Vogue Theatre

6675 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Bway
Bway on October 7, 2008 at 11:03 am

I love trees and all, and think they add to the look of most streets….but WHY in the world would they plant a tree right in front of a theater marquee? Don’t these people think when they open the hole in the sidewalk about placement?

haineshisway
haineshisway on September 28, 2008 at 3:52 pm

Sorry, I meant the Paramount, not the Hollywood, but I think you knew that when I mentioned Disney.

socal09
socal09 on September 28, 2008 at 2:55 pm

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Disney didn’t buy the Holywood. They leased, not bought, the Paramount (now renamed El Capitan-its orginal name). The building btw just went up for sale although Disney is saying it will keep on leasing the theater. The Hollywood is the Guiness Records museum.

haineshisway
haineshisway on September 28, 2008 at 2:29 pm

It’s not heavy handed, and in six months come back here and tell me how many are thriving. I can tell you the answer will be 0. The trendy never stay in one place, one area, and the cretins who are pandering to the young cretins who populate these awful places never learn this lesson. Apparently, the club that was going into the Fox DID learn it, but probably after spending a lot of money. Tell Disney how a single screen venue isn’t feasible – had they not bought the Hollywood, I wonder if THAT would be a club right now, or some retail store, or just have been torn down. I know it’s bigger, but you put the right films in those houses and they’d do just fine. The Pacific’s (formerly Warners Cinerama) one of the most beautiful theaters ever, sits there being used as a church. It makes me want to vomit on the ground. If Disney can do what they did with the El Capitan, why can’t Warners or another studio do the same for the Pacific’s? And frankly, if the Hollywood and the Vogue are both going to be disemboweled beyond recognition, tear ‘em down and do something new.

socal09
socal09 on September 28, 2008 at 2:18 pm

A bit heavyhanded to say all clubs in Hollywood are dying. There are still new ones opening like The Kress as older ones close or change hands. Avalon is still going strong. I don’t honestly know what is exactly going into the Fox but from what I’ve read there wasn’t much left to begin with (it was a storage facility for years). A single screen venue of that size isn’t feasible anymore and the Fox has seen its day (although I loved its crazy 60’s facade). Time will tell what will happen to these places but anything is better than the eyesore state the Vogue is in right now. They did a nice job redoing the exterior of the Ivar but nothing goes on there anymore (I think the Los Angeles Film School bought the building)

haineshisway
haineshisway on September 28, 2008 at 1:37 pm

Let me get this straight – that sickening club PULLED OUT and now it’s going to be a store? Unbelievable. I’m sure if you scroll up you’ll see my reactions to the Vogue becoming a club – I said the Hollywood club trend would be dead by the time these idiots got around to this, and it’s proven to be the case – they’re all dying, just sooner than I thought.

socal09
socal09 on September 28, 2008 at 10:48 am

Haineshisway: Those are great pics of the Vogue I haven’t seen before. As someone else pointed out, they have started removing the marquee on this theater. The whole place is such a wreck and Hollywood Blvd overall still has a long way to go in terms of rejuvenation. The hookers and drug dealers may be gone but there are a lot of empty stores and too many homeless wandering the streets with their shopping carts (I live a couple of blocks away). It will take a few big name retailers to get the ball rolling. Not sure if the Vogue is still slated for a nightclub conversion but the Fox seems to be on its way to becoming a retail outlet once the Crobar club pulled out of its commitment to the place. The Vine and Pacific and X theater near Gower also sit empty and unused. Sad.

vokoban
vokoban on September 26, 2008 at 1:54 pm

It’s used for special events right now. I saw a few movies there last spring for Last Remaining Seats. Check here once in awhile:

Rolando
Rolando on September 26, 2008 at 1:30 pm

Last week the Fox on Hollywood Boulevard had construction work going on. You could look right in since the boards were down and the inside was completely gutted and workers were busy inside. Seeing all the work going on left the impression that it will no longer be a theatre of any kind. Anybody have any info if the Million Dollar Theatre, downtown, will be showing films again?

monika
monika on September 23, 2008 at 6:13 pm

Haines: Those are pretty awesome pictures! Not only does the theatre look so different, the entire street does.

I was in Hollywood last week (9/17/08) and saw that the Vogue is being cleaned out and that the rightmost side of the marquee has been removed from the building. The photo I took is on a film camera, will scan and post here after processing.

haineshisway
haineshisway on September 23, 2008 at 6:08 pm

I’ve added photos to the Lido, the Stadium, the Bruin, and the Wiltern. Will do more as I get the time – I’ve got great photos of early 60s Chinese, the Forum, the Carthay Circle, the Palms, etc.

haineshisway
haineshisway on September 23, 2008 at 6:01 pm

That’s weird, the last one came out correctly. Go know.

haineshisway
haineshisway on September 23, 2008 at 6:01 pm

And looking the opposite way, facing east.

Sorry these are coming out sideways – I edited the photos in photobucket, rotated them, said to replace original, and it shows up there fine, but not here – how come?

haineshisway
haineshisway on September 23, 2008 at 5:59 pm

Since there are no shots of the Vogue in its classic 60s mode, here are two from circa 1965ish when What’s New Pussycat was playing.

Rolando
Rolando on August 19, 2008 at 6:23 am

Thanks for the update soca109. Bummer I missed ‘Mildred Pierce’ at the Million Dollar. I sure hope there are plans to bring that movie palace back to its original use.

socal09
socal09 on August 18, 2008 at 9:51 pm

The Last Remaining Seats series during the summer is a great way to see the inside of the old movie palaces on Broadway and watch a classic film projected on a large screen. The recent screening of Mildred Pierce at the restored Million Dollar theater was great. Its beautiful inside although there were complaints of bad sighlines in the back part of the orchestra.
As to the Vogue, there was a lot of work going on for a while but recently, nothing. Not sure what is going on. The place is a real mess and needs to be cleaned up.
As to the comment above regarding the Las Palmas theater, its not empty, it functions as Element nightclub.

Rolando
Rolando on August 15, 2008 at 4:34 pm

Hey, thanks Monika, sure do appreciate you providing the link to Bringing Back Broadway. I think I just might have to join the organization.

monika
monika on August 15, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Here is a link regarding the Broadway theatres:

Rolando
Rolando on August 15, 2008 at 2:29 pm

Every summer the L.A. Conservancy hosts “Last Remaining Seats” to raise money to save the movie palaces on Broadway. Other than the Orpheum being renovated, is ANYTHING being done? The other theaters are just sitting there either for filming or turned into discount stores.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on August 15, 2008 at 9:32 am

The UA theater in downtown LA is still a church.

haineshisway
haineshisway on August 15, 2008 at 9:03 am

That was probably a lot back then – if it’s still 13 mil I can’t imagine why a studio wouldn’t buy it and restore it and make it a flagship house like the El Capitan. All they need to do is make one piece of crap less for the year and voila.

William
William on August 15, 2008 at 8:11 am

Bruce, When I closed the house as a the Hollywood Pacific in the 90' they were asking around $13 Million for the building.