Loew's Metropolitan Theatre
392 Fulton Street,
18 people favorited this theater
Incorporating part of the huge A.D. Matthews & Sons dry goods department store at the corner of Fulton Street & Gallatin Place. The Thomas Lamb-designed Loew’s Metropolitan Theatre opened on September 16, 1918 with Dorothy Gish in “The Hun Within” plus 3 acts of vaudeville on the stage headed by Anna Chandler. The main entrance was on Fulton Street and there were secondary entrances on Smith Street and Livingstone Street. It was equipped with a Moller 3 manual 17 rank organ which in 1934 was replaced by a Moller 3 manual 32 rank organ.
In December 1978 it was converted into a four-screen theatre by Loew’s, to the plans of architect David K. Mesbur. Seating was provided for 676 in Screen 1, 698 in Screen 2, 600 in Screen 3 & 599 in Screen 4. It was taken over by Cineplex-Odeon in the late-1980’s and was closed in July 1996.
The theater underwent extensive renovation and restoration between 2000-2002, and it was de-quadded. It reopened in June 2002 as the new home of the Brooklyn Tabernacle.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater