Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 126 - 150 of 4,209 comments

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 15, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Does the Dolby Theater in LA show movies on a regular basis?

RobertEndres on April 15, 2015 at 12:59 pm

As an alternative: How about Dolby taking over the Zieg as it did the former Kodak theatre in Los Angeles? The Dolby New York offices and two screening rooms are right across the Avenue of the Americas from the Ziegfeld, and it would be a nifty site for both a Dolby Atmos installation and the Dolby Vision projectors which use laser illumination.

moviebuff82 on April 15, 2015 at 11:13 am

corporate synergy…

LuisV on April 15, 2015 at 11:07 am

Agreed about Disney! We cannot lose this theater. I also don’t understand why this theater is not landmarked. It is a beautiful example of a 60’s Movie Palace, the last of its kind and should be preserved.

BobbyS on April 15, 2015 at 8:57 am

Great idea NYer about Disney taking over operations like the El Capitan in LA. It would put the Ziegfeld back on the map. Maybe you can write to someone about the posibility.

bigjoe59 on April 13, 2015 at 1:54 pm

to Mikeoaklandpark-

its funny you should mention the Paris since the Ziegfeld and the Paris are the only two single screen 1st run theaters left in Manhattan. and to answer your question as to why the Paris unlike the Ziegfeld still gets exclusive 1st runs. the Paris has always been an art house and has never to the best of my knowledge shown big studio type films. so while it has shown many prestigious award winning films, most recently The Imitation Game whatever films play at the Paris only get art house releases.

Mikeoaklandpark on April 13, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Big Joe I agree and wonder why The Paris can get mostly exclusive first run films but the Ziegfeld can’t

bigjoe59 on April 12, 2015 at 1:30 pm

to xbs2034-

I am dating myself but I can remember quite well when screenings at the Ziegfeld were close to capacity if not actually sold out. the reason this has not happened in years is simple- the Ziegfeld no longer gets exclusive runs of big studio film. the reason for the low attendance at this theater is that whatever big studio film is playing is also playing at 12 other theaters in Manhattan. it has nothing to do with the theater or the location.

NYer on April 12, 2015 at 12:53 pm

I know it’s a pipe dream but it would be wonderful if Disney took it over like they did the El Capitan in LA. Install a fabulous digital marquee that can be seen up and down the block. Still have other studio premieres there, but they could open their own pictures there exclusively for say two weeks before the other Manhattan multiplexes get it. Do shows and Disney film festivals. If it can work in LA with competing Graumann’s just across the street, it could work here.

xbs2034 on April 12, 2015 at 12:32 pm

The Hollywood Reporter stated that James Dolan is getting frustrated with it losing money, and it is in danger of closing again.

It would certainly be a sad day for me (I try and go as much as a I can, went to 5 films plus the premiere for The Imitation Game here last year, and would probably see Age of Ultron here if it plays the Ziegfeld) but true that it has been a long time since I’ve seen it anywhere near full for a regular screening.

Grandier on January 18, 2015 at 8:35 pm

I haven’t seen the curtains open at the Ziegfeld in years. I keep hoping it’s going to happen, and I catch 6-10 films a year there, but the curtains are always open when we walk in, even at the world premiere of Led Zeppelin’s movie with the band in attendance. Just a white screen.

LuisV on January 11, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Cablevision does NOT owns the site/building. It is owned by a billionaire whose name escapes me.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on January 10, 2015 at 6:31 pm

I don’t think Cablevision owns the actual building but has a long-term lease on the site.

markp on January 10, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Thanks for the tip movieguy. Sadly when my wife and I went to see Interstellar on Veterans Day, the curtain wasn’t used. I went to the Ziegfeld on purpose cause A) I was never there. B)I wanted to see the movie on film, and C) I wanted to see the curtain. Well 2 out of 3 aint too bad. I had later found out from Joe Masher that there was a technician in the building that day and that’s why the curtain wasn’t used. But the rest of the time, theres no excuse.

movieguy on January 10, 2015 at 2:57 pm

I went to see out of the woods for the 7:30 PM screening I New Year’s Day January 1, 2015. There was a very good attendance I’m happy to report. Looked like to me about 550 people. Quite a good turnout. Sadly they did not use the curtains. I want to find a manager after the show to ask them why they did not use the curtains, because they were used for the 70 mm showing of interstellar in November 2014.I had to hustle to make the train back home. Here a tip to save on the $15 admission. BJ’s Wholesale Club as well as Cosco or if you’re AAA member. You have the option of buying tickets for any bowtie cinema. They only cost seven dollars. Then when you bring the voucher to the box office at the Ziegfeld. You pay one dollar surcharge. So that’s $8.00 vs & 15 quite a savings.

mhvbear on January 10, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Since 2013, the Ziegfeld has been managed by Bow Tie Cinemas, on behalf of Cablevision, which owns the theater (the theater was previously part of the Clearview Cinemas theater chain prior to the chain’s sale to Bow Tie; the actual ownership of the Ziegfield building was excluded from the sale).

It would then be Cablevision’s decision to update the seats,

NYer on January 10, 2015 at 5:56 am

Saw “Into The Woods” on New Year’s Eve. It’s time for Bow Tie to stand up. Yes, I know this house isn’t a consistent sell out. But it is, without question, as everyone here knows, one of the world’s premiere theatres, literally, holding dozens of east coast premieres a year. Movie stars and film makers seen all over the globe posing at the opening of their major motion pictures in this beautiful cinema treasure. And she’s a wonderful state of the art hall that us mere mortals can experience movies at their best.

The first offense was walking to the front doors to see all the one sheet cases in dire conditions. They haven’t been updated in decades. Old dirty looking fabric, faded old metal frames and all three cases having wrinkled ill installed one sheets. Don’t think Meryl Streep, who attended the World Premiere of the film just a few weeks before would have appreciated seeing her image practically falling out of the frame. C'mon, how much does a few yards of red velvet and some new frames cost?

Then, my favorite seat was once again broken. Pull the seat down and it lowers practically to the floor. It’s time for new seats. This grand lady doesn’t need big leather recliners, but the hard metal old lumpy stuffed ones have seen their prime. If you are charging $15.00 for a feature and $19.00 for 3D, a comfortable seat is not unreasonable.

I can accept the digital pre-show, I get it, but this is not some neighborhood dive, this is New York’s Bowtie Ziegfeld Theater. No one needs or more importantly, wants six trailers. It’s not 1975, trailers are everywhere and we’ve seen them all before we walk into the auditorium. Three trailers, the next attraction, the one that might come attached to the feature and one more is more than enough. After six, commercials, and policy, the audience is exhausted.

The staff, as always were wonderful, honestly, the best in the city. One couldn’t ask for a more friendly, courteous crew, who understand who their patrons are and care. Ushers, concession, management, all wishing this nice size early matinee crowd a happy new. I hope it is a happy new year for Bowtie’s Ziegfeld Theatre and her staff. They deserve it.

Frankie5Angels on January 10, 2015 at 5:00 am

Touching on what Curmudgeon said on Dec.27, the last film I saw there was Steven Soderbergh’s “Che"… both parts were shown and during the intermission, the projectionist switched screen formats to accommodate the 2nd part (using focus grids) along with re-aligning the curtains, sort of film nerdish of me, but I found it a treat. Ziegfeld rules.

curmudgeon on December 27, 2014 at 5:26 am

Hi Howard, was the crowd treated to some showmanship and the use of curtains?

HowardBHaas on December 26, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Was happy to enjoy Into the Woods this afternoon there, with a crowd. Had its world premiere at the Ziegfeld on December 8.

moviebuff82 on December 17, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Will this theater show the new Star wars movie in 3d?

Mikeoaklandpark on December 12, 2014 at 10:57 am

Very glad Disney had the world premiere of Into The Woods here at the Ziegfeld and not at the El Capitan in CA. It seems to have been on Dec 8

LuisV on December 12, 2014 at 10:33 am

Rats! I would have gone earlier in the day! Will have to wait until Christmas Day!

mhvbear on December 12, 2014 at 10:16 am

One show listed for 12/24. 7:00 PM.

LuisV on December 12, 2014 at 10:13 am

Christmas EVE?? All day Christmas Eve??? Hmmmm……I’m changing my plans!