Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 1,126 - 1,150 of 4,046 comments

William
William on October 10, 2008 at 10:05 am

If you look at the Clearview site it shows that “High School Musical 3: Senior Year” opens on Oct. 24th. 2008.

KenJacowitz
KenJacowitz on October 10, 2008 at 9:57 am

Godfather 1 & 2 in new restored prints overseen by Coppola are now at the Film Foum, which makes me wonder if the Godfather films will be coming to the Ziegfeld. http://www.filmforum.org/films/godfather.html

And what IS showing at the Ziegfeld now?

The Ziegfeld is completely AWOL on Moviefone.

And on Cleaview Cinemas site, it simply says “Sorry, showtimes are not available for this theater on…” thru January 8, 2009 which is as far as the drop down menu goes.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on October 9, 2008 at 7:59 pm

I look forward to seeing The Godfather I and II (new director’s cut or something) when they open here shortly for a special engagement.

Rory
Rory on September 27, 2008 at 7:56 pm

Speaking of CHE…. I remember in either 1969 or 1970 seeing a double feature of CHE! (a dreadful movie, BTW) and THE SAND PEBBLES at a theatre on Long Island. I see on this page that THE SAND PEBBLES played as a reissue at the Ziegfeld on 06/17/70 for two weeks. I wonder if it was double featured with CHE! at some theatres in the NYC area, and out on the island, around that time and that was when I saw it? Anyone here have easy access to The New York Times on microfilm or maybe Newsday? That’s the only way I can think to find out.

neeb
neeb on September 25, 2008 at 8:12 am

Actually, Che is going to get a release. I think Magnolia picked up the rights.
It’s even going to play “roadshow” style with Intermission at the Zieg and the Landmark in Los Angeles.

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on September 25, 2008 at 3:13 am

Holy crap, Che is long. I can see why Soderbergh can’t find anyone in the US to release it.

But Del Toro looks like a badass in it.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on August 15, 2008 at 2:15 pm

Apology accepted.

By the way, if you have ever seen an Annette Funicello/Frankie Avalon movie, it is hardly an endorsement. “HSM3” will deliver the Hannah Montana tweenies in huge numbers based on the TV and DVD results of the first two. They should fill the house, if only for a weekend.

KenJacowitz
KenJacowitz on August 15, 2008 at 12:59 pm

I see that AlAlvarez has made valuable and interesting comments on other movie theatres in Cinema Treasures, and I do apologize for my unnecessary comments I left on the Ziegfeld page.

JeffS
JeffS on August 15, 2008 at 12:43 pm

The moon must be full, and the trolls are out.

Ziegfeld.

KenJacowitz
KenJacowitz on August 15, 2008 at 12:36 pm

You didn’t mention the name of the theatre, the Ziegfeld.

This is a forum about movie theatres.

JeffS
JeffS on August 15, 2008 at 12:30 pm

Excuse me Ken, who elected you Sheriff of this forum? We don’t need your sarcasm or petty comments about other people’s posts either.

KenJacowitz
KenJacowitz on August 15, 2008 at 11:29 am

These off-topic personal attacks clutter up theater comments, making it difficult to find what people are actually looking for â€" information and discussion about classic movie theaters. (They also prevent the people who created and help run this website from working on more important issues.)

Reminder: Keep comments on topic!
posted by Patrick Crowley on September 1, 2006 am30 5:30am
Lately, we’ve noticed many Cinema Treasures attacking each other. There are several theater pages where spirited debates about preservation have gotten increasingly personal.

So, to address this problem, we’d like to remind everyone about our terms of use. If you engage in any of the following actions, we will take appropriate action:

• Posting off-topic comments that taunt or bait other users

• Attacking or otherwise slandering fellow users, preservation officials, or theater managers â€" even if you have a legitimate grievance, this website isn’t the place for it

• Creating duplicate accounts for the purpose of attacking other Cinema Treasures users

• Posting comments that are racist, sexist, homophobic, slanderous, and otherwise against our terms of use.

The first time you violate any of theses rules you will receive a warning. The second time your posting privileges will be suspended for a month. The third time you will be banned from the site.

Please remember why we are all here â€" to discover, to preserve, and to protect. In the spirit of community and preservation, please leave the personal attacks out on the playground, so to speak, where they belong.

Thanks for your help!

Patrick Crowley & Ross Melnick
Cinema Treasures

KenJacowitz
KenJacowitz on August 15, 2008 at 11:26 am

Thank you for adding “Zieg”.

You’ve earned your salary from whatever movie company you work publicizing movies/

Who cares? Don’t you have anything better to do? Are you 12?

This is a site about movie theatres.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on August 15, 2008 at 11:05 am

Ahem! “HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3: SENIOR YEAR” opens at the Zieg this fall.

KenJacowitz
KenJacowitz on August 15, 2008 at 9:12 am

If you don’t even mention the name of the theatre, The Ziegfeld, your leaving comments on the wrong page.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on August 15, 2008 at 6:44 am

Imagine what would happen if Disney decided to make one of those 60’s Annette Funicello/Frankie Avalon “Beach Party” movies and you have “High School Musical”.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on August 14, 2008 at 3:34 pm

Benjamin Button looks interesting from the preview I saw. Brad Pitt regresses from old age to his youth or something along those lines and Cate Blanchett is his co-star. It looks like an interesting pairing and story. HS Musical 3? I’ll pass. Don’t know much about the others. I bet the Ziegfeld will get DP versions of those movies, if not most.

owenspierre81
owenspierre81 on August 14, 2008 at 2:34 pm

According to the Clearview Cinemas website, there are a few Fall/Holiday flicks coming to the Ziegfeld:

RIGHTEOUS KILL (September 12)
HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3: SENIOR YEAR (October 24)
QUANTUM OF SOLACE (November 7)
BOLT (November 26)
THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON (December 19)

Hope you guys reply to my comment. Thanks!

chuckc
chuckc on August 2, 2008 at 2:50 pm

While Mamma Mia isn’t nearly as polished as last years Hairspray I still thought it was a lot of fun!

rhett
rhett on July 26, 2008 at 6:44 am

Sand Pebbles Sept. 6th….I have the DVD and haven’t opened it yet, I was gonna watch it tonight actually, but now I’m gonna to see it on the big screen…how bout it Pete? what other tidbits can you give us about the next BigScreen series????

Rory
Rory on July 22, 2008 at 12:08 pm

Damn! I’m suffern ‘cause I can’t get to Suffern! Ziegfeld Man, if you haven’t watched the DVD yet, wait to see THE SAND PEBBLES there — if you can go.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 21, 2008 at 8:48 am

Wow Pete – that’s a good one to start the season off right!

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on July 21, 2008 at 6:39 am

Ziegfeld Man –

Regarding Steve McQueen in “The Sand Pebbles”, keep September 6 open for a drive to the Lafayette Theatre in Suffern… :)

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on July 20, 2008 at 9:31 pm

I thought there was an appealingly earthy rock-and-roll edge to his singing; at least it was all in key.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 20, 2008 at 5:51 pm

I’m convinced Brosnan’s bad singing was an intentional part of the show. At the climax of his first big solo number “SOS”, the orchestra started getting louder and drowning him out to the point where you could barely hear him anymore. That had to have been planned!