Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 1,126 - 1,150 of 4,351 comments

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on February 9, 2010 at 8:23 am

Hi Guys:

Vito, I know exactly what you’re talking about. I’ll try my best and appreciate tne input.

Best,

Gary

Vito
Vito on February 8, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Bill we received instructions on many pictures with regard to the roadshow presention. In the case of “WSS” and “My Fair lady” specific requests were made due to the unusual overtures which included images. Most if not all requests were granted with the execption of “Hello Dolly”,Fox had asked that the curtains be fully opened as the Fox logo came up after ther overture.
That request, at least in my theatre, was denied.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 8, 2010 at 10:45 am

Vito: wasn’t that the way Robert Wise himself wanted the picture to be presented? I think you told us that on one of the CT pages, some time ago.

Vito
Vito on February 8, 2010 at 9:58 am

Gary please see to it that they present the picture properly
At the sound of the first whistle the house lights should begin to dim and then the curtain opens with the first beat of the music over the imaged overture.
Some prefer to open the curtain(s) at the first whistle to a blank screen but I ran the picture several times, once as a roadshow for just over six months, and can tell you the effect is far better with closed curtain.
Try it I think you will like it.

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on February 7, 2010 at 10:50 am

Hi Everyone:

My introduction to “West Side Story” has been moved to the following day, Saturday, February 13 at 4:30 PM.

HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!

(AND WALK TALL—WE ALWAYS WALK TALL…….)

Best,

Gary

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 4, 2010 at 7:21 am

Excellent pictures, David. Thanks. I was looking for myself in them since I was one of those opening day first-show patrons, but no luck. I’ll never forget the sight of those protestors advancing toward the Ziegfeld from 6th Ave. and 54th carrying all those signs, and seeing the cops stationed at either side of the screen. It was all a little scary, but the movie was great and absolutely worth it.

DavidMorgan
DavidMorgan on February 4, 2010 at 6:28 am

I have uploaded some pictures I took of the demonstration outside the Ziegfeld on the day “Last Temptation of Christ” opened in August 1988.

Cheers,

David Morgan, “Wide Angle/Closeup: Conversations With Filmmakers”

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on January 29, 2010 at 9:30 am

Hello Everyone:

The Ziegfeldman (that’s me) is returning to introduce the evening performance of West Side Story on Friday Feb. 12. I recently saw (last August) a print at Lincoln Center, which looked fabulous and Eliot Feld ( Baby John ) was there to tell some cool stories.

SO BUDDY BOYS, WE’RE GOING TO DO GOOD.

HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL THERE!!!!

Best,

Gary

ErikH
ErikH on January 29, 2010 at 8:54 am

The Clearview site now includes “Funny Girl.” BTW, a restored print of “Funny Girl” was shown at the Ziegfeld in September 2001—-I think the engagement was to help promote the imminent DVD release. I attended a screening on the weekend before 9/11. The 35MM print looked terrific, and the Ziegfeld gave it the full roadshow treatment (overture, intermission including entracte music, etc.). Surprising that Clearview decided to book “Funny Girl” again, as I don’t think that the brief reissue in 2001 attracted much of an audience.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on January 27, 2010 at 2:16 pm

The Clearview website is announcing West Side Story (no shows on the 17th), but there’s nothing yet about Funny Girl.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on January 27, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Separate admissions?

William
William on January 27, 2010 at 1:55 pm

There has always been 70MM prints of West Side Story available. Funny Girl has only been available in 35mm with the digital sound formats now.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on January 27, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I’ve read about a fairly new 70mm print of WSS circulating, but Funny Girl? On the 40th anniversary in 2008, they played a new print at DC’s Uptown but it wasn’t 70mm. MPol, are you listening? :D

William
William on January 27, 2010 at 1:14 pm

In 70MM would really be a dream come true.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on January 27, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Thanks Craig! There’s nothing like “West Side Story” at the Ziegfeld.

If you’re out there, MPol, this is your dream come true.

therock1
therock1 on January 27, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to let everyone know that we will be presenting a special engagement of WEST SIDE STORY and FUNNY GIRL at The Ziegfeld for one week only – Friday, February 12th – Thursday, February 18th.

Tickets should be on sale by this Friday, Jan. 29th.

As always, you guys are the first to know!

Many thanks
Craig O'Connor
Clearview Cinemas

PassedPawn
PassedPawn on January 26, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Haven’t seen too many films at the Zigfield, especially since I had Lowe’s Orpheum 1 on 86 St. as my regular go to for “big” movies. I viewed Dracula (79), Raiders of the Lost Ark (82 re-release), and Phantom Menace there and enjoyed seeing those movies at the Zigfield, particularly Dracula which fit the feel of the theater very nicely.

atb
atb on January 22, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Theater is closed until “shutter island.” “Alice in Wonderland” is next.

Saw “Nine” last Saturday night at the 9:45 show. Flawless digital projection and, as always, incredible sound.

However, I counted less than 150 people in the theater… hard to make the house nut when you have booked a bomb.

RobertR
RobertR on January 22, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Bart
Almost since inception the Ziegfeld has closed for weeks and sometimes months at a time between bookings or for private screenings.

bartszyszka
bartszyszka on January 22, 2010 at 11:45 am

I think the Ziegfeld Theater is closing. I called them and the lady on the phone said that they’re closed until further notice. When I asked if they’re under construction she just said “no” and didn’t want to elaborate. Nine might have been the last movie playing there. I saw it listed there just last week.

sporridge
sporridge on January 1, 2010 at 8:35 am

Forgive me for going slightly off topic (visited and savored the Ziegfeld for “Ironman” on a past trip to The City), but since we have some projectionists in the room, a question:

Do digital projectors have settings to adjust the image (and especially titles/text/subtitles) to a particular screen’s curvature? Muvico Pompano (Pompano Beach FL) installed Sony 4K digital projectors in all 18 auditoriums, and any time there’s horizontal text it lines up straight across, not following the curve.

A minor nuisance, yes, but it the industry succeeds in making digital projection the norm this new decade, it would help with aesthetics.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on January 1, 2010 at 5:36 am

Yes, DREAMGIRLS opened here and the Ziegfeld was built in 1969, before disability laws came into being.

Vietnam veteran Ron Kovic famously handcuffed himself to the front door in protest after his film, BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY opened its exclusive run at this inaccessible theatre in 1989.

“NINE” is based on Fellini’s “8 ½”, the story of a writer/director having an emotional breakdown just before starting to film a movie for which he has failed to write a screenplay. The fact that it lacks a plot, or even a part for his star (Nicole Kidman), IS the whole point of the movie.

Myron
Myron on January 1, 2010 at 3:41 am

We visited the Ziegfeld yesterday. It was a pleasure to visit a theatre with a big screen, not a multiplex. They still know how to show a film. Didn’t a curtain use to rise at the start of the film or am I imagining things? Does anybody recall if “Dreamgirls” was shown here? The sound was terrific unfortunately the story of “Nine” was weak. Our only complaint is that there is no elevator. We have problems walking on steps and lose our balance on escalators. We had no choice but to climb up and down steep stairs twice. I thought there was a law that theatres had to be accessible to handicapped or those with disabilities.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 29, 2009 at 10:08 pm

We are playing NINE—-IN DTS 7.0—SOUNDS LIKE YOUR IN THE PIT ON BROADWAY!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 29, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Thanks, Gary, for your reminiscence. You made me realize that the Ziegfeld is 40 years old this month. I’d forgotten all about that.