Loew's Capitol Theatre

1645 Broadway,
New York, NY 10019

markp
markp on May 7, 2018 at 12:57 pm

Well looks like I wont be projecting 2001. Unless it goes to the Regal E Walk or AMC Lincoln Square, I have no chance of running it. Sad.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 7, 2018 at 11:10 am

I can’t imagine the screen at the Alamo Drafthouse is all that big.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 6, 2018 at 6:05 pm

Mark: Thanks for doing the compilation. You are doing Warner Bros.‘ work for them. Good to know it’s coming back to Brooklyn in August – I can see it again. The one really sad omission from your list is the Uptown Theater in Washington DC. The place where 2001 had its world premiere still has its Cinerama screen, but they’ve removed their 70mm projector.

Joe: the screen at the Village East is surprisingly big. It’s about the same size as the one at the Ziegfeld. Looking forward to seeing it there.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 6, 2018 at 3:27 pm

Hello-

I remember seeing 2001 twice during its roadshow engagement “in Cinerama” at this theater and a few years later at the in 70mm at the Ziegfeld. my point being simple- since Nolan supervised a frame by frame re-mastering for the 50th Anniversary why show it at a theater unless it has a really big screen? its kind of like doing a frame by frame digital re-mastering of Lawrence of Arabia and showing it at the Cinema 2.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on May 6, 2018 at 2:57 pm

Thanks Bill! Because I have no life, this what I did today. With the help of Google, Reddit and Twitter (I also drank coffee and ate coffee cake ;–)

2001: A Space Odyssey – 2018 70mm engagements

May 18-25: New York – Village East

May 18-24: Chicago – Music Box

May 18-28: San Francisco – Castro

May 18-23: Los Angeles – ArcLight Cinemas (including 2 showings at Cinerama Dome)

June 1-14: Boston – Somerville Theatre

July 6-12: Coral Gables FL – Coral Gables Art Cinema

July 30-31: San Francisco – Alamo Drafthouse New Mission

August 9-12: Detroit – Redford Theatre

August ? : Brooklyn – Alamo Drafthouse

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 6, 2018 at 1:38 pm

This page also mentions Emagine Willow Creek Theater in Plymouth, Minnesota, June 29th-July 5, but I couldn’t find confirmation of that on the theater’s website.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on May 6, 2018 at 12:04 pm

Well, here’s another:
Somerville Theatre in Boston June 1 – 14.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on May 6, 2018 at 11:25 am

Also the Lightbox cinema in Toronto starting June 6. Apparently the only run in Canada, per this article:

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on May 6, 2018 at 10:52 am

Yes, very cool! Good to know about Portland.
It’s bizarre to me though that of the many showings during the five-day run at the ArcLight Cinemas in Hollywood, only two individual screenings are scheduled for the actual Cinerama Dome theatre, and of course, as you said, they are both sold out. The others have tickets available.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 6, 2018 at 10:27 am

It is also playing at the Hollywood Theater in Portland, OR on June 1st through June 3rd. All shows are already sold out. So are the shows at the Cinerama Dome. I have a ticket for the Village East in NYC for May 18th. All this interest in 2001 is very exciting. It feels just like 50 years ago.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on May 6, 2018 at 9:57 am

2001 update: The Christopher Nolan-supervised 70mm release opens May 18 at these theaters:

New York – Village East
Chicago – Music Box
San Francisco – Castro
Los Angeles – ArcLight Cinerama Dome

also:
June 16: Columbus – Gateway Film Center

These are the only ones I have found so far. Am assuming there will be other June dates since there seem to be at least four prints for the US release. If I had unlimited funds, I would go to LA for sure to see it on a real Cinerama screen.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 17, 2018 at 4:26 pm

Hello-

to BobbyS I thank you for your reply. I recently watched an HD transfer of Circus World on YouTube and found that while it may not have been Oscar material it was an colorful entertaining movie. so since the film’s roadshow engagement “in Cinerama” at this theater lasted 19 weeks I can’t believe said engagement at the Uptown in D.C.lasted only 3 weeks.

also presenting films “in Cinerama” lasted another five years.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on April 17, 2018 at 1:14 pm

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on April 17, 2018 at 1:02 pm

According to Fandango, “2001” in 70mm is scheduled for a 7-day run at the City Cinemas Village East/Jaffe Art Theatre starting May 18.

BobbyS
BobbyS on April 16, 2018 at 9:55 pm

I kind of remember it wasn’t a great film….Not in the same way as “Windjammer” was. Maybe the novelty of the large format was wearing out!

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 16, 2018 at 5:43 pm

Hello-

I see from the wonderful article that Circus World’s roadshow engagement “in Cinerama” lasted 19 weeks. now in D.C. it played the Uptown and on that’s theater’s page someone stated that the film’s roadshow engagement “in Cinerama” lasted a grand total of 3 weeks. I can’t believe the film’s roadshow ruin at the Uptown lasted only 3 weeks considering it played the Capitol for 19 weeks.

BobbyS
BobbyS on April 15, 2018 at 5:30 pm

Wonderful pictures! Thanks Stevenj

stevenj
stevenj on April 14, 2018 at 10:01 am

Accidentally put the wrong link in yesterday – here is the correct one for this theatre w/article MarkDHite mentions: Capitol

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 14, 2018 at 8:12 am

I’ve seen five other Cinerama screens (Montclair NJ, Washington DC, Dayton OH, Los Angeles, Seattle) but the one at the Capitol is the only one that felt close to being 93 feet wide. I know memories are often faulty, especially 50-year-old ones, but that screen was truly an unforgettable sight.

vindanpar
vindanpar on April 14, 2018 at 7:02 am

You know I love putting down the Ziegfeld because it was a joke compared to other NY houses. Even the Todd AO Oklahoma at Cinema one was a much better experience than it ever would have been at the Ziegfeld. I’d rather even see many other 70MM spectacles at other east side houses which I did with El Cid which I believe was at the Gotham.

Ziegfeld screen size 50 ft.
Warner Cinerama 81 ft.

They both had very close seating capacities. Except the Ziegfeld was a long shoe box. The ‘loge’ was a block away from the screen.

I mean we are talking the Minetta Lane compared to the Winter Garden.

2001 Would be terrible at the Walter Reade. It’s widescreen uses up a smaller portion of its screen size. Yeah it’s one of those. Instead of the screen expanding it gets smaller.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on April 14, 2018 at 6:42 am

I knew I recalled reading somewhere it was more than 90 feet but couldn’t quickly find that online yesterday! Thanks. Sometime in the next week, I will get that into the Introduction.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on April 13, 2018 at 11:14 pm

The article on that site from the time of the Capitol’s 1962 Cinerama conversion says that the screen was 33x93 feet.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 13, 2018 at 5:19 pm

It’s sad to think how the really big screen at the Capitol was torn down 50 years ago, and nothing was ever really built since to replace it. I’m grateful I got to experience “2001” on that screen.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 13, 2018 at 4:31 pm

Hello-

I thank patryan6019 for their reply. I don’t see the point behind issuing a blu-ray disc of the film unless its in the correct aspect ratio.

also when 2001 gets its 50th Anniversary Reissue in
May it had better be shown in a theater with a really
big screen.