Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood

6360 Sunset Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 901 - 925 of 1,232 comments

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on January 8, 2008 at 7:19 pm

I’m pleased to say I just got my ticket and although in the center I am near the back. Tickets really are almost gone.

The comments about only a single screening are valid. Read one of my comments from 2002 where I mention THE WILD BUNCH played in 70mm for 6 weeks at the Dome BEFORE it was renovated.

JSA
JSA on January 8, 2008 at 5:50 pm

I agree with Chris: Rizzo, I would like to thank you for aswering my goofy questions and keeping us informed.

Another factoid: This is the first time in decades that “2001” will screen in 70 MM at two Cinerama theatres (i.e. the Dome and Seattle) during the same week. JSA

Flix70
Flix70 on January 8, 2008 at 3:41 pm

It’s nice to see “2001” screening at the Dome. Would it have killed Archlight and AFI to extend it for a weekend? It is the 40th anniversary afterall. They do have 12 other screens to showcase all the other crap. They seem to forget that the Dome is a palace that desrves to host a little royalty beyond one-night stays. The last “classic” to have an extended run(a weekend or more) was “Alien” in 2003. That’s five years ago. Prior to 2002 when it was just the Dome screen, at least a dozen classic films had extended runs every year.I’m talking week-long festivals that coexisted with current studio bookings. And they were always packed. In a span of one year, I saw Apocalypse Now, River Kwai and Close Encounters. You’ve never seen any of those films until you’ve seen them at the Dome. It’s sad that today’s generation can’t experience classic films on its concave screen beyond one night. I don’t know about you but given the choice of screening “Star Wars,” “Raiders of the Lost Ark” or “Lawrence of Arabia” on my 65" TV or on the Dome screen, the Dome wins every time. Archlight prides itself on being the movie lover’s choice. It would be nice if they actually showed movies we love.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on January 8, 2008 at 12:20 pm

Rizzo: Is there any way for us who are Cinema Treasures regulars who will be attending “2001” to meet you before the show so we can touch bases and whatnot? I’ll be there with 15 other members of my movie club(s) and we’ll be having dinner at the Arclight Cafe at 6:30 PM.

Let us know.

JSA
JSA on January 7, 2008 at 10:15 pm

Thanks Rizzo. Sounds like it’s going to be a good show. My only request is that please allow a reasonable break time during the intermission!

JSA

JSA
JSA on January 6, 2008 at 10:40 pm

Rizzo,

You had mentioned some time ago that the Dome was no longer setup for reel-to-reel operation, thus effectively eliminating the possibility of screening quality 70 MM prints. Has the situation changed?

JSA

JSA
JSA on January 4, 2008 at 10:49 am

I have the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

JSA

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on January 4, 2008 at 8:55 am

I’VE GOT MINE!!!! WOOO-HOOOO!!!

JRandell
JRandell on January 1, 2008 at 11:41 pm

The Dome is considered a “historical landmark” by the city so I believe a renovation to put in a mezzanine-level booth isn’t legally allowed, even if Pacific wanted to spend the money to do it (this is the reason that the seats are still crappy). And if they could, they wouldn’t because 90% or more of the patrons only care about “BIG SCREEN!!” and not about the improvement in quality it would bring from a lower projector and shrinking the screen for digital and 35mm.

KramSacul
KramSacul on January 1, 2008 at 6:03 pm

If the projection angle was lowered or only the top of the screen was used the picture would be much improved. The lack of light and cross reflections would probably remain though.

R2D2
R2D2 on January 1, 2008 at 4:39 pm

Regarding the recent discussion about image distortion… Isn’t the distortion a result of the high projection angle more so than the curved screen?

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on December 27, 2007 at 8:08 am

Thanks, Rizzo…I think.

JSA
JSA on December 26, 2007 at 11:25 pm

I attended a 70 mm presentation of “2001” at the Dome back in the early 90’s. To me, the distortions were tolerable, with the notable exception of Discovery’s image during the “Jupiter Mission” segment, as described by Kram a few postings above. To say it looked like a “banana” is kind. But in the end, the good outweighed the bad: the landing at Clavius and the entire “Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite” sequences were absolutely spectacular. I was engulfed, or rather “enveloped” by the huge images on screen and the terrific soundtrack. Because this film has influenced me in many ways, I would definitely make the trip to the Dome if it plays there again.

JSA

KramSacul
KramSacul on December 26, 2007 at 7:26 pm

Actually the Dome’s problems are not limited to geometry distortion which is visible from any seat. There’s also cross reflections, the loss of vertical picture info in the middle of the screen, and the lack of light. 70mm probably helps quite a bit there though.

IMO 1.85:1 films are much more tolerable in the Dome but the light problem is a deal breaker, even if it’s being projected in 2k. It’s just too dim.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on December 26, 2007 at 3:54 pm

Thanks, Rizzo.

One reason why I’ve never witnessed the distortion for myself: in almost 17 years of being a Dome customer, I have managed to always sit in the center section…never on the far left/right sections. Everything looks alright to me from a center POV.

