New Metro Twin

2626 Broadway,
New York, NY 10025

jacksmom
jacksmom on September 22, 2004 at 7:08 pm

So I called the Landmarks Commission, feisty Upper West Sider that I am, and the recording states that the theater IS being refurbished and WILL remain a theater! This is terrific news, although I’ll miss those $6 prices from the terrible seats!

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on September 22, 2004 at 10:18 am

I think I know what’s in the works for the Metro and it’s future is looking brighter than ever.

Pete Apruzzese
Director of Film Programming
Big Screen Classics at the Lafayette Theatre

Movieplace
Movieplace on September 22, 2004 at 9:44 am

I have heard from reliable neighborhood sources that the Metro was to become a temporary home for the Gristides store across the street while the new high rise was being built. The “twinning” would be undone and once the new store could open it would be restored as a theater. Unfortunatly only the exterior has been landmarked. The interior would be a simple restoration. If the Rapp & Rapp’s State in Jersey City can be restored then so could this.
I had also heard that the property owner has been trying to put this together for quite some time. The property owner is also the landlord of the art deco building just south of the Metro.
Speaking of art deco, the architects of the Metro also designed the beautiful 315 Riverside Drive.

jacksmom
jacksmom on September 21, 2004 at 8:26 pm

Wait! Just got in from a walk and Gristides has posted big signs; a letter from their CEO says that people have been posting scurrilous rumors about their takeover of this theater, and that he has spoken directly with the owner of the Metro Twin, who intends to keep it as a theater. Now, I have no idea if this is true or not — but an interesting development. I thought the front, at least, was landmarked…

Frenchy
Frenchy on September 20, 2004 at 4:16 pm

I think it is so sad that this adorable little theater was cared for better. It’s not too late for them to restore the interior to its former glory but with modern comforts don’t you agree? The neighborhood has to speak out and write letters to the local community board and the landmarks commission. The N.Y.Landmarks Commission’s address is: 1 Center St. 9th floor north, N.Y., N.Y. 10007. Even if they must put commercial businesses inside, cafes, restaurants, bookstores or boutoques are better than a Gristedes supermarket! They can’t even maintain quality standards of cleanliness, appearance or freshness of food under normal supermarket circumstances across the street, why should they be allowed to takeover a charming landmark? This neighborhood is undergoing some great transitions, and is sensitive to what changes are made. A supermarket would make it a cheap, has been. Is thaour future?

c1157

AT (212) 669-7923
TELL THEM OF THE THEATER’S CLOSING,
THE PLAN TO TURN IT INTO A GRISTEDES,
AND URGE THEM TO LANDMARK THE INTERIOR
BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!
SAVE AN HISTORIC ART DECO THEATER AND
SAVE THE QUALITY OF YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD!
ALSO CONTACT:
GRISTEDES CORPORATE OFFICE: (212) 956-5770
LOCAL COMMUNITY BOARD 7: (212) 603-3080

Shade
Shade on September 3, 2004 at 2:41 pm

I walked into the Metro Twin while it was playing Manchurian and another film. I considered one night recently going up to catch Open Water again, just to say I saw a movie there. The larger auditorium is so strange with the high rake of the converted balcony seats, and the ‘main’ auditorium is odd with it’s small size and those two statues on the sides of that itty bitty screen.

I took a couple of shots before I was told no. I wish I got a better one of the cool front neon. sigh Maybe it’ll do a quick reopen before the ball smashes another chunk of New York coolness away.

br91975
br91975 on September 1, 2004 at 11:19 am

Translation: Clearview was pushed into selling their Metro Twin lease by the property owner; they wouldn’t have booked ‘Garden State’ for an engagement scheduled to BEGIN August 27th otherwise. If it reopens again, it’ll likely be for the short-term and it’ll probably be an independent who’ll run it, as what happened with the Art Greenwich Twin in 1999-2000 after Loews Cineplex pulled out of that property and the landlord, wanting to maximize his or her profit on the space while waiting for Equinox to settle its property conversion plans with the various neighborhood commissions, ran that space as a non-chain house for its final 16 months of operation. Far more probable in the case of the Metro is that, unless there’s strong community backlash, its time of operation has come to an end.

srk1
srk1 on September 1, 2004 at 10:50 am

No, it is NOT open. I live down the block and pass by every day. I emailed Clearview last week via their web site to find out what had happened and just got this response: “Clearview Cinemas has made a business decision to sell the lease for this theatre. Clearview ceased operation of the Metro Twin as of Friday, August 27, 2004. Unfortunately, we don’t have any further information regarding the plans for this location.”

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 31, 2004 at 7:17 am

Has anybody verified if the theater is open or not? I called moviefone and it lists showtimes for the theater.

