Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas

6360 Sunset Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 1,051 - 1,075 of 1,141 comments

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on October 28, 2005 at 9:18 am

Today “How the West Was Won” opens and shows twice. Today there are zero print ads (in the Times), no comments by any writer and more space is given by Arclight to the listings of “Saw II” than for this special presentation. Lots of seats still available for all 12 shows even in the center. What a waste.

moviebluedog
moviebluedog on October 28, 2005 at 6:29 am

If you live on the West Coast and can attend one these screenings of HTWWW, please do. You haven’t seen this film in its proper presentation until you’ve seen it in true Cinerama. The picture (or pictures) shining on the large Dome screen are clear and bright, and the sound is good, warm analog sound.

John Sittig and his crew put on a spectacular show, and a lot of effort goes into these special engagements. They deserve an audience and deserve applause for their efforts. Sittig has been at the forefront of many special engagements at the Dome of Cinerama and Super Cinerama shows. It doesn’t get any better than this.

The films that audiences see in their local shoebox megaplex are such a far cry from the epic quality of HTWWW. Before I saw it at the Dome in 2003, I had only seen it on LaserDisc and wondered what was so special about it. I found it boring and stagey. BUT, when seen in Cinerama, what a difference! This is a true film with showmanship in mind and shouldn’t be missed!

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on October 28, 2005 at 4:51 am

Ticket sales must be dragging as the engagement of HTTWW was just cut back by a day and now ends 11/02. I just checked and so far the center section has not even sold out for today’s shows. Either support these showings or they will go away.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on October 6, 2005 at 10:59 am

“How The West Was Won” in it’s original 3-strip Cinerama format returns to the Dome for one week only (10/28-11/03). Tickets on sale now and I have mine in the sweet spot. See you there!

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on August 24, 2005 at 6:46 pm

Out in Philadelphia, a former Cinerama theatre is being restored. the RKO stanley Warner Boyd Theatre, which was also known as Regal Entertainment Group’s United artists Sameric 4 Theatre. This cinerama house (it was one of the first cinerama theatres on the east coast, along with the RKO Stanley Warner’s Warner Cinerama & Penthouse Theatre.

Sameric’s auditorium #1 was the former Boyd Theatre, which had all incarations of Cinerama until it was moved in the late 1960’s to William Goldman’s Randolph Theatre (which closed in 1971 with Tora! Tora! Tora! as the last film).

It would be great if a cinerama style theatre was built in Philadelphia, that uses cinerama, imax, 70mm, 35mm and digital formats.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on August 15, 2005 at 7:33 am

Chris, I agree. Recently “T2”, “Lawrence of Arabia”, “Gandhi” and others that cry out for that huge screen have played during Arclight’s AFI series but always in one of the smaller houses. However, when the L.A. Conservancy had their annual meeting and no film was shown where was it? The Dome. Go figure.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on July 22, 2005 at 9:37 am

HTWWW is coming back? Great. Maybe I’ll take some friends who’ve never been here.

To piggyback on Bill Huelbig’s comments, the American Cinematheque is running their yearly 70MM festival in the wrong theatre! With all due respect to the Egyptian, the Dome is THE PLACE to experience the true glory of 70MM projection!

I think the Dome should be running festivals and classics during the not so busy season. There’s no reason why this auditorium should be showing anything “fluffy” in the slow months. January-April and September-October are the perfect times for the Dome to go retro and show classics worthy to fit on that glorious screen.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 22, 2005 at 9:29 am

I’m waiting patiently (or trying to) for the announcement of the dates for the rumored Fall 2005 engagement of “How the West Was Won”. Wouldn’t it be great if they had a Cinerama festival (3-strip as well as 70mm) and showed “2001” at the same time?

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on July 22, 2005 at 6:34 am

Yeah…but not in this decade…and not since it’s reopening.

Coate
Coate on July 21, 2005 at 9:59 pm

The Dome has shown “2001”…on several occasions.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on July 21, 2005 at 6:56 pm

First time I went here was to see T2 on opening day in 70MM and CDS. One of the greatest movie experiences of my life!

Now if they’d only get permission to show 2001 in here!

mattepntr
mattepntr on July 16, 2005 at 3:46 pm

Yes, the Dome had Cinema Digital Sound installed in the early 90’s, and what a great system that was! I saw “Terminator 2: Judgment Day” there in 70mm and CDS. This was an expensive format, and faded with the advent of the much cheaper Dolby Digital and DTS formats.

