Vogue Theatre

6675 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

haineshisway
haineshisway on February 12, 2006 at 6:58 pm

Can someone tell me exactly when the Vogue ceased being a regular-run movie theater? I thought it was the early 90s, but that appears not to be the case if I’m reading the above posts correctly. So, when was the last time the Vogue played a movie in regular release? I have many happy memories of the Vogue – saw The Parent Trap there many times, saw Robert Youngson’s Days of Thrills and Laughter (which got me interested in silent movies), saw What’s New, Pussycat there, and the bastardized version of Once Upon A Time In America. One of my fondest memories is when the Vogue had a sneak preview of a film I wrote and directed in the mid-70s. THAT was fun!

willsanders
willsanders on January 17, 2006 at 6:30 pm

Mikul, Thanks I check back later to see.

LAphotographer
LAphotographer on January 17, 2006 at 9:08 am

Hey Will,
it’s cool that someone is interested in seeing those pics. First I have to locate them, then scan them, and I’ll do that and post, soon as i get some time. They’re not pro shots, though, just mostly goofing around shots I believe….. it’s been awhile since I’ve seen ‘em…

willsanders
willsanders on January 15, 2006 at 9:41 pm

Mikul, I would be intrested in seeing your pictures. Could you post them or email them to me.

LAphotographer
LAphotographer on January 9, 2006 at 8:19 pm

I worked as asst. manager at the vogue for a for little while , around 1982-‘84. Have a lot of great memories, and some pictures of the interior and a couple of the outside. The manager at the time, George Michaelides often had us put up cheasy displays, and I took pics of 'em. And he took pics of us with them. We had plenty of celebrities coming in. Jeff Conaway and John Larroquette were regulars. I walked Andy Kaufman to his car after a screening of Mad Max, talking about the film. He thought it was too violent. Also when Dodger announcer Vin Scully got his Star on the Blvd., I escorted him and his family and entourage from the rear entrance to the the waiting press. Also got to know Nicolas Cage from seeing him sloop by the theatre with Crispin Glover and I’d let them come in. This is before they were household names. Ok, I could go on for awhile, all the experiences there. I won’t. But I will mention some of the celebrities I saw there: William Shatner, Vincent Price, Wolfman Jack, Jack LaLane, Gary Owens, Mayor Tom Bradley, David Lander (Squiggy, of Lenny & Squiggy), the Spinal Tap keyboardist, Joseph Cotton, The Skipper from Gilligan’s Island, Aldo Ray…. Okay, that’s not so many, and that’s all I can think of now.
I’ll be sad to see it go….if it does…

MichaelM
MichaelM on January 2, 2006 at 7:11 pm

The stories about the Vogue being haunted sprang up when a “Psychic” Tour group was using it as a base of operation. I was the Assistant Manager there in the early seventies and never heard of (or experienced) a haunting of ANY sort. They were also spreading some BS about a schoolhouse burning down and the site being haunted by dead kids. While there WAS a school a couple of blocks away, The Misses Janes school didn’t burn down. The house is now a Tourist Information office. The only other school in the area was on Selma Avenue.

Someone else mentioned an odd storage room next to Musso Frank’s. That was a former speakeasy that, for years, was bricked up except for an entrance inside Musso’s.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 26, 2005 at 9:26 am

This is an artist’s sketch of the remodeled Fox West Coast Vogue Theater in 1959:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 28, 2005 at 3:21 pm

From the Bruce Torrence Hollywood Photograph Collection:

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 30, 2005 at 10:59 am

This is another photo of the Vogue Theater.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 11, 2005 at 11:11 am

This is a photo of the former Vogue Theater in Hollywood.

Suwanti
Suwanti on May 19, 2005 at 1:30 am

The exterior looks like the Grand Theatre [大光明]of Shanghai.

PatrickJDoody
PatrickJDoody on May 18, 2005 at 11:42 pm

Sorry it’s been so long since I responded about the theater. I just never thought anyone was reading these.

Turns out I was wrong!

As far as tearing out the seats, don’t get mad at me. The theater was going through the club renovation by The White Lotus, which should have been no secret as they posted their liquor license request publicly last summer. If it wasn’t going to be us tearing them out, it was someone else. Also, the seats that were there were not the original seats. They were put there sometime in the 70’s I believe and they were in horrible shape and not very collectible. I’m no expert, but they didn’t appear to be anything really special. Most of them were tossed. (I believe some of them were stored in this really weird space adjacent to Musso and Franks, which looked to be part of the restaurant a very long time ago – it had this really beautiful artwork that lined the top of the walls.)

As a matter of fact, the theater interior was not really much to write home about. The walls were a drab and rundown red. The ceiling had this large set back oval shape, but was painted in a single color – there was no contrast nor any kind of artwork. (Maybe something underneath that you could have restored, but there were no photos to confirm that.) The lobby had this horribly ugly carpeting and the snack counter was updated sometime in the 80’s. The only place that had some real coolness in it was the projection booth, which I noted in my post last year.

