Drake Theatre

62-90 Woodhaven Boulevard,
Rego Park, NY 11374

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on August 18, 2004 at 10:21 am

Warren, thanks for posting that anecdote, however sad and regrettable that incident was. I had no idea that had happened inside the Drake. Not the best way to complain about the sound system : damaging and destroying the imaging system, not to mention the seats, candy counter and doors. It also doesn’t say much for Led Zeppelin and their fans.

The crowd at a late night screening of “Ladies and Gentlemen The Rolling Stones” at the Meserole in Greenpoint, Bklyn I attended with three friends in June 1975 was much better behaved, as I recall, although the pot smoke was almost as thick as at an actual concert. You could almost get high just sitting there breathing second-hand pot smoke.

Mark1
Mark1 on August 5, 2004 at 3:43 pm

RobertR – I didn’t mean to that the theatres I mentioned were all IN Rego Park, but were extremely convenient to it, by walking, a short subway ride, etc. And there were others besides the ones I mentioned, of course. I considered it all “metropolitan Rego Park” from my point of view. It was a great area for movies.

RobertR
RobertR on August 5, 2004 at 12:38 pm

Barton
Although the Trylons location was debateable as to its location being in Rego Park or Forest Hills the Elmwood was Elmhurst. The Midway and Continental were definately Forest Hills. I grew up going to all of these places but miss the beautiful Forest Hills Theatre the most. Although never fancy it had elegance and class. My neighborhoos has changed alot over the years. Besides the US Open playing 3 blocks from my house, the Forest Hills Tennis Stadium once played incredible concerts. The summer of 64 must have had the most star studded lineup ever. Sinatra played with Count Basie. There was Judy Garland, Barbara Streisand, Louis Armstrong, Peggy Lee and Chet Baker to name a few. And lets not forget the Beatles who caused so much mania they landed in a helicopter on the courts of the West Side Tennis club. My folks took home movies of the mobs packing Burns Street all the way to Continental Avenue. The other great thing was you could hear the shows from the Street if you could not get tickets. I miss those days.

Mark1
Mark1 on July 29, 2004 at 4:50 am

Warren, it is indeed a long walk from Queens Blvd to the Drake. I remember making that walk once in 1963 or'64. It was also a very dull and depressing walk, once you got past Alderton Street. And when I got there, on a Saturday afternoon, the theatre was crawling with kids. The movie was something with Tony Curtis and Christine Kaufmann. During this time period, Rego Park was a great place for movies. There was the Trylon, and very close by the Elmwood, the Midway, the Continental, the Jackson, etc. With all that available, I never went back to the Drake.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on July 20, 2004 at 11:45 am

Thanks, DavidH, that’s a great story ! The date of that “first blackout” was Tuesday, November 9, 1965 !

I wonder how many theaters in the NYC area were showing “The Tingler” and “Wait Until Dark” during the blackouts of November 9, 1965, July 13, 1977 and, most recently, August 14, 2003, and so gave their audiences more than they had bargained for ! The screen is supposed to go black near the end of both films.

DavidHurlbutt
DavidHurlbutt on July 20, 2004 at 10:53 am

The Drake was a wonderful, comfortable theater. Plain but clean. My favorite memory of the Drake was on the night of the first blackout in the 60s, the ticket seller sat guard with one lit candle in the box office. She waved to everybody stating the Drake would be open again once the lights went on.

Bway
Bway on July 20, 2004 at 10:04 am

Yes, the Drake was used in Howard Stern’s movie “Private Parts”. In addition, the Drake is currently used as the catering hall portion of Joe Abbracamento’s Restaurant. The lobby seems to have been redone sort of fancy in “catering hall” style.
The one and only time I was there was when I saw “Annie” there in the early or mid 80’s. I only vaguely remember the interior, but don’t remember it being anything “that” special.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on April 14, 2004 at 12:35 pm

The one and only film I saw at the Drake was a re-release of “Return Of The Jedi” on Sunday May 5 1985. Prior to that, I almost saw “Star Trek III” there summer of 1984, and remember “City Heat” with Clint Eastwood and Burt Reynolds playing there December 1984. I recall a grand re-opening, with searchlights sweeping the sky, in November 1987, featuring the film “Nuts”, starring Barbra Streisand, Karl Malden, and Leslie Nielsen. I do not know the last film it showed. I think the restaurant it is now part of is, or at least was, Abbraciamento’s. I last passed by there late July 1997 but did not get a good look at it.

fred1
fred1 on February 24, 2004 at 10:47 am

howard stern’s privite parts was used fo a scene

William
William on November 14, 2003 at 5:25 pm

The Drake Theatre is located at 589 Woodhaven Blvd..

zoetmb
zoetmb on November 5, 2003 at 7:08 pm

This theater is now part of a restaurant.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 7, 2003 at 11:52 pm

I believe the exterior of this theater was used in the Howard Stern film “Private Parts”. This is on Woodhaven Blvd in the 60’s in the commercial strip several blocks south of Queens Blvd.