New 400 Theaters

6746 N. Sheridan Road,
Chicago, IL 60626

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on November 26, 2008 at 8:56 pm

Robin,

I think it is official. The Fandango website is now showing it as “Visionary Theatres” View link

So the name of this theatre should be “Visionary Theatres”.

Robin Roz
Robin Roz on November 24, 2008 at 2:45 pm

On line reviews are now showing it as Visionary Theatres.

itzawrap
itzawrap on November 16, 2008 at 7:54 pm

Does anyone know how I can obtain a picture of the 400 Theater to use in a tribute video about my parents for their upcoming 59th anniversary?

They met at the 400 in 1946 and used to go there to see films while dating. They were married in late 1950.

Also needed are some stills of Sullivan High School from that same era.

I must complete the editing by Nov 25th 2008. Contact me at:

Your help is much appreciated.

itzawrap
itzawrap on November 16, 2008 at 7:54 pm

Also needed are some stills of Sullivan High School from that same era.

I must complete the editing by Nov 25th 2008. Contact me at:

Your help is much appreciated.

CatherineDiMartino
CatherineDiMartino on October 31, 2008 at 3:16 am

Update, the one in Blountville is now a Nova Cinemas, per Yahoo Movies.

CatherineDiMartino
CatherineDiMartino on October 31, 2008 at 3:13 am

The Glenwood is another Village Entertainment cinema that’s up for lease, but apparantly still operating.

Village had some cinemas in the south. The Pemberton was clsoed a few years ago, but apparantly has re-opened. And Nova Cinemas (according to Yahoo Movies) now operates either the one in Blountville or the one in Bristol.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on October 31, 2008 at 1:28 am

The 400 was another one that in the `80’s had midnight runs of the “Rocky Horror Picture Show”. I heard from a friend that it was pretty much a free for all, where attendees threw their toast and what not with no apparent intervention by management.

I seem to remember they did get a crack at some pretty good 2nd run films at one time. Maybe even first run since the closest theatre still operating in the 90’s was the Adelphi.

The only film I remember seeing at the 400 was some indie action romp, starring John Matusak formerly of Oakland Raiders and “North Dallas Forty” fame. He died not long after the film was released. So maybe 1988 or so.

The Oasis was/is a 4am tavern just across the street on Sheridan. It was pretty much necessary after that.

aek316
aek316 on October 30, 2008 at 11:19 pm

If Village isn’t dead, it’s on life support! I read online recently that the city was evicting Village Entertainment from Village North over the summer. Based on Catherine’s above post, it sounds like someone else is already running the theater currently. And of course, we all know that Village was also recently evicted from North Riverside. Classic Cinemas took it over, and did many renovations to it in a month that Village never did in 2 years! As posted on this site, I think a Bollywood chain runs Lincoln Village and Bloomingdale. Isn’t that all the theaters they had left? Lest we forget the website that hasn’t been updated in 3 months…

Truly amazing. Evicted from two different theaters?! Who ever heard of such a thing?! It is truly a shame. I have gotten a real education on the Village chain per this site. Sounds like they bought a lot of great theaters with lots of life left in them and they either killed them or got kicked out of them. It’s a nice story that Classic Cinemas took over and renovated North Riverside. Too bad they couldn’t have saved more of these theaters like Biogrpah and Water Tower, etc. Oh well, guess I’m beating a dead horse here…

CatherineDiMartino
CatherineDiMartino on October 23, 2008 at 7:53 am

I called the Village North’s telephone number. According to the recorded message, it is no longer the “Village North”. Instead, it’s now called “Visionary Theatres”.

Methinks Village Entertainment is no more.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on August 12, 2008 at 1:05 pm

Hey,

I will be in the area on Thursday, so I will probably go & see a movie here. Is it still a decent place?

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on June 7, 2008 at 4:28 pm

I don’t know why they feel they need to screw with it. Last time I was there it was a really nice little plaza.

mp775
mp775 on June 6, 2008 at 2:04 pm

This line is somewhat more distressing:

“Fox said he is satisfied with the property’s current mix of tenants, though ADC does have an eviction order pending against the operator of the theater.”

