Vogue Theatre

6675 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

William
William on October 15, 2007 at 8:25 am

You can see the front of the Vogue Theatre during the film “Death Wish 2” (on marquee “Any Which Way You Can”) and the Chinese Theatre (with “Excalibur” on the marquee).

William
William on October 15, 2007 at 8:19 am

Ken mc, those pictures of the Vogue Theatre dates from the middle of July of 1935. Both pictures were Columbia releases from 1935.
The “A” picture on the marquee was Mary Carlisle in “Champagne for Breakfast” released July 16th. 1935 and the “B” feature on the bill was Jack Holt in “The Awakening of Jim Burke”, but was released earlier that year on May 18th. 1935.

Nice shots.

William
William on October 11, 2007 at 6:24 pm

Terry, Mann Theatres no longer has anything to do with maintaining this theatre. They had the master lease and subleased it to a group dealing with paranormal activity. When I last ran it in the Fall of 2000, it was in poor shape. I remember it as a nice house to see a movie in.

terrywade
terrywade on September 19, 2007 at 7:27 pm

I can’t believe the city of Hollywood year after year lets this theatre just sit with the gate in front and all the garbage inside the entrance. The trees will soon cut into the neon sign. How sad it is to see that Mann Theatres can’t even clean up the front. We all know it will become a night club someday but please make it look a little better when people walk by! It even has something on the marquee that played years ago. The people at Mann can turn it into a ice rink or roller rink as they don’t want single screens any more just get it open and clean it up. All the tourists go by year after year and the boxoffice is closed. Put something in the Vogue and make some $$$$ and light up the sign. Cut a hole in the wall and serve pizza from Musso and Frank next door. If Fox West Coast Theatres was still around the boxoffice would be open.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on August 28, 2007 at 2:32 pm

I had the same feeling in Westwood once. I was watching a movie and one of the scenes was filmed outside the theater and across the street.

raw
raw on August 28, 2007 at 8:41 am

There is an interesting footnote to Gremlins 2 and the Vogue. A scene from Gremlins 2 was filmed inside the Vogue. It’s was a weird feeling watching the movie and suddenly seeing the lobby appear on the screen. I think this was actually in 1988 or ‘89.

vcarville
vcarville on July 5, 2007 at 11:54 pm

I went to see Gremlins 2 at the theatre around 1990, I think it was the last time I went, it was pretty scuzzy by that time, but not as bad as the fox which was on the opposite side of the street further east if I recall. I remember watching the movie, and if my memory serves me correctly, Hulk Hogan made an appearance in the film itself as a moviegoer in a movie theatre, I swear it looked like it was shot at the vogue…

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 10, 2007 at 2:53 pm

There are three nice photos on this page:

JeffreyLang
JeffreyLang on February 20, 2007 at 12:17 pm

In 1990 I worked at the Vogue Theater. The manager and I would sit around and talk about old movies while repairing the floor or rummaging in the storage room for marquee letters before the theater opened for the day. Who knew that room was a former Musso’s speakeasy? This is when I had first moved to Hollywood and was in such awe of the biz. The theater was screening ‘Pretty Woman’. I remember thinking it was so cool that the exterior of the Vogue could be seen in the movie. I went behind the theater, looked up at the fleabag hotel where Richard Gere pulled down the fire escape to rescue Julia Roberts from a life of prostitution, and smiled. As an 18-year-old fresh from the midwest, it was magical to see these locations in person.

After a screening of ‘Gremlins 2’ a customer approached the assistant manager to complain that it wasn’t shown in 70mm as advertised. The assistant manager explained that the print was indeed 70mm and this guy yelled that he worked for Warner Bros. and he was going to report the theater. Bizarre.

Such Hollywood luminaries as ‘Welcome Back Kotter’s’ Freddie “Boom Boom” Washington (Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs — thanks IMDB), Crispen Glover, Eddie Deezen and Robert Townsend would come down from their lofty perch to see movies with the great unwashed, too. OK, in 1990 Townsend was a still pretty big. A still-closeted George Takei tried to use a coupon clipped from the newspaper to buy some candy from the concession counter. I told him the theater didn’t accept coupons. In that booming baritone stage voice he told me he couldn’t believe he had to pay full movie retail for a Butterfinger. Andrew “Dice” Clay came in to catch ‘Ford Fairlane’ with a regular audience. He wore a garish leather jacket, natch.

I bartered with the waitstaff from Musso’s: movie admissions for flannel cakes. I miss that job.

Bway
Bway on February 19, 2007 at 9:56 am

Here’s an aerial view of the Vogue:

William
William on January 17, 2007 at 12:35 pm

The Vine does screenings. They are at Hollywood Blvd and Vine Street.

shatter
shatter on January 17, 2007 at 10:59 am

I am looking for a movie theater in LA — preferably Hollywood — that I could rent out for one night for a screening party for an indie film I just finished editing. I guess the Vogue is out but if anyone knows of any other theater with “reasonable rates” please let me know!

haineshisway
haineshisway on October 9, 2006 at 9:38 am

I was at the Vogue back in 2002 for a screening of something. It was shocking, actually. It smelled horrendous, it was freezing and the whole thing was just nauseating. I spent so many wonderful days and evenings at the Vogue and to see it like that was just, well, horrible.

William
William on October 9, 2006 at 7:49 am

The real blame goes to Mann Theatres for putting a clause when they closed the theatres. So they could not be used to show movies for some amount of years. The last time I ran the Vogue Theatre was October of 2000 for the AFI Festival. It was very sad to see how this once great theatre had turned into a rundowned property. The auditorium was so sad to see with half of the seats removed. The Reseda is planned tobe a community theatre.

haineshisway
haineshisway on October 9, 2006 at 6:55 am

The sad part is that they’d rather just sit on these buildings than give them over to someone who’d do the right thing. That’s just what we need in Hollywood – another movie theater turned into a sickening trendy (for fifteen minutes) nightclub. SHAME!

And most of the theaters in Reseda and Van Nuys and Burbank and NoHo are sadly long gone. The Reseda is, of course, still there, but I have no idea who owns it. And the Fox, as mentioned above. There are a handful of others, too.

William
William on October 9, 2006 at 6:49 am

Richard, the owners are not interested in returning this theatre back to a movie theatre, but into a night club in the near future. As they also own the Fox Theatre at Wilcox and Hollywood Blvd. too.

RichardTerusso
RichardTerusso on October 8, 2006 at 10:44 pm

I am currently looking for any Old Theatres in which to lease or possibly buy in Reseda, Van Nuys, Hollywood or North Hollywood. It has been my Long life Dream to renevate and own my own Theatre/ Venue. Please e-mail me at or call me at 310-597-9398 if youo live here!! Thanks.Rick

P.S. If you also live in the areas in which I am looking and want to help please contact me as well!!

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 6, 2006 at 6:04 am

Here are some photos from a website that concerns 70 mm theaters:

vokoban
vokoban on October 6, 2006 at 5:34 am

Here are a few more things about the opening of the Vogue.

(June 30, 1935)
Construction and preparation of the Vogue Theater Building, 6669-77 Hollywood Boulevard, represents another important structural project in the Hollywood program. The structure, constructed by the Vogue Theater Company of which Howard Sheehan is president, represents an investment of about $50,000, and inclusive of equipment, a total expenditure of about $95,000, it was stated.

(July 02, 1935)
Hollywood’s newest first-run motion picture theater, the Vogue Theater, 6669 Hollywood Boulevard, is being rushed to completion for an opening set for Tuesday evening, July 9. The modernistic theater, first of its kind to be built in Souther California, is being erected at a cost of $60,000. With the smartly sophisticated styled furnishings and latest equipment, a total expenditure of over $95,000 will be realized when the doors open. Under the direction of Howard Sheehan, the new Vogue Theater will establish a policy of first-run pictures of the highest type, it is announced.

(July 03, 1935)
Vogue Theater, slated to open next Tuesday night, at 6669-77 Hollywood Boulevard, will present “Ladies Crave Excitement” as one-half of a double bill.

(July 08, 1935)
VOGUE THEATER’S OPENING WILL BE THEATRICAL EVENT
Amusement seekers will attend the gala premiere of Hollywood’s newest first-run picture palace, Vogue Theater, tomorrow. Stars of the stage and screen will be on hand to pay their respects to Howard Sheehan and his new theatrical venture. Two pictures will make up the initial program. One is “The Phantom Fiend,” a mystery drama made from the novel, “The Lodger,” by Mrs. Belloc Lowndes.

vokoban
vokoban on October 6, 2006 at 5:15 am

Here’s an article that states the original businesses that occupied the Vogue Theater Building.

(May 5, 1935) Los Angeles Times

FIVE LEASES FOR STORE AREAS IN NEW STRUCTURE
Announcement of the leasing of all the store areas in the Vogue Theater Building now nearing completion at 6669-77 Hollywood Boulevard has been made by Coldwell, Cornawall & Banker. The rentals total $57,000, it was stated. Musso and Frank Grill Company have leased, for a long period, a portion of the building in the rear of the easterly stores for an addition to their present dining-room at a total rental of $15,000 and are expending $11,000 for interior decoration, the report says. Sam Kessler has leased the store at 6669 Hollywood Boulevard for a period of five years at a rental of $15,000, it was announced. Armin Richter has leased the storeroom at 6671 Hollywood Boulevard for a period of five years at a total rental of $9000, according to the report. The storeroom at 6673 Hollywood Boulevard has been leased to Angeline Jahnke for a period of five years at a rental of $9000, and Sally’s Candy Company has leased the storeroom at 6677 Hollywood Boulevard for a period of five years at a rental of $9000, the report states.

haineshisway
haineshisway on February 16, 2006 at 3:07 pm

Read my comments about the Pacific – one of my favorite theaters. I was just there two weeks ago.

William
William on February 16, 2006 at 3:05 pm

There was plans to turn it into some kind of night club at last word. I enjoyed my short time in the Vogue. My favorite was the Hollywood Pacific.

haineshisway
haineshisway on February 16, 2006 at 3:02 pm

I had a friend who worked for Mann Theaters for years, so I know most of the history.

I was at a screening of a short film at the Vogue about four years ago. I was shocked at the state the theater was in – it was, quite frankly, disgusting – smelled bad, and was filthy. A shame, really. Is it for sale? m

William
William on February 16, 2006 at 2:56 pm

The Vogue Theatre lasted till the middle of 1992 as a move-over house for the Mann’s Chinese Tri-plex. At that time mann Theatre had removed the 70MM projection equipment and replaced it with a Simplex XL and and drive-in platter and a Dolby CP-50 for it’s stereo sound. A sad ending for one of the best Scope screens on the Blvd. The three single houses that Mann ran were the Hollywood which closed in 1991 and the Fox which closed also in 1991 and became a warehouse for the company and finally the Vogue. Back in Oct. of 2000 the theatre was used as an extra screen for the AFI series which took place at the El Capitian and the Egyptian Theatres of that year. I ran many films during that week in that theatre as the projectionist.