Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 1,126 - 1,150 of 4,057 comments

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on December 10, 2008 at 6:43 pm

I don’t understand — who here has the power to delete postings?

William
William on December 10, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Now a days people have to watch out what they post if they work doing pre-screenings of major studio films. The person doing the post to the internet can be fired by their company for the information. Where you might think of the info as a Cinema Treasure exclusive it could get that person into alot of hot water.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 10, 2008 at 4:11 pm

Howard: sure there are movie blogs, all over the place, but none of them had any reviews of that particular movie, including the one you gave a link to. I’m sure today there are reviews everywhere, but before today there were none and Vito’s was the first I’d seen, at 10 AM this morning. It was a true Cinema Treasures exclusive, a scoop if you will, and didn’t deserve to be erased.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 10, 2008 at 3:41 pm

For Chelsea see

/theaters/13816/

that’s the page now to post “Earthquake” recollections.

chuckc
chuckc on December 10, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Since I love disaster movies I just wanted to remind other fans that the chelsea is showing EARTHQUAKE on Dec 18th. Its part of there clearview classic series. I’ll be there! Does anyone know anything about that theater.

Chuck
HERES the link!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 10, 2008 at 3:10 pm

I just googled. Today there are actual movie reviews of the movie online. Vito didn’t exactly receive an exclusive premiere with only him in the audience. Again, let’s not lose sight that this is the Ziegfeld page!

To that mattter, I asked if anybody saw the Godfather I and II presentations this year?
I’ll be eager to know about “Che” since I doubt I will attend.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 10, 2008 at 3:03 pm

Bill, “no” and apparently you saying that the Internet doesn’t have a Movie discussion blog?? I quickly glanced and found one or more. Here’s one.

LuisV
LuisV on December 10, 2008 at 2:53 pm

The Ridgewood Theatre page is the only one that I have had to remove from notifications of postings. It was infuriating to be constantly interrupted by neighborhood nonsense. That said, Ridgewood is the only theater, I think, that suffers from that level of abuse.

If there are going to be censors, they should start at the page where the problem truly exists. The problem is not at The Ziegfeld.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 10, 2008 at 2:27 pm

It’s funny – the kind of personal posts LuisV describes clutter up the Ridgewood page, too many to even deal with. And yet this morning, an actual movie business professional posts the very first opinion I’ve been able to find on the Internet (and believe me, I’ve been looking) of an eagerly awaited major motion picture – albeit a negative opinion – and in a matter of minutes it’s wiped off the page like it never existed.

Howard, you don’t happen to be an executive at 20th Century-Fox, do you? :)

LuisV
LuisV on December 10, 2008 at 12:45 pm

I agree that it is, indeed difficult to draw the line. While I persoanlly don’t mind reading posts about movies or comments related to other theaters on a theater page, I am annoyed when people start talking the guy who used to own the dry cleaner around the corner form the building and “Did you know Mrs. Krabapple who ran the sode fountain downt the street, etc….. That kind of conversation should be done privately and not clutter up this page.

Now, about the issue of the Curtains not being used consistently at The Ziegfeld……..How complicated could it possibly be? I want the curtains used at every single performance. It is the one experience that truly harkens back to the old era. I really get a warm feeling inside every time I attend a performance that does it.

JeffS
JeffS on December 10, 2008 at 12:15 pm

“Above at August 15, 2008, the site’s policy is reiterated.”

From 8/15:

“Posting off-topic comments that taunt or bait other users”

Nobody “taunted or baited” anyone. That’s the only thing I can see from the August 15th post “rules” about “off topic” posts. You had no right to delete posts because the guys were discussing another film at some other theater. I resent you acting as a self appointed censor. I agree with Bill, I want to hear ANYTHING that Vito has to say. Put the posts back.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 10, 2008 at 11:56 am

But there are always exceptions, right? I gave the reason up above as to why Vito posted what he did on this page. As far as I’m concerned, guys like Vito and REndres are HUMAN cinema treasures, and anything they have to say is something I’d want to hear.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 10, 2008 at 11:49 am

From my understanding, the Ridgewood page is so out of hand, nobody wishes to spend days cleaning it up. No other thread will be allowed to become a general forum, having nothing to do with the theater. Above at August 15, 2008, the site’s policy is reiterated.

Giles
Giles on December 10, 2008 at 11:40 am

[runs over to the Ridgewood Theater listing]

I assume ‘Che’ will be digitally projected at the Ziegfeld.

are the Harry Potter films digital or 35mm. I saw the first two films at the AFI Silver last year, and while they were in 35mm and looked great. I had forgotten how intense the soundmixes notably for ‘Chamber of Secrets’ is, the Quidditch scenes are quite a ride.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 10, 2008 at 11:34 am

To cite the worst example of what Jeff is referring to, the page for the Ridgewood Theater in Queens has literally hundreds of off-topic posts, many of them nothing to do with movies at all. I don’t think any of them have ever been deleted.

JeffS
JeffS on December 10, 2008 at 11:25 am

“When people receive emails in their mailboxes that there’s another Ziegfeld post, they expect it is actually about the Ziegfeld, NOT about any movie playing at other theaters.”

When I receive an email that there’s a message in the Ziegfeld thread, I expect it to be there, regardless of what it’s about. I don’t expect it to be deleted because “you didn’t like it”. Why don’t you apply the same rules to ALL THE OTHER THREADS on every other theater on CT that goes “off topic”? (and there are MANY) Don’t play censorship traffic cop here.

Giles
Giles on December 10, 2008 at 11:18 am

or to continue the topic on hand, maybe Soderbergh could film ‘Cleopatra’ in 70mm and showcase them as such at theatres like the Ziegfeld that CAN project 70mm features.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 10, 2008 at 11:02 am

Oh wait … to make sure my post about the new “Cleopatra” doesn’t get deleted, I hope it plays at the Ziegfeld.

Sorry … couldn’t resist :)

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 10, 2008 at 10:59 am

I hear Soderbergh’s next project will be a remake of “Cleopatra”! I guess he’s been bitten by the extremely-long-movie bug.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 10, 2008 at 10:19 am

Giles added “The Defiance” I hadn’t realized “Benjamin Button” would be there for so little time. I’m borrowing a Chicago page post from a fellow who’s no stranger to NYC, so this starts at the Ziegfeld on Friday:

I work in a screening faciiltiy which does quite a bit of work for Steven Soderbergh, and we’ve been screening “Che” from early versions to the current roadshow version that is being released in some cities this week. It would indeed be ideal at the McClurg. The first half is in Scope, and the 2nd half after intermission is “Flat” or 1.85 aspect ratio. Both halves are preceeded by an Overture with maps on the screen highlighting locations in the respective half. There is also exit music for both halves. Their office is releasing a cue sheet with the picture that will include pictures taken from our screen showing the relationship of the subtitles to the frame. There are no plans to release the roadshow version on film, and all screenings will be done digitally, but it’s definitely the sort of thing the McClurg large house would have done.
posted by REndres on Dec 10, 2008 at 10:13am

Giles
Giles on December 10, 2008 at 9:18 am

drat! Howard beat me to posting the info by five minutes :)

Giles
Giles on December 10, 2008 at 9:16 am

according to the Ziegfeld’s website its:

Harry Potter Marathon: Dec 19-24

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Dec 25-30

The Defiance: Dec 31

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 10, 2008 at 9:11 am

Clearview’s website indicates that following the Harry Potter marathan, on Christmas Day, “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” will start at the Ziegfeld.