Capitol Theatre

1645 Broadway,
New York, NY 10019

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on June 16, 2014 at 6:49 am

BobbyS, the Warner Cinerama was the Strand. http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/2975

William
William on June 16, 2014 at 6:27 am

Remember the “How the West Was Won” was 3-panel Cinerama which had a 6 perfs to the frame and 70MM had only 5 perfs. So the 3-panel presentaions had a larger screen to the 70MM. When the Capitol Theatre became a Super Cinerama house in 1962, the screen was 3000 square feet and was louvred.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 16, 2014 at 4:28 am

I’m giving the edge to the Cinerama screen at the Capitol. Something about the curve, the way it just enveloped you. Really amazing.

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 15, 2014 at 9:40 pm

I have tried to get Warner Cinerama page and only got Warner theater which of course is gone. How did the screen at the Capitol compare to todays IMAX screens?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on June 15, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Hello-

thanks to William for the tech info. a additional question. I don’t know what the dimensions of the screen was when How The West Was Won played here starting April 1963. to which my question- when Cheyenne Autumn opened here Dec. 1964 how much of the screen that the HTWWW projection covered was covered by CA projection?

also I wanted to ask a question about The Greatest Story Ever Told so anyone who is knowledgeable about the Warner Cinerama please take a look at that page. thank you.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 15, 2014 at 5:52 am

Thanks Jfg718 and William for describing the Capitol screen so vividly, bringing me back to the one and only time I saw it, “2001: A Space Odyssey”, 46 years ago today. I too think it was the largest screen I’ve ever seen, even after all these years.

William
William on June 14, 2014 at 5:04 am

For the film to use the full Cinerama screen the studio would have to pay a surcharge. And with that surcharge they can present the film in Cinerama on the Full Cinerama screen plus use the Cinerama name in ads. The three lists I have seen show that this was just a standard 70MM presentation. The Full Cinerama screen at the Capitol Theatre was 90' x 33'. All Super-Cinerama houses had an extra stop for their masking console in the booth: Cinerama / 70MM / CinemaScope / Flat or Wide (1:85).

Jfg718
Jfg718 on June 14, 2014 at 12:37 am

While I can’t recall using “cinerama” in the ads, I can tell you I saw Cheyenne Autumn at the Capitol during Christmas week 1964 and I recall it being projected on as large of a screen as I had ever seen. If memory serves me correctly when the red curtains opened it revealed a screen from floor to ceiling encompassing about the entire length of the theater. I remember the overwhelming size since I sat in the first row! So it’s quite possible the screen had the same dimension as the cinerama screen used for How the West was Won.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on June 13, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Hello-

its nice to know the sending of messages has returned. i guess the disruption will remain a mystery.

now a few weeks back i mentioned i was 99% sure that Cheyenne Autumn which opened here Dec.1964 was a single lens Cinerama film or as the ads would said- “presented in Cinerama”. i had no newspaper ads or mail order forms to back my 99% certainty. now my fellow posters have stated in reply that this was not the case. so trying to figure a reason for my 99% certainty maybe i read an ad that said something like “see it on the giant Cinerama screen” since the Cinerama was still up maybe they figured lets use it as a selling point.

William
William on June 13, 2014 at 12:37 pm

For a film to be presented in Cinerama, the studio had to sign and pay a surcharge to do so. The D-150 system had the same surcharge for presentations. And my messages just started up again like everyone else in the last few days.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 29, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Hello-

Opps I forgot to add an interesting note.for about a month now I have not received any messages in my inbox that theaters in Manhattan that I am on the list for have received new comments. these notes on Cheyenne Autumn being an example. I only realized they were posted because I looked this page up.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 29, 2014 at 12:30 pm

to Peter A.–

thanks for the info. one’s memory does play tricks on you and I guess this is an instance. I don’t know why I thought this. its just i swear I can
remember seeing an ad in a NYC newspaper at the time of its opening. oh,well.

NYer
NYer on May 3, 2014 at 9:31 am

“Cheyenne Autumn” New York Times premiere ad posted in photos. No mention, including The Times review mentions Cinerama, only Super Panavsion 70.

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on May 2, 2014 at 5:45 pm

No mention of Cinerama in either LA or NY engagements:

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on May 2, 2014 at 5:41 pm

I don’t think so. It was filmed in SuperPanavision 70 and tech credits around the Internet say that it only had regular 70mm prints. Why do you think it was billed as a Cinerama presentation?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 2, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Hello-

i hope my fellow fans of the late but great Loew’s Capitol/Cinerama can answer a question. John Ford’s “Cheyenne Autumn” opened the fall of 1964 on a reserved seat engagement. this is where my question comes in. i wouldn’t bet my next paycheck but i am 99% certain that the film was one of the 10 or so single lens Cinerama films. now i can find no newspaper ads or copies of the mail order form and like stuff online to bolster my claim. so was “Cheyenne Autumn” one of the 10 or so films presented “in Cinerama” or not? again i’m 99% certain it was.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on April 12, 2014 at 7:48 pm

bigjoe59, the film was not the whole show. A fourth week was rare at the Capitol in the early thirties.

Cimarron
Cimarron on April 12, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Upload 1935 “Escapade” MGM promo ad.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 8, 2014 at 11:49 am

Hello-

a question for my fellow fans of the late but great Capitol. nowadays big films will open on 2 to 3 thousand screens on the same day. now in Manhattan every so often one of these big films will stay at a theater or two for quite some time. which brings me to my question. in the photo section is an ad for “Mata Hari” that states at the top “held over for 3rd and final week”. to which did films at the Capitol during this period never play for all that long no matter how much of a hit they were?

Cimarron
Cimarron on April 6, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Uplaoad Pic of 1935 “A Tale Of Two Cities” in Photo Section.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 5, 2014 at 9:33 am

That rave review makes me want to see the movie again, even though I just saw it a few months ago in its 3-D incarnation.

To quote form the review “…the comicalest of all is Bert Lahr with an artistically curled mane, a threshing tail, and a timid heart. As he mourns in one of his ballads, his Lion hasn’t the prowess of a mow-ess; he can’t sleep for brooding; he can’t even count sheep because he’s scared of sheep. And what he wants is courage to make him king of the forest so that even being afraid of a rhinocerus would be imposerus. Mr. Lahr’s lion is fion.”

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on April 4, 2014 at 4:55 pm

I think Bill’s comment is accurate.

MGM agreed the results were less than expected and early tracking showed a lack of adult interest. “PINOCCHIO” did twice the business.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 4, 2014 at 4:49 pm

According to a book called “The Wizard of Oz: The Official 75th Anniversary Companion”, the movie did above average box office business in 1939, but failed to break even due to its exorbitant production costs. The same thing happened to “Cleopatra”, the top box office attraction of 1963 but forever branded a flop. “Oz” did recoup its costs and start to show a profit ten years later, due to a very successful nationwide rerelease in 1949. MGM promoted it as the “most requested” of its hits from years past.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 4, 2014 at 2:22 pm

The internets are your friend.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 4, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Hello Again-

I am now more confused than ever. I have read on more than one occasion that The Wizard of Oz which opened at this theater never really ignited the box office even after MGM tried various catchy ad campaigns and its books only entered the black when it was sold to t.v.. Al A.’s reply seems to confirm this. yet Mike’s post makes it seem like it was a big box office hit. so which is the case?