Broan
Broan on June 6, 2008 at 12:10 pm

A somewhat distressing plan to replace terra cotta with reinforced concrete

Cam
Cam on April 6, 2008 at 11:50 pm

Sam Burrows managed the 400 Theatre — now called the Village North — through most of the 1980s. At one point, in about 1980 — Burrows no longer remembers exactly when — a very old woman walked up to the box office.

“Excuse me,” she said. “I have a free pass to this theatre. I think it may have expired, but I was wondering if you would still honor it.”

She handed him her pass. It read:

Admit One
REGENT THEATRE
6746 N. SHERIDAN ROAD
When Accompanied With One Adult Paid Admission
TO ANY PERFORMANCE
Up To And Including April 17, 1925

Needless to say, he let her in.

A scan of the pass can be seen at http://www.mekong.net/random/freepass.htm

aek316
aek316 on January 31, 2008 at 3:00 pm

And the clock continues to tick! Village’s website has expired! The site is pending renewal or deletion. The company must be on it’s last legs to have their website expire! I better run out to their theaters while I still can! I’ve never been to Village North or Lincoln Village and haven’t been to North Riverside since Village took it over-

CatherineDiMartino
CatherineDiMartino on November 26, 2007 at 3:50 pm

Tick, tick, tick…that’s time running out for Village Theatres!

Adoresixtyfour
Adoresixtyfour on November 26, 2007 at 12:01 pm

I saw “The Mist” at the Village North this past weekend. the theater was clean enough, but the staff was indifferent (they left me and several other patrons standing on the sidewalk until five minutes before showtime), the bathroom was poorly maintained (how do you run out of paper towels five minutes after opening?) and it wasn’t well heated (a sign in the window said they were having “problems with Peoples Energy”). I would chalk this up as a bad day at a good theater if I hadn’t had a near identical experience at the Lincoln Village a couple of weeks before. That points to poor management. I hope Village North survives—I believe it’s the oldest active movie house in Chicago, and it would be a shame to see it go.

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on November 22, 2007 at 4:22 pm

OMG, there’s actually an ad for the Village North in the Sun-Times today!

CatherineDiMartino
CatherineDiMartino on November 15, 2007 at 10:21 pm

Well, they finally updated their website. Braaaaaa-vo to Village Entertainment for not letting people know which movies were playing at their theatres for the past 6 weeks!

(Must be those stealth movies I’ve heard so much about)!

CatherineDiMartino
CatherineDiMartino on October 19, 2007 at 2:27 pm

Village has not updated its website since September 21, 2007. What’s that all about?

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on October 18, 2007 at 8:06 am

Cinemark Fan,

You should combine that with a trip to see the Lincoln Village. All you have to do is take the 155 bus west from Sheridan/Devon. Do this while you still can. That is, while these theatres still exist and the bus route still exists.

Speaking of which, how will the proposed horrendous CTA/PACE/Metra cutbacks affect your movie-going? For me it will likely mean no more trips to the LaGrange, the Tivoli, the Lake, the York, etc. Sports-wise, it will likely mean no more trips to the Schaumburg Flyers and far fewer trips to the Chicago Wolves.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on October 18, 2007 at 1:22 am

At least they want to keep the movie theater. I’m still planning to get down there to check it out, and go to that pizza place a few blocks away.

Broan
Broan on October 7, 2007 at 12:18 am

Architects were Grossman & Proskauer.

ACEngel
ACEngel on September 15, 2007 at 1:03 am

Speaking of theatres in Rogers Park, in the late 1950’s there were two I recall being open; One on Morse Avenue, just east of the “L” on the north side of the street. I believe the building is referred to now as Cobler’s and the second is on Devon just east of Clark, now the Clark-Devon Hardware. I live in Miami now and came across this website by accident and found it interesting as I looked at the theatres I went to that, unfortunately, are mostly closed or gone. Of course the grand ladies were the Granada, the Century and the Uptown, with the Adelphi as a special place with the “star” ceiling. Is the Uptown still being considered for opening again? With the neighborhood upgrading, the theatre would be a grand addition back in business.