Loew's Metropolitan Theatre

392 Fulton Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11201

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on March 28, 2006 at 1:49 am

louieb… that wasn’t Elizabeth Taylor starring in “Gone With The Wind” with Clark Gable. It was Vivian Leigh. Unless you’re suggesting Gable and Taylor accompanied you and your parents to the show!

louieb
louieb on March 28, 2006 at 1:02 am

When I was a child, My Parents took me to see Gone with the Wind.
with Clark Gable and Elizabeth Taylor at the Met. Afterwards we had Ice Cream at Schrafft’s which was next door to the Theater on the left as we exited the Theater. As I recall Woolworths was next to A&S Department Store down the next block across from EJ Korvettes.
posted by Louieb Mar 27th, 2006

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 6, 2006 at 6:26 pm

The 3-D version of “Kiss Me Kate” had its first NYC-area showing here. Unfortunately, it was during the time of a newspaper strike, and I so far haven’t been able to find the exact opening date. But it was probably Wednesday, December 2nd, 1953. The final day of the “flat” version at RCMH was the previous Wednesday, November 25th. By December 23, when the newspaper strike had ended, the 3-D “Kiss Me Kate” was advertised as being in its third week at Loew’s Met…It’s possible that when the 3-D “Kate” opened at the Met, it also opened simultaneously at the Loew’s in Jersey City and Newark. But in those days, strikes or not, those New Jersey theatres were not advertised in the NYC newspapers (unless possibly in their NJ editions, if they had them).

Goodheart
Goodheart on March 3, 2006 at 11:58 am

I recall going to the Loew’s Metropolitan (we called it the Met) to see Bette Davis and Olivia de Havilland in person when they were promoting the movie “Hush…Hush Sweet Charlotte” in the mid-1960s.
I happened to catch one of the roses that Miss Davis threw out to the audience, which I still have crushed in a art deco frame.
Both ladies looked swell that day and they were traveling by bus. Miss Davis couldn’t wait to get back into the bus to have a smoke. Miss de Havilland was more graceous as she sat by the window smiling and waving to all the fans.
I also remember seeing the movie “Some Like It Hot” at the Met and the theater was jam packed. When they ran the 2nd. feature first (I believe it was “Step Down to Terror”) the crowd moaned and groaned.
Of all the theaters on the Fulton St. strip in Brooklyn, my favorite movie palace was the RKO Albee, which was located near the Dimes Saving Bank. It was indeed a grand movie theater, where I sat and enjoyed many motion pictures in the 1950s and 1960s. It’s a shame that it doesn’t exist anymore.

lovetheoldtheaters Joe

judithblumenthal
judithblumenthal on November 22, 2005 at 1:20 am

To Warren: I know the exact date my mother went into labor with me at the Loew’s Metropolitan. but no way will I publish it for the whole world to see. I keep thinking I’m 30. Francesca

uncleal923
uncleal923 on November 22, 2005 at 12:56 am

lostmemory;
Do you think this company would also be interested in restoring the Loew’s Kings?

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on November 14, 2005 at 2:30 pm

You got me there Warren. I’m British, born and bred and never heard of him. I knew about Thomas though, for at least the past 45 years of my life.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 14, 2005 at 2:22 pm

Charles Lamb was a great English essayist and critic who often wrote in collaboration with his sister, Mary Ann. They are probably more famous than Thomas W. Lamb ever will be.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on November 14, 2005 at 2:15 pm

Lost Memory;
You would think a restoration company with a reputation that Evergreene has, would get the architect of the building right! They give Charles Lamb !!! who he??? LOL

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 14, 2005 at 1:32 pm

What was the movie, Francesca, or would that be asking a lady to reveal her age?

judithblumenthal
judithblumenthal on August 27, 2005 at 6:11 pm

My mother claims that she went into labor with me at the Loew’s Metropolitan. The movie was so good that she insisted on staying on to the end, although the maternity hospital was in Manhattan. I believe my fascination with movies and movie palaces began that night. Francesca

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 22, 2005 at 3:05 pm

Here’s a 1945 image of the marquee. The movie was so popular that, to speed turn-overs, it was shown as a single feature at the Met and on its subsequent Loew’s circuit run:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/134-3489_IMG.jpg

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on July 13, 2005 at 11:39 am

Thanks Bill and Warren.
The advanced tickets and limited performances per day sounds correct. Thanks again for the info.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 13, 2005 at 11:11 am

I doubt that “Ben-Hur” played at Loew’s Met simultaneously with Loew’s State. It probably opened there at the end of the State run and just prior to the Loew’s circuit release. I would guess that it was shown as a “road show,” but without reserved seats. Just advamced prices and a limited number of non-continuous performances per day. But this is easily checkable by consulting newspaper advertising of the time.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 13, 2005 at 1:07 am

JohnG: According to Michael Coate and William Kallay’s 70mm in New York website, the only other 70mm showing of “Ben-Hur” was in Asbury Park, NJ. But that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a roadshow at the Metropolitan. A 35mm print was shown in a reserved seat engagement in Newark, NJ prior to opening wide in neighborhood theaters.

November 19:
Ben-Hur
MGM Camera 65 / Six-Track Stereo
Reserved Seat Engagement
MGM

Manhattan: [Loew’s] State

Includes World Premiere on November 18

Expanded release on May 26, 1960:
Asbury Park: [Walter Reade] St. James

Also see 1969 re-issue entry

RobertR
RobertR on July 13, 2005 at 1:02 am

“Lili” seemed to open different then other MGM musicals. It played Trans-Lux for two years before going wide.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 13, 2005 at 1:01 am

In RobertR’s post above, look at the ad for “Lili” at the Trans-Lux 52nd St. and Lexington: “2nd Year”. Wow …

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on July 13, 2005 at 1:00 am

Isn’t the Livingston St. side the stagehouse?

CelluloidHero2
CelluloidHero2 on July 12, 2005 at 11:29 pm

I remember seeing Ben-Hur at the Metropolitan. I was only about twelve or so at the time. I believe it was roadshow engagement. Can anyone verify that Ben-Hur played as a roadshow at the Metropolitan? Were there any other roadshow engagement there?

RobertR
RobertR on July 12, 2005 at 12:18 am

A 1954 ad for “Julius Caeser” and “Gypsy Colt"

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 8, 2005 at 2:39 pm

Here’s an opening ad from 1917 from a Brooklyn newspaper:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/443af792.jpg

uncleal923
uncleal923 on June 8, 2005 at 11:41 pm

Bruce 1 or lostmmeory;
You may want to get the number of the building across the street. It may be only one digit down from it.

Bruce1
Bruce1 on May 23, 2005 at 3:17 am

Lostmemory—The properties are right behind Bedford Avenue on Erasmus Street, but there is no address listed. A sign on the fence just lists the name of the developer! I will try to get a street-address.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on May 22, 2005 at 10:44 pm

I have seen some record books that showed the Metropolitan as a department store prior to becoming a cinema in the late teens. They were taken away from a “cinema historian” who visted my office in the late nineties and then disappeared with them.
Asshole!

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 11, 2005 at 2:57 pm

The filing could have been by address. All buildings on that site would be in the same file, which doesn’t necessarily mean that they were one original building that was “converted” over and over again. If you walk around the sides of the Metropolitan on Smith and Livingston Streets, you will see that this was a purpose-built theatre, and not converted from a previously existing building.