AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6

301 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

moviebuff82 on December 2, 2007 at 7:55 am

I still have a ticket from the old AMC in Rockaway back in the spring of 2001, my only visit to that theater. The price of a matinee showing was $5; since the rockaway 16 opened, it’s jumped nearly 50%. The color of the ticket was blue instead of the red (the blue is only used for advanced tickets), and was the amc in rockaway the first to have advance ticketing in morris county? Back then, amc used to own two theaters, one of which was sold to clearview and still operates to this day (morristown). The movie I went to was on the last day of March of 2001, a 1:40 p.m. showing in theater #3. Was that theater the largest of the 12?

blacknoi
blacknoi on July 18, 2007 at 8:07 am

If anyone has any pictures of the Outer AMC Theaters BEFORE their 1994 renovation, I’d love to see them.

I never actually set foot in the Outers prior to the overhaul and would love to see what it looked like.

moviebuff82 on July 17, 2007 at 1:49 pm

thanks, Greg!!! That theater still looked the same in those photos as the last and only time I went there Greg. I saw Exit Wounds in theater 6, since they showed a Dolby Digital trailer before the movie. Boy how ticket prices have jumped in five years between the closing of the old AMC and the new one, which is much bigger and advanced than its predecessor in terms of projection, sound, seating, and size, not to mention parking.

blacknoi
blacknoi on July 17, 2007 at 12:28 pm

Pictures of the Outers, from 7/12/02

Hope you like them.

moviebuff82 on July 17, 2007 at 12:19 pm

thanks for the photos greg!!! I never been to the inner theaters before (I only went in the outers), seems those theaters weren’t as popular as the outer theaters, which had better sound and projection and survived longer than its smaller sister, which was next to a Liberty Travel store and was right across from Primetime Playhouse, which is now the Game Room. The inner theaters were gone, but the arcades live on, and at the AMC in Rockaway (the new one), their game room is smaller than the one at the mall.

moviebuff82 on July 17, 2007 at 12:11 pm

Using research from Google, the AMC Rockaway 12 used Cinemeccanica Victoria 5 projectors for the length of its business at both theaters. By the way, when did the old theater open? I knew it opened sometime in the late 1970’s around 1978 and “Rocky” was one of the first movies to be popular at that theater for quite some time. In less than two weeks, it will be five years since the first generation Rockaway theater closed down and nearly 10 years since the inner theaters closed down, both replaced by Best Buy and FYE as well as other stores. Next year will be 30 years since Rockaway got its first taste of movies as AMC entered the still new Rockaway Mall with Morris County’s first multiplex.

blacknoi
blacknoi on July 17, 2007 at 12:08 pm

I just uploaded the pics I have of the Inner’s here:

Enjoy

blacknoi
blacknoi on July 17, 2007 at 11:50 am

I used to work at the Outer 6 for several years. Both theaters were 35mm projectors. I cannot remember the make, but I believe they were Italian projectors bought in the 70s.

Outer 6 theaters had 6 screens naturally. 2 @ 180 seats, 2 @ 300 seats and 2 @ 335 seats (approx).

One screen, #6 had Dolby Digital and Sony’s SDDS. The rest of the screens had SDDS only (in addition to the analog sound).

The concession stand was redone around 1994 from its original design to the design that was used up until the theater’s final day of operation: July 28, 2002.

The tile that was in the back of the concession stand was the dark brown “brick” style that used to cover the entire floor of the Rockaway Mall (prior to its renovation sometime in the late 80s or early 90s I believe).

This dark brown tile can still be seen at the Pet Store in the Rockaway Mall, downstairs by Sears infront of “Pet-Pourri.”

moviebuff82 on April 18, 2007 at 9:01 am

Thanks for changing the title of the theater!!! I was confused when it said Rockaway 10. It was a twelve-plex, not a tenplex like the soon to be extinct Route 4 theater. From what I read on sites related to 70mm presentations, both theaters in and out of the mall were not 70mm, just 35mm with Dolby Stereo, which later went to Dolby Digital as well as other sound formats, including the Surround EX that’s used in all the auditoriums at the old theater’s successor. Back in the day, the old theater used to have twilight shows, which made the theater one of the most popular in Morris County until Parsippany and East Hanover came in with their own movie plexes. The only movie I saw there was “Exit Wounds” in theater 5 with digital surround sound and an analog pre-show.

moviebuff82 on December 29, 2006 at 10:16 am

Which is better…the old AMC Rockaway or the new one? I prefer the new one.

