Vista Theatre

4473 Sunset Drive,
Los Angeles, CA 90027

vcarville
vcarville on July 6, 2007 at 1:30 am

I used to like to come here in the mid nineties and they showed first run double features, not second string stuff. I had a terrible crush on the manager at the time, Conrad who was Switerland…he actually showed me the projection booth and the apartments upstairs, what a mess. Looked like no one had occupied them in 30 years. He was very kind. I never saw him after about 95' I think he went back to Switerland….just by chance if you may see this and remember the tall 16 year old girl who’s mother walked out on Interview With a Vampire, write me

relggid
relggid on May 29, 2007 at 1:09 pm

Does anyone know who or what (company) currently owns the Vista (2007)? Or a different way to contact that person that the above phone number?

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on May 28, 2007 at 4:10 pm

This is a 2007 close up view of the Vista Theater.

Marcel
Marcel on May 14, 2007 at 12:46 pm

Great theater- Stood in line with a bunch of friends in ‘98 or '99 for the re-release of “Gimmie Shelter”-awesome!

zendada
zendada on May 10, 2007 at 1:02 pm

OMG! Just discovered this site. I worked at the Vista from August, 1980, until sometime in 1982. My tenure there was just after Mike Thomas Inc. had taken over the theater and ended when Landmark took it over. I started in concessions and ended in the projection booth…running an old Victoria 8 for most of the features, and a rickety old 16mm on occaission. Lived just around the block from it, for three more years after departing, and it always seemed like home. I am of mixed feelings when I see the photos of it’s refurbishment, but I am happy to know that it is a venue for film enjoyment still—even tho I now live 3,000 milkes away.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 20, 2007 at 7:46 am

Here is a photo of the October 1923 grand opening, via the LAPL:

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on January 7, 2007 at 5:09 pm

Here is a photo dated 1980 that shows the Vista Theater.

Patsy
Patsy on October 19, 2006 at 4:45 pm

This site give information about the famous sign in Hollywood that used to read Hollywoodland and mentions the Vista Theater. 1924 – The “Hollywoodland” sign is constructed at a cost of $21,000 atop Mt. Lee. Thirteen 50-foot letters and four thousand 20 watt light bulbs pronouncing, in classic advertising phonics, “Holly”… “wood”… “land”… Hollywoodland.“ 1949 – The Hollywoodland Sign, originally built to last only 18 months, is in total disrepair (and all the light bulbs have long-since been stolen). The City begins removing it but is halted by a public outcry as the citizens have come to love the symbol. Instead, the sign is refurbished and shortened to "Hollywood.” 1978 – The second restoration of the sign begins, led by prominent celebrities and city officials. Cost is $27,000 per letter using sheet metal and a steel framework. The public contributes significantly. 1998 – January 7 – The Hollywoodland Homeowners Association kicks off the 75th Anniversary of Hollywoodland with a gala screening of “Titanic” at the Vista Theatre, newly restored to its 1920’s splendor. Many attend in period dress – one gentleman wearing a vintage tuxedo with seaweed filigree.

MagicLantern
MagicLantern on October 17, 2006 at 9:36 pm

Extensive footage of the interiors and exteriors of the Vista can be seen in the 1980 adult film “The Dirty Picture Show”.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on March 14, 2006 at 4:41 am

Here is a closeup view of the Vista theater.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on March 10, 2006 at 3:12 pm

This is another photo of the Vista theater in LA.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on March 7, 2006 at 5:48 am

A recent night view of the Vista theater can be seen here.

sinclair
sinclair on February 26, 2006 at 9:02 am

Go to www.imdb.com for any and all film quests. Jim is listed there, JSpencer.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 26, 2006 at 8:56 am

There’s plenty of information on this film on the usual search engines. It doesn’t look like it’s available on DVD at present.

jspencer620
jspencer620 on February 26, 2006 at 8:44 am

I stumbled across this blog while researching a film I am trying to locate. The film was shown
@ the Vista in 1993 and was titled “112th & South Central: Through the Eyes of the Children”.
It was a documentary directed by Jim Chambers about the LA uprising of ‘92 and was told
from the perspective of children and students living in South Central LA at the time. I am
trying to find out if any copies of the film exist, in DVD or VHS format or if the film is every
shown (PBS, cable). Does anyone have any info or rememberance of this great documentary?
Thanks.

jspencer620

shoeshoe14
shoeshoe14 on January 10, 2006 at 9:46 am

The marquee and hopefully the auditorium was featured in Quentin Tarantino’s 1993 movie, “True Romance”.

mattepntr
mattepntr on January 2, 2006 at 8:26 pm

It’s great to see all these pictures posted! Seeing these brought
up a memory I had from when I worked there in the early and mid 80’s.
If you look closely at the photos from various era’s, you’ll notice
that the Vista has had several different rooflines over the years.
The original facade had a very ornate plaster relief along the
roofline, and this was lined and highlighted with neon, which must
have looked beautiful at night! If you look at the 80’s pictures,
this has been mostly sheared off, leaving an asymmetrical profile,
and no neon. The photos from present day show a sort of reconstruction of the original roofline, but sans neon.
I was outdoors with the manager one day, and he told me how the
original facade had been damaged in an earthquake, knocking
the ornate plasterwork down, and shattering the neon.

BradE41
BradE41 on December 14, 2005 at 11:38 am

I used to visit the Vista back in the 80’s when they showed 2nd Run Double Features at a decent price. I’m glad it is succesful as a first run theatre now. Single screen theatres are so rare.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on December 12, 2005 at 5:36 am

Here is another photo of the Vista Theater.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 4, 2005 at 8:17 am

Do you remember when the owner of the Silent Movie theater tried to show “Birth of a Nation” a few years ago? It looks like the film had a successful run at the Vista, albeit not in 1915 when the film premiered. The photo is from the Brice Torrence collection: