New Metro Twin

2626 Broadway,
New York, NY 10025

Shade
Shade on September 3, 2004 at 12:41 pm

I walked into the Metro Twin while it was playing Manchurian and another film. I considered one night recently going up to catch Open Water again, just to say I saw a movie there. The larger auditorium is so strange with the high rake of the converted balcony seats, and the ‘main’ auditorium is odd with it’s small size and those two statues on the sides of that itty bitty screen.

I took a couple of shots before I was told no. I wish I got a better one of the cool front neon. sigh Maybe it’ll do a quick reopen before the ball smashes another chunk of New York coolness away.

br91975
br91975 on September 1, 2004 at 9:19 am

Translation: Clearview was pushed into selling their Metro Twin lease by the property owner; they wouldn’t have booked ‘Garden State’ for an engagement scheduled to BEGIN August 27th otherwise. If it reopens again, it’ll likely be for the short-term and it’ll probably be an independent who’ll run it, as what happened with the Art Greenwich Twin in 1999-2000 after Loews Cineplex pulled out of that property and the landlord, wanting to maximize his or her profit on the space while waiting for Equinox to settle its property conversion plans with the various neighborhood commissions, ran that space as a non-chain house for its final 16 months of operation. Far more probable in the case of the Metro is that, unless there’s strong community backlash, its time of operation has come to an end.

srk1
srk1 on September 1, 2004 at 8:50 am

No, it is NOT open. I live down the block and pass by every day. I emailed Clearview last week via their web site to find out what had happened and just got this response: “Clearview Cinemas has made a business decision to sell the lease for this theatre. Clearview ceased operation of the Metro Twin as of Friday, August 27, 2004. Unfortunately, we don’t have any further information regarding the plans for this location.”

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 31, 2004 at 5:17 am

Has anybody verified if the theater is open or not? I called moviefone and it lists showtimes for the theater.

Butch
Butch on August 28, 2004 at 3:19 pm

I went to the Metro on the 25th to see The Manchurian Candidate
(2004) in the lower auditorium on a tiny little screen (1.85)and noticed there were no surround speakers. The film began and I realized the sound was MONAURAL which I havent heard in a new film in years. The theater was hot as hell as there was no air conditioning. I was the only person attending the first show. As I ran out the door 10 minutes into the show a very pleasant staff member said “Don’t you like the movie?” I said “No, the theater. It was so hot in there I didn’t even ask for a refund. Tired Clearview.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 28, 2004 at 10:55 am

I called moviefone and it shows the theater open showing Garden State and Open Water. It gave showtimes for today. Can anybody confirm thhat it is still open.

br91975
br91975 on August 27, 2004 at 12:44 pm

The Metro has been – or likely still is – doomed for redevelopment(see my comment above from this past April 15th), but what’s odd is its listing in today’s NY Post Movie Clock makes mention of ‘Garden State’ playing there effective today, succeeding an engagement of ‘The Manchurian Candidate’ remake. What apparently happened is what occurred in January of 2003 when the Metro suddenly closed at that time – a dispute between Clearview and the landlord over the terms and length of Clearview’s lease on the property. Whether their latest dispute, renewed or otherwise, can be resolved, I’d have to imagine, is a pure wild-card at this point.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 27, 2004 at 8:27 am

I wonder if thgis is temporary. I went to Clearviews web page and it now shows the Metro as an independant theater.Maybe it is just a matter of the theater chain being taken over. I thought when they reopened in 2003 it was supposed to be under an independant chain anyway.

srk1
srk1 on August 26, 2004 at 7:27 pm

Sadly, as of tonight, the marquee now reads “Sorry We’re Closed,” although as of last weekend it was still open. The low-rise building to its north is empty and I’ve heard they’re going to be razed, so things don’t look good for the Metro. I won’t miss the uncomfortable seats, but I will miss its mere existence as the only movie theater betw. 84th St. and the Magic Johnson on 125th. If anyone knows anything about the future of the building I’d love to know. Maybe at least the facade will be preserved!

RobertR
RobertR on August 20, 2004 at 5:08 am

I think he may have been the one who programmed it when it was revival and art films.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on August 20, 2004 at 2:07 am

Wasn’t Dan Talbot/New Yorker Films (of the Lincoln Plaza and the late Cinema Studio) running the Metro for a few years before Cineplex blew into town?

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on August 19, 2004 at 11:15 pm

a great theater ,small ,but with charm never has been able to find its way

br91975
br91975 on April 15, 2004 at 8:49 pm

The first features booked into the Metro when it reopened under the management of Cineplex Odeon in the summer of 1986 were ‘She’s Gotta Have It’ and ‘A Great Wall’. It operated as a first-run house until January of 2003 when the landlord suddenly shut its doors as the result of a lease dispute with Clearview Cinemas, which had assumed control of the Metro (and several other Manhattan theatres) in the fall of 1998 when Cineplex Odeon was forced to divest itself of a handful of sites around the country in anticipation of its merger with Loews Theatres. Suddenly, in April of ‘03, the Metro – still a Clearview property – opened for business again (showing 'Chicago’ and the Chris Rock comedy ‘Head of State’ on its two screens); however, rumors still abound of its eventual closing, to be possibly replaced by yet another UWS high-rise apartment tower.

philipgoldberg
philipgoldberg on April 10, 2003 at 2:40 pm

the restoration was done by Cineplex Odeon and not Clearview Cinemas. The latter acquired the twin theater when Cineplex had to sell off some of its Manhattan theaters after it merged with Loews.

philipgoldberg
philipgoldberg on April 10, 2003 at 2:38 pm

the theater is now open again.

William
William on February 20, 2003 at 10:45 am

The Metro Twin will be reopening soon. It is to be operated by the company that ran the Guild & Embassy Theatres in mid-town.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 11, 2003 at 6:50 pm

This theater, on Broadway up around West 100th street, also enjoyed a stretch in the 80’s and 90’s as a revival house, showing classic double bills that changed every 2 or 3 days, similar to the Hollywood Twin (now shuttered) on 8th Ave around 48th street. I think I still have some old flyers from both of these theaters on which they would print the upcoming month’s schedule of attractions. With the advent of home video (especially now with the rising popularity of DVDs and large screen TVs) revival houses like these are fast becoming extinct.