New Metro Twin
16 people favorited this theater
Firms: Boak & Paris
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Midtown Theater, Metro Twin
News About This Theater
- May 27, 2014 — A brief history of the Midtown
- Oct 4, 2013 — Plans fall apart for Manhattan Drafthouse
- Apr 7, 2012 — Alamo Drafthouse moving into vacant Metro Theater
- Oct 21, 2009 — Talbot's New Yorker Theatres and distributor
- Jan 7, 2009 — New Metro to become Urban Outfitters
- Jul 11, 2008 — Metro Theatre status
- Jan 24, 2006 — New Metro Twin closes; Owner plans to scrap interior
- Nov 22, 2004 — Metro Theatre Set To Reopen!
- Sep 22, 2004 — Metro Theatre To Reopen As An Art House
Opening as the Midtown Theater, this classic theater, located almost 60 blocks north of Times Square, survived several tumultuous years.
Beginning as a first run single screen theater, the Midtown Theater, was taken over by New York Cinemas and was twinned and renamed the Metro Twin from August 29, 1986. The former balcony became the second auditorium, but elaborate ornamentation remained on view in both spaces. It switched to second run and then adult films during New York City’s darker years (the 1970’s and 1980’s).
It was taken over by Cineplex Odeon. They were taken over by Clearview Cinemas who restored the movie theater.
This underrated theater closed in January 2003, shortly after the nearby Olympia Theatre met the reaper, but reopened only a couple months later.
The Metro Twin was once more closed by Clearview in August 2004 but again reopened under independent ownership in December 2004 after a renovation. The New Metro Twin closed once again on December 1, 2005. The beautiful and unique Art Deco style façade is legally protected, but the interior was gutted and offered for retail.
In April 2012, it was announced the New Metro Twin would be reopened by the Alamo Drafthouse chain in 2013 as a 5-screen theatre on 3 levels. In September 2013, these plans were scrapped and in May 2019 it was vacant, advertised as ‘Space Available’.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.