Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 101 - 125 of 4,064 comments

mhvbear
mhvbear on October 2, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Looks like 35mm prints at the Chelsea and Union Square. I am surprised either one still had 35mm equipment.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 2, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Hello-

I do hope Interstellar gives this theater a nice boost. but is it really necessary to order tickets in advance? since the studios started opening films at 2,000-3,000 theaters on the same I don’t think its necessary. I have found that no matter how well received a film is critically you know you’ll get a seat even on Sat. and Sun.. in the past few years the only time I have seen a substantial crowd was the day after Christmas 2012 when I saw Les Miserables. the theater was approx. a 3rd full.

mhvbear
mhvbear on October 2, 2014 at 11:48 am

Tickets are on sale for the 70mm presentation of ‘Interstellar’. The print version of the film is getting a 2 day jump on the Digital release. Hopefully this will give the old girl a bump. The only other 70mm print will be at the Cinema 1. With the 15/70mm print at the Lincoln Square IMAX. Any 35mm prints in NYC? I didn’t see any listed. https://interstellar.withgoogle.com/ways-to-see

thebrat
thebrat on October 1, 2014 at 1:03 pm

It appears that Interstellar will be showing here in standard 70MM. I hope this isn’t another “The Master” in regards to surround sound.

Please, oh I beg please, Bow-Tie, do NOT fuck this up.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 22, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 22, 2014 at 2:15 pm

According to the New York Times, A Daughter of the Gods opened October 17, 1916 at the Lyric theater; review was headlined: KELLERMANN FILM SHOWN AT THE LYRIC; “Daughter of the Gods” an Elaborate Amphibious Picture for the Submersible Star."

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 22, 2014 at 1:20 pm

to Al A.–

you have always been most kind to help me with my inquiries so I have a good one.I hope you don’t mind me posting it on this page since I have no idea what page would be best. do you know of a site that would convert 1916 dollars to 2014 dollars? the reason i ask is simple. as you know at least 50% of feature films from the silent era are lost. one HUGE film from that era I have always wished would be found is A Daughter of the Gods from 1916 starring Annette Kellerman. it cost a cool $1,000,000 the 1st American film to do so. so I always wondered what that $1,000,000 of 1916 would be in 2014 dollars.

NYer
NYer on September 21, 2014 at 3:29 pm

20th Century Fox opened their animated “Anastasia” in a world wide exclusive on November 14 1997. Opening ad in photos.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 21, 2014 at 12:14 pm

“MOULIN ROUGE” was exclusive only for two weeks. “EDWARD SCISSORHANDS” opened in the boroughs after three weeks, but the Ziegfeld run was a Manhattan exclusive for over two months.

jw1968
jw1968 on September 21, 2014 at 10:59 am

Didn’t Moulin Rouge open exclusively at the Ziegfeld in May 2001?

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 19, 2014 at 10:37 am

bigjoe59, the answer might be “EDWARD SCISSORHANDS”.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 18, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Hello to All-

has anyone remembered what the last new studio film to play this theater on an exclusive run was? obviously such films as the restored Vertigo and the special 2 week runs of The Princess and the Frog and Dreamgirls before they opened wide don’t count. I can’t remember so thanks for the assistance.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on September 18, 2014 at 2:09 pm

cmbussmann loud previews seems to be the thing. We have Regal and Carolina cinemas here and the loudness of the previews is ridiculous.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on September 18, 2014 at 12:07 pm

This is the most famous Bow Tie Cinema in the world.

Bruce C.
Bruce C. on September 18, 2014 at 7:27 am

I love this theater and make an attempt to go each time I am in NYC. Personally, I am not concerned with the curtain. I am more annoyed by rude audience members (using cell phones, talking, etc.) but they won’t keep me from going to the movies.

cmbussmann
cmbussmann on September 18, 2014 at 6:56 am

Hadn’t been to the Ziegfeld in awhile, not since Bow Tie took over, and I thought they had the place looking nice. My only complaint (I’m not as big on the curtain as others here are) is that the previews were way too loud, much louder than the feature. I was tempted to get my earplugs out!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 10, 2014 at 5:17 am

I like that photo, the one with the curtain. I posted it. I’ve taken my own photos but not as nice as this one. During the years we weren’t allowed to post photos, somebody sent that photo to me with the request that I share it, which is what I did. Haven’t seen the curtain close at the Ziegfeld in a while, so can’t take new photos with current camera of it closed.

Today’s movie theaters are starting to also not even use masking! New multiplexes & redone movie houses have decided that with digital film, masking isn’t needed, even when the screen isn’t filled with the movie image. So we keep going further away from proper presentations….

Vito
Vito on September 10, 2014 at 3:14 am

Thanks for speaking out against that photo with the curtain open. I cringe every time I see it, a harsh reminder of what our theatres have changed for the worst. A naked screen must never be shown in a theatre like the Ziegfeld. Leave that to the little boxes they call theatres theses days. I too will click on to the proper picture to keep it alive thanks for the hint.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 9, 2014 at 10:20 am

It is changed based on the number of views each photo gets. The one with the most views gets to be on the front page of the listing. I went in and looked at the closed curtain photo ten times, to help boost its numbers and keep it up front. It’s currently on page six of the photos, so jump to that page and have a look. Or ten.

markp
markp on September 9, 2014 at 8:33 am

To whoever keeps changing the photo, please leave the one with the curtain closed, as opposed to the one with the screen ad showing on the screen.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 8, 2014 at 2:56 pm

The AMC, Bowtie and City Cinema discounts are good seven days a week, not just on the weekends. Bowtie offers the discount at its Chelsea house and all other locations but not at its Ziegfeld location.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 8, 2014 at 11:29 am

Hello to All-

in reference to Al A.’s comment about the 3 big AMC multiplexes being cash cows. you have to remember these three big complexes have a policy of discount prices before 12:00p.m. on Fri., Sat. and Sun. for any film regular, 3D or IMAX. I’m surprised this theater doesn’t offer the discount.

oddly enough eventhough this policy is the reason for these three multiplexes raking in the bucks for early shows Fri., Sat. & Sun. which they’ve been doing for years the Regal 42 St. multiplex and the Regal Union Square 14 multiplex still don’t offer the discount. I think the only other chain to offer the before 12:00p.m. discount on Fri., Sat and Sun. is City Cinemas.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on September 7, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Exactly my point, bigjoe59. The crowd for “Les Miserables” on 42nd street didn’t have to wait at all. There was a screening starting every few minutes with immediate seating. That is how those two cash cows on 42nd street outgross most of the country with the possible exception of Lincoln Square.

If you were a distributor would you bypass 42nd street to protect the Ziegfeld? You may do it for a few days just for prestige as “DREAMGIRLS” did, but much longer. Moviemakers just can’t afford that anymore.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 7, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Hello to All-

we are having a lively discussion aren’t we? Al A. makes some valid points but it is still my belief that the one main reason the Ziegfeld rarely has a full house is because whatever big film plays there is also playing at 12 other theaters in Manhattan. its NOT because of the location. after all if the theater was hard to find why was the 1st show of the day of Les Miserables the day after Christmas 2012 rather well attended? not only that but when I left the theater there was a line half down 54th St. for the next show.