Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 126 - 150 of 4,046 comments

mhvbear
mhvbear on February 14, 2014 at 5:04 am

Have not heard how it went but all tickets were gone earlier in the week.

BobbyS
BobbyS on February 14, 2014 at 3:14 am

I hope the snowstorm didn’t keep the crowds away. Sounds like a great bill. Wish I lived in NY (at times). Wonder how Loews Kings is doing?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 13, 2014 at 6:47 pm

checking Ziegfeld for the weekend, I saw other titles today & tomorrow & googled found this Variety explanation-

New York City’s Ziegfeld Theatre will host a two day, five film retrospective celebrating the collaborations between Academy Award-winning filmmaker Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio Feb. 13 and 14.

New York Film Society’s Kent Jones will moderate a conversation Thursday with DiCaprio, Academy Award-winning editor Thelma Schoonmaker and Oscar-nominated writer Terence Winter prior to the screening of their latest film, “The Wolf of Wall Street.”

Thursday’s screenings are “The Aviator,” “The Departed” and “The Wolf of Wall Street.” Friday will end the retrospective with showings of “Shutter Island” and “Gangs

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on December 8, 2013 at 11:09 am

SethLewis, I think you just gave a perfect example of why they don’t. Once the reviews and the word of mouth got out on “NINE”, it had no chance to recoup its costs. The costs of money today requires immediate results and many DVD/BLU RAY release rights are sold based on opening week grosses. Only small films can afford a build-up and carefully aimed marketing campaign. When a bunch of teenagers show up for “NINE”, who never heard of Fellini and hate musicals anyway, you just lost your shirt on twitter.

SethLewis
SethLewis on December 8, 2013 at 10:21 am

Musicals in particular are great for road shows and slower roll-outs. In London, Weinstein gave Nine a ten day West End exclusive in a twin theatre before going national. Wish that studios would catch their breath and let anticipation build for big pictures and let the Ziegfelds, Chineses, Odeon Leicester Squares hold their rightful place in film going

Bud K
Bud K on December 7, 2013 at 11:27 pm

(Was the curtain utilized pre and post show, please Bud? Thanks) No it was Open during the preshow and never closed after as I stayed as long as I could btw a good example of a current theater like this is the BIG Newport in Newport Beach CA

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on December 1, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Hello-

LuisV’s statement about that few if any “big” films open in limited release is quite true. even after the studios discontinued the roadshow policy for their “big” films they still would open such films in one maybe two theaters where it would play for weeks or months before going to neighborhood theaters.

the advent of t.v. in almost every home was the death nell for many grand old movie theaters and the multiplex era where a film opens in 2,000-3,000 on the same day was the death nell for many of the grand old movie theaters that remained. i love going to the Ziegfeld and am constantly amazed its still standing.

LuisV
LuisV on December 1, 2013 at 4:54 pm

They can sell out (or close to it) with special events. I was there during the special two week engagement of Dreamgirls before wide release. All seats were $25 and there was not an empty seat in the house. It remains the most exhilarating movie watching event of my lit with three standing ovations during the film for the songs “And I’m telling you I’m not going, Dreamgirls and One night only!” The theater was filled with enthusiastic gay fans which included myself and 15 of my friends. :–) Alas few big films films open in limited release.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on November 30, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Maybe they could have a sellout with Star Wars Episode VII in December 2015. The prequels all did very well at the Ziegfeld.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on November 30, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Bud is right. The Ziegfeld will never sell out with a new movie, but if TCM holds another Road to Hollywood event there in early 2014, like they’ve done for the last few years, you won’t see one empty seat. That’s a sight to behold.

fred1
fred1 on November 30, 2013 at 5:22 pm

When I was last at the Ziefeld during the summertime did

hdtv267
hdtv267 on November 30, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Was the curtain utilized pre and post show, please Bud? Thanks.

Bud K
Bud K on November 30, 2013 at 2:37 am

I saw Hunger Games in the Theater on Wednesday Evening, 11/27/2013 what a treat, Perfect presentation, very clean, friendly staff and enjoyed the experience but friends here is the reality, you will never see that theater full, it’s too big and expensive to maintain but its saving grace and possible downfall is the parking business under it at $8.45 per half hour, It would not surprise me to see half of it taken away or all of it but until then it’s a beautiful way to see a movie in this Cinema Treasure!

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 19, 2013 at 7:09 am

I feel better with Bow Tie doing the bookings.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 16, 2013 at 9:07 am

Bow Tie is just doing the booking. The theater is still controlled by lessee Cablevision.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 16, 2013 at 6:54 am

Ok I am confused. I was just on Bow Tie cinemas web page and they show the Ziegfeld as one of their theaters. I thought it wasn’t part of the Clearview package.

BobbyS
BobbyS on August 9, 2013 at 9:11 pm

You do realize the people that work there have no passion for the name Ziegfeld. They could care less. Its a job. Only someone like us that love these theaters would go over & beyond the call of duty to give 110% to patrons. We understand what it means to be part of a long by-gone era. Even if its only a name!

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 9, 2013 at 8:09 pm

While the auditorium is a wow, the ticketing area (lobby?) and the concession area are less than sensational.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 9, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Hello-

I also remember the original exclusive 1st run
engagement of “Close Encounters”. it was Nov. of
1977 and there were lines around the block for
just about every screening on the weekend.

its nice that Bow Tie will continue to operate this theater well into the future. one would have thought the age of the multiplex would have doomed into oblivion theaters such as the Ziegfeld.

how this theater has stayed open when you consider the land underneath it is worth way more than the theater could ever bring in is one of the great mysteries.

BobbyS
BobbyS on August 8, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Hard to believe the Ziegfeld will continue to be in operation in the future. What a wonderful throwback to those glorious days of the single screen movie palace when entering the lobby was a sensation all by itself !

Garth
Garth on August 8, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Saw “Close Encounters” here on its opening exclusive engagement. I intend to return this month to check out the theatre.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on July 5, 2013 at 2:48 pm

moivebuff 82 that gave me hives LOL

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on July 5, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Imagine if amc took over the Z….lol

fred1
fred1 on July 5, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Cablevision is still looking for a buyer . in the meantime I hope it takes a long long time

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 5, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I am thrilled the Ziegfeld is still open & running in these days of muli-screens…Wish Radio City would show movies once in awhile..