Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 1,126 - 1,150 of 4,115 comments

Bill Huelbig on December 19, 2008 at 5:50 pm

In the lobby after the show, there were a number of teens from the class who looked terribly embarrassed and upset by what some of the others had done. It’s good to know that the bad behavior was not running rampant through the whole group.

MPol
MPol on December 19, 2008 at 5:35 pm

Sorry about the experience that you had with annoying kids during the movie, Bill Huelbig. It’s pretty disgusting—the way so many kids behave. I know that when we were kids growing up and seeing the movies in a real movie theatre that any kid(s) who were rude, disrespectful or loud during a movie were promptly shut up by their friends, and/or threatened with expulsion by the usher if they kept up that kind of behaviour. Now, since so many parents of today indulge their kids and let them do what they want, and a lot of child advocacy groups take on this sort of a “spare the rod and spoil the child” attitude, which has backfired pretty horrendously.

Bill Huelbig on December 19, 2008 at 5:15 pm

The movie portrays him as practically a saint. The director chose not to dramatize the dark side of Che.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on December 19, 2008 at 5:11 pm

“He was screaming at them, that they disrespected the real Che…”

Somebody still thought Che Guevara earned respect after the movie was over?

William
William on December 19, 2008 at 4:51 pm

Unless they just put it in, then no. Only a few locations in the city have the Sony 4K projector (2 screening rooms and the Sunshine Theatre)

Bill Huelbig on December 19, 2008 at 4:32 pm

Can anyone confirm whether “Che” was shown on a Sony 4K projector? Thanks.

Bill Huelbig on December 18, 2008 at 6:33 pm

Another tactic the annoying kids pulled: whenever somebody shushed them they’d all shush back, in unison. They seemed very hard to get through to. No wonder that guy was so angry on the way out. He was screaming at them, that they disrespected the real Che and everybody who made the movie.

Bill Huelbig on December 18, 2008 at 6:22 pm

I almost said something to one of the ushers who are constantly checking the thermostats near the front of the Ziegfeld, but those kids seemed to be spread out evenly all around the theater, so I doubt she could’ve done anything about it. I’m with you, saps – this is a job for a matron with a flashlight.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on December 18, 2008 at 5:57 pm

Bring back matrons! With flashlights!

MPol
MPol on December 18, 2008 at 5:21 pm

What a drag! The usher should get tough on rude patrons who behave inappropriately, regardless of their age, and tell them to either be quiet or leave. If I were an usher at a movie theatre, especially a movie palace like the Ziegfeld or any other movie palace, that’s what I’d do.

Bill Huelbig on December 18, 2008 at 4:36 pm

Another unusual thing about “Che”: it was shot in two different aspect ratios, very wide 2.35:1 for the first part and regular widescreen 1.85:1 for the second. The second part was pretty much a downer all the way, so maybe the director felt the expansive full wide screen wasn’t appropriate for that part of the story.

Bill Huelbig on December 18, 2008 at 4:29 pm

Just got back from “Che”. Let’s get the bad stuff out of the way first: it was way too long, especially Part Two which was basically the same scene over and over again, until finally giving way to a very affecting finale. It could easily have been cut by an hour.

Now for the good: the film was filled with beautiful images. It looks like the most impressive digitally-shot movie yet (maybe they invented a new and better digital camera?) Benicio Del Toro was very good in the title role. The film had no on-screen credits, but everyone got a free program with all credits listed, just like “Apocalypse Now” at the Ziegfeld in 1979. And it was a real thrill just to see an “Intermission” title card again, after all these years. And to hear an overture and exit music.

