Roxy Theatre

153 W. 50th Street,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 1,376 - 1,391 of 1,391 comments

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on January 16, 2004 at 10:05 pm

I would love to see color pictures of the interior of the Roxy. I have only seen black and white. Its a shame that the Roxy and the San Francisco Fox are no longer with us what were they thinking. Today they would make great concert halls presented by clearchannel.Brucec.

bbin3d
bbin3d on January 16, 2004 at 6:51 pm

Yes Vincent, seeing BLONDES at the Roxy was pretty dazzling for a kid. Even though it was so long ago when my Mom took me and my sister to see the film, I still have vivid memories. (In fact we had our choice of seeing THE BAND WAGON at the Radio City Music Hall or BLONDES at the ROXY). I remember the beautiful technicored print and having Russell & Monroe step out from behind those red sequined curtains before and after the credits was a sight! Some things always stay with you.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on January 16, 2004 at 6:11 pm

Marty clearly states that they were advertised in the process(you can also see it in pictures of the Roxy marquee) but that the actual presentaton was anamorphic 35mm. So you can film it in the process and say so but not present it as such(would most people really know?) I guess at this point all we can do is go back in time and go into the Roxy projection booth and see just what type of film those reels contain.

Gentlmen Prefer Blonds at the Roxy. That must have been something.

bbin3d
bbin3d on January 16, 2004 at 5:55 pm

I have original ads from CAROUSEL and KING AND I and both emphatically state the new process CINEMASCOPE 55. I am sure both had their initial engagements in Miami in this process. Also, FOX released both films in this process on their laserdisc releases. I can’t say for sure about DVD releases. As a child I saw GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES at the ROXY, one of the last non-wide screen films to play the theatre.

Stephen Paley
Stephen Paley on December 14, 2003 at 2:17 am

Edd:
Marty Hart, curator of the Wide Screen Museum website, is probably the most knowledgable man in the world about the early wide-screen processes, and if he says “Carousel” and “The King and I” were never released in the 55mm format, he knows of what he speaks. (He also knows punctuation—“afraid” as used in the context of your post should not be capitalized.

Edd
Edd on December 13, 2003 at 11:02 am

Vincent, I am Afraid you are wrong and more so is Marty.
I own copies of both these prints, in original 55 format. I can confirm that they were indeed released in scope 55. The prints I have are X West End London.
Edd

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on December 8, 2003 at 5:36 pm

According to Marty Hart on his amazing web site he claims that though both King and I and Carousel were filmed in Cinemascope 55 they were never shown that way not even in their first run engagements and no known prints are said to survive in that original process.

unknown
unknown on November 4, 2003 at 4:56 pm

I had the privilege of Ice Skating
in some of the shows at the Roxy Theatre. I was born and raised in
Brooklyn, New York and at 17 I became a
professional Ice Skater. I still have
some pictures a friend of mine took during one of the shows I performed in,
at the Roxy. It holds so many memories
and till this day it seems like yesterday. I skated at the theatre in
1955-1956. The re-opening of the ice
show was coupled with the movie opening
of The Rains of Ranchipore with Lana
Turner.( I think I spelled it right),if
not forgive me.

JimRankin
JimRankin on December 8, 2002 at 5:08 pm

The THEATRE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA (www.HistoricTheatres.org) has in its ARCHIVE (see the link by that name on their sidebar) many photos and much other information from the late Ben M. Hall’s collection. The ROXY was also notable for many interior innovations not mentioned in Mr. Gabel’s fine capsule description/history, such as the Carrillon or cathedral chimes, the triple stage elevators topped with a turntable allowing great stage dynamics, a full cyclorama, the ‘Silouhette Light,’ and much else to its claim to fame including a small Hospital room and nursery room for the kiddies in addition to a huge basement space of floors devoted to producing, as well as the Rehearsal Hall and Music Library rooms. It may not have been the most lavish (some say the San Francisco FOX took that honor) nor even as famous as the still-open CHINESE THEATRE in Los Angeles, but its record of innovation is secure and a found memory to those old enough to have seen it in life. Those young enough in spirit will see it recreated in their imaginations, from the springboards provided in the photos and materials at the THEATRE HISTORICAL SOCIETY in Elmhurst, Illinois, about 15 miles west of Chicago. Their MARQUEE magazine has had several articles pertaining to the ROXY.

thenson702
thenson702 on August 15, 2002 at 5:29 pm

Can anyone tell me where I can find photos of this theatre?

VitoPetroni
VitoPetroni on February 15, 2002 at 7:21 pm

Lucy is quite right, it was “Carousel”, which was projected in Cinemascope 55, that premiered at the Roxy.Special 55mm projectors were installed as well as a new sound system. Very few theatres installed Cinemascope 55, presenting the films in a reduced 35mm print. The 55mm process was only used twice after that and then the process disappeared. In 1953 The Roxy was the first theatre to install Cinemascope with the showing of “The Robe”.

Stannorton
Stannorton on December 8, 2001 at 10:39 pm

When the Roxy opened a cartoon in the New Yorker had a little boy asking his mother as he was being led through its massive, glorious lobby “Does God live here?” I have a six by seven foot photograph of the famous Gloria Swanson hanging in the my den

John P Keating Jr
John P Keating Jr on December 2, 2001 at 6:21 pm

I remember a picture in Live magazine of Gloria Swanson in an evening gown standing in the rubble of the Roxy.

LuertiAngelo
LuertiAngelo on October 12, 2001 at 9:51 am

I’m writing a book on costume designers of Music Hall. I’m looking for some data about Marco Montedoro who after having designed for Moulin Rouge and Folies Bergere in Paris, from 1932 started to work for Roxy Theatre N. Y. Can you or somebody help me in finding as many data as possible on his activity in N.Y.? I will appreciate very much. Thanks in advance for your courtesy. Best regards. A. Luerti

LucyAnnSaltzman
LucyAnnSaltzman on August 3, 2001 at 8:15 pm

Hey George, I think you mean “Carousel,” not “Oklahoma.” “Carousel” opened at the Roxy in 1955 in Cinemascope 55. “Oklahoma” in Todd A0 opened on reserved seats at the Rivoli.

George
George on August 1, 2001 at 12:28 am

I attended the premier of Roger & Hammersteins Oklahoma in 1955 at the Roxy, my father installed the sound systems, this was the first Todd-AO in NYC I believe. Rogers & Hammerstein were in attendance as well as the recording engineer Fred Heinz. Roxy had 2 projection rooms, each with 3 Todd-AO, norelco AAII projectors.