UA Duffield Twin Theatre
249 Duffield Street,
4 people favorited this theater
This theatre was one of Fulton Mall’s four movie palaces which included the Loew’s Metropolitan Theatre up the street, the RKO Albee Theatre around the corner, and the Paramount Theatre two streets east.
It was opened December 5, 1913 with seating provided in orchestra and balcony levels. In October 1915 it was enlarged to seat 1,000. A Wurlitzer 2 manual 14 rank theatre organ was installed October 23, 1926.
It remained a single screen until May 1984 when it it was divided into two cinemas separating the balcony from the orchestra section as a twin. Seating was now provided for 350 on the former orchestra level and 304 in the former balcony level. Both cinemas had great sound but it’s cinema life was cut short in 1991 during the screening of “New Jack City” when a patron was killed on March 11, 1991.
The theatre was closed by the NYPD for investigation. It never reopened and was later sold and then demolished.
Today, a building on the site is a gymnasium named Planet Fitness.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater