Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 1,126 - 1,150 of 4,074 comments

JeffS
JeffS on December 12, 2008 at 4:46 am

“Few of them, though, were crass enough to have the unbridled nerve to state publicly: "But, please tell us who the 2nd one is, so it can be figured out whether that’s good or bad.” Good or bad? This in itself is so overwhelmingly, breathtakingly “superior-feeling” of you and so utterly and completely contemptuous of your contributors as to be beyond any gentlemanly discussion."

Wow. Thank you RowJ, I think that deserved repeating…

I’m the 2nd one. So, is it good, or is it bad?

Talk about a sarcastic attitude toward contributors. Beyond belief.

rowJ
rowJ on December 12, 2008 at 4:21 am

If even one single person decides to no longer contribute to the information base gathered together at this site because of arbitrary, dictatorial rules and flaggings suddenly and slap-happily imposed by persons who are clearly acting from their own distended egos, then this will surely mean the beginning of the slippery-slope decline of Cinema Treasures into an deep, lasting obscurity it would richly deserve. I have watched over these Internet years the rapid decline of dozens of ‘“top-of-the-heap, King-of-the-Mountain” websites that forgot the people for whom they were originally conceived.
Few of them, though, were crass enough to have the unbridled nerve to state publicly: “But, please tell us who the 2nd one is, so it can be figured out whether that’s good or bad.” Good or bad? This in itself is so overwhelmingly, breathtakingly “superior-feeling” of you and so utterly and completely contemptuous of your contributors as to be beyond any gentlemanly discussion.
Today’s Cinema Treasures is well on its way to becoming tomorrow’s Netscape.

JSA
JSA on December 11, 2008 at 6:13 pm

I really hope that the issues can be worked out. CT without Vito would be like “Lawrence of Arabia” without Peter O'Toole.

And regarding suggestions for Ziegfeld classics, there’s a brand new 70MM print of West Side Story that just made the rounds in San Francisco and LA, and it’s screaming to be screened at NYC…

JSA

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 11, 2008 at 5:09 pm

The second one: Jeff. He just said it, three posts above. And he’s one of the few people on here who can hold his own with Vito if a conversation on film projection gets seriously technical.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 11, 2008 at 4:50 pm

Two? Who’s the 2nd one? Vito we know about. He’s not going anywhere- he has lots of fun posting on this thread and we all appreciate him. But, please tell us who the 2nd one is, so it can be figured out whether that’s good or bad.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 11, 2008 at 4:44 pm

Thanks for taking a stand on this, Jeff. Still waiting for some higher authority at CT to get involved here before we lose two of our most knowledgeable members.

Vito: I’m seeing that movie-which-must-not-be-named tomorrow night at Lincoln Square 13. I will post my opinion there and I hope you’ll read it:

/theaters/7222/

JeffS
JeffS on December 11, 2008 at 3:26 pm

If certain people had not taken it upon themselves to play self imposed censors or “topicality traffic cops”, none of this would have happened. It was absolutely WRONG to delete those posts yesterday, and I’m furious it happened. I hope Vito decides to stay, and I hope this incident never happens again – nor do I hope we have to “watch what we say or talk about” in this forum, or sure as can be, I’m leaving too.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 11, 2008 at 8:20 am

Hi Craig: I know it’s a longshot, but my request is for David Lean’s “Ryan’s Daughter”. I know there’s at least one semi-new 70mm print of it floating around out there, and back in 1970-71 it became the longest-running movie to play the Ziegfeld, a record it still holds. It’s an awesome spectacle on a TV screen – imagine what it must be like at the Ziegfeld.

“Ryan’s Daughter” or not, I’m just grateful to you and the Ziegfeld for presenting the classics, and I’m eagerly looking forward to whatever shows you guys come up with!

therock1
therock1 on December 11, 2008 at 8:08 am

Hi All,

Just want to let all of you know that yes, we do listen to you and your suggestions for The Ziegfeld.

Feel free to e-mail me your comments and suggestions at any time.

Also, send me your Classic Film title suggestions and we will see if we can put together a nice program for either the winter or the early spring.

Thanks and have a wonderful Christmas and Holiday Season!

Craig

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on December 11, 2008 at 7:53 am

We’re all cyberfriends here and share common interests regarding the Ziegfeld, film presentation, and films, in general. The backgrounds that each of us bring can only add to the experience, and yes, we sometimes get emotional—I’ve certainly done it. But, hey, we’re all only human, and that’s great.

As far as the Ziegfeld, it’s not a perfect place, the presentation is not always what it should be, and, unfortunately, we don’t own and run the place. We can only suggest, and that’s good,too.

When the classics started a few years ago, they asked for suggestions (remember the cards)and Craig listened.

So, again, please send him an e-mail to encourage another Classic series.

And, by the way, “Benjamin Button” which opens at the Ziegfeld Christmas Day has just been nominated for plenty of Golden Globes.

Happy Holidays

markp
markp on December 11, 2008 at 7:51 am

As I said above, I posted right after vito’s assessment of the movie. I did not see anything wrong with it. He just didn’t like it. No big deal. Freedom of speech, we’re all supposed to have it, but I guess…

LuisV
LuisV on December 11, 2008 at 7:38 am

Vito, please don’t leave. I don’t know anything at all about the behind the scenes activity at theaters and, I must admit, am totally lost by some of the technical language that you use. Nonetheless, it is incredibly important information and we can’t lose it.

It’s a shame that the blatant abuse that is present on the Ridgewood page is possibly ruining it for everyone, but the answer isn’t withrawing your valuable contribution to this site.

markp
markp on December 11, 2008 at 7:26 am

Hello Ziegfeld Man,

How have you been? Its been a while…

I know how Vito Feels. I posted a response to his comment of TDTESS, and it to was removed. I ’ve only been a part of CT half as long as you guys, but I guess I did something wrong.

I also hope vito stays, since I know him personally, and consider him a dear friend. Hope you get some cool classics to watch and introduce at the Zieg.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 11, 2008 at 7:23 am

This is exactly what I was afraid of. And I feel responsible.

Dear Webmasters: Since you quickly granted Howard’s request to remove Vito’s post, I’d like to ask you for a favor too – to do and say whatever you can to settle this problem very soon.

We can’t lose Vito!

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on December 11, 2008 at 6:43 am

Vito:

Please don’t leave. I, for one, see the Ziegfeld as the last remaining vestige of movie palace glory in NYC. And that is sad! As everyone here knows, I love the place and especially get a big thrill out of introducing the Classics. To me, it is an honor and a privilege. I’ve always appreciated your input as a professional, experienced veteran of the glory days-your remarks here always expand the Ziegfeld experience for me.

Best

Vito
Vito on December 11, 2008 at 6:30 am

The more I think about this the more irritated I become. Here I am a retired gentleman with a ton of information and thought to share in theses forums, something I have been doing for quite some time now. My posts, for the most part, have been informative and fun and I have tried to give the reader a sense of what it was like to have worked in the glory days if the Cinema Treasures. So if now and then I pepper my comments with an off topic post like the one regarding the screening I attended of the God awful remake of TDTESS, so what? I should think someone who has contributed so much to theses forums should have license to get off the beaten track from time to time. Never mind the fact that the majority of the folks reading them seen to appreciate and enjoy reading them. Quite honestly if that is the case than I no longer want to be a part of this website. How sad

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on December 10, 2008 at 7:11 pm

Hello Everyone:

Haven’t been around here for awhile, but great to see this page so lively once again.

Happy Holidays to all-looking forward to “Benjamin Button” on Christmas Day at the Ziegfeld (my annual tradition)

AND TO ALL ZIEGFELD CLASSIC LOVERS:

Now is the time to drop Craig O' Connor an e-mail to suggest another ZIEGFELD CLASSIC SERIES this winter/spring. Send him your titles, he is very receptive, and the more e-mails, the better.

Great to be back here,
See you at the Ziegfeld

Best

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on December 10, 2008 at 6:43 pm

I don’t understand — who here has the power to delete postings?

William
William on December 10, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Now a days people have to watch out what they post if they work doing pre-screenings of major studio films. The person doing the post to the internet can be fired by their company for the information. Where you might think of the info as a Cinema Treasure exclusive it could get that person into alot of hot water.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 10, 2008 at 4:11 pm

Howard: sure there are movie blogs, all over the place, but none of them had any reviews of that particular movie, including the one you gave a link to. I’m sure today there are reviews everywhere, but before today there were none and Vito’s was the first I’d seen, at 10 AM this morning. It was a true Cinema Treasures exclusive, a scoop if you will, and didn’t deserve to be erased.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 10, 2008 at 3:41 pm

For Chelsea see

/theaters/13816/

that’s the page now to post “Earthquake” recollections.

chuckc
chuckc on December 10, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Since I love disaster movies I just wanted to remind other fans that the chelsea is showing EARTHQUAKE on Dec 18th. Its part of there clearview classic series. I’ll be there! Does anyone know anything about that theater.

Chuck
HERES the link!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 10, 2008 at 3:10 pm

I just googled. Today there are actual movie reviews of the movie online. Vito didn’t exactly receive an exclusive premiere with only him in the audience. Again, let’s not lose sight that this is the Ziegfeld page!

To that mattter, I asked if anybody saw the Godfather I and II presentations this year?
I’ll be eager to know about “Che” since I doubt I will attend.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 10, 2008 at 3:03 pm

Bill, “no” and apparently you saying that the Internet doesn’t have a Movie discussion blog?? I quickly glanced and found one or more. Here’s one.