Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas

6360 Sunset Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 1,026 - 1,050 of 1,105 comments

mattepntr
mattepntr on July 16, 2005 at 11:46 pm

Yes, the Dome had Cinema Digital Sound installed in the early 90’s, and what a great system that was! I saw “Terminator 2: Judgment Day” there in 70mm and CDS. This was an expensive format, and faded with the advent of the much cheaper Dolby Digital and DTS formats.

But Cinema Digital Sound was MUCH higher quality, the best sound I’ve ever heard in a movie theater, ever.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on June 30, 2005 at 6:00 pm

Enough with the spam already.

Coate
Coate on June 30, 2005 at 5:19 am

The Cinerama Dome was among the handful of theaters that was equipped with Cinema Digital Sound (CDS), the 1990-1991 precursor to the contemporary digital sound formats.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on June 30, 2005 at 1:56 am

I second Doug23’s comment and responses to the previous bickering! Celebrate the fact you have the choicest venues to experience movies. The BEST! If you were in Washington DC, your choice is a decent looking art deco structure that can boast bad sound and lousy projection (Loews Uptown), or a smaller suburban multiplex.

dia920
dia920 on June 29, 2005 at 9:01 pm

Yes Doug, I agree with you whole-heartedly. While I argued in favor of Arclight, my overall point was that each has its own attractions, and Arclight should not be put down for having a different aesthetic. Both types are enjoyable, and favoring one over another is merely a matter of taste.

deleted user
[Deleted] on June 29, 2005 at 12:03 pm

Universal presents KING KONG. World Premiere Monday, 12 December 2005 Ziegfeld Theatre, New York City. Regular performances start Wednesday, 14 December 2005 at the Ziegfeld Theatre, New York and the Cinerama Dome, Hollywood, CA.

Doug23
Doug23 on June 28, 2005 at 9:29 pm

Considering you have both the Arclight and the Chinese/El Capitan experiences available within a couple of miles of each other, I see no reason to argue. How many people outside of Los Angeles are thinking they wish they had the same sort of option? For what it’s worth, the best picture/sound quality is in the Arclight, and the best Old Hollywood experience is the Chinese type. (I say type as I would be hard pressed to choose between a few different palaces, but would probably go with the Chinese).

JimRankin
JimRankin on June 18, 2005 at 4:54 am

Daniel is entitled to his opinion, and no doubt Arclight is the ne plus ultra of projection, but I must stand by the conviction that if whatever is on the screen is so weak that the audience is drawn to look about at the auditorium, then it shouldn’t have been on the screen in the first place, and the audience was then well served to have had something else to look at.

dia920
dia920 on June 18, 2005 at 4:43 am

I’ve been reading the arguments regarding gaudy opulence vs. cheap minimalism in theaters. I personally enjoy the baroque beauty of our historic filmhouses, as they remind us of the Golden Age of Hollywood. They are the places to take the kids or out-of-towners who are surely as awestruck as we are at the grandeur of them. BUT, for those who wish to see the FILM, Arclight is King. The black-box format dispenses with the flash and drama of glittery wall fixtures and points only to the screen. Rather than speaking to me of cheapness (to the contrary, a friend who worked on the construction of the auditoriums assures me that no expense was spared, and anyone familiar with the stage or cinema knows that flashy rarely equals expensive) they speak to me of concern for a focus on the experience of sight and sound. Even the finest painting can be overwhelmed by an overly loud frame, and Arclight obviously understands that bright, brassy fixtures belong only in suburban multiplexes and in Wal-Mart at Christmastime.

I just finished watching Star Wars Episode III at the Dome (for the fourth time there), and the digital projection and rich, powerful sound were flawless from the first frame to the last. The quality of film presentation at Arclight is without rival, in my experience. For the Hollywood buff, the after-film treats are in the lobby, where gems of movie craft, usually related to the Dome feature, are cleanly and respectfully displayed. No, I don’t work for Arclight or Pacific Theaters—I just like them that much. And while there is surely something to be said for the older, more opulent venues, if you feel that Arclight is “too cheap” to wear anything other than black, then stick to your local mall, and stop annoying me with your criticisms.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on June 15, 2005 at 11:13 pm

“Ben-Hur” played the Dome in July of 2000 as part of the special festivities just before it closed for renovation. Alas, it was a 35mm print but a new one and Charlton Heston appeared in person. “Lawrence of Arabia” and “Terminator 2” both played during those 3 days in 70mm.

PeterJohn
PeterJohn on June 15, 2005 at 10:20 pm

One film that I have never heard mentioned in regards to playing at the Cinerama Dome is BEN-HUR. Has this ever played there? I would love to see this once again on the big screen. I should think it would be absolutely magnificent. To anyone who can shed some light on this, thank you.

Regards,

Peter John

MallRat73
MallRat73 on June 5, 2005 at 9:54 am

Anyone remember any films featuring the Cinerama Dome? The sequel to the first (and best) ‘Gone in 60 Seconds’ shot the climax on the roof. The film ‘The Junk Man’ was one of writer/director/star H.B. Halicki’s last films.
‘The Big Picture’ starring Kevin Bacon had him filming a very cheesy music video featuring life-size PEZ dispensers. This segment was filmed directly across Sunset with just the top 10 feet or so of the Dome showing in the background.

billyraccoon
billyraccoon on June 5, 2005 at 6:18 am

Michael,

Thank you sooooo much for the information. This isssue has been driving me crazy since the Dome was redone and I kept reading and hearing the claims. Your site filled in all the details and jogged my memory cells – It was a “Re-Premier”, Six Track Stereo and promoted with “Back To Entertain a New Generation”. I was that new generation. I was only 20 yrs old.

