Uniondale Mini Cinema

886 Jerusalem Avenue,
Uniondale, NY 11553

Randyman
Randyman on January 8, 2007 at 7:14 am

Yes, plenty of showings of Harold & Maude as well as Where’s Papa? (later retitiled “Going Ape” all because of the one scene in the ape costume).

“I kinda remember seeing them there, but can’t be sure.” Wow, in just a few words you summed up what it felt like to spend a night at the Mini-Cinema!

timmyb
timmyb on January 7, 2007 at 9:54 pm

Thanks for all the posts. it certainly brought back a bunch of memories from a time I don’t remember well. I think I saw a few concert films (dead, Pink Floyd) along with rocky Horror, Quadrophenia? The Hills have Eyes (scared the shit of of me). I think there was a double feature of kentucky fried Movie and groove Tube once. Waiting to get in was as much fun as the movie most nights.
Did you guys play Where’s Papa? or Harold and Maude? I kinda remember seeing them there, but can’t be sure.

Thanks for the youtube vids. The old A&P Supermarket looks just as bad as it does now

timmyb
timmyb on January 7, 2007 at 9:54 pm

snapolit
snapolit on December 31, 2006 at 9:22 pm

Mike: Loved the Utube clip. Brought back a bunch of great memories. What a treat to see. Thanks very much for posting.

tisker
tisker on December 28, 2006 at 7:36 pm

Happy New Year everyone.

Randyman
Randyman on November 2, 2006 at 7:44 am

Gosh, as one of the former management team, I can’t imagine we were letting in 5th graders with all the pot and drink. But then again, the writer doesn’t claim that it was his first time in 5th grade.

hopanero
hopanero on November 1, 2006 at 11:12 pm

I was only there once.I saw Led Zeppelin’s the song remains the same with my best friend and our mom’s,we were in 5th-6th grade.The scene was crazy EVERYBODY smoking pot and drinking i’ll never forget it.Long live the mini cinema!

dwolf
dwolf on November 1, 2006 at 4:39 am

Yes I saw Gums and Pelvis double feature

DanR
DanR on November 1, 2006 at 1:51 am

From the Howard Stern Show 8-14-06(quoted from marksfriggin.com):

Gary and Howard talked about this mini-cinema theater that used to be there and how they would play some really weird movies there. Gary said they had a movie called ‘'Gums’‘ that was about a mermaid that blew guys to death. Howard said he’d like to see that movie and he’d also like to start his own mini-cinema, he figures the fans would like something like that.

mkelo
mkelo on October 15, 2006 at 7:34 pm

Mikey… What a blast from the past that youtube.com clip was! To see the lobby – and the candy counter! What memories! Please let us know when you post more! Thanks again. Best – Michael Kriegsman

MarzanoMiniPlayer
MarzanoMiniPlayer on October 10, 2006 at 7:30 pm

Hi Min-Fans ! Mike Russo here with some real exciting news now! I have spent the last year or so compiling ALOT of the Mini-Cinema footage I shot back in 1977 1985 with Joe Marzano…Joe Marzano the Originator of the Marzano Mini-Players & Sadly he passed but he did leave me with all of the Mini-Movies & Rocky Horror Mini-Cinema Films.. I will be posting all of it up on my YOUTUBE site in the next few weeks…Some amazing stuff here, tell everyone cause I got stuff that everybody has forgotten about including the RoseLand & Club Heat Halloween Parties from 1979 that I Shot personally with Joe..Including interviews with Richard Obrien and Sal Piro, Dori, Gale, April and many more! Hold On Cause here come the Memories! Go to YOUTUBE.COM and tpye in Mini cinema…My email is Id love to hear from some of the Mini-Cinema regulars…Peace….Mikey

kelistra
kelistra on October 4, 2006 at 1:23 pm

Hey Michael,
Great to hear from you, I think I do remember you….those were fun days yes actually my hair and eyes are the same Thanx I love the flaterry at 45 , you have no idea how many people thank my Dad for the oppoutunities he gave them it is pretty neat..today he was just OK, it is a very hard disease to handle , I do love still having him and enjoying his company…coming to LA this weekend for a funeral my Uncle passed away…keep in touch and again Thanx I love the positive stuff it puts a smile on mine and his face…Keli

RobertR
RobertR on October 4, 2006 at 10:33 am

There is an ad here for the Mini in 1975

mkelo
mkelo on September 22, 2006 at 12:29 pm

Keli… I remember meeting you at The Mini and at your dad’s nostalia/movie poster shop in East Meadow (you had these great eyes and beautiful blond hair! And I assume you still have both!). Your dad allowed me to exhibit my own short film at The Mini Cinema – for a whole week! – and he inspired me to get into “the business” as a writer. Please tell him that I sent my love and that I wish him all the best. What a great, great man. – Michael Kriegsman, Los Angeles

TerryP
TerryP on September 7, 2006 at 5:05 pm

and Gary is still doing projection and sound for UA out of Denver.

