Islip Cinemas

Islip, NY 11751

wally 75
wally 75 on October 19, 2008 at 6:16 pm

here now the news

ISLIP THEATER

is back….as spelled…

pavilion has left the building…

dancerrlj
dancerrlj on October 16, 2008 at 6:01 pm

He made no provisions for the show to go on. He gave the choreographer a name of a woman to call, but she never returned any calls. We also heard that his mother was ill, but that was all. We were never contacted, and when one of the actors contacted Marc, he hung up!! There would not have been low attendance, there were dozens of people who had already bought tickets (not just the families of the kids). The kids had sent out an invitation to attend the show on Facebook, and they had gotten over 150 confirmations from other kids alone. He left us hanging at the end of August, too soon to know if there would have been low attendance (2 full months before the show). I don’t care if it was because he left the theater, or because he had a personal problem. The fact that he never contacted anyone of the 10 or so dancers was crap.
Here is a quote from her recent email…
“ I have not heard anything from Marc at all. I called Liz and left her two messages and never heard anything back form her either. In my opinion it wasn’t her mess to clean up in the first place, so I really don’t want to keep bothering her about it. I don’t have any idea of why they would be selling tickets. The only thing I know of is Liz told the lead cast, in an email, if they wanted to do a few scenes on their own they were more then welcome too. I have no idea what the heck is going on. Being that I haven’t been able to get in touch with anyone, No, I have not gotten paid. I don’t care about my time what is bothering me is the fact that the kids put in their time and were very excited to do this and it turned out this way.”

That’s how kind and attentive he was to us…

Islip15
Islip15 on October 16, 2008 at 5:12 pm

I am a parent as well. I heard that Marc left due to personal family reasons. He made provisions for the show to go on, but due to low attendance it was canceled – not because he had to leave. That was the notification we got. We were contacted, as well as my daughters friends. I don’t think Rocky Horror’s cancellation was anything to do with his leaving the theater. We did not feel as though he abandoned us, not sure what happened on your end. He was always very kind and attentive to us.

dancerrlj
dancerrlj on October 16, 2008 at 3:32 pm

I am the parent of a teen dancer/actor, who audition and was chosen for the Rocky Horror Show to premier on Halloween. There were 27 or so other talented teens who were also picked, plus a choreographer, and a costume person, etc. Anyway, after putting in about 16 hours of rehearsal Marc left town and has not been seen or heard from since late September. The kids were very, very disappointed, and the parents are angry. We spent hours and lots of very expensive gas money getting to the rehearsal, shopping for costume pieces, going for fittings, etc. We have tried to contact Marc but he is gone, gone, gone. He was supposed to pay the choreographer, and the leads but obviously no one got anything. The show is still listed on the islip pavillion website but I don’t think there is a show. All of the kids went to the last rehearsal and the doors were locked. The week before at rehearsal, all of Marc’s cloths, food, and other personals were in the theater – we should have realized then that something was up. Anyway, I just want to say that Marc is a terrible person, and that no one should have done that to kids!!!! If he was unable to continue the rehearsals, etc. He could have had the decency to contact the kids directly, thank them and tell them that unfortunately there was not going to be a show. I can’t believe this man regularly works with children. Parents beware

markp
markp on October 5, 2008 at 8:15 pm

Everyone just take a deep breath and calm down. Its funny how much energy can be put into these blogs, now if you all worked together and put this much energy into making the theatre the best it can be…well now you would be on to something.

wally 75
wally 75 on October 4, 2008 at 3:21 pm

remember…just about a year ago…we thought the islip theatre would be a pile of bricks????

look how far it’s come…i pass through islip at least 4 nights a week on my way home…and so happy it still stands and shows great signs of life..

isn’t that what all this is about..??

IN THE MEAN TIME KEEP YOUR FEET OFF THE BACK OF THE SEATS…

RIZZUTI20
RIZZUTI20 on October 4, 2008 at 7:50 am

typo i meant to say well im sorry im not happy about marc running thousands of dollars of debt so that we can barely afford a dj were trying to make the best it can possibly be I just wanted to tell people that it is up and running and the reason that I didnt spell check is the fact that im dyslexic

RIZZUTI20
RIZZUTI20 on October 4, 2008 at 7:49 am

Well Im sorry about marc running thousands of dollars of debt so that we can barely afford a dj were trying to make the best it can possibly be I just wanted to tell people that it is up and running and the reason that I didnt spell check is the fact that im dyslexic thanks for the insult

Anne25
Anne25 on October 3, 2008 at 2:46 pm

Dalro,
I agree with Larry,
Whether or not the theater needed new management ( and from what I saw , Mr. Glassberg put quite a lot into this theater -and please recall that there would not be a theater if it weren’t for his efforts – after all, HE FOUNDED IT) it is still unprofessional negative commentary from this volunteer. It would be enough to simply say – “the theater is going on, and there are new parties involved” That is ALL. The future of this theater depends on the dedication of talented professionals. Not those who slander, and and don’t bother to check the spelling on their posts.

