Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood

6360 Sunset Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 76 - 100 of 1,233 comments

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on November 20, 2015 at 1:36 pm

I’m hearing that Disney is mandating all theaters that book “The Force Awakens” play it in their biggest house for 4 weeks. At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if “The Hateful Eight,” at least initially, only plays the New Beverly, the 70mm-equipped multiplex auditoriums at the ArcLight and the Landmark, and perhaps some newly-equipped AMC screens at Burbank and Century City (as AMCs seem to be where most of Boston Light & Sound projectors are going). Hoping to be proven wrong.

Cliffs
Cliffs on November 20, 2015 at 1:13 pm

I thought the same thing, but recent conversations with Arclight have given me doubt.

RogerA
RogerA on November 19, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Then why is the arclight not selling tickets for Star Wars beyond December 24th? There are no advanced sales for Star Wars in the Dome for dates after the 20th of December. If they are not gonna run Hateful in the Dome then they should run it in the Shrine the Dolby or some other large venue. It would be stupid to roadshow it in some small theater.

Cliffs
Cliffs on November 19, 2015 at 5:43 pm

RogerA… Arclight is telling a different tale. Star Wars in the Dome for a month.

Flix70
Flix70 on November 18, 2015 at 10:39 am

According to the NY Times, the Weinstein Co. was supposed to announce the 70mm theaters last week, but as of today the only confirmed venues I’ve found are three theaters in Detroit.

RogerA
RogerA on November 17, 2015 at 1:15 pm

It looks like the Hateful Eight may go into the Dome and star wars get moved to a smaller screen. Star Wars is also going into the Chinese in IMAX

Flix70
Flix70 on November 16, 2015 at 9:38 am

Yeah, I’m sure Tarantino wanted Christmas Day for “Hateful 8” since “Django” opened so well there, but they had to know Star Wars was going to take all the premium, large-format screens for at least a month. Does anyone really want to see a 70mm road-show presentation in a cookie-cutter stadium-style theater? Not me, but I guess I’ll have to.

Cliffs
Cliffs on November 15, 2015 at 6:46 pm

Don’t be surprised if Hateful 8 doesn’t make it to the Cinerama Dome (despite being the perfect venue for it). It’s looking more and more like Star Wars is going to bump it to a smaller screen inside.

Flix70
Flix70 on October 22, 2015 at 8:21 am

Dare I ask if anyone caught the Back To The Future trilogy at the Dome last night?

markp
markp on October 13, 2015 at 4:32 am

And that RogerA is why film is dying. I argue with people all the time that there is a difference. I saw interstellar last year at the Ziegfeld in 70MM. Big difference between that and the digital trailers. The public today just dont care. As long long as they have the reclining seats and the loud ear crushing sound and tons of special effects, they’re happy. Say 70MM to someone and they’ll say “what?”

RogerA
RogerA on October 12, 2015 at 10:14 am

Star Wars will be an IMAX release. The IMAX version and the 70mm blow up will made off a 4K digital intermediate. So Star Wars will be in IMAX theaters the Hateful Eight won’t be in IMAX. There is a big difference between IMAX and Ultra-Panavision. The Hateful Eight was shot on 65mm and I hope to see a print right off the original negative. The Hateful Eight only needs to be in a few theaters like The Dome so the people who really care about seeing it in 70mm can see it. Why would the Dome want to play Star Wars when it will be at the Chinese and Universal?

Most of the theaters have junked their film projectors. So now they have to rent film projectors to show film there are very few full time 70mm screens left. There are not that many big screens left any more. As Long as The Hateful Eight is in 70mm on a big screen in any theater within 100 miles I will go there to see it! The majority of people will just be happy with the digital version.

Giles
Giles on October 10, 2015 at 6:37 pm

^ sorry for stating this, but it’s been on most exhibitor’s minds that ‘Hateful Eight’s 70mm release is the dumbest timing of the year, when most said large (and/or) 70mm screens will be playing ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

Flix70
Flix70 on October 7, 2015 at 10:43 am

Yeah, The Hateful Eight in 70mm would be worth coming back for. It’s apparently getting an exclusive two-week Road Show presentation in select theaters starting Christmas Day.

RogerA
RogerA on October 5, 2015 at 2:21 pm

It’s the only theater designed for ultra panavision. I expect they will run The Hateful Eight in 70mm film. That will be something worth driving 100 miles to see.

Flix70
Flix70 on October 5, 2015 at 10:57 am

Took the family to see “The Martian” at the Dome over the weekend. First visit in over three years. Saw it in 2D and the presentation was great as always. As soon as the image fills that massive concave screen, you know the hour-long drive was worth it. Had a burger at Bob’s Big Boy in Burbank afterwards. Yes, a pretty good little Saturday.

Flix70
Flix70 on September 24, 2015 at 8:27 am

I see Dome tickets are already on sale for “Spectre.” Nothing yet for “The Martian” which opens next week but they’ve got ‘em for a flick still more than a month out.

Nushboy07
Nushboy07 on August 9, 2015 at 3:01 am

I hate to say this, but I’ve only been in the Cinerama Dome once in my entire life to see the premiere of Spider-Man in 2002. I thought it was just amazing when going inside. On the downside, I do remember this one man with a cowboy hat sitting in front of me almost ruining the entire experience, but I think he either moved or took it off, to which I was relieved. The ceiling was so cool and I’m about to check out the pictures posted on here to get some nostalgia. Long live the done! I mean, I practically have no excuse for not going back there since I frequent the Arclight a lot and do in fact live in the Los Angeles area.

RogerA
RogerA on May 31, 2015 at 9:02 pm

theater management has always been tight with the buck so no wonder they never got top quality people to work for them. Skilled projectionists are a dying breed because management wont pay much more than minimum for a job that should be skilled labor

Flix70
Flix70 on May 8, 2015 at 9:54 am

Looks like they’re trying the Dome “2001” screening again: Sunday, May 10 @ 5PM & 8:45 PM.

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on April 27, 2015 at 11:44 am

So that is why the lobby was packed with hundreds of people at 6pm when I got out of “Woman in Gold” last night. We wanted to see the 5pm “2001” show but there were no two seats together other then the front few rows on the side. That is a lot money they had to refund.

markp
markp on April 27, 2015 at 11:32 am

I wish them well, from a projectionist with over 39 years expierience.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on April 27, 2015 at 1:09 am

Today’s shows of 2001 were cancelled on the spot due to a projectionist walkout in support of the ongoing wage protests. It was something!

Jsittig70mm
Jsittig70mm on March 17, 2015 at 9:25 pm

CINERAMA returns to The Dome in April with the two most popular titles from the 1960’s. Sunday April 19, HOW THE WEST WAS WON presented in its original three- strip format with 7 channel stereophonic sound. Sunday April 26, Stanley Kubrick’s 2001:A SPACE ODYSSEY . If you have never experienced these films on the Cinerama screen, you haven’t seen them at all. Tickets on sale at arclightcinemas.com. And for our Cinerama fans in the Midwest, the Detroit Music Hall, the second Cinerama installation in the world, (March 23, 1953) with play digital restorations of CINERAMA HOLIDAY, SOUTH SEAS ADVENTURE, and select sequences from THIS IS CINERAMA on a specially constructed curved screen, Sunday April 12. Information and tickets available at www.musichall.org.

Flix70
Flix70 on March 5, 2015 at 10:34 am

The Final Cut.

markinthedark
markinthedark on March 5, 2015 at 10:00 am

Which version of Blade Runner?