Randyman
Randyman on September 6, 2006 at 10:05 am

When $1.65 an hour was ok to live on, the theatres were a great way to enjoy working.

Hey, here is a fun anecdocte about the mini. For years the projectionists' union stuck us with a pretty poor projectionist. He was the guy who insisted on playing George Benson’s “This Masquerade” between every show. And I recall him not being very attentive to running the films.

We had this new projectionist straight out of military academy, Gary, whom we on the staff had thoroughly corrupted. We really wanted to bring him on as the full time projectionist.

Eventually the mini brought a union action against the old projectionist, claiming he was continually incompetent. At the hearing his defense was…and can’t you just predict it…he could not stop screwing up because of all the 2nd hand pot smoke wafting upwards from the auditorium!

TerryP
TerryP on September 6, 2006 at 9:51 am

candygirl,

Billy sadly passed away many, many years ago. Josh (last I heard) is married and living in CT, yet commutes to a computer firm he works at on Long Island.

tisker
tisker on September 4, 2006 at 6:41 pm

I worked at the Mini for many years and have some fond memories. Whatever happened to Billy & Josh?

robbi
robbi on August 26, 2006 at 8:51 am

Hey Keli. My name is Robert Manek. I use to work with your brother Shuan at the Calderone. What times!!! Write back at

FRIDGE
FRIDGE on March 25, 2006 at 8:25 am

If memory serves me correct between the time that the Mini closed it’s doors for good and became a church, it was home to the Uniondale or nassau County school book depository.
Now I’m sure you all remember going to the Klimczuk’s (sic?) house at Christmas time to see the massively gaudy display of Christmas cheer! Remember?… just about a hundred yards or so west of the Mini.
Anyway I’ll never forget the display of “The Black Madonna and Child” which later on (late 80’s) turned into the P.C. “African American Madonna and Child”! Whatta' rip! I wet my pants laughing when I saw that. And then there was that crazy antique Mickey Mouse doll on the tricycle…
But alas, all good things must come to an end. I believe the old man kicked and the kids didn’t have the gumption to continue the tradition and sold the house. Makes me wonder what happened to all that stuff…

tisker
tisker on February 21, 2006 at 7:01 pm

Keli,
How’s your bother?

dwolf
dwolf on January 28, 2006 at 7:02 am

I too have many many memories… For me Saturday night Grateful Dead Movie… that was a long run before Rocky Horror took over… I always felt it was Rocky that began the down fall of the mini.. Once Rocky started there were lines circling the parking lot to get in… for every show… and due to such large crowds there was an accident when someone got pushed through the front window.. but enough of the bad… I lived in East Meadow, close enough to walk there. How about the carrots at the Bugs Bunny Festival. Now my favorite comment over the years which I still tell.. I had older brothers, so my parents knew what went on in the mini…. (lots of herb)so…
when ever I came home reaking of pot, my mom would say “you smell like smoke” and I knew what she meant, all I had to say is, “I was at the Mini”. End of discussion. Now this is a true story. I was there with about 10 buddies… we had a large plaster pipe that had a lon tube that everyone one could get a hot off of… I was sitting on the aisle.. one of the onwners stop and said “come on guys, joints and handpipes are fine but please” We were more that happy to accomadate. It was a great place for sure… Yes I remember the dog now. And then the Jerry Lewis theater.. loved the mural

Randyman
Randyman on December 28, 2005 at 8:42 pm

I worked at the Mini in mid-70’s, rising through the ranks to asst. manager. An amazing parade of characters, on screen and in the audience. Spent one year as housemates with Billy Contin & Arlene Hewitt. We had so much fun, so much of the time. Of course, every 90 minutes we were interrupted by people entering or leaving theatre. I was the one who went on to open Cine Capri, and that is where the rolling papers (and Power Hitters) were sold at the snack stand. At the Mini Cinema, the repertory began with art films, such as Sorrow And The Pity and Felini films, but the counterculture films came to dominate and the art films stopped drawing. On behalf of everyone who worked at the Mini, we especially thank our blissed-out customers who were too stoned to realize the stash and other things that dropped out of their pockets during the shows. After closing time, we used to find the most amazing things on that auditorium floor, and they propelled many a late night staff party! The Mini Cinema was a really good time in life.