Ziegfeld Theatre

141 W. 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 1,126 - 1,150 of 4,441 comments

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 12, 2010 at 7:46 pm

After reading about all the hard work that paid off from the folks at Chace Audio, it looks like 2011 might be the year I get what I’ve been waiting for all this time. Thanks William and Gary!

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on March 12, 2010 at 4:55 pm

It doesn’t have the original sound mix on it.

JSA
JSA on March 12, 2010 at 3:45 pm

So what’s the deal with the recent 70 MM – DTS WSS print?

Isn’t that a restored print?

JSA

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on March 12, 2010 at 3:11 pm

FYI:

Now, how about a fiftieth anniversary screening with full restoration at the Ziegfeld???

Best,

Gary

William
William on March 12, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Bill, I’m having a computer issue today. They are restoring the original 6-Track Stereo mix that won the Academy Award. The current soundtrack is not the full 5-Tracks on stage like it was Roadshown in 1961. More to follow.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 12, 2010 at 11:59 am

Uh-oh – this sounds good. Is there a Blu-Ray edition coming out?

William
William on March 12, 2010 at 11:52 am

Bill , If you can wait alittle longer. You will see and hear “West Side Story” as people have not heard since the original 70MM release.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 12, 2010 at 11:33 am

Thanks, William. My almost-lifelong quest to see “West Side Story” in 70mm continues …

William
William on March 12, 2010 at 11:10 am

Looks like the only 70MM to play the Ziegfeld Theatre in 1970 were :
An engagement called “4 for the Ziegfeld”.
“Gone With the Wind” (Feb. 18-24)
“Doctor Zhivago” (Feb. 25-Mar. 3)
“The Bible” (Mar. 4-10)
“The Sound of Music” (Mar. 11-17)

Later in the year.
“Ryan’s Daughter” (Nov. 10 1970-Roadshow)

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 12, 2010 at 10:27 am

OK, thanks. “Close Encounters” – now there was a great 70mm show at the Ziegfeld!

RobertEndres
RobertEndres on March 12, 2010 at 10:06 am

I didn’t start there until “Close Encounters” in 1979. (I came to the Music Hall from Illinois in January of 1974.)

In thinking back I did remember one other note posted on the Zeiss rack in the booth that might have been a reference to the good Dr. It just said, rather cryptically, “Henry — Vats mit der Ding-dong?”

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 12, 2010 at 10:00 am

It sure was acting like a neurotic, malfunctioning HAL on the day I saw it in action: ear-splitting popping noises were ruining the soundtrack of “West Side Story”, and they only stopped when the operator walked away from the console.

REndres: if you worked there in 1970, would you be able to confirm that the “West Side Story”/“Around the World in 80 Days” double feature that summer was a 70mm show or not? I like to think it was, and for years I was convinced of it, but I have to be realistic and accept that it was probably only 35mm. It was still a great show, except for the popping noises.

RobertEndres
RobertEndres on March 12, 2010 at 9:41 am

Bill, I heard a Dr. Jetske (?) from Zeiss discuss the console at an SMPTE meeting. He was very German, “Und here ve haff the controls for the Overturemusic…” While he was enthusiastic about the automation equipment, the booth crew seemed to have been less so. When I started there, there was a simple sign at the top of the automation rack in the booth that said “HAL”, a rather witty reference to the evil computer in “2001”. It was a very complete system, with a small TV camera aimed at each projector so the operator at the console see how they were running on monitors in that position. At least it was an automation system that was designed to have a human monitoring the screening!

Vito
Vito on March 12, 2010 at 9:35 am

Hi Rob and thanks for that.
The night I went to check out the theatre shortly after “Marooned” opened, the fella at the console did not represent himself as a union man even though I had introduced my self as a member of local 640 projectionist union from Long Island. He seemed to indicate that not only, as you said, was only one man necessary but that in fact the man “up there” was not even all that necessary at all which of course could not be further from the truth and got my gander up. All this was at a time when those of us in the profession of projection for a living were getting more and more sensitive to all this new fangled automation stuff, so I guess I went in there looking for a fight. Later I got to know Steve D rather well and I can just hers him telling management in a no doubt forceful tone ”You will still need two men”
We had a similar situation when “Fiddler” played as a road show in the early 70s in 35mm. Management felt the need for two men (which was always used for 70mm road shows) was no longer necessary. But the union prevailed and we ran that show in 35mm with two men in the booth.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 12, 2010 at 9:31 am

Thanks REndres. I love hearing stories about the console. When I first saw it 40 years ago, it looked like something from the future. I’ll bet it was considered a great breakthrough in motion picture exhibition when it was first installed. I wonder how many theaters installed one after the Ziegfeld did? I’d guess not too many.

RobertEndres
RobertEndres on March 12, 2010 at 9:11 am

Vito: The console was run by a #306 projectionist. I attended a screening of “Soldier Blue” with Ben Olevsky when the houses first opened while I was attending an SMPTE conference. Originally, I gather that Walter Reade people told Steve D'Inzillo that they would only need one projectionist since there would be a man at the console, and he said, “you’ll still have two men.” Ben and I went up to the booth after the show, and the man on the console was in the booth helping check in prints for the next day’s screening. We were told that they swapped positions during the day, with one man in the booth for one screening, and down at the console for the next.

That was a Zeiss automation system, with a drum in the booth that held pins for the cues. When I worked there I was looking at it one day while the show was on, and accidentally brushed a microswitch. I looked up and to my chagrin saw the main curtain closing in the middle of the feature. The console was gone, but the wiring to the drum was still active paralleling the wall switches for the curtains and lights.

Vito
Vito on March 12, 2010 at 7:57 am

it’s ok Stan,I take solice in knowing the boys in the booth are still there while the console is gone and the jackass who ran it
is probably an usher now.:)
No offense to ushers and the important job they do.

StanMalone
StanMalone on March 11, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Bill: Please help keep Vito’s blood pressure down. Don’t get him going on the console thing again.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on March 9, 2010 at 1:04 pm

This past weekend, Alice in Wonderland became a crowd pleaser and broke records for a 3D film.

edblank
edblank on March 8, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Anyone have grosses for “West Side Story” and, separately, for “Funny Girl” here recently?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 8, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Anyway, Vito, I’m sure you have some good 70mm Sound of Music stories to contribute.

William
William on March 8, 2010 at 11:38 am

Vito, the post was done on march 3rd. 2010 @ 6:34pm by Ret Akc (NAC) Bob Jensen. It was about have 2 men operated a booth for 70MM. And what was the weight of a 70MM reel.

Vito
Vito on March 8, 2010 at 11:20 am

Thanks Bill, I must have mised something there. I read that thread and did not see anything I could respond to.
I will have another look, thanks

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 4, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Vito: since you can usually be found hanging out on this page, someone on this other page:

has a couple of 70mm questions for you.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on March 4, 2010 at 5:17 pm

WOW THATS A LOT OF POSTS!!!!!!!!!!