One final question, if I may impose? What accounted for the mismatched color and registration? Did they transfer all three image strips to 70mm film for the showing? It was after all those two things (flaws) that led me to believe I saw 3-strip Cinerama.

Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time to help me. I am happy to say “I stand corrected.” Now I can’t wait till the Dome runs it again – so I can actually see – that which I thought I saw -but didn’t – LOL

Coate
Coate on June 5, 2005 at 5:00 am

CineBill,

The engagement of “This Is Cinerama” at the Dome you are referring to was a 70mm presentation, not a 3-strip Cinerama. Its Dome run began Feb. 15, 1973 and ran for about three months.

Any statements or article references to the Dome not running 3-strip Cinerama until a couple of years ago remain correct.

billyraccoon
billyraccoon on June 5, 2005 at 2:34 am

In the late 60’s or early 70’s, after the success of “2001 A Space Odyssey” at the Warner Theatre on Hollywood Blvd. in 70mm “Cinerama”, the Dome on Sunset Blvd. ran a special engagement of “This Is Cinerama”. It remember it well. What it was like to get tickets for a family of 5, the hours we spent in line taking turns standing and what an event it really was.

I also remember the faded condition of some of the 3 “panels” and how they didn’t always match the one next to it and how the registration wasn’t always the best, especially the water sking scene in Florida. But despite it all, it was truly an event. The Rolller Coaster sequence opening to three panels after Lowell Thomas introduces the film on the one center panel alone was worth every moment spent in line and every dollar we paid. The ads boasted the 3-strip projector showing as well as a newly restored multi-channel stereo soundtrack.

Now here’s the reason for my post. “Not until the Dome’s two-year restoration was completed in December 2002 did the venue show a film — a reissue of 1962’s "How the West Was Won” — in Cinerama.“ This is simply not true!

Because their press release and subsequent news coverage was so wide spread, the re-creation of history (or honest error?) is being quoted by everyone as truth.

If anyone can provide me with information regarding this event, I would surely appreciate hearing from you. I plan to go to the Los Angeles Times research library and search their microfilm archives to get copies of the articles and ads. However, without a date or year this is one very huge undertaking.

I want to present this proof to Pacific Theatres management so they can set the record straight and correct the misleading story they are busy telling people. Then hopefully this falsehood can stop being perpetuated. I know rewriting history is popular, especially when it can be used as hype. Cinerama is bigger than that, it deserves good historical documentation, not hype.

JimRankin
JimRankin on June 1, 2005 at 5:05 pm

Don K.’s discussion is right on the nose, and it will be intersting to see what developes now that big business virtually ‘owns’ the govenment. Much more discussion about his is in the FORMUS of the site: www.bigscreenbiz.com

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on June 1, 2005 at 2:59 am

To answer Eric’s inquiry, there is no question that the Dome is THE place to see any film. When the Lord of the Rings trilogy played here the 35mm print image was huge and the sound was perfect. Was it distorted? Some, because the film was not shot for presentation on a curved screen. Impressive? More so than any other theater currently running film in L.A. including the Chinese. I have not seen a digital presentation in the Dome but it is advertised as filling the entire Dome screen which, as noted above, is 86 feet wide. The “black boxes”, while quality houses, can’t come close to that kind of experience. Make sure you sit in the center section on the main floor. This section always sells out first and for good reason.

Don K.
Don K. on June 1, 2005 at 2:31 am

Saw HOW THE WEST WAS WON at the Cinerama Dome and I was duly impressed. Beyond that, I like the black boxes at the Arclight, they fulfull a real need for quality screening rooms.

As much as I love quality vintage single screen theaters, the real question is whether or not motion picture exhibition as we have known it will survive. This is an age of changing public tastes. We are on the verge of a new era of on demand program delivery via a high speed internet connection to home theater systems, as well as High Definition DVD. Increased demand will bring down the price of High Definition Home Theater systems. Then the marketplace for motion pictures will change dramatically.

The only kind of motion picture exhibition that stands a real chance in this brave new world will be a high quality presentation. Of course, the Federal Government may have to allow the media conglomerates that own the movie studios to own a larger stake in movie exhibition. While that may seem to run counter to present Federal Anti-Trust law, it may be the only way traditional movie exhibition can survive. The movie studios still need a theatrical launch for their releases. Media conglomerates probably have the political clout to get their way in the current political environment. While I am not an advocate of corporate control of government by any means, movie studio investment in exhibition may be the way of the future. Allowing media conglomerates a 49% interest in exhibition may be the only way that movie theaters can survive in a changing marketplace.

The Arclight Cinemas could be part of the way of the future.

johnmontgomery
johnmontgomery on May 29, 2005 at 1:10 am

If HOW THE WEST WAS WON will play this fall at the Cinerama Dome, I will unquestionably drive to Hollywood from Albuquerque to see it. I think if I could choose how I wanted to go out of this world when I die, it would be while sitting in the middle of the front row watching the end of HTWWW!!

et415
et415 on May 28, 2005 at 3:58 pm

I have some friends from NYC and London coming into town on June 9, and they want to see Star Wars. So of course I’m taking them to the Arclight. My question is whether to put them in the Dome or one of the other theaters. Does the digital projection make a significant difference? Does the curved Dome screen distort the film? Where’s the best place to sit?

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on May 4, 2005 at 11:56 pm

I’ve been lucky to have seen “How The West Was Won” and the 40th anniversary print of “It’s A Mad Mad Mad Mad World” here in 2003. In addition, I’ve seen my fair share of current Hollywood fare as well. I will never forget the first time I saw a film here (Terminator 2 on Opening Day 1991). I love this place!

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on May 4, 2005 at 7:37 pm

Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back will play here on 6/1 and 6/10 respectively. 2 tickets will be given away to the AFI tribute to George Lucas at the first screening. It does not specify if the screenings will be in the Dome or not.