Loew's State Theatre

1540 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

BobbyS
BobbyS on April 29, 2011 at 10:46 am

Of course I meant “grand” by todays standards. Many of the movie palaces were also made of fake marble and imitation materials that looked real. I give Muvico A+ for trying to give future customers what it was like to attend a Loew’s State, Paramount, Fox or a RKO and many other names that graced our landscape from coast to coast. Someone in that company loves the glory of the movie palaces and I think they should be commended for doing so.

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on April 29, 2011 at 7:34 am

I suppose “grand” is – like beauty – very much in the eyes of the beholder; much as I like the Muvico Rosemont (and most of the other Muvico theaters),it is still a false, Disneyesque sort of grand. There is no or little real marble, crystal, brass or ornate plaster, but simulations using far cheaper materials – plastics, fiberglass, sheetrock, not even real scagliola, but I will take it over those bland boxes of movie theaters that were the rage for so many decades.

BobbyS
BobbyS on April 27, 2011 at 9:53 pm

If you think they are not building them grand anymore, click on Muvico Rosement. It is located near O'hare in Chicago. Be sure and read and cleck on the pix’s. This is a grand showplace in every sense. When they were building this theater and I was watching as I was driving by, I thought I was dreaming! A vertical being put up above a massive marquee with all the fancy bulb work. I agree with someones post that the large facade was inspired from our Paradise Theater here in Chicago. You will see a night shot and I must tell you it is BRIGHT & BEAUTIFUL! A movie palace lovers dream come true!

WilliamMcQuade
WilliamMcQuade on April 27, 2011 at 3:02 pm

The movies started out in small nicelodeons. They seem like they are going back to their roots with small theaters, postage size screens & sky high prices. I like 3 D but to pay $ 4 for rental of glasses is beyond the pale. If more movies will come out in 3 D, let people but their own pair of permanent ones like eyeglasses. If the want us to pay for the privelege of renting them everytime, at least use vaseline if you know what I mean.

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on April 27, 2011 at 12:16 pm

And if they use unimaginative names, they lately have come up with some depressing or starnge names such the Block E in Minneapolis (sounds to me like it is part of a prison) or the Sundance 608 in Madison, WI (named, believe it or not for the area code part of the theater’s telephone number) or the O in Miami. Obviously, I am getting old, but why not occasionally give us a some new Palaces, Orpheums, States, Strands, Tivolis, Rialtos, Orientals, and theaters named after states or cities? These names had romanticism, style, and grace, and even, (dare I say it?) some magic to them.

LuisV
LuisV on April 27, 2011 at 11:46 am

Ed, I am behind you 100%. I simply don’t understand it. Even if they only outfitted one auditorium but went all out! Sadly, that would be a dramatic improvement over the multiplex construction of the current day.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on April 27, 2011 at 11:19 am

Of course, the new cinemas are still pretty damn soulless on the inside! That is unfortunate. I mean these chain restaurants construct all these over-the-top dining facilities (I’m thinking P.F. Chang, Cheesecake Factory, Grand Lux Cafe, etc), that I wonder why movie chains don’t put the same thought into interior decor with their new construction. I’m not asking for expensive terra cotta exteriors and ornate plaser-work on the inside trimmed in gold-leaf and mahogany… but it would be nice to have something other than drab unadorned sheet rock walls and plain concrete and stucco-foam facades that are the standard in modern mutliplex construction.

But, I know I ask too much. These corporate lackeys can’t even come up with names for their theater more imaginative than “Stadium 12!”

LuisV
LuisV on April 27, 2011 at 10:26 am

Yes BobbyS! They did replace the Loews sign with a Regal but in the same beautiful blade design. I also love the exterior of Loews/Regal theater. it is a beautiful homage to the theaters of the past; especially when most new theaters are soulless boxes.