Butch
Butch on August 28, 2004 at 5:19 pm

I went to the Metro on the 25th to see The Manchurian Candidate
(2004) in the lower auditorium on a tiny little screen (1.85)and noticed there were no surround speakers. The film began and I realized the sound was MONAURAL which I havent heard in a new film in years. The theater was hot as hell as there was no air conditioning. I was the only person attending the first show. As I ran out the door 10 minutes into the show a very pleasant staff member said “Don’t you like the movie?” I said “No, the theater. It was so hot in there I didn’t even ask for a refund. Tired Clearview.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 28, 2004 at 12:55 pm

I called moviefone and it shows the theater open showing Garden State and Open Water. It gave showtimes for today. Can anybody confirm thhat it is still open.

br91975
br91975 on August 27, 2004 at 2:44 pm

The Metro has been – or likely still is – doomed for redevelopment(see my comment above from this past April 15th), but what’s odd is its listing in today’s NY Post Movie Clock makes mention of ‘Garden State’ playing there effective today, succeeding an engagement of ‘The Manchurian Candidate’ remake. What apparently happened is what occurred in January of 2003 when the Metro suddenly closed at that time – a dispute between Clearview and the landlord over the terms and length of Clearview’s lease on the property. Whether their latest dispute, renewed or otherwise, can be resolved, I’d have to imagine, is a pure wild-card at this point.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 27, 2004 at 10:27 am

I wonder if thgis is temporary. I went to Clearviews web page and it now shows the Metro as an independant theater.Maybe it is just a matter of the theater chain being taken over. I thought when they reopened in 2003 it was supposed to be under an independant chain anyway.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 27, 2004 at 9:18 am

Clearview should have turned this into “Cine Latino” instead of the theatre at 62nd Street. The Metro is much closer to the Hispanic population in Upper Manhattan and the Bronx. But I guess the Metro’s underlying ground is more valuable for development as housing.

srk1
srk1 on August 26, 2004 at 9:27 pm

Sadly, as of tonight, the marquee now reads “Sorry We’re Closed,” although as of last weekend it was still open. The low-rise building to its north is empty and I’ve heard they’re going to be razed, so things don’t look good for the Metro. I won’t miss the uncomfortable seats, but I will miss its mere existence as the only movie theater betw. 84th St. and the Magic Johnson on 125th. If anyone knows anything about the future of the building I’d love to know. Maybe at least the facade will be preserved!

RobertR
RobertR on August 20, 2004 at 7:08 am

I think he may have been the one who programmed it when it was revival and art films.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on August 20, 2004 at 4:07 am

Wasn’t Dan Talbot/New Yorker Films (of the Lincoln Plaza and the late Cinema Studio) running the Metro for a few years before Cineplex blew into town?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on August 20, 2004 at 1:15 am

a great theater ,small ,but with charm never has been able to find its way

br91975
br91975 on April 15, 2004 at 10:49 pm

The first features booked into the Metro when it reopened under the management of Cineplex Odeon in the summer of 1986 were ‘She’s Gotta Have It’ and ‘A Great Wall’. It operated as a first-run house until January of 2003 when the landlord suddenly shut its doors as the result of a lease dispute with Clearview Cinemas, which had assumed control of the Metro (and several other Manhattan theatres) in the fall of 1998 when Cineplex Odeon was forced to divest itself of a handful of sites around the country in anticipation of its merger with Loews Theatres. Suddenly, in April of ‘03, the Metro – still a Clearview property – opened for business again (showing 'Chicago’ and the Chris Rock comedy ‘Head of State’ on its two screens); however, rumors still abound of its eventual closing, to be possibly replaced by yet another UWS high-rise apartment tower.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on April 2, 2004 at 8:03 am

The Midtown first opened in 1933 and had 562 seats. The name Midtown has always puzzled me. Why Midtown when it’s on the Upper West Side and more than 50 blocks from midtown? Perhaps midtown for the northern strip of Broadway that starts at Columbus Circle? Or perhaps midtown for the area known as Yorktown? By the time the Midtown opened, the nearby Adelphi had already been re-named the Yorktown (and would later become the New Yorker).

philipgoldberg
philipgoldberg on April 10, 2003 at 4:40 pm

the restoration was done by Cineplex Odeon and not Clearview Cinemas. The latter acquired the twin theater when Cineplex had to sell off some of its Manhattan theaters after it merged with Loews.

philipgoldberg
philipgoldberg on April 10, 2003 at 4:38 pm

the theater is now open again.

William
William on February 20, 2003 at 12:45 pm

The Metro Twin will be reopening soon. It is to be operated by the company that ran the Guild & Embassy Theatres in mid-town.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 11, 2003 at 8:50 pm

This theater, on Broadway up around West 100th street, also enjoyed a stretch in the 80’s and 90’s as a revival house, showing classic double bills that changed every 2 or 3 days, similar to the Hollywood Twin (now shuttered) on 8th Ave around 48th street. I think I still have some old flyers from both of these theaters on which they would print the upcoming month’s schedule of attractions. With the advent of home video (especially now with the rising popularity of DVDs and large screen TVs) revival houses like these are fast becoming extinct.