Loew's Metropolitan Theatre

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 12, 2006 at 11:54 am

A rising Hollywood star in her Brooklyn vaudeville debut (January, 1932):
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/metstar.jpg

michelemarie
michelemarie on August 10, 2006 at 11:13 pm

Dear BrooklynJim. Do you remember the State Theater on DeKalb and Franklin Avenues? I went several times with my Dad to that moviehouse. I remember the red oriental rug that was placed on the staircase from the restrooms to the bottom of the stairs. That moviehouse showed first run movies. There was a record store on the same side of the street that faced Franklin Ave and three steps up to the store. I bought Elvis Presley 45’s 78 here I vaguely remember the Peerless moviehouse. My Aunt lived on South Portland Ave in Ft Green and my other Aunt lived on Clinton Ave and Myrtle Ave in the Clinton Houses. We used to go to Cino’s Resturant to eat Pizza. it was on DeKalb Ave. Had great fun as a kid growing up in Brooklyn. Anniegirl

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on August 10, 2006 at 5:00 pm

Downtown B'klyn (Fort Greene & Clinton Hill – check out the Peerless Theater page /7090/ on Myrtle Ave. for some good memories) & ENY (‘46-'78). Your grandmom and grandpa named your father well! :)

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on August 10, 2006 at 4:37 pm

Congrats! You solved it on your own, Anniegirl! The shot was from ‘54, as evidenced by the “wide screen” and “stereophonic” blurbs. (P.S.: Left you a cool link on the Park page.)

michelemarie
michelemarie on August 10, 2006 at 4:36 pm

I found it thanks Brooklyn Jim. My dad’s name was Jim great guy. What part of brooklyn were or are you from. Iam from Williamsburgh Originally, now I live on Long Island with my Husband Lou and our 2 children. Anniegirl

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on August 10, 2006 at 4:28 pm

At the top of your screen is a URL for Cinema Treasures. This theater is /1373/. Go up to that field, left click on the URL, click again (so the blue highlight disappears), and then you can replace 1337 with 557. That’ll bring up the Loew’s State page. EZ as pie. :)

michelemarie
michelemarie on August 10, 2006 at 4:25 pm

Dear Brooklyn, I'am bad I found it. Great Pic of the GWTW by Warren. We need more pic’s of great Movies like that. Anniegirl

michelemarie
michelemarie on August 10, 2006 at 4:18 pm

Dear Brooklyn Jim how do I go to the Loew’s State Theater page #557)anniegirl

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on August 10, 2006 at 4:10 pm

Check out the great GWTW pic he posted 8-6-06 on the Loew’s State Theater page (#557). It’s a keeper.

michelemarie
michelemarie on August 10, 2006 at 1:34 pm

Dear Warren,
I think your poster of 1936 is great. Although I was not born until 1945, I enjoy your research on the Movie Circut. My older Sister went to the Met to see Gone with the Wind with my Mom. I was not interested to see that particular Movie since I was just a kid. So my Mom took me, my sister and my Dad to Schraffts for Dinner which was next door to the moviehouse. Keep up the good work Warren. Anniegirl.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 10, 2006 at 12:26 pm

A year after dropping stage shows, Loew’s Met had this special booking for the Long Island Tercentenary in 1936. It’s one of the rare times that I recall Brooklyn being acknowledged as part of Long Island. Even today, many Brooklynites probably don’t realize that they are also Long Islanders:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/li1936.jpg

BruceIII
BruceIII on April 5, 2006 at 5:43 pm

Dear SAPS and Warren,
The Loew’s Metropolitan is now the ‘Brooklyn Tabernacle’ and that’s how it will stay. Why not put your energy toward saving a theater that could become the Kings County Center for the Performing Arts? That’s the Loew’s Kings!

BruceIII
BruceIII on April 4, 2006 at 2:38 pm

Francesca,
Don’t you remember me??
Bruce (The Loew’s Kings) My favorite theater has never been destroyed and despite water damage, it’s intact.

louieb
louieb on April 4, 2006 at 1:03 pm

So only talk about the Met. Anniegirl
posted by louieb Apr 4 2006

ERD
ERD on April 4, 2006 at 12:59 pm

I absolutely agree with Warren, who is one of the most respected and informative contributing members on Cinema Treasures.

louieb
louieb on April 4, 2006 at 12:49 pm

chaos by whom u???????????Anniegirl
posted by louieb Apr 4th 2006

louieb
louieb on April 4, 2006 at 12:47 pm

ok warren you made your point lol. If u know what that means. How much can u say about the Met? Fabulous say’s it all and that’s all. Anniegirl.
posted by louieb Apr 4th 2006.

judithblumenthal
judithblumenthal on April 4, 2006 at 12:23 pm

Well, we’ve just been warned by Warren that Anniegirl and I are causing CHAOS by mentioning QUEENS theatres on the Loew’s Metropolitan listing. I did think this was a place where Cinema Treasures everywhere were treasured.
So I’ll shut up. Francesca

BruceIII
BruceIII on April 4, 2006 at 11:53 am

Hi Francesca,
Good to see you’re still interested in theaters! When I did an episode of public access cable TV show ‘That’s Brooklyn,’ your song really hit the spot.
Bruce. Hopefully, a meeting to try to save the Loew’s Kings will be held on April 8th. Check under that department for further information.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on April 4, 2006 at 11:39 am

All of those Queens theatres are listed here. Discussions should be held at their listings, not at the one for Loew’s Metropolitan. Chaos will result if people post helter-skelter.

louieb
louieb on April 4, 2006 at 11:35 am

Hi Francesca, I went to the Keiths Flushing on Northern Blvd and Main Street only once with my Husband Louieb who hails from Astoria. We went several times to Steinway to the RKO Astoria Movie Theater. And we saw JAWS at the Prospect Movie Theater on Main Street in Flushing. Once we went to the Main Street Theater on Main St in Briarwood Section. So I would like to hear about more Theater’s in Queens. I am a Brooklynite and all of my childhood and adolesent years were spent going to Brooklyn Theater’s. Anniegirl
posted by louieb on Apr 4th 2006

judithblumenthal
judithblumenthal on April 4, 2006 at 1:55 am

Anniegirl—thanks for your reply. I am a writer and songwriter and I appreciate the details that bring out our feelings about these places, as you did. I also spent time at A&S: for several years my husband was a buyer there. He also came from Williamsburg so I will ask him about his memories of the movie houses there. I got involved with Cinema Treasures many years later when our local movie palace, RKO Keiths in Flushing was semi-destroyed and may be entirely destroyed. It was a fabulous place with a history that included live performances by Mae West and Bob Hope. It wasn’t part of my childhood, but I had always noticed and admired the glamourous decor. Which was partially destroyed when it had been partitioned into two theatres, and has since mostly been demolished. Francesca