They used the curtains, and there were no commercials or previews. In fact, I missed a few minutes of the overture because it started at 1 PM on the dot. There were some rowdy schoolkids in the crowd (quite a big crowd for a 1 PM show on a Thursday, by the way) who were talking out loud, laughing hysterically when people on the screen were getting shot, etc. There was almost a fistfight in the lobby when an angry patron confronted them about it on the way out.

alps
alps on December 16, 2008 at 7:18 pm

I think it was a good thing that the Ziegfeld showed Che the way it did. I attended the Friday screening. I loved the first part since it was the rise of Che. the second being his down fall. Love it or not, it was real cinema something this country rarely produces anymore. The ziegfeld’s massive screen, was a great frame for it. Comments about it’s running time are disturbing given that this is a website for those who love cinema or is it cinemas? Pay no attention to film critics, one has to look far and wide for a good one. The New York Post and the Metro being the worst reviewers on the face of the planet! And they get paid, go figure. There is a film reviewer in Philadelphia named Matt Prige, who gave Casablanca an A-, and thinks Citizen Kane is overrated. But, I believe these 60 plus year old films should not be subjected to assinine letter grades. Looking forward to Ziegfeld Classics 2009, Metropolis and the Searchers, are among my choices.

JeffS
JeffS on December 13, 2008 at 11:40 am

Oh by the way, for any one that’s interested. If you were planning on attending “It’s a Wonderful Life” next Saturday at the Lafayette in Suffern NY, you should know the show is already ½ sold out from online & box office pre-sales. If you want to go, either get there real early, or go to the bigscreenclassic.com page for order instructions. Merry Xmas!

JeffS
JeffS on December 13, 2008 at 11:37 am

“One good thing about the remakes: they make you appreciate the quality of the originals more than you ever thought possible.”

How true!

There were no kind words for this film at the Lafayette this morning.

Bill Huelbig on December 13, 2008 at 6:44 am

I hear they’re also remaking “The Birds”. There should be an unwritten law in Hollywood: Don’t Remake Hitchcock.

JeffS
JeffS on December 13, 2008 at 6:33 am

The key is “will the film pay for itself”. They usually do, especially given the home after market.

So they will keep making these films as long as there is money to be made.

It’s always about the money. Not the quality. You can be sure all involved though it was a good project and a great film, but I said it earlier. You can’t remake classic.

Bill Huelbig on December 13, 2008 at 6:23 am

No spoilers, just major disappointment. How do we get Hollywood to call off the planned remake of “Forbidden Planet”? Based on the sci-fi remake track record, they should just not bother.

JeffS
JeffS on December 13, 2008 at 6:09 am

Bill: Spoilers at that link? I don’t want to read it if there are spoilers.

markp
markp on December 12, 2008 at 10:16 pm

Hi Vito, nice to hear from you again. Ross is a great guy. I know a few months ago he helped when I could not log onto CT. On a seperate note, if todays business where I work is any indication, TDTESS is not long for the theatres.

Bill Huelbig on December 12, 2008 at 7:20 pm

Vito, I just got back. You were right.

More details here:

/theaters/7222/

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on December 12, 2008 at 10:53 am

Yeah, five hours is a bit much. “Benjamin Button,” which is almost three hours, has received great advanced word, but that’s my Ziegfeld Christmas.

Vito: I’m taking a chance with TDTESS, but ONLY because I’m going with a group to the IMAX. Sometimes the IMAX experience is good no matter what you’re watching. Which reminds me that although I didn’t care much for “Sweeney Todd” last Christmas, I still enjoyed being in a packed Ziegfeld with a great audience.

Counting the days till those Classics. And I personally want to thank everyone here who turned me on to the Lafayette Classics, even though this is the Ziegfeld page.

Best

Bill Huelbig on December 12, 2008 at 10:47 am

Speaking of money: To anyone who IS considering seeing “Che”: the one-week engagement now at the Ziegfeld is the full 4 hour 18 minute film with a 30-minute intermission. Early next year it will be released as two separate movies with two separate admissions. If you want to save some money, see it at the Ziegfeld before Thursday!

JeffS
JeffS on December 12, 2008 at 10:43 am

Save your money and buy another BD disc.

Bill Huelbig on December 12, 2008 at 10:39 am

I just don’t want to fall asleep on it. At my age, you know … :) The reviews have not been great either.