DAR
DAR on October 2, 2008 at 7:13 pm

Larry,
I understand the comments! The Islip Pavilion needed new management!!!!!!!! Hopefully now it will succeed!

Larry26
Larry26 on October 2, 2008 at 3:57 pm

Very glad to see that the theater is still going on, but VERY disappointing to see that “volunteers” would make such comments. Extremely unprofessional. I hope that any “volunteers” making these comments don’t represent the new management. Would be nice to see this theater go on with positive people.

DAR
DAR on September 28, 2008 at 4:18 pm

Does anyone know if there are plays at the Islip Pavilion. I tried to call the number and it was disconnected. ALso is Marcalan Glassberg still involved with the plays?

DAR
DAR on September 24, 2008 at 12:19 pm

Does that mean that Marcalan is no longer there? Do you know who is there? Thanks

wally 75
wally 75 on September 24, 2008 at 8:59 am

that’s what the sign says…

DAR
DAR on September 23, 2008 at 5:09 pm

I heard that Islip Pavillon is under new management. Is that true?

wally 75
wally 75 on July 13, 2008 at 9:13 am

a theater by anyother name would be a theater…

lets be glad it’s still a theatre.

Anne25
Anne25 on June 30, 2008 at 6:16 pm

Recently attended the Spoonful of Blues show at the Pavilion and had a great time! Very talented bands. Met Mr. Glassberg, – he seemed very pleasant and genuine about wanting to create something positive for local residents. Having done start ups before myself, I know how difficult it can be, but really can see the Pavilion having a strong future with what they have planned.

Bway
Bway on March 27, 2008 at 12:57 pm

Anything is better than having it torn down, or gutted for retail.

susieq60
susieq60 on February 16, 2008 at 7:44 pm

btw – it opened as a triplex the day EI movie theater burned to the ground (which was early am Christmas morning early 80s).

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 13, 2008 at 7:48 am

Was this ever called “Movies on Main?” The January 11th issue of Newsday had an article by Karen Prikios about such an Islip theatre, which closed last fall: “Marcalan Glassberg of Islip, director of Authors' Playhouse in Bay Shore, is converting the building into a multi-use community playhouse, and recently hosted a gala fundraising event, in which local restaurants showcased their culinary goods…The theater, newly refurbished, thanks in part to volunteer efforts of local members of D.C. 9 International Union of Painters and Allied Trades, was abuzz with music and mingling as guests discussed the theater’s possibilities for live shows, documentary-style programming, first-run movies and dining.”

wally 75
wally 75 on November 23, 2007 at 10:22 pm

taste of islip nov 29th….631 224 show for info…

happy thanksgiving means… save a theatre…thanks

mom would be proud!

susieq60
susieq60 on October 15, 2007 at 6:58 pm

Are they really “reopening” it? Is there a website for it?

MGlassberg
MGlassberg on October 13, 2007 at 10:05 am

Last year, the Islip Triplex Theater was sold to J.J. Nazzaro & Associates, an Islip based business which has chosen to assist the Islip Pavilion Project, an Islip community effort to renovate the existing theater and create a multi-use entertainment facility, The building will house 3 separate not-for-profit 300 seat community theaters which will present movies, live stage shows, comedy and cabaret shows, dinner and a show productions and musical concerts. An on-premises restaurant will serve full food and beverages to all theaters and will serve alcoholic beverages for adult productions. In addition there will be a full educational program for the benefit of the neighboring public school districts. The conversion has already commenced and donors and volunteers are needed. A series of special previews have been scheduled. On Friday, November 23rd and Saturday, November 24th, at 8 pm, there will be a FREE live production of THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER On Friday, December 21st and Saturday, December 22nd, there will be a FREE live production of MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET. All seating will be on a first come, first served basis. For further information, contact Marcalan Glassberg, the Executive Director of the new ISLIP PAVILION, at 631-224-SHOW.