Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 76 - 100 of 4,040 comments

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 16, 2014 at 6:52 am

My dad went to see Apocalypse Now at this theater during that engagement and enjoyed the 5.1 analog surround sound and the movie too. Having watched the movie on DVD I can say that this movie holds up even today.

NYer
NYer on August 16, 2014 at 5:53 am

“The Rose” opened in NY exclusively but also opened on Long Island and New Jersey. “Apocalypse Now” & “Close Encounters Of The Third Kind” were east coast exclusives. Opening ads in photo section.

Coate
Coate on August 15, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Thirty-five years ago today, the Ziegfeld was among three North American theaters to open Francis Ford Coppola’s “Apocalypse Now” in a reserved-performance, guaranteed-seat exclusive engagement. A 35th anniversary retrospective article was posted today at The Digital Bits.

LuisV
LuisV on August 4, 2014 at 6:45 am

While some don’t count it, the 2 week exclusive presentation of Dreamgirls a few years back was a huge success. To this day, it is the greatest movie theater experience I have ever had. The theater was sold out at $25 a pop. I had 10 other friends with me in assigned seats. There were 3 standing ovations DURING the movie when the big musical numbers played. Curtains? Absolutely! Previews or Commericals? NONE! I will never forget it.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on August 3, 2014 at 3:25 pm

The last one I can think of without looking it up was “MOUNTAINS OF THE MOON” in 1990.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 3, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Close Encounters and The Rose were exclusives. I recall being surprised when Barry Lyndon played the Baronet the same time as the Ziegfeld in 1975. Of course I went to the Ziegfeld to see it.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 3, 2014 at 2:18 pm

to Al A.–

as always thanks for your reply. while I am happy this theater is still alive and well as stated in my last e-mail as hard as I have tried I can’t remember the last time this theater hosted an exclusive engagement. so i suppose it had to be before the opening in 2,000 to 3,000 theaters on the same day trend started. for instance were Close Encounters of the Third Kind(Nov. 1977) and The Rose(Nov. 1979)exclusive runs?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 3, 2014 at 2:18 pm

to Al A.–

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on August 3, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Bigjoe59, it may go back as far as “MAROONED” (1969), unless you count the aborted attempts to revive the policy around 2001 by Cineplex Odeon. People refused to sit in their assigned seats then.

robboehm
robboehm on August 3, 2014 at 12:45 pm

What gives? Both Seth and BigJoe have triple entries? How did that happen guys? You can remove the duplicates at your end.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 3, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Hello to Al A.–

you have always been kind to answer my inquiries so here’s a good one that I have not been able to find the answer to but I bet you know it. even after studios abandoned the reserved seat exhibition policy they still opened their “big” films in one maybe two theaters in Manhattan. so do you know the last exclusive engagement this theater hosted? I’m speaking of new films so the Oct. 1996 exclusive run of the restored “Vertigo” doesn’t count.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 3, 2014 at 10:23 am

When Loews merged with Cineplex in 1998, Clearview took over the theater as well as other Cineplex properties.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on August 3, 2014 at 9:18 am

Cineplex Odeon forced distributors to take the Ziegfeld in order to get the Baronet. Not the other way around.

SethLewis
SethLewis on August 3, 2014 at 8:31 am

So many great pictures opened at the Ziegfeld in the 70s and 80s as Manhattan exclusives – Close Encounters, Earthquake, Tommy, The Last Waltz…It wasn’t until the 80s that they started day dating it with an Eastside house…the Baronet, Coronet or Cinema 2, or even the Tower East which is a shame…make people go out of their way for a quality experience

SethLewis
SethLewis on August 3, 2014 at 8:30 am

SethLewis
SethLewis on August 3, 2014 at 8:30 am

mhvbear
mhvbear on August 3, 2014 at 6:10 am

Attended the 1:00 PM show of ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ on Saturday. The picture and sound were impeccable. It as great seeing a film with out presentation issues that I have experienced at the Lincoln Square lately. It was a shame seeing that there was only about 100 patrons at the showing. The comments about being off the beaten path seems strange with the theater only a block from the subway and bus stops and on the cusp of the Broadway theater district. Curious if Dolby ATMOS will be installed especially where the theater is used for most of the premiers held in NYC now. The premiere of the new Helen Mirren film is being held on Monday. The trailers for ‘Interstellar’ and ‘Into the Woods’ looked spectacular on the Ziegfeld screen. The only item missing was use of the curtains.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on July 29, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Star Wars first played at the Ziegfeld as a special edition for all three movies since the Astor played the original saga during its theatrical run in 70mm. The new one coming out is being shot on film then converted to 3d….wonder if they’ll show it this way soon?

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on July 29, 2014 at 2:01 pm

As has been mentioned before here, when the run was not exclusive, the Ziegfeld was out-grossed even by tiny houses like the Baronet and Waverly. The 54th street location even required hired ‘screamers’ for premieres since not enough passers-by mobbed the entrance to see celebrities.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 29, 2014 at 1:00 pm

And how could I forget “Apocalypse Now”? Not only an exclusive run, but a special ticket price of $5. Way above average for 1979. And it filled the Ziegfeld for many weeks.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on July 29, 2014 at 12:51 pm

to Bill H.–

thanks for the other titles from when the studios still used the Ziegfeld for exclusive 1st run engagements. since this theater is the place to see widescreen films that’s why it was frequently sold out years ago. it was the only theater in Manhattan if the not the city playing a film.

which prompts two additional questions-

*as I stated in my post if people had no trouble finding and getting to the theater 20-25 years ago how is it “off the beaten path” today?

*what was in fact the last exclusive 1st run engagement of a studio film at the Ziegfeld? the special 2 week runs of Dreamgirls and The Princess and the Frog before hey opened wide don’t count.:–)

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 29, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Bigjoe59: I went to all the shows you mentioned on their first night or first weekend. They were all exclusive runs, sadly a thing of the past for the Ziegfeld.

I’d like to add “Hair” to your list. It sold out at the Ziegfeld for weeks, yet played to almost-empty theaters when it branched out to New Jersey. Also “Gandhi”. See the comments above for stories about the sold-out Ziegfeld shows during one of the worst blizzards New York City ever had.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on July 29, 2014 at 11:40 am

to robboehm-

I suppose we all have different takes on what’s “off the beaten path”. being a native life long New Yorker nothing is off the beaten path for me.

per you comment the Ziegfeld is only two blocks from Radio City Music Hall. also when the Ziegfeld was still used by the studios for exclusive 1st run engagement people had no trouble finding it. you should have seen the block long lines for Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The Rose among others. likewise the restored Lawrence of Arabia, My Fair Lady & Vertigo.

so if people had no trouble finding/getting to the theater 25 or 20 years ago they shouldn’t have any trouble today.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 28, 2014 at 9:26 pm

I wonder if the income the Ziegfeld generates from being the primary location (the only location, really) for current big studio premieres is the only thing keeping the theater afloat. The day I saw Jersey Boys there, with an audience of 6 people, the usher told me about the full house they had the night before with the premiere of the new Transformers movie, with Mark Wahlberg, etc. in attendance.

robboehm
robboehm on July 28, 2014 at 7:45 pm

BigJoe- Anything other than 8th to Broadway and above 50th is off the beaten path for a go to destination. Music Hall being the exception.