Loew's Capitol Theatre

1645 Broadway,
New York, NY 10019

RobertEndres
RobertEndres on May 23, 2018 at 10:38 am

Truthfully it wasn’t that impressive on a flat screen in a huge hall. I had a chance to see it twice in Cinerama on curved screens once in Chicago and once at the Oakbrook D-150 house near Chicago. A college student who was home for vacation mentioned to me that he had seen it in 16mm. I was working for Plitt Theatres at the time and had a pass for all of their houses. 2001 was playing at Oakbrook so we took a ride up to see it there. We sat in the first row during a matinee performance, and my friend commented that when the D-150 snipe appeared before the feature that it was the only time he had had to turn his head to read a title. Also memorable was the projectionist slightly missing a changeover and putting a tail leader on the screen. In Cinerama (D-150) it was enough to suck your eyeballs out!

I sat in the first row at the Hall when we did our tech screenings of the 70mm prints but it wasn’t the same. I considered going up on stage and sitting right in front of the screen, but the projection crew would probably have had me committed.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 23, 2018 at 10:34 am

Here’s the ad. It was a real thrill to know it was coming to Radio City, and a real thrill to actually see it there.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 23, 2018 at 10:28 am

Thanks, Robert. I saw it there in May 1975, about three or four times in the same week.

RobertEndres
RobertEndres on May 23, 2018 at 10:13 am

We beat ‘em both when we ran it at Radio City. Our screen was 70’ so there!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 23, 2018 at 10:08 am

I know. That’s how I found out the screen at the Stanley Warner (60') was 10 feet wider than the one at the Ziegfeld (50'). Apparently those Experience ads ran all across the country in 1970.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on May 23, 2018 at 9:46 am

I love the detailed description of the “2001 Experience”. Makes me want head over there now!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 23, 2018 at 9:13 am

Yes, the Stanley Warner in Paramus was a great place to see Star Wars, and 2001 as well. I remember running up to see the Jupiter sequence from the front row.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 23, 2018 at 9:04 am

In the summer of 1968, I tried to get my family to walk from Radio City Music Hall to the Port Authority Bus Terminal by way of the Capitol. We had just seen The Odd Couple. I badly wanted to show my little brother (who is now 55) the marquee for 2001, which I had seen there about a month before. But my mom knew that was not the shortest way to the bus terminal, so my plan failed.

vindanpar
vindanpar on May 23, 2018 at 9:02 am

I saw that marquee all the time because I was going to shows frequently. It played there for over a year which is especially astounding when you consider it was a continuous playing non roadshow run and was already running everywhere else.

I saw it at the late great Stanley Warner on route 4 when it’s orchestra was still intact and not yet multiplexed though it’s balcony had been.

Star Wars might have been one of the last summer big films to have a limited opening engagement at relatively few theaters.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 23, 2018 at 8:41 am

As 1977 turned into 1978, I waited in vain to see the marquee of the Loew’s Astor Plaza because they were showing Star Wars. They never did show it – the theater was located slightly west of Broadway.

NYer
NYer on May 23, 2018 at 8:24 am

Ha, Bill I can relate, being from NY as a kid I’d watch the Hollywood Christmas Parade on WPIX11 to see the Hollywood marquees and they’d always show The Pantages.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 23, 2018 at 7:06 am

Vindanpar was right about My Fair Lady. The top ticket price was $5.50 every night, going up to $6.50 on New Year’s Eve.

All the roadshows had special New Year’s Eve shows. I used to watch the ball drop on TV, hoping I’d get to see some of the marquees. They always showed the Criterion.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on May 22, 2018 at 1:53 pm

this is the website. Costs though differ over time due to people, conditions, etc. https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 22, 2018 at 1:25 pm

Hello-

to Howard B. do you know if a chart that will adjust for inflation? for instance A Daughter of the Gods produced by William Fox which opened Oct. of 1916 cost a cool $1,000,000 making it the most expensive film made up to that time. what would that $1,000,000 be today?

vindanpar
vindanpar on May 22, 2018 at 12:01 pm

$44.31.

Which I would happily pay today to see a Super Panavision 70(not digital)print with 6track stereo(analog.) I assume this no longer exists.

vindanpar
vindanpar on May 22, 2018 at 11:50 am

Mezz for My Fair Lady at the Criterion was $5.50(I’m pretty sure) for weekend evenings in ‘64. What is that today?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on May 21, 2018 at 2:40 pm

I just calculated inflation online at the federal Dept Labor, for $4 in 1968 and it says $29.27. However, as nice as the Village East is, it isn’t from my understanding (having never been there) the Capitol, so a lesser charge is appropriate.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 21, 2018 at 1:32 pm

Good thing I still have my souvenir program that my dad bought for me at the Capitol on June 15, 1968. Price: $1. Price of each ticket that day: $4. That was a very big ticket in 1968. Similar to the $20 that the Village East is charging now, but it’s worth it.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 21, 2018 at 1:30 pm

Howard: There was no program at the Friday night show. I was hoping for one.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on May 21, 2018 at 1:20 pm

So for those who saw it at Village East (or others reading this thread) is there a printed 2001 program being handed out (or sold)?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 21, 2018 at 12:40 pm

Hello-

I saw 2001 this past Sat. at the Village East. It was ! WOW !. but I noticed three slight rips. why would it have been so horrible if Nolan had repaired the rips. is Nolan saying classic films should never be restored?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 20, 2018 at 9:36 am

NYer: I did talk to Keir Dullea at the latest Chiller. He talked about going to the Cannes Film Festival with Christopher Nolan. He said Gary Lockwood had pneumonia but would soon recover. He didn’t say if they were coming back, but they’d been there together twice before. So the chances are good.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on May 20, 2018 at 8:16 am

Oh gosh. I had heard John Harvey was Ill. I’m sorry to know he has died. He was the nicest person, and the work he put into that Cinerama run in Dayton, I think it was about 1.5 years, was unbelievable. Installing the screen and projectors, which he owned, and then running almost all of the shows himself. His prints of HTWWW and This Is Cinerama were as gorgeous as you could ever hope to see. May he Rest In Peace!

NYer
NYer on May 20, 2018 at 7:33 am

Hey Bill, fellow Chillerite…Chillerer? Always on the lookout for you and look forward to your photos on the site. Was disappointed for the push back of the new 4K/Blu-ray but it’s for a good reason, the theatricals. Glad you enjoyed it so much. Did you meet up with Keir Dullea? Did he say if Gary Lockwood is OK since he cancelled and will they be back in the spring?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 20, 2018 at 6:38 am

I saw How the West Was Won at the New Neon in Dayton, OH, and it was quite a special presentation. At the time (1996) it was the only theater in the United States equipped to show real 3-strip Cinerama. The man behind the Cinerama revival, John Harvey, just died earlier this month. Fans of Cinerama have a lot to be grateful to him for.