But Cinema Digital Sound was MUCH higher quality, the best sound I’ve ever heard in a movie theater, ever.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on June 30, 2005 at 10:00 am

Enough with the spam already.

Coate
Coate on June 29, 2005 at 9:19 pm

The Cinerama Dome was among the handful of theaters that was equipped with Cinema Digital Sound (CDS), the 1990-1991 precursor to the contemporary digital sound formats.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on June 29, 2005 at 5:56 pm

I second Doug23’s comment and responses to the previous bickering! Celebrate the fact you have the choicest venues to experience movies. The BEST! If you were in Washington DC, your choice is a decent looking art deco structure that can boast bad sound and lousy projection (Loews Uptown), or a smaller suburban multiplex.

dia920
dia920 on June 29, 2005 at 1:01 pm

Yes Doug, I agree with you whole-heartedly. While I argued in favor of Arclight, my overall point was that each has its own attractions, and Arclight should not be put down for having a different aesthetic. Both types are enjoyable, and favoring one over another is merely a matter of taste.

deleted user
[Deleted] on June 29, 2005 at 4:03 am

Universal presents KING KONG. World Premiere Monday, 12 December 2005 Ziegfeld Theatre, New York City. Regular performances start Wednesday, 14 December 2005 at the Ziegfeld Theatre, New York and the Cinerama Dome, Hollywood, CA.

Doug23
Doug23 on June 28, 2005 at 1:29 pm

Considering you have both the Arclight and the Chinese/El Capitan experiences available within a couple of miles of each other, I see no reason to argue. How many people outside of Los Angeles are thinking they wish they had the same sort of option? For what it’s worth, the best picture/sound quality is in the Arclight, and the best Old Hollywood experience is the Chinese type. (I say type as I would be hard pressed to choose between a few different palaces, but would probably go with the Chinese).

JimRankin
JimRankin on June 17, 2005 at 8:54 pm

Daniel is entitled to his opinion, and no doubt Arclight is the ne plus ultra of projection, but I must stand by the conviction that if whatever is on the screen is so weak that the audience is drawn to look about at the auditorium, then it shouldn’t have been on the screen in the first place, and the audience was then well served to have had something else to look at.

dia920
dia920 on June 17, 2005 at 8:43 pm

I’ve been reading the arguments regarding gaudy opulence vs. cheap minimalism in theaters. I personally enjoy the baroque beauty of our historic filmhouses, as they remind us of the Golden Age of Hollywood. They are the places to take the kids or out-of-towners who are surely as awestruck as we are at the grandeur of them. BUT, for those who wish to see the FILM, Arclight is King. The black-box format dispenses with the flash and drama of glittery wall fixtures and points only to the screen. Rather than speaking to me of cheapness (to the contrary, a friend who worked on the construction of the auditoriums assures me that no expense was spared, and anyone familiar with the stage or cinema knows that flashy rarely equals expensive) they speak to me of concern for a focus on the experience of sight and sound. Even the finest painting can be overwhelmed by an overly loud frame, and Arclight obviously understands that bright, brassy fixtures belong only in suburban multiplexes and in Wal-Mart at Christmastime.

I just finished watching Star Wars Episode III at the Dome (for the fourth time there), and the digital projection and rich, powerful sound were flawless from the first frame to the last. The quality of film presentation at Arclight is without rival, in my experience. For the Hollywood buff, the after-film treats are in the lobby, where gems of movie craft, usually related to the Dome feature, are cleanly and respectfully displayed. No, I don’t work for Arclight or Pacific Theaters—I just like them that much. And while there is surely something to be said for the older, more opulent venues, if you feel that Arclight is “too cheap” to wear anything other than black, then stick to your local mall, and stop annoying me with your criticisms.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on June 15, 2005 at 3:13 pm

“Ben-Hur” played the Dome in July of 2000 as part of the special festivities just before it closed for renovation. Alas, it was a 35mm print but a new one and Charlton Heston appeared in person. “Lawrence of Arabia” and “Terminator 2” both played during those 3 days in 70mm.

PeterJohn
PeterJohn on June 15, 2005 at 2:20 pm

One film that I have never heard mentioned in regards to playing at the Cinerama Dome is BEN-HUR. Has this ever played there? I would love to see this once again on the big screen. I should think it would be absolutely magnificent. To anyone who can shed some light on this, thank you.

Regards,