Fortway Theatre

6720 Fort Hamilton Parkway,
Brooklyn, NY 11219

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on June 27, 2005 at 11:07 am

cineplex odeon took over around 1987 as i was the DM for the take over..

TomCoca
TomCoca on June 27, 2005 at 10:38 am

Regarding the bowling alley, it was immediately to the right of the Fortway theather. A small door led down a flight of stairs to the alleys. There were only about 10 lanes.

Theatrefan on June 26, 2005 at 11:33 pm

The Brooklyn Public Library has a picture of the Fortway from 1942, unfortunately it does not come up online, I guess I will have to trek over to Grand Army Plaza for a photocopy.

Where was the bowling alley exactly? All I seem to remember is before the CVS Pharmacy, it was an Associated Supermarket.

Theaterat
Theaterat on June 26, 2005 at 11:21 pm

Theaterfan…. Cinema Odeon took over the Fortway in 1992, and it has been downhill ever since.Also, prior to the Cinema Odious…ER, ment Odion, this theater was open in the daytime. It switched to evening shows about 4 tears ago, but wes open for afternoon shows on the weekends and holidays

Theatrefan on June 26, 2005 at 7:26 pm

And they got to run it until the 1998 merger with Loews Theatres. This also means Loews Cineplex ran the Fortway Theatre the last seven years of it’s Life.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on June 26, 2005 at 12:30 pm

cineplex took this over about 1987

Theatrefan on June 26, 2005 at 11:56 am

The Fortway in the 70’s & 80’s was run by Golden Theatre Management, Does anyone know when Cinplex Odeon took over the Fortway?

I know Cineplex took over the RKO Century Circuit in September 1986, which gave them control over the now closed Kenmore & Kingsway Theatres.

Also this was one of the few theatres to be equipped for 70mm films in Brooklyn along with the RKO Century Kingsway.

Theatrefan on June 25, 2005 at 11:38 pm

It always was better to see a flick here than the Alpine. I wonder if it did good business, the final year they only had evening showtimes on weekdays.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on June 25, 2005 at 11:24 pm

Always liked this theater !

Theatrefan on June 25, 2005 at 11:09 pm

I emailed Loews Cineplex Entertainment about what exactly had happened to the Fortway Theatre, this is the responce I had gotten back from them:

“Unfortunately, we have returned the theatre back to its landlord. In
the long term, this plan will make our circuit stronger and more profitable.”

BklynRob
BklynRob on June 25, 2005 at 10:34 pm

I am totally shocked & saddened to hear of the Fortways closing. I had no idea. As a former resident of Bay Ridge I visited the Fortway frequently. I always preferred it over the Alpine. I can remember seeing Easy Rider for the first time at the Fortway. In fact I remember the theater before it became a mutliplex. They use to show some great horror flicks there back in the 70’s. I just hate to hear when a movie theater closes. Very sad. Goodbye old friend.

Theaterat
Theaterat on June 25, 2005 at 3:21 pm

The Fortway theater is now OFFICIALLY closed. May it rest in peace. Thanks for the memories.

Theatrefan on June 25, 2005 at 1:02 am

lostmemory, where exactly do you get this type of information? I try using the ACRIS & BIS lookup, but I am unable to get such detailed information. By the way in ACRIS I do see that the mortgage was held by RKO Century Warner, I wonder who bought the Fortway?

Theatrefan on June 23, 2005 at 10:10 pm

Other theatres in the Interboro Ciruit included the Canarsie, Park, Kismet, Bershire, Coliseum, Sumner, State, Harbor, Ritz & the Lincoln as well as the Fortway. The tagline for the Interboro Circuit Brooklyn Theatres was “Always The Best In Entertainment”.

Theatrefan on June 23, 2005 at 2:32 am

Went by the Fortway tonight, it’s gone for sure. The side Marquee signs that read Cineplex Odeon Fortway have been taken down & the front of the marquee where the Cineplex Odeon letters and Fortway name were have been taken off and painted an ugly gray color to obsure the name. The marquee now basically sits blank, it does not even say “CLOSED”.

All of the poster cases outside and in the lobby are now empty, as is the mylar sign above the entrance doors that used to give you the name of the films playing and their repective showtimes. The security gates in front of the theatre were rolled up & all the lights were on.

As I walked around the building I saw two men working inside carrying theatre equipment into a car, I guess what ever can be salvaged is going to either the Alpine or Kings Plaza, the only two Loews Cineplex theatres left in Brooklyn. Pretty soon you will never be able to tell the Fortway was ever a Movie Theatre at all. I wonder if the Marquee will be kept in the new design?

Farewell Fortway, Thanks for entertaining generations of Brooklyn movie fans, we will miss you!

