Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas

6360 Sunset Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 926 - 950 of 1,099 comments

terrywade
terrywade on August 8, 2007 at 9:51 am

The gift store in the lobby of the Pacific Arclight no longer sells Cinerama shirts. The rude lady told me they took a bath on them.I don’t think so. I have seen many people with them in the last few years. They had many styles with the Cinerama logo. They don’t even sell the new Cinema Treasure book that has the Cinerama Dome in it. I asked about the book she never heard of it. Of all places to sell this book this is the place. the Pacific people don’t care about Cinerama anymore. In the LA Times the theatre is just called the Dome. Why not call it The Cinerama Dome. They can put in the little logo for Cinerama. At one time the Seattle people and the Pacific guys wanted to restore all the 3 proj prints. Is this ever going to happen?

William
William on August 4, 2007 at 11:46 am

The ArcLight is running “Hairspray” Sing-A-Long version now. Enjoy!

KramSacul
KramSacul on August 4, 2007 at 4:40 am

Well, I’ll take your word for it. There was no curtain show when I saw Ratatouille last month though. Probably to accomadate the stage show.

I know this is OT but it’s pretty neat how the El Capitan’s screen operates. I wonder how big the screen speakers are as they must go up and down with the screen.

exit
exit on August 4, 2007 at 3:48 am

Mark, actually the El Cap did not discontinue the curtain show. All 3 curtains are still there, I’ve seen them all used in the usual manner within the past few months, and the management has confirmed they’re all still in operation. The curtain opening is preprogrammed, and if they have the screen in front of one of the curtains (as was the case for a couple of the 3-D features) or the stage show set precludes use of all three curtains, if one of them is being cleaned or replaced, or whatever, then they can’t do it. The Pirate movies had their own curtain show, (and their own curtain).

I never said I despise ArcLight, just that they don’t live up to their hype. One is just as likely to be bothered by inconsiderate people there as anywhere else, and though they make a big show of staying inside to check on things, they really don’t monitor the audience for disturbances, even when they are in there. The new seats AMC put into Universal are way more comfortable than ArcLight’s. (though the new Uni lobby is hideous) For the record, ArcLight happens to be the closest plex to me.

KramSacul
KramSacul on August 4, 2007 at 1:39 am

Actually the El Capitan doesn’t have the grand curtain opening preshow anymore. Apparently they stopped doing it a a few years ago, around the time of the first Pirates movie. Now there’s just one yellow curtain that rises and falls between the stage show and trailers. It’s still a very nice curtain though.

Roadshow, if you despise Arclight so much why did you go there? It would be like me going to an AMC theater.

exit
exit on August 3, 2007 at 7:55 pm

Mark, I know what you mean about the Bruin, but the Majestic Crest is designed opulence from the marquee to the screen, so it beats the hell out of the Bruin. Disney has no need to notice the Crest’s presentation… their El Capitan has a great opening curtain and light show… by the same designer as the Majestic Crest. The Crest is an example of what Joe Musil could do without interference from the Mouse Factory.

And speaking of the ultimate curtain show, Me. Musil’s Musem of Theatrical Design in Santa Ana has a theatre with something like a dozen curtains! Makes the El Cap look like a puppet show. The Crest/Hairspray page you were were looking at has a link to his website. He’s ahveing a show Saturday with clips from movie musicals, and his museum has an entire wall dedicated to designing and outfittng the Crest.

Hwd9, I am no expert but I can recognize fake audience surrounds (it was one of the first surround sound I ever heard decades ago) I have to warn you that the last time ArcLight’s zero decor “Black Box” showed GREASE (with Director Randal Kleiser present) either the print was flat mono (highly unlikely) or the surrounds weren’t even turned on. Sounded like loud mono. Part of the problem is most of the “black boxes” are wider than they are long, so the surrounds are probably too far apart to be noticed. Just don’t expect much from GREASE.

ArcLight is just SO FAR away from being what they say they are…. but more of that will surface elsewhere later.

KramSacul
KramSacul on August 1, 2007 at 5:41 am

The Crest certainly looks like great eye candy but the auditorium looks a lot like a jazzed up version of the Bruin(ie shoebox shape with a screen at the end). An opening curtain show sounds great though. Disney should take notice.

Not going to defend the Dome’s projection/screen problems although the sound can be VERY GOOD when the planets align, which is kind of rare now. LOTR 1 sounded INSANE.

exit
exit on July 31, 2007 at 5:36 pm

When I tried to see HAIRSPRAY at the unpublicized midnight preview, I had a run-in with an arrogant manager, and got a ticket to return later. I said I’d just wait until CHUCK & LARRY got moved to the back, because HAiRSPRAY would inevitably end up in the Dome, and she swore that HAIRSPRAY would NEVER play the Dome again. She also swore that her staff never allowed feet on the seats and always looked for disruptive patrons. Wrong on every point.

Went back to the Dome yesterday afternoon and found HAIRSPRAY a joy, but the picture was dim and fuzzy as usual because of Pacific’s bad projection decisions. You can read more on that elsewhere… I have also never found the Dome’s sound system to be particularly impressive. Sure it’s loud, but I don’t ever remember hearing much in the way of discrete channels or high fidelity. Ditto the ArcLight’s “Black Boxes”…

I still want to see Hairspray at the Crest. Their picture will be sharper and brighter than the Dome’s. For More on HAIRSPRAY at the Crest and a look at the interior, Visit View link There will eventually be an in-depth review of Arclight/Cinerama Dome there, among other theatres.

