Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 76 - 100 of 3,937 comments

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 8, 2013 at 6:05 pm

This letter to the Times was written by the future producer of “Airplane!” and “Robocop”. He blames MGM for the shortening of “2001” and the addition of the title cards, but all those decisions were made by Kubrick.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 8, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Talk about a spoiler alert. This article in the 4/28/68 NY Times supposedly quotes Stanley Kubrick as he gives away the entire ending of “2001”, explaining it for those in the audience who found it hard to understand. Hard to believe he would do that.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 8, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Reserved seat engagements were so common in 1968 that here’s an advance order form for a movie before its theater had even been booked. It wound up being the opening attraction at Loew’s State 2.

StanMalone
StanMalone on February 8, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Reade owned the US rights to War and Peace. In Atlanta we ran it as a midnight show in August 1972 and March 1973. Intermission at 3AM, out at 6:30AM. Included in the ticket was breakfast at the coffee house across the street for anyone who made to the end. 23 reels if I remember correctly.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 8, 2013 at 5:10 pm

April 28, 1968 ad for War and Peace at the DeMille. Loge seats were $7.50, surely a record high price at the time, but it was for a two-part, 6 ½ hour movie.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on February 8, 2013 at 2:19 pm

To Al A.–

thank for mentioning the two/three a day reserved seat engagement of TLTIP at the Trans Lux East.i had forgotten about it. it was always my opinion that United Artists opened the film on such an engagement to give it prestige. such a engagement was certainly not mandated by the cost of making the film.

also thanks about the “party room” mention on ticket order forms for the Demille’s roadshow runs. i can swear i remember seeing “divans” on its ticket order forms. oh, well. i was maybe 99% certain.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 8, 2013 at 1:52 pm

The DeMille did not advertise Divans but they had ‘party room’ seats for “THE SHOES OF THE FISHERMAN”.

The last true extended reserved seat two or three a day run I have found in NYC is “LAST TANGO IN PARIS” at the Trans-Lux East (Gotham).

dennisczimmerman
dennisczimmerman on February 8, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I am pretty sure Divans is another word for loge. Most roadshow theatres named the seating – orchestra, loge, and balcony. I see in the ad for 2001 at the Capitol they list orchester, divans, and balcony. The loge or divans were the front section of the balcony. Most balconys have a “cross aisle” so the section in front of the aisle closet to the screen was either the loge or divan section. If you notice, the price of that seat location is the highest. The section behind the idea was considered balcony and the cheapest seats. In some theatres the orchestra and loge/divan were priced the same. However, that was not always the case. “2001” at the Capitol was an experience I will always remember. I saw it a second time when it moved over to the Warner Cinerama (downstairs theatre). Although it was still an experience, it was not the same. Of course it is still better than the experience of movie going today. There was nothing like seeing “Presented in Cinerama or 70MM or Super Panavision 70 in the advertisement. Now they advertise wall to wall screens, which in a "shoe box” is not exactly a big deal!!!

StanMalone
StanMalone on February 8, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Question for Vito: Did your previous comment mean that the year long run of “Fiddler” at the Rivoli was 35MM? I always assumed that it was 70MM.

As for the “roadshow” subject: In Atlanta, any 70MM required two operators or one man at time and a half. Same for any reserved seat engagement even if it was 35MM. At the Walter Reade Atlanta, where I was working, they started out reserved seat for both Fiddler and LaMancha and changed to reserve performances once the crowds died down although LaMancha was dead from the start. They still used the hardticket but seating was open and only one operator was required.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 8, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I think I have an ad for the 1968 roadshow of War and Peace at the DeMille. I’ll look for it tonight and we’ll see how much they charged for the divans.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on February 8, 2013 at 12:46 pm

It wasn’t long before before mass releasing on “showcase,” “flagship” and “blue ribbon” platforms.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on February 8, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Hello-

i am certain that when the Demille was one of the premiere roadshow houses in the Times Square ares they also had “divans” listed as a section on the ticket order forms.

if i am not mistaken after the roadshow run of “Fiddle on the Roof” at the Rivoli the fall of 1971 the remaining such engagements to open in the big Times Square houses were “Nicholas and Alexandra” at the Criterion Dec. 1971 and “Man of La Mancha” Dec. 1972 at the Rivoli. also to be included is the roadshow run of “The Trojan Women” at the Fines Arts the fall of 1971.

i guess the lackluster receipts for the roadshow engagements of “Man…..” was the proverbial final nail in the coffin. the studios subsequently discontinued the policy.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 8, 2013 at 10:52 am

No box seats, at least not after the remodeling for Cinerama. Cinerama would’ve looked terrible from a box seat anyway.

LuisV
LuisV on February 8, 2013 at 10:44 am

Ha! I initially thought it was a different term for a box seat but I don’t think the Capitol had them, did they? I never had a chance to see a film here. Just a bit before my time.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 8, 2013 at 10:22 am

I’d never heard of it either. In fact, back in 1968 I had no idea what kind of seats we were going to be in. I always thought a divan was a couch or something.

LuisV
LuisV on February 8, 2013 at 10:08 am

Was that peculiar to The Capitol or did other theaters have Divan sections. I’m just amazed that I haven’t heard of it before. I love it though!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 8, 2013 at 9:42 am

Saps: It was the greatest moviegoing experience of my life, before or since. I don’t think anything will ever come along to top it.

Luis: My dad and I sat in the Divans. As far as I could figure out, it was the front row of the upstairs section, with the front mezzanine right behind. At intermission we both wanted to move down to the front row downstairs, but with all the assigned seating, ushers, etc., we figured we wouldn’t be able to. Maybe we should’ve tried anyway, but it was still an overwhelming show from the Divans.

LuisV
LuisV on February 8, 2013 at 9:34 am

What’s a Divan???? I’ve never seen that in a theater ad!

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on February 8, 2013 at 9:30 am

It must have been magical to see 2001 on that big Capitol screen.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 8, 2013 at 9:22 am

Here’s proof that I remembered those showtimes correctly!

Vito
Vito on February 8, 2013 at 8:54 am

Al As a matter of fact it was the roadshow engagement of “Fiddler On The Roof” in the early 70s which was shown in 35mm that ended the pratice. Theatre owners balked at having 2 men for a 35mm prersenation which resulted in ending roadshow premiums altogether. Interestingly “Fiddler” marked the beginning of the end of Roadshows as we knew them. And Yes Bill sometimes the running time would dictate an 830 show instead of 8 following a mid afternoon matinee

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 8, 2013 at 8:07 am

Now that I think of it, my only New York roadshow was most likely a three-a-day: “2001” at the Capitol, 6/15/1968. We went to the 1:30 PM show. There were probably two more, at 5 and 8:30.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 8, 2013 at 7:08 am

Vito, you forget the extra men in the booth contracted for any movie labeled a “Roadshow”. These extra costs helped expedite the demise of the practice as the box office revenue could not justifying the costs and exhibitors found ways around the union contracts.

Vito
Vito on February 8, 2013 at 3:01 am

Bill, that was common practice in the roadshow days. There were many variations but often M-F we would have two a day at 2 and 8 then depending on the run time of the picture on Sat and Sun 3 shows at approximately 2-5-8 Those roadshow engagements were a kick to do not only because they were a heck of a lot of fun but the hours wee magnificent. Weekdays we would go to work at 7 and be done by 11, on top of that we got a premium pay rate. So yup, good times.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 7, 2013 at 6:39 pm

November 11, 1970 ad for Ryan’s Daughter at the Ziegfeld. Three shows a day on Fri-Sat-Sun.