Theatrefan on June 22, 2005 at 7:42 pm

What is to be the fate of the Former Cineplex Odeon Fortway theatre, here is the listing straight from the [url=http://consumeralertsystem.com/cas/zx-hclick.php?hid=32]Massey Knakal website/url], it is as follows:

6720 Fort Hamilton Parkway, Brooklyn, NY (On the Corner of Fort Hamilton Parkway and 68th Street) Under Contract
Commercial Buildings,Special Use,Outer Boroughs
Rent is competitive!!A two story, 33' theatre delivered vacant located on the corner of Fort Hamilton Parkway and 68th Street. The 21,866 SF building is zoned C1-1 overlay of a R5 zone. The FAR is 1.25. This former movie theatre is being converted into first class retail/office space. On-site, underground parking will be provided. The space is available immediately; units from 1,000 to 40,000 square feet are being offered either as shell space or on a build to suite basis. Asking Price: Competitive Rent Representative/s: Timothy D. King

RobertR
RobertR on June 22, 2005 at 6:47 pm

Obviously Brooklynites like sitting in the mundane, filthy Sheepshead Bay.

Theatrefan on June 22, 2005 at 6:21 pm

It is with great sadness that I inform everyone here that the Cineplex Odeon Fortway Theatre has closed. I spoke with Loews Cineplex directly, they said it’s no longer their property and the lease was up so they had to leave. In the final months they only showed movies on weekdays in the evenings and one of the upstairs theatres was closed for repair.

The last films that played here were: The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl in 3D, The Honeymooners, The Longest Yard & The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

Another Brooklyn movie theatre is nothing but a memory now. Now all that we have is the Alpine and with the pending merger who knows how long that will last?

At least I have all my great memories of seeing great movies at the Fortway. Farwell Fortway, may you Rest In Peace!

Fortway Theatre 1927-2005

TomCoca
TomCoca on June 14, 2005 at 3:28 pm

Lots of talk here about the organ. There was also a baby grand piano on the right side, in front of the screen. In the early years silent films were shown here. My grandfather was hired to play piano along with the films. When I went as a kid it was 50 cents to get in…cartoons and double feature. The balcony was usually closed. Purple tiles and a scale to weigh yourself for a penny in the men’s room. I wonder if the purple tiles are still there. Saw Sinbad, Psycho, The Graduate, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and the Ali-Forman fight live here, as well as countless other movies. Fortway Bowling next door and downstairs in the fifties and early sixties. Last time I passed in the nineties it was a gun club.

jbels
jbels on April 25, 2005 at 8:22 pm

The last time I was there the floors were a complete mess. I remember seeing the revival of House of Wax in 3-D when I was a kid and being blown away by the paddle-ball scene. Used to go up there every week in the summer too when they had their Disney double features. Other memories include Dog Day Afternoon and Monty Python and The Holy Grail.

Theaterat
Theaterat on April 21, 2005 at 6:52 pm

The Fortway was a fairly nice theater in the mid to late 60s. It featured Roman style columns against the side walls and a domed celing withstars on a blue background. There was also some tile work in the lobby and a fountain-not a drinking one, but a display one. I never saw it work. I remember seeing the Sunshine Boys here in 1976 with a full house, bur I went back several years later when it was “plexed”. I went to see ET The Extraterrestial. I know I am going to take a lot of heat for my comment, but I actually HATED this film.I found it to be a pretentious and very saccharine little movie, obviously aimed at a juvenile audience.Never understood all the hype over it. Anyway, I went several times more to see films like Sophies Choice, The Return of the Jedi,Ghostbusters,Die Hard,and others. This plexjob was absolutely awful and now ranks with the Alpine as one of the worst theaters I have ever been to.The theater is onlyn open at nights now, bur they open in the afternoon on Saturday and Sunday.I understand it has been sold to a developer, and new housing or a medical center will be built.The unofficial nickname of this theater is the “Fartway”.

Theatrefan on March 27, 2005 at 3:44 pm

Theatre 3 is currently closed off from showing movies, one of the theatre employees had told me the roof over that auditorium had sprung some leaks and the ceiling tiles had started to fall down on the patrons. I also noticed scaffolding going up against the back wall of the theatre, so perhaps they are doing emergency roof repairs. My guess is they will not be able to find a buyer for this building if the roof is still leaky, they must shore up the leaks if they want to get the 4.5 million asking price.

Theatrefan on March 16, 2005 at 9:17 pm

It wasn’t until March of 2004 that the Fortway finally switched over from the old Pacer-Cats system to the much newer Radiant touch screen terminals, they even kept issuing the old Cineplex Odeon tickets for years after the merger with Loews in May of 98. When Loews Cineplex still had their contract with Moviefone, you were not able to pick up your moviefone tickets at the Fortway’s Box Office, but you could at the Alpine.

RobertR
RobertR on March 10, 2005 at 9:48 pm

Theres a few more Im sure that will close soon also. Anybody driven by the Marboro? That too will wind up just another plex.