Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 1,126 - 1,150 of 4,064 comments

markp
markp on December 11, 2008 at 7:51 am

As I said above, I posted right after vito’s assessment of the movie. I did not see anything wrong with it. He just didn’t like it. No big deal. Freedom of speech, we’re all supposed to have it, but I guess…

LuisV
LuisV on December 11, 2008 at 7:38 am

Vito, please don’t leave. I don’t know anything at all about the behind the scenes activity at theaters and, I must admit, am totally lost by some of the technical language that you use. Nonetheless, it is incredibly important information and we can’t lose it.

It’s a shame that the blatant abuse that is present on the Ridgewood page is possibly ruining it for everyone, but the answer isn’t withrawing your valuable contribution to this site.

markp
markp on December 11, 2008 at 7:26 am

Hello Ziegfeld Man,

How have you been? Its been a while…

I know how Vito Feels. I posted a response to his comment of TDTESS, and it to was removed. I ’ve only been a part of CT half as long as you guys, but I guess I did something wrong.

I also hope vito stays, since I know him personally, and consider him a dear friend. Hope you get some cool classics to watch and introduce at the Zieg.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 11, 2008 at 7:23 am

This is exactly what I was afraid of. And I feel responsible.

Dear Webmasters: Since you quickly granted Howard’s request to remove Vito’s post, I’d like to ask you for a favor too – to do and say whatever you can to settle this problem very soon.

We can’t lose Vito!

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on December 11, 2008 at 6:43 am

Vito:

Please don’t leave. I, for one, see the Ziegfeld as the last remaining vestige of movie palace glory in NYC. And that is sad! As everyone here knows, I love the place and especially get a big thrill out of introducing the Classics. To me, it is an honor and a privilege. I’ve always appreciated your input as a professional, experienced veteran of the glory days-your remarks here always expand the Ziegfeld experience for me.

Best

Vito
Vito on December 11, 2008 at 6:30 am

The more I think about this the more irritated I become. Here I am a retired gentleman with a ton of information and thought to share in theses forums, something I have been doing for quite some time now. My posts, for the most part, have been informative and fun and I have tried to give the reader a sense of what it was like to have worked in the glory days if the Cinema Treasures. So if now and then I pepper my comments with an off topic post like the one regarding the screening I attended of the God awful remake of TDTESS, so what? I should think someone who has contributed so much to theses forums should have license to get off the beaten track from time to time. Never mind the fact that the majority of the folks reading them seen to appreciate and enjoy reading them. Quite honestly if that is the case than I no longer want to be a part of this website. How sad

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on December 10, 2008 at 7:11 pm

Hello Everyone:

Haven’t been around here for awhile, but great to see this page so lively once again.

Happy Holidays to all-looking forward to “Benjamin Button” on Christmas Day at the Ziegfeld (my annual tradition)

AND TO ALL ZIEGFELD CLASSIC LOVERS:

Now is the time to drop Craig O' Connor an e-mail to suggest another ZIEGFELD CLASSIC SERIES this winter/spring. Send him your titles, he is very receptive, and the more e-mails, the better.

Great to be back here,
See you at the Ziegfeld

Best

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on December 10, 2008 at 6:43 pm

I don’t understand — who here has the power to delete postings?

William
William on December 10, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Now a days people have to watch out what they post if they work doing pre-screenings of major studio films. The person doing the post to the internet can be fired by their company for the information. Where you might think of the info as a Cinema Treasure exclusive it could get that person into alot of hot water.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 10, 2008 at 4:11 pm

Howard: sure there are movie blogs, all over the place, but none of them had any reviews of that particular movie, including the one you gave a link to. I’m sure today there are reviews everywhere, but before today there were none and Vito’s was the first I’d seen, at 10 AM this morning. It was a true Cinema Treasures exclusive, a scoop if you will, and didn’t deserve to be erased.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 10, 2008 at 3:41 pm

For Chelsea see

/theaters/13816/

that’s the page now to post “Earthquake” recollections.

chuckc
chuckc on December 10, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Since I love disaster movies I just wanted to remind other fans that the chelsea is showing EARTHQUAKE on Dec 18th. Its part of there clearview classic series. I’ll be there! Does anyone know anything about that theater.