BobbyS
BobbyS on April 27, 2011 at 8:51 am

I saw “Gone With The Wind” 30 years ago in Chicago in wide screen. It was something to see. Would have enjoyed it better at Loew’s State but was never in the theater. After Ted Turner completely restored the film it went back to 35mm and beautiful color. I think the 70mm format was unavailable from then on. I was in the Paramount down the street as they were demolishing it. I just walked in as the workers were on a lunch break. What a shame that was to let go! But I was in Ny as Loews opened their new E-Walk theater on 42nd St. It was very nice with a flavor of a Times Sq. movie house. Beautiful vertical sign that changed colors as it spelled out L-O-E-W-S. Across the street soon came the AMC which added too many screens to the area. AMC bought Loews and the Loews became Regal. Did they save that beautiful vertical and re-letter it with Regal? Hope so. It was a beauty!

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 24, 2010 at 3:27 am

I’d like to see the ads of the premieres that are being described, but I find any old movie theater ads to be very interesting.

Vito
Vito on November 24, 2010 at 2:53 am

saps, I my be able to help with ads which ones are you looking for?

William
William on November 23, 2010 at 9:34 am

Tinseltoes, You forgot to mention. On Nov. 18, 1959 (51 years ago) that “Ben-Hur” had it’s World Premiere at the Loew’s State Theatre and ran for 74 weeks.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 23, 2010 at 9:13 am

Tinseltoes, do you have any newspaper ads you could post concerning these interesting premieres you’re describing?

Vito
Vito on November 10, 2010 at 5:20 am

I was thinking the same thing Bill,talk about gross exaggeration

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on November 10, 2010 at 4:35 am

Thanks, Vito. After viewing this ad, do you think people felt cheated when they saw the actual screen? That looks more like Cinerama to me.

Vito
Vito on November 10, 2010 at 4:28 am

Nov 10th, On this date in 1953 the second picture releaesd in CinemaScope opened simultaneouly at the State and Globe.
I belive HTMAM was actually the first movie filmed in Scope but Zanuck in his wisdom decided to release “The Robe” first to introduce the miracle you see without glasses.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on October 20, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Thanks Tinseltoes.

ediemer
ediemer on August 2, 2010 at 9:05 pm

From “Motion Picture Herald” 4/20/57, p.31

“Rumor along Broadway is that Loew’s State, now a ‘problem theatre’ because of its size, will convert to a policy similar to the Astor or the Victoria, with the coming of ‘Raintree County’-before long. To appreciate this change, you must understand that Loew’s State has 3,450 seats while the Astor has only 1,300 and the Victoria but 1,060. So, when the sweeping change comes in policy, it will be necessary to ‘block off’ about half the seats at Loew’s State-probably most of the huge balcony, to reduce the capacity to something like 1,500 and with that number, a picture can be held for a run of eight weeks or more, on the best Broadway corner. It seems gruesome, but that is just about what will happen. Loew’s State was built for a policy of vaudeville and pictures with weekly changes, and opened in 1921 to rival Keith’s Palace theatre, in the next block. Now, vaudeville is gone, except for a trace; and weekly changes are gone too, and it’s hard to get long runs in a house with too many seats to keep filled.”

Astyanax
Astyanax on July 29, 2010 at 11:26 am

Terrific view of what appears to have been the original marquee; quite elegant. Also liked the summer straw hats!

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on July 29, 2010 at 9:40 am

Thanks Tinseltoes,the link worked today,great photo.

William
William on July 28, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Earlier today it worked, it was a nice shot.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on July 28, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Your photo link does not work Tinseltoes,sounds like a great photo.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on June 25, 2010 at 7:47 am

That Boxoffice article states that “Tomorrow Is Too Late” was the first foreign film to open in a large Broadway house. Although by 1952 the upper east side art houses played most foreign titles, “Tomorrow is Too late” was hardly the first to open in a large Broadway theatre. In fact, most foreign titles opened there before the art house (sure-seater)explosion.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on June 23, 2010 at 5:15 am

Boxoffice piece on Italian film (Tomorrow is too Late) playing Loew’s State in 1952. Issue of April 5, 1952: