Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 1,126 - 1,150 of 3,969 comments

chuckc
chuckc on July 7, 2008 at 5:17 pm

Does anyone know when the classic series will come back to the Ziegfield? Id give my right arm if they would get The Poseidon Adventure! www.entertainmenttodayandbeyond.com

Giles
Giles on July 7, 2008 at 6:34 am

as far as I understand it, the Ziegfeld has a 2K NEC system.

As for the movie my thought was that for only an 82 minute movie there was barely a plot.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on July 7, 2008 at 1:17 am

My friend and I caught the 7:30pm (Sun 7/6) showing of “Hancock” showing in DP. There was an article circulating that indicated that Sony was debuting this movie in 4K DP across the country. I don’t know if this venue had it and if it did, it didn’t seem noticeably better than 2K. The ticket taker didn’t know either. He just said to enjoy the movie as its is “crystal clear.” Okay fine.

There was a sparse audience that seemed to enjoy the movie in spite of the fact that there was no curtains drawn or opened at any time prior to the movie or at the close of it. And no Dolby Cinema trailer or any DP trailer to denote the system used to project the movie either. As far as the movie is concerned, I’d give it two snores and several yawns. For those who were in attendance at this showing, it was me snoring in row 5 during parts of the movie. Sorry.

LuisV
LuisV on June 28, 2008 at 11:13 am

I left out one of my favorite Broadway Musicals: Avenue Q!

Ziegfeld Man…thanks for your comment. Every time I go to the New Amsterdam, I just marvel at what an incredible theater it is and to think that just over 12 years ago it had gaping holes in its roof!

I consider the New Amsterdam, arguably, the most beautiful theater in New York and possibly the country. Marcus Loew famously said “I don’t sell tickets to movies, I sell tickets to theaters!” More often than not, I decide what movie I go see based upon what theater it’s playing at. Over the years, theater operators lost that incite.

I will see a movie at The Ziegfeld that I generally wouldn’t attend at another theater because I love going to the Ziegfeld. I also find the Ziegfeld a beautiful theater in its own right. The last surviving example of the “Modern” Movie Palace before the era of the multiplex.

I hope, one day, The Ziegfeld will enjoy the same landmark protection status that most of the other Broadway Houses have. I think it truly deserves it.

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on June 26, 2008 at 4:12 pm

Ah!! The New Amsterdam—with great anticipation I followed the resurrection in the 90’s and was there the second or third night of “King David” which reopened the theatre. I couldn’t wait to get back and saw “The Lion King” in December of 1997, the year it opened.
When “Mary Poppins” moved in, I returned again just to marvel at the place—there is nothing, in my mind, to compare to it.

They give tours—do yourself a favor and see it, if you haven’t.

This is why I must confess that there are so many times I have been to the Ziegfeld REGARDLESS of what’s playing. I absolutely hated “Phantom of the Opera,” but was happy to be at the Ziegfeld on Christmas day…where I am, actually, every Christmas day.

Best

LuisV
LuisV on June 26, 2008 at 2:15 pm

One more thing…..on any given day, I have a broad selection of Broadway Offerings that I would like to see. I can’t say the same of the movie offerings that Hollywood is currently putting out.

William
William on June 26, 2008 at 1:01 pm

For the weekend Friday was the better day for the film in the 5 theatres.
6/20 $98,657 gross 0% change 5 theatres $19,731 per theatre
Total Gross: $98,657

6/21 $61,260 gross -37.91% change 5 theatres $12,252 per theatre
Total Gross: $159,917

6/22 $60,380 gross -1.44% change 5 theatres $12,076 per theatre
Total Gross: $220,297

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on June 26, 2008 at 12:40 pm

$44,500 per theatre for “KK” means an attendance of only 2,225 if admission price was $20 per head (regardless of age). Over a three day weekend, that means a bit over 700 tickets sold per day. I would describe that as “terrible” business, to say the least.

LuisV
LuisV on June 26, 2008 at 8:55 am

Well Leon, then you must not like Broadway Musicals because there are many excellent productions currently on the Great White Way. I’ll name a few: Hairspray, Jersey Boys, Mamma Mia, Wicked, Lion King, In the Heights, Gypsy, Curtains, Xanadu, South Pacific, Sunday in the Park with George. All are wonderful productions. I’ll throw in August Osage County and Boeing Boeing as well if you want some outstanding straight plays.

Also, let’s not forget that live theater has saved many of the theaters that we still have today including one of the most beautiful palaces, The New Amsterdam. Movies didn’t save then. Live theater did.

I wouldn’t mind paying $30 or so to see a great film. I did spend $25 to see Dreamgirls at The Ziegfeld and it was money well spent. If I had $100 to $150 though, I’d choose a Brodaway Musical every time!

KingBiscuits
KingBiscuits on June 25, 2008 at 7:30 pm

Kit Kittredge did $44,500 per theatre on opening weekend. That’s especially good since all the other theatres showing it (in Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas and Atlanta) were megaplexes. Makes you wonder if the New York average was higher than the average (more like $60,000-70,000).

And a question for Michael Coate: wasn’t 70mm DTS tested at this theatre for My Fair Lady? I remember reading that on in70mm.com.

chuckc
chuckc on June 25, 2008 at 5:33 pm

I wish the Dark knight was coming to the Ziegfield.
Please check out my new movie blog
or www.entertainmenttodayandbeyond.com

roxy1927
roxy1927 on June 20, 2008 at 8:31 am

A single theater roadshow for the mezz should be $48.00 if it is figured out compared to Broadway prices today. This does not figure in premium pricing for a hit film which would then bring it to 100.00 to 150.00.
Would I pay that to see some of my favorite 70mm films at the old Odeon Leicester, NY Criterion or Rivoli?
Yeah. I mean I ’d rather spend money on that than todays Broadway musicals.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 20, 2008 at 7:48 am

It’s $20 for everybody. And the free gift is a T-shirt.

This movie is actually getting some good reviews. It’s old-fashioned, and that’s meant as a rare compliment. I hope it does well at the Ziegfeld.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on June 20, 2008 at 7:31 am

The $20 admission for “Kit Kittredge” includes a “free gift.” Ads don’t specify if the $20 is just for adults or for everybody. I wonder if kids and seniors pay less? If so, do they also receive a gift?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on June 20, 2008 at 7:18 am

Wonderful! the Ziegfeld opened for NYC exclusives, not to compete with numerous nearby moviehouses. 1960s Road Show prices today would be higher than $20.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 20, 2008 at 7:10 am

It is a New York area exclusive at the Ziegfeld till July 1st, and that strategy worked well for “Dreamgirls” at $25. And everyone gets a free gift (?).

DARCYDT
DARCYDT on June 20, 2008 at 6:47 am

$20 for Kit Kittredge: All American Girl being shown here, ridiculous.

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on June 16, 2008 at 6:01 pm

Hi Jeff:

I certainly plan on returning to the Lafayette many times and look forward to meeting you again and/or, hopefully, at the Ziegfeld where I intend to nudge Craig to get some classics going in the fall.
Regardless, this was my second time at the Lafayette (first was “Jason and the Argonauts”) and I have to tell you that I feel incredibly fortunate in having discovered the place mainly through this Ziegfeld page.

Best

JeffS
JeffS on June 16, 2008 at 11:48 am

Ziegfeld Man:

You were at the Lafayette on Saturday. In fact, we met each other, but didn’t know it. I’m the one you asked if I was Pete, and I took you up the stairs and pointed him out to you. By the time I asked Pete who you were, I couldn’t locate you again. Maybe next season, hopefully if they get Jolson Sings Again.

alps
alps on June 10, 2008 at 7:14 pm

Thank goodness, the Ziegfeld will be showing Indiana Jones for one more week!!! I will be traveling from Philly to, GET MY TICKET, GRAB MY POPCORN AND RETURN TO THE EDGE OF MY SEAT!!!!!!!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 28, 2008 at 10:49 am

I’m hoping “Mamma Mia” will be an exclusive run at the Ziegfeld only, like “Chicago” and “Dreamgirls” before it. For a week or two anyway.

owenspierre81
owenspierre81 on May 28, 2008 at 10:34 am

My predictions about HANCOCK and MAMMA MIA were absolutely right.
The action comedy HANCOCK will be shown at the Ziegfeld beginning
July 2nd and after that, the big screen version of the MAMMA MIA
will also be shown at the Ziegfeld beginning July 18th, according
to the Clearview Cinemas website. Am I smart or just good?

owenspierre81
owenspierre81 on May 28, 2008 at 10:33 am

My predictions about HANCOCK and MAMMA MIA were absolutely right.
The action comedy HANCOCK will be shown at the Ziegfeld beginning
July 2nd and after that, the big screen version of the MAMMA MIA
will also be shown at the Ziegfeld beginning July 18th, according
to the Clearview Cinemas website. Am I smart or just good?

edblank
edblank on May 27, 2008 at 10:05 pm

Does anyone disagree that this offers the most majestic movie experience (with the possible exception of IMAX) left in New York?

edblank
edblank on May 26, 2008 at 7:33 pm

Having had several rewarding visits to the Ziegfeld in its early years, including “Sleuth,” I was often dismayed when I vitied NYC in later years to find that it was temporarily closed (“for repairs” or otherwise). Until I read here the long lists of Ziegfeld bookings, decade by decade, and noted the many times the theater was closed for weeks at a stretch – and invariably during my twice-annual visits in early spring and late fall, I had no idea why my timing always seemed to be unlucky. It wasn’t just unlucky timing. I was always facing the probability that the theater would be closed when I happened to be in town. I did luck into a screening of one of the later “Star Wars” films once.