Chuck
HERES the link!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 10, 2008 at 3:10 pm

I just googled. Today there are actual movie reviews of the movie online. Vito didn’t exactly receive an exclusive premiere with only him in the audience. Again, let’s not lose sight that this is the Ziegfeld page!

To that mattter, I asked if anybody saw the Godfather I and II presentations this year?
I’ll be eager to know about “Che” since I doubt I will attend.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 10, 2008 at 3:03 pm

Bill, “no” and apparently you saying that the Internet doesn’t have a Movie discussion blog?? I quickly glanced and found one or more. Here’s one.

LuisV
LuisV on December 10, 2008 at 2:53 pm

The Ridgewood Theatre page is the only one that I have had to remove from notifications of postings. It was infuriating to be constantly interrupted by neighborhood nonsense. That said, Ridgewood is the only theater, I think, that suffers from that level of abuse.

If there are going to be censors, they should start at the page where the problem truly exists. The problem is not at The Ziegfeld.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 10, 2008 at 2:27 pm

It’s funny – the kind of personal posts LuisV describes clutter up the Ridgewood page, too many to even deal with. And yet this morning, an actual movie business professional posts the very first opinion I’ve been able to find on the Internet (and believe me, I’ve been looking) of an eagerly awaited major motion picture – albeit a negative opinion – and in a matter of minutes it’s wiped off the page like it never existed.

Howard, you don’t happen to be an executive at 20th Century-Fox, do you? :)

LuisV
LuisV on December 10, 2008 at 12:45 pm

I agree that it is, indeed difficult to draw the line. While I persoanlly don’t mind reading posts about movies or comments related to other theaters on a theater page, I am annoyed when people start talking the guy who used to own the dry cleaner around the corner form the building and “Did you know Mrs. Krabapple who ran the sode fountain downt the street, etc….. That kind of conversation should be done privately and not clutter up this page.

Now, about the issue of the Curtains not being used consistently at The Ziegfeld……..How complicated could it possibly be? I want the curtains used at every single performance. It is the one experience that truly harkens back to the old era. I really get a warm feeling inside every time I attend a performance that does it.

JeffS
JeffS on December 10, 2008 at 12:15 pm

“Above at August 15, 2008, the site’s policy is reiterated.”

From 8/15:

“Posting off-topic comments that taunt or bait other users”

Nobody “taunted or baited” anyone. That’s the only thing I can see from the August 15th post “rules” about “off topic” posts. You had no right to delete posts because the guys were discussing another film at some other theater. I resent you acting as a self appointed censor. I agree with Bill, I want to hear ANYTHING that Vito has to say. Put the posts back.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 10, 2008 at 11:56 am

But there are always exceptions, right? I gave the reason up above as to why Vito posted what he did on this page. As far as I’m concerned, guys like Vito and REndres are HUMAN cinema treasures, and anything they have to say is something I’d want to hear.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 10, 2008 at 11:49 am

From my understanding, the Ridgewood page is so out of hand, nobody wishes to spend days cleaning it up. No other thread will be allowed to become a general forum, having nothing to do with the theater. Above at August 15, 2008, the site’s policy is reiterated.

Giles
Giles on December 10, 2008 at 11:40 am

[runs over to the Ridgewood Theater listing]

I assume ‘Che’ will be digitally projected at the Ziegfeld.

are the Harry Potter films digital or 35mm. I saw the first two films at the AFI Silver last year, and while they were in 35mm and looked great. I had forgotten how intense the soundmixes notably for ‘Chamber of Secrets’ is, the Quidditch scenes are quite a ride.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 10, 2008 at 11:34 am

To cite the worst example of what Jeff is referring to, the page for the Ridgewood Theater in Queens has literally hundreds of off-topic posts, many of them nothing to do with movies at all. I don’t think any of them have ever been deleted.

JeffS
JeffS on December 10, 2008 at 11:25 am

“When people receive emails in their mailboxes that there’s another Ziegfeld post, they expect it is actually about the Ziegfeld, NOT about any movie playing at other theaters.”

When I receive an email that there’s a message in the Ziegfeld thread, I expect it to be there, regardless of what it’s about. I don’t expect it to be deleted because “you didn’t like it”. Why don’t you apply the same rules to ALL THE OTHER THREADS on every other theater on CT that goes “off topic”? (and there are MANY) Don’t play censorship traffic cop here.