KramSacul
KramSacul on July 27, 2007 at 9:12 am

Well, according to Arclight’s website Hairspray is now playing in the Dome.

HAIRSPRAY is playing in the Dome.

THE SIMPSONS MOVIE is not.

Not a joke.

exit
exit on July 26, 2007 at 6:59 pm

ArcLight has no sense of showmanship, it’s all about money. They booked that awful comedy then the Bourne picture and Put HAIRSPRAY in the back. They had one Thursday night Midnight screening of HAIRSPRAY in the Dome but kept it a secret by not mentioning it in their weekly newsletter email or the features column on their site. The only LA theatre playing the film that can match the big, splasy colorful HAIRSPRAY is the Majestic Crest in Westwood.

JSA
JSA on July 18, 2007 at 1:17 am

You’re welcome!

The last time the Dome screened 3-strip Cinerama, they opened the booth to the public after the show. It was awesome to see the 3 projectors!

JSA

JSA
JSA on July 11, 2007 at 7:37 pm

The picture above is for a Cinerama camera, not a projector. The Dome has 3 35 mm Cinerama projectors.

JSA

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 25, 2007 at 9:07 am

Note to Max from Brazil – let me know if you come to LA. My wife is from Rio, and we were actually in Sao Paulo last month. We would be more than happy to show around LA and Hollywood.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on May 25, 2007 at 6:00 am

Arclight is expanding. The Sherman Oaks Galleria 16 is becoming the Arclight Sherman Oaks. The theater will remain open during phase one and will close in August and reopen during the holidays. More on the arclight website.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 16, 2007 at 7:06 pm

“I’m afraid I can’t let you do that, Chris”.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on April 16, 2007 at 8:28 pm

“2001” is 40 years old next year. They’ve gotta run it here!

JSA
JSA on April 16, 2007 at 4:06 pm

Michael: “FSTDVD” keeps getting better. Thanks for keeping us up to date!

I agree with you 100%, Bill. I chose to skip the 1995 engagement, taking it for granted that the Dome would screen “2001” every few years or so! The last time I saw the film in its entirety was at the Cal State Long Beach Performing Arts Center, in 1996. It would be cool if Warner decides to strike new 70 mm prints for the 40th anniversary of “2001”. Maybe screen them at the Uptown in DC, the Ziegfeld and the Dome.

JSA

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 14, 2007 at 12:25 pm

Michael: Another stellar job. Thanks so much – and thanks for the new picture of “2001” at the Capitol, which I hadn’t seen before.

I think 12 years is way too long a gap between “2001” screenings at the Cinerama Dome.

Coate
Coate on April 14, 2007 at 4:38 am

I posted this before on Jan. 17th, but I wanted to mention to those readers with an interest that my historical list of Cinerama presentations in Los Angeles has been updated.

[bill Huelbig: you’ll be pleased to know that your all-time favorite film has been given two additional entries on the list! Granted, they were “D-150” presentations at the Egyptian Theatre that are being included on a technicality. Other revisions have been made to the list as well.]

We also now have posted on our site a companion list of Cinerama presentations in New York City which I will predict that some of you Cinema Treasures regulars will eat up.

tarantex
tarantex on March 23, 2007 at 3:51 pm

Does anyone know where the Manager of the dome is Jim Sutton?

Bway
Bway on February 18, 2007 at 12:03 pm

Here’s a link to a photo of the Cinerama from the sky:

Bway
Bway on February 17, 2007 at 5:48 am

Is this the place that’s almost right next to the Ameoba Music store?

mfuhlendorf
mfuhlendorf on February 14, 2007 at 5:37 pm

Thanks a lot.

I’ll always keep an eye on this forum, I might get lucky and be on vacation when they show the next Cinerama spectacle. I’d not think twice before hopping on a plane.

And David,
I’ve always read about the Cinerama Dome and since I’ve never been in Hollywood, I want to visit it for other reasons beside it (Chinese Theater for example), but I want that trip to coincide with a Cinerama movie at the Dome :D

I’m not in a hurry though, and it’s great to know that the Pictureville Cinema shows “This is Cinerama” every Saturday!! I was in fact planning an Europe trip by the end of this year, and England was on the top of my list (a big plus, it’s one of the few countries north of the equator where brazilians aren’t considered potential terrorists, and don’t need to jump thru fiery hoops to get a visa :). Now, last week I saw “The Queen”, and I felt an urge to hop on a plane and go to the British Isles immediately… Helen Mirren’s Elizabeth accent is flawless, I just loved the movie and its delicate storytelling.

Thanks to all,

Max M. Fuhlendorf
Sao Paulo, Brazil

JSA
JSA on February 14, 2007 at 5:11 pm

Max,

More than likely, Pacific would advertise a Cinerama screening on the Arclight web site. Previous engagements were advertised in the LA Times, but not with a lot of fanfare. Also, I’m pretty sure that someone will post it here as well.

JSA