Loew's Capitol Theatre

1645 Broadway,
New York, NY 10019

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on May 20, 2018 at 4:26 am

No sadly I was never in the Capitol. I saw 2001 during the 1990s Cinerama revival at the New Neon Cinema. Fantastic, but not the same as your experience at the Capitol.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 19, 2018 at 12:42 pm

Mark, where did you see it in Cinerama? Hope it was at the Capitol.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on May 19, 2018 at 12:35 pm

That’s exciting news! Thanks Bill.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 19, 2018 at 4:42 am

Just got back. The 73rd time turned out to be one of the best. Our projectionist introduced himself before the show. He said that the patrons who’d never seen it were in for an unforgettable Friday night. He wasn’t kidding.

The print was beautiful. About 3 or 4 scratches, but they only reminded you that you were watching a 70mm print. Some scenes were darker than I’d become used to, but it made the colors more intense. The volume level was exactly what a fan of the film would want.

I went with my cousin. We saw it together in 35mm in 1969, and he didn’t like it. Tonight, he liked it.

If you’ve only seen 2001 on video, it’s a completely different experience in 70mm. It really is the ultimate trip.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on May 19, 2018 at 1:55 am

73 times? Holy crap! That’s amazing. I think I’ve seen it about five times and once in Cinerama.

markp
markp on May 18, 2018 at 10:43 pm

Bill Huelbig, as a long time projectionist, Ill be curious to hear your assessment of the print condition. I know if I was running it at the E Walk or Lincoln Square, it would be perfect.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 18, 2018 at 8:01 pm

Here is the 12/14/2001 ad for the Astor Plaza engagement of 2001.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 18, 2018 at 3:23 pm

Yes, tonight at 7:30. I’m wearing my Stanley Kubrick t-shirt. This will be my 73rd theatrical viewing of the movie. 8 times in Cinerama.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on May 18, 2018 at 3:04 pm

Bill, it will be great to hear your impressions of the new print then! Are you going today?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 18, 2018 at 3:02 pm

I saw 2001 at the Astor Plaza during its engagement there in the year 2001. The print was not too good, and the intermission was cut out and the two halves were spliced together. It was still a great show. The sound was especially powerful.

I must have seen 2001 at the Ziegfeld at least 15-20 times.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 18, 2018 at 4:41 am

There have been complaints about the Ziegfeld’s decor and color scheme, or about the 50-foot-wide screen not being big enough, but to each his own. I’ve loved the Ziegfeld ever since I saw West Side Story there in 1970.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on May 17, 2018 at 10:37 pm

I actually saw 2001 at the Zeigfeld during one of it’s late life “classics” programming between first-run engagements maybe 10 or 12 years ago.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on May 17, 2018 at 10:35 pm

a few old timers assert Ziegfeld was not as good as prior roadshow houses. I will note the Astor Plaza would’ve also been a great house for 2001 new print. The print will later play at Museum of the Moving Images in Queens.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 17, 2018 at 10:03 pm

Hello-

to Bill H. thanks for noting the 7:30 show is
sold out. I made sure to reserve a seat for the
show most convenient for me.

since you mentioned it- why isn’t the late but
great Ziegfeld not liked by many members?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 17, 2018 at 7:39 pm

I only regret that the Ziegfeld is no more. 2001 would most likely be playing there starting tomorrow. I know the Ziegfeld isn’t well liked by a lot of members here, but I always loved it. It was a very sad day for me and the many other Ziegfeld fans who went there on its last day with their cameras, and their cherished memories.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 17, 2018 at 1:18 am

The 7:30 show on Friday at the Village East is sold out. I realize this should be posted on the Village East page, but 2001 will always be identified with the Capitol.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on May 15, 2018 at 10:33 pm

As to 2001 new print, read the Chicago Sun Times article that I linked above.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 15, 2018 at 9:24 pm

Hello-

two items-
*the Village East has shows every 3hrs. 10mins.
so they could fit in a 15 maybe 10min. intermission.

*since has articles have stated the film hasn’t been restored or remastered will I notice visual and audio imperfections?

markp
markp on May 15, 2018 at 10:46 am

bigjoe59, the reason 2001 is opening at city cinemas and not AMC LS or Regal 42 is because they have in house manager/operators whereas the other two do not, and need myself and my crew hired. As I stated a few weeks ago, if the film is booked by the theatre companies, there is less chance of AMC or Regal getting it. If its booked by the film companies, then those two theatres and myself are usually on the scene. I so wanted to be able to run this, but so far……

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on May 15, 2018 at 12:25 am

2001 does NOT have the footage edited by Kubrick after world premiere. Perhaps City Cinemas Village East has included intermission time. Chicago’s Music Box has same running time as prints we’ve seen. Compliments to new print here https://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/2001-a-space-odyssey-returns-looking-just-as-audiences-saw-it-50-years-ago/

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 15, 2018 at 12:00 am

Hello-

to Bill H. if its only at the Village East so be it.
i just looked at the site and noticed something
interesting. the Village East site gives the running
time at 2hrs. 44mins.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 14, 2018 at 11:23 pm

I’m pretty sure it’s at the Village East only.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 14, 2018 at 10:18 pm

Hello-

oops! I meant to say Cinema 1 not “here”.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 14, 2018 at 10:18 pm

Hello-

another thought on the 50th Anniversary. no matter how WOW the new print supervised by Nolan is are they opening it here or the Village East because the Loews auditorium at the Lincoln Square and auditorium 12 at Regal 42 St. can’t show 70mm?

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on May 14, 2018 at 12:26 am

A live clip of the credits and applause for Nolan and the daughter of Mr. Kubrick