Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 76 - 100 of 4,057 comments

rasLXR
rasLXR on October 6, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Any technical fault with the sound processor and the back up system provides basic left and right channels only. Any amp problems could result in the surround being dropped as it is the least vital channel. This is how I have to keep the show going in the past. Just possible reason for no surround during your show.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on October 6, 2014 at 3:01 pm

It is a 4k projector but I don’t know what model. In all films, surround sound comes from Ziegfeld’s surround speakers. NO surround during my screening of The Master. I would’ve heard the ocean & so forth! Gone Girl’s audio was a special treat.

Giles
Giles on October 6, 2014 at 1:12 pm

I’m honestly not sure why Paul Thomas Anderson chose 70mm to film ‘The Master’ in – some of the photography looked great, but the subject matter and plot was so off kilter – I didn’t think it enhanced it.

Nor did I find the 5.1 sound that remarkable or memorable.

Blu-ray.com states that even the blu-ray disc “The DTS-HD MA 5.1 track reproduces Greenwood’s score with a forceful presence that takes full advantage of the surround array. .

Major effects such as the ocean or the interior of a naval vessel are noteworthy, but in general The Master’s mix goes for subtle environmental ambiance that doesn’t draw attention away from the visuals."

Howard: ‘Gone Girl’ is actually mixed in 7.1, so even though I haven’t seen it yet, I’d assume the mix would be much more prevalent and aggressive than ‘The Master’s’

question: is the digital projection system still the NEC projector or did it change when Bow Tie took over?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on October 6, 2014 at 12:31 pm

For me, it was the movie itself. I know it got 3 Oscar nominations for acting, but I found it almost unwatchable. Projection and sound were fine, as they usually are at the Ziegfeld.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on October 6, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I saw The Master at the Ziegfeld. Projetion was excellent. There was no surround sound, which is the complaint. Surround is normally excellent as it was yesterday for Gone Girl which I saw there.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 6, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Hello Again-

I always wondered what the comments referred to. I always assumed it was on the quality of the projection and sound. so are all the comments about The Master’s screening at this theater about the film itself or the projection and sound?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on October 6, 2014 at 11:52 am

I just thought it was a bad movie. Even 70mm couldn’t save it.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 6, 2014 at 11:49 am

Hello-

I saw The Master its opening weekend at the main auditorium of the Village East Cinemas on 2nd Ave. and 12t St.. the 70MM projection and sound were first rate. what went wrong at the Ziegfeld since everyone seems to be commenting on it.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on October 6, 2014 at 10:41 am

Too bad about no 6-track magnetic. But the very fact that the newest big sci-fi epic will be playing at the Ziegfeld in 70mm is cause for celebration. It’s like 1977 and “Close Encounters” all over again. This should make up for the lousy experience that was “The Master”.

Vito
Vito on October 6, 2014 at 4:50 am

Thanks for that clarification. When it was told to me that mag tracks were back I questioned in my mind if that were even possible with most if not all labs basically no longer even geared up to produce the tracks let alone sound them. A call to a friend of mine at Deluxe who told me “We don’t do that any longer” I had thought the info about mag sound came from a good source however now cannot find anyone to confirm the return of mag sound and in fact a few locations I contacted conformed that the prints were not mag. Sorry for the confusion I will be more vigilant in confirming info posted here in future to ensure validity

Giles
Giles on October 5, 2014 at 11:48 am

Brad Miller from over at Film Tech states the sound IS NOT mag sound

Vito
Vito on October 4, 2014 at 6:00 am

Additional investigation has me confused the stories about the sound format are conflicting I shall look further and perhaps others will a well. I may have been given inaccurate information.

thebrat
thebrat on October 4, 2014 at 5:49 am

Where did you hear about the sound being 6-track mag? Give us your sources because those two links said the sound on 70mm prints is digital.

Vito
Vito on October 4, 2014 at 5:40 am

Two Interesting articles on Interstellar

Also of great interest is the news that the sound on the 70mm prints is 6 track magnetic not DTS and 35mm four track prints are also available with the Carthay Circle Theatre planning on one of the prints being shown will be 35mm Magnetic, How fun!

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on October 4, 2014 at 4:19 am

Giles I really don’t I guess I need to look it up

Giles
Giles on October 2, 2014 at 11:02 pm

‘Mike’ you seriously don’t know nothing about Christopher Nolan’s ‘Interstellar’? I find that hard to believe. Or were you talkimg about ‘The Master’?

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on October 2, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Anyone know if by some chance they fixed the curtains?

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on October 2, 2014 at 6:19 pm

I thought the last film filmed in 70 MM was The Master. I know nothing about this film.

mhvbear
mhvbear on October 2, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Looks like 35mm prints at the Chelsea and Union Square. I am surprised either one still had 35mm equipment.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 2, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Hello-

I do hope Interstellar gives this theater a nice boost. but is it really necessary to order tickets in advance? since the studios started opening films at 2,000-3,000 theaters on the same I don’t think its necessary. I have found that no matter how well received a film is critically you know you’ll get a seat even on Sat. and Sun.. in the past few years the only time I have seen a substantial crowd was the day after Christmas 2012 when I saw Les Miserables. the theater was approx. a 3rd full.

mhvbear
mhvbear on October 2, 2014 at 11:48 am

Tickets are on sale for the 70mm presentation of ‘Interstellar’. The print version of the film is getting a 2 day jump on the Digital release. Hopefully this will give the old girl a bump. The only other 70mm print will be at the Cinema 1. With the 15/70mm print at the Lincoln Square IMAX. Any 35mm prints in NYC? I didn’t see any listed. https://interstellar.withgoogle.com/ways-to-see

thebrat
thebrat on October 1, 2014 at 1:03 pm

It appears that Interstellar will be showing here in standard 70MM. I hope this isn’t another “The Master” in regards to surround sound.

Please, oh I beg please, Bow-Tie, do NOT fuck this up.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 22, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 22, 2014 at 2:15 pm

According to the New York Times, A Daughter of the Gods opened October 17, 1916 at the Lyric theater; review was headlined: KELLERMANN FILM SHOWN AT THE LYRIC; “Daughter of the Gods” an Elaborate Amphibious Picture for the Submersible Star."

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 22, 2014 at 1:20 pm

to Al A.–

you have always been most kind to help me with my inquiries so I have a good one.I hope you don’t mind me posting it on this page since I have no idea what page would be best. do you know of a site that would convert 1916 dollars to 2014 dollars? the reason i ask is simple. as you know at least 50% of feature films from the silent era are lost. one HUGE film from that era I have always wished would be found is A Daughter of the Gods from 1916 starring Annette Kellerman. it cost a cool $1,000,000 the 1st American film to do so. so I always wondered what that $1,000,000 of 1916 would be in 2014 dollars.