I am actually very happy to have been able to spend some time in there. It was a lot of fun and I was glad that the theater got some use. Currently, you can still see our MDN promo ads on the marquee, which makes me laugh. I really wish it would get reworked and finished soon. Anyone who lives in Hollywood knows the frustration of old buildings just sitting there collecting dust.

magic220714
magic220714 on April 7, 2005 at 7:11 pm

It looks like the Vogue’s days are numbered. All the stores that share the building with the Vogue are now closed and it looks like they are going to raze the whole thing. No offical word on what they are going to do with the property. Just saw this today.

reluctantpopstar
reluctantpopstar on January 21, 2005 at 6:18 pm

After it closed up, it was rented out by a local scenster for some screenings of old horror movies on several occasions (he merely projected DVDs on a standard video projector probably costing less than $2000, and honestly it really didn’t look too bad…a little dim but no splices or film print damage, obviously). This was around 2000 or 2001. As confirmed by others here, I had heard the rumor that the place was morphing into a nightclub. Fine and dandy, but DO IT ALREADY! I’d rather have the place functioning. You’ve already ripped out the seats aparently, you naughty boy. So let’s do something with it. I’d prefer another organziation in the style of the American Cinemateque; Hollywood Blvd. is the perfect place fortit.

William
William on January 4, 2005 at 5:07 pm

The Vogue Theatre was a mid-sized theatre with 800 seats, compared to the larger palaces on Hollywood Blvd. The 500 seat number comes from around the year 2000 when the owner removed 300 seats from the front of the theatre. In the earlier years of the Projectionist Union in Los Angeles. If your theatre seated 1000 people and over, it had to employ two projectionists each shift.

cnichols
cnichols on January 4, 2005 at 2:19 pm

J. Arthur Drielsma consulted with Roland Decker Pierson to design the Azusa Foothill Drive-In theatre.
/theaters/5855/

He also apparently designed the Whittier Drive-In AKA Fiesta Four
/theaters/3822/

trooperboots
trooperboots on January 1, 2005 at 6:07 pm

The Vogue was remodelled in 1959 to it’s present “modern” appearance by architect “J. Arthur Drieloma, A.I.A.” and cost $250,000 (a substantial sum in those days). The grand re-opening took place on June 29, 1959.

The artists conception is located here…

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on December 23, 2004 at 3:38 pm

Mann theatres when they let go of the Hollywood,Vogue and Fox stipulated that they could not be used for first run movies as this would be competition. I never really cared for these three theatres in there present state. Hollywood had so many movie palaces to choose from that these theatres were on the blah side. The Vogue was the best of the three and was an exclusive house in the 1960’s-1970’s.The last film I saw at the Vogue was “Home Alone”.brucec

meheuck
meheuck on November 29, 2004 at 4:29 pm

I guess it can be told now. Elie Samaha, who created White Lotus and the Sunset Room (and owns Franchise Pictures), bought the remaining years of the original leases that Mann had on both the Vogue and the Iris (a/k/a Fox) on Hollywood Blvd. I think this covers only the theatres, not the actual land; that may still be tied up with the Mann heirs. And he is dead set on turning them into nightclubs; he even turned down an offer from Sage Stallone (co-owner of repertory company Grindhouse Releasing, and son of Sylvester, who has made films for Samaha) to rehab one or both of them.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on November 29, 2004 at 4:06 pm

If I had raped the theater like that I wouldn’t go back either! It doesn’t sound like it was rented out but allowed to be gutted and pillaged. Shame on the owners.

stashpro
stashpro on November 28, 2004 at 9:32 pm

How is it that this S. Charles Lee built theater does not have historical status. I am kind of upset
by the fact that doody’s crew was able to go in and tear out the seats that were still in place after
all that time. Doody….where are the seats now???

BradE41
BradE41 on October 19, 2004 at 3:16 pm

Mann ran the Vogue from the early 70’s to the early 90’s. They had the Chinese, Hollywood, Vogue and the Fox. Most of the “A” films opened at the Chinese, but the Vogue would get first run bookings. I believe it had 70mm projection.

PatrickJDoody
PatrickJDoody on October 16, 2004 at 12:13 pm

I had rented The Vogue for a TV show I ran for SPIKE TV and Mountain Dew. You may see the MDN signs still up. Either way, we came in, tore out the seats and turned the inside into a TV set. I would never have wanted to tear it up if it was ever going to be restored into a theater again, but the current owners are the same ones that own the White Lotus on Cahuenga. They are waiting on a liquor license for when they reopen the place as a new club, so they rented it to me for a song which allowed me to produce my show there.

It was really neat to get to go inside and see every little part of the theater. The projection room (same one used in Fight Club) still had the triple platter machine and there were all sorts of old film cans and split reels. I did take some marquee letters for my apartment.

Sad to see it go as a theater, but I had a great time working there. BTW, I never ran into Fritz or any of the other spirits, but a few on my crew felt the presence of the children. And one of the men who came in to take out the seats never came back again after one night.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 29, 2004 at 12:42 pm

“The Show Starts On The Sidewalk,” Maggie Valentine’s book about the theatres of S. Charles Lee, claims that the Vogue had 800 seats. But whether it was 500 or 800, I would call that a small theatre and not “midsized.”

cnichols
cnichols on September 29, 2004 at 11:08 am

Hollywood Galaxy
Originally run by GCC General Cinemas, then by AMC and closed in 2003.