Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 76 - 100 of 4,102 comments

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on November 10, 2014 at 8:43 pm

For those of you who saw the 70mm movie here, did they show anything to denote that the presentation was in 70mm?

Back in the day, I remember there was a short “This movie PRESENTED in 7 0 M M” with the presented in 70mm in flying font like the end credits in Superman or the beginning ones in Superman II.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 10, 2014 at 4:41 pm

There was no “preshow” at the Ziegfeld until Clearview, the last operator before now. Even with a preshow, the curtains were still used. I last saw them used in 2009, for “Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince” I didn’t visit until 2012 as I was seeing movies that were still projected in 35mm elsewhere. I very much like sitting there looking at the closed curtain, so I was also quite happy on Saturday as the curtain was closed for awhile before the preshow began. And, on Saturday, after the preshow, the audience applauded when the curtains closed. The curtains then reopened…and the 70mm show began.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on November 10, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I brought up the ‘70s only as far as the Ziegfeld is concerned. They were the glory days for this theater.

markp
markp on November 10, 2014 at 4:37 pm

If all goes well I will be at the 245 show on Tuesday. Cant wait

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 10, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Our movie theater culture has surely taken a beating and nearly left for dead when we think back to the 1970’s as some kind of halcyon time…

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on November 9, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Went to the 2:45 show this afternoon with three friends who hadn’t been to the Ziegfeld in at least 9 years, since Revenge of the Sith. They all enjoyed the movie, and understood it better than I did. This was actually my third time seeing it – the first time I was totally baffled. Now I’ve made my peace with it and see it for the good movie it is.

I’d like to second what Luis said about the curtains. Funny how such a simple thing can add so much good feeling to the show. In fact, they were closed when we came in, which is unusual. There are usually commercials being played at that time. Seeing those beautiful gold curtains while walking in was like going back to the ‘70s in a black hole time warp.

LuisV
LuisV on November 9, 2014 at 4:06 pm

I attended the 6:45 show Saturday night and the orchestra sections appeared to be about 70% filled. It was the first time I had seen the curtains used in a long time and it brought a big smile to my face and a warm feeling in my heart. My nephew was attending for the first time and he loved it! Another Ziegfeld fan is born!

curmudgeon
curmudgeon on November 9, 2014 at 8:35 am

Why is the use of the curtains not a consistent policy? My experience of visiting this venue was one of “why bother” when I entered the auditorium to be confronted by a blank screen. As to all the techno-heads, the average cinema-goer would have no idea whether or not the image on the screen was 35mm/70mm/digital, so apart from a “very” limited number of “techno heads” will the average customer give a damn?. I found my visit to be one of disappointment, and cannot believe that so many are passionate for what is a very basic auditorium, with no consistency of offering “showmanship”.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 8, 2014 at 9:05 pm

I was there 3:45 PM. No scraches. Gorgeous print. Great surround sound. Curtains used before & after movie.

thebrat
thebrat on November 8, 2014 at 8:33 pm

6:45pm went smoothly. Very immersive, my only complaint was the sound being too strident, a typical Nolan trait. Hardly any dirt, and 100x superior to the 35mm version.

Also I didn’t see the vertical scratch that Tweeter was talking about.

rasLXR
rasLXR on November 8, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Its a film on celluloid folks. If not handled right, you’ll have scratches, blotching, etc etc. Thats why we’ve got digital cough today. :)

Sorry but celluloid went quite a few years ago film stock has been polyester based for a long-time. No scratches is only a side advantage of Digital the prime reason for the change is cost savings all round production, distribution and exhibition.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on November 8, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Everybody going enjoy and be grateful you can see it at the Ziegfeld in 70mm. Where I live in Asheville NC there is no theater that has ever been equipped to show 70MM. What a bummer.

LuisV
LuisV on November 8, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Going tonight! Does anyone know if Into The Woods will open at The Ziegfeld (as most musicals do)?

LuisV
LuisV on November 8, 2014 at 12:46 pm

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on November 8, 2014 at 10:32 am

I’m hoping the movie lasts through the holidays so I can see it here.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on November 8, 2014 at 10:09 am

I did notice a vertical scratch briefly in the middle of the film (lasted for maybe 30 seconds), and some minor other film projection related issues, but for the most part it looked great.

There were no sound issues when I went, though I have heard about those problems with other screenings (IMAX in particular), and since I went to the first showings, it is possible issues have developed since then.

thebrat
thebrat on November 8, 2014 at 8:37 am

Ziegfeld is presenting Interstellar in 5/70 FILM.

Trolleyguy
Trolleyguy on November 8, 2014 at 8:14 am

According to the website, this theatre has all-digital projection. Hard to imagine any scratches occurring.

thebrat
thebrat on November 8, 2014 at 5:43 am

I hear from Twitter that one of the reels at Zig had a vertical scratch for a few minutes. Tonight will be interesting.

markp
markp on November 8, 2014 at 4:37 am

On Motion Picture Technology, there have been reviews and comments coming in from all over the country. There were some comments about sound problems from various venues, but none from New York City. There was one comment about the IMAX in Pallasades Center about dust specs thru the entire movie. And in many venues complaints about scratches. But again nothing yet from the Ziegfeld. Im hoping to go next week either Monday or Wednesday.

thebrat
thebrat on November 7, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Someone on Yelp gave a poor review on Zig’s 70mm presentation of Interstellar. The sound was intermittently cut off. I am anxious because I am in NY and I will be going tonight for the 6:45pm show. Crossing my fingers.

markp
markp on November 7, 2014 at 5:02 am

bigjoe59, yes I know the Zeig doesnt get those exclusive runs anymore, but they do have the movie 3 days earlier than everyone else, and its being shown on film. We all sit here and read everyday the love of film folks like myself and you have, and I just figured it would have been a bigger draw. I walked by yesterday on my way to the RCMH christmas show to check on showtimes for next week. Im hoping to go monday. Even my wife said to me why not just see it in here in Jersey where we go. And I said because I want to see it on film.

rasLXR
rasLXR on November 6, 2014 at 4:18 pm

http://vimeo.com/68830569 Explains aspect ratio’s if you are interested.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on November 6, 2014 at 3:03 pm

My friend was going to see Interstellar in some multiplex on Staten Island, where he lives. I said he should go to the Ziegfeld, and he took my advice. He’ll be there for the first time tomorrow night.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on November 6, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Hello Again-

did I understand correctly that the curtains were
used for the 1st time in God knows how long?