Another question, Rizzo: any chance your bosses will browse this thread since a few folks seem to have an idea on how to fix the distortion issues?

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on December 26, 2007 at 12:02 pm

There always was some distortion when “2001” is shown on any Cinerama screen; this was true even during the original engagements simply because it was filmed in Super Panavision 70mm, rather than three-strip Cinerama. From the projection point of view, the center of a Cinerama screen is further away than the sides, and even with custom projection lenses, when a single strip 70mm film is projected onto a screen such as this it is difficult to compensate for this fact. Essentially what is happening is that a rectangular image is being projected onto a curved surface. (Tape an old 35mm slide to the lens of a flashlight and point the beam onto something curved; the problem will be obvious).

When the decision was made to go to 70mm for Cinerama exhibition (initially with It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World") there was an attempt made to minimize the distortion by filming in Ultra Panavision and then using what was called “rectification.” Ultra Pan does use an anamorphic squeeze and the rectification process altered the squeezing during the film printing process by reducing it gradually across the printed frame so that there was most squeezing at the sides and gradually less until at the center of the frame there was none. This helped reduce but did not eliminate the distortion at the sides when the film was projected. (This process is described in detail on Martin Hart’s excellent “Widescreen Museum” website in the Cinerama section).

Films shot in Super Panavision (and some other processes such as Super Technirama) were shot on 70mm stock without using an anamorphic lens and these prints were never “rectified” for Cinerama showings as far as I know.

The degree of distortion is also affected by whether the film is being projected on a classic, louvered, deeply-curved Cinerama screen or one of those installed in the 1960s or later (including the one at the Dome) that were not quite as deep.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on December 26, 2007 at 9:59 am

Arclight just launched their own message board as part of their site. I wonder what would happen if all of us registered on it and made enough of a ruckus about how they’re mismanaging the programming at the Dome. Do you’d think they’d listen?

As far as “Sweeney Todd” showing at the Dome right now, I have no beef with that. I’ve seen it twice (BEFORE it was released) and I can declare that it’s Dome-worthy. The only thing missing is the fact that Tim Burton shot it in 1:85 instead of 2:40.

Speaking of which, do films shot in 1:85 have the same distortion issues?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 26, 2007 at 9:12 am

The Star Gate sequence is at its most spectacular on a curved Cinerama screen. Sit in the front row for the full effect!

KramSacul
KramSacul on December 26, 2007 at 5:14 am

I guess you’re right. It has it’s nostalgic purpose. The distortion is godawful though. Prepare to see a bannana-shaped Discovery.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 25, 2007 at 7:43 pm

Kram said:
>> Why would anyone want to see 2001 on the Dome’s smile-vision screen?

Because it’s a Cinerama screen, and “2001” was shown on Cinerama screens exclusively when it first came out in 1968. It was meant to be shown on a screen like the one at the Dome. I wish we had one here in the New York area. Even though Arclight doesn’t seem to be taking full advantage of it, Los Angeles moviegoers are lucky to have that screen.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 25, 2007 at 5:39 am

Cliff, what’s playing in the Dome? National Treasure is #1 movie, so I don’t understand why they didn’t open it in the Dome in place of whatever is playing there (which could be shown in one of the other screens).

Cliffs
Cliffs on December 25, 2007 at 3:48 am

While I won’t debate or defend technical problems with the Dome, I will say I still enjoy the Dome because it’s one of the last big screens available in Los Angeles/Hollywood. Movie lovers in most towns would kill to have a screen like the Dome, but unfortunately have to settle with the latest Carmike/AMC googleplexes. Unfortunately for us though, Arclight treats it just like screen #1 of a 15 screen plex. I would love to see Arclight rotate some of their new releases a bit more. In a week such as this one with a ton of new openings, why not run Sweeney Todd in the Dome on Friday, National Treasure in there on Saturday, maybe run Charlie Wilson’s War in there on Sunday, and then run your Christmas Eve showing of Gremlins in there on Monday? I’m not saying you have to do it that way every week, but why not try some variety? National Treasure is going to be the number 1 movie this weekend, and there’s not a single large theater showing it in LA. The fact that they feel Sherman Oaks is adequate to show Close Encounters is embarrassing (ditto for Scarface, a film so successful when they DID run it in the Dome a few years ago, they actually had to hold it over).

KramSacul
KramSacul on December 24, 2007 at 7:06 pm

Why would anyone want to see 2001 on the Dome’s smile-vision screen?

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on December 24, 2007 at 10:44 am

I call Sherman Oaks “Arclight Lite.” It’s literally a smaller version of Arclight Hollywood – but they went too far trying to replicate Arclight Hollywood’s lobby at the Sherman Oaks location. “Cramped” is an UNDERSTATEMENT!

Cliffs
Cliffs on December 21, 2007 at 4:54 pm

Oh, and it appears tickets for Close Encounters have gone one sale…

At the Arclight Sherman Oaks!!!!

Hey Rizzo, does Arclight know that they actually own the Dome?