moviebuff82 on November 19, 2006 at 1:38 pm

What were the seating arraignments for the Rockaway theaters before it was closed and rebuilt as a 16-plex this year?

moviebuff82 on November 15, 2006 at 2:20 pm

I’ll be there sometime next week…btw, was the old rockaway outer 6 70mm ?

jedifunk
jedifunk on November 15, 2006 at 2:15 pm

I’ll be there Sat or Sun!!

moviebuff82 on November 15, 2006 at 12:48 am

And so the movies return to Rockaway…

moviebuff82 on November 10, 2006 at 6:29 am

November 17 is coming!!! I can’t wait!!! When the new theatre opens, I will put up a page on Cinema Treasures dedicated to the new Rockaway 16, in addition to the Rockaway 10 theaters.

girldetective
girldetective on October 1, 2006 at 6:08 am

States that the theatre will open on November 17!

moviebuff82 on September 17, 2006 at 7:52 am

Just went by the theatre today and looks like the exterior is completed but the interior is still under construction. The AMC logo is visible from route 80, so moviegoers who want to see a movie take the exit for the rockaway mall and drive by the stores and enter the large parking lot. Any other stats on the theatre, which will open just in time for the latest james bond movie?

JJD
JJD on September 12, 2006 at 7:32 am

David, If you go to their website (www.amctheatres.com), click on “Contact Us”, then scroll down to “Send us a Letter”, you’ll find their address (AMC Theatres, P.O. Box 725489, Atlanta, GA 31139-9923). I don’t know about you but I’m interested not only in the quality that digital provides, but also (and specifically) the 3D capability that goes with it. I drove down to Jersey Gardens (from Denville) just to see the 3D version of “Chicken Little”, but swore I would not do it again for “Monster House”. If you contact AMC Theatres, please make the bid for 3D as well. Thanks. JJD P.S. I also tried to get an IMAX added to the site…with no luck. I was tired of driving to W. Nyack, NY. I wrote to IMAX, Simon, and the Mayor of Rockaway. All graciously responded. My suggestion has been forwarded to somebody’s “Planning Department”.

jedifunk
jedifunk on September 9, 2006 at 8:00 am

Thanks for the update JJD. Could you forward that AMC contact info? I bet their “Planning Dept” would love to have more suggestions to support this issue. Every time I go to a premiere at Jersey Gardens, the digital screen line is always much, much bigger than the regular screens. Don’t they see this? And they wonder why the attendance is down overall. Why spend that money, wait in line, suffer through commercial for something paid for, sit in dirty seats, watch a fuzzy screen and hear lousy sound…when most of the people who fill those seats can watch it with a better picture and sound at home?!!? Forget about us guys with THX sound and HDTV at home. When I hit that mega million, I’ll build a 100% digital theater where Peter & Steven will want to premiere their movies at my place!

JJD
JJD on September 6, 2006 at 3:08 am

Justin and David, I contacted AMC directly and they told me the new theatres in Rockaway will not “open” with digital projectors but that they are committed to expanding their digital technology plans. They also said they would forward my suggestion to install digital projectors to the Planning Department. I wrote back and told them I was “shocked” that they could build a new complex and not include the latest technology. It will be everyone’s loss since digital 3D is the future and, so far, has done better than the 2D versions. Doesn’t the Planning Department already know this? What’s wrong with this picture? Answer: It won’t be in 3D.

jedifunk
jedifunk on September 1, 2006 at 5:48 pm

I e-mailed the reporter from the daily record article..
I asked if during his contact with the AMC rep if digital projectors were mentioned, and if not, to send me a contact e-mail or address so I could ask directly.
All I got was a read receipt and no response…very rude.

moviebuff82 on August 10, 2006 at 12:48 am

this should be worth the wait come october…

moviebuff82 on July 2, 2006 at 1:09 am

According to the AMC website, the theatre is scheduled to open sometime in the fall of this year. Any updates on the construction and what the theatre will offer when it opens?

moviebuff82 on June 17, 2006 at 8:03 am

You’re right, Dave.

jedifunk
jedifunk on June 13, 2006 at 2:41 pm

My wife works in the new section of the mall near the new theater, and her manager said it should be opening in the Fall sometime. If the project started on time they would of had a great opening with Superman and Pirates.
I hope they are smart enough to put in some digital projectors. The trek to Edgewater or Jersey Gardens is a pain.