song lyric, “those days are gone forever, I should just let ‘em go…”).

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 7, 2007 at 9:29 pm

Re: Warren’s October 1966 ad. I wonder how MGM got away with proclaiming “Winner of 6 Academy Awards” in their “Zhivago” ads. They were counting Art Direction and Set Decoration as two separate awards, and they’re not. But that put them one Oscar up on “The Sound of Music”. I love both movies dearly, but it’s still false advertising.