Capitol Theatre

1645 Broadway,
New York, NY 10019

paullewis
paullewis on September 6, 2012 at 3:17 pm

For me, the great movie palaces were New York, the Capitol and Roxy being the finest. The city lost it’s soul when these wonderful places of mass entertainment were demolished and it’s never been the same since. No other city on earth could boast so many of the best, yet only the Beacon and Hollywood remain in Manhattan.

BobbyS
BobbyS on July 9, 2012 at 10:08 pm

No wonder the loews men were smiling. All this money without having to pay for a stage show and musicans and all the unions they had to deal with on a weekly basis. Just a few cashiers, ushers, and an organist or two and we are good to go!!! Probably the beginning of the end for the stage show. Radio City continued to the 1970’s.

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 30, 2012 at 8:35 am

What a great photo Tinseltoes. That is some magazine you discovered..Even an empty theater such as this Capitol has magic !!

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on May 7, 2012 at 2:11 pm

A fair point, bigjoe59. It should read that the theater was demolished after the roadshow engagement of “2001: A Space Oddyssey” was moved over to the Warner in September of 1968.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on May 7, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Hello-

a mistake of sorts in the intro needs to be corrected. true the Capitol was running the original roadshow engagement of 2001 in the late spring of 1968 shortly before it closed and was later demolished. but the roadshow run of 2001 did not end at this point as well. said engagement was switched to the Warner Cinerama at Bway & 47 St. where it continued to do good business for several more weeks.

Brad Smith
Brad Smith on May 5, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Click here for an exterior view of the Capitol Theatre in 1931.

BobbyS
BobbyS on April 6, 2012 at 8:24 am

DEFG, You are a hoot. Thanks for details about film ratio. I am looking forward to the screening. I did see it around 1990 but don’t remember if it was scoped or not.I did see “Gone With The Wind” about the same time and the ads did say:First time enhanced wide screen. I thought it was breathtaking with no loss of film. Haven’t seen it again like that. Just 35mm on DVD. Oh well, “Tomorrow is another day”

BobbyS
BobbyS on April 5, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I will be seeing John Derek this Saturday night in a real live movie theater, the Portage Theater in Chicago, showing a pristine 35mm real film of “The Ten Commandments”. Should be quite an experience!!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 5, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I still remember the fine performance John Derek gave in “Exodus”, and millions will see him play Joshua when ABC shows DeMille’s “The Ten Commandments” this Saturday night.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 5, 2012 at 11:42 am

John Derek: Then unknown, now unknown.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on March 14, 2012 at 8:53 am

Eighty two years ago.

IreneTH
IreneTH on November 19, 2011 at 12:40 pm

“In 1952 stage shows ceased to be held.” On Dec 24, 1952 the film “Against All Flags” opened at the Capitol with a stage show featuring Johnnie Ray, Gary Morton, Georgia Gibbs and Ray Anthony and his orchestra. [NY Times, Nov 18, 1952: Column, “Of Local Origin” The column also states that “According to the management, this marks the the first time in a year and a half that the theatre has offered a stage and screen show. Stage and screen shows will be presented at the Capitol whenever the proper stage attractions can be booked, a spokesman for the house said yesterday.” My friends and I, all junior high students and big Johnnie Ray fans saw this stage show about 15 times! The stage show continued into January 1953.

BobbyS
BobbyS on November 13, 2011 at 11:37 am

Wow what a show and a movie too!! Inagine the choice for a New Yorker at that time. One movie palace after another to attend on any given day, Thanks Tinseltoes for the history lession..

BobbyS
BobbyS on October 14, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Wow!! I bet nobody forget that experience.. Thanks Tinseltoes for your updates. Just imagine, all that for a couple of dollars…..

AGRoura
AGRoura on September 6, 2011 at 6:42 am

You are right Tinseltoes.

paula_eisenstein_baker
paula_eisenstein_baker on September 4, 2011 at 9:10 am

Hi Tinseltoes, thanks for the suggestions. I’ve been through the material at Lincoln Center, including the scrapbooks that the Capitol (NOT the Roxy!) kept, and I have read Variety, Billboard, many of the NY newspapers AND the papers devoted to the movies in the 1920s (as well as The Metronome, Musical Courier, Musical America, Musical Digest, etc.). Zeitlin was mentioned in a Capitol press release in 1927 (the text of which appeared in a number of papers), and his death, in 1930, was reported almost everywhere (from the NYTimes on down). So you certainly could have come across his name.

Zeitlin receives credit for a couple of his overtures in theatre programs that I have seen, but Yasha Bunchuk (the conductor at the Capitol, beginning in 1929) is credited with several others that (I think) may have been composed by Zeitlin. Hence my interest in finding programs.

paula_eisenstein_baker
paula_eisenstein_baker on September 3, 2011 at 7:25 am

Thank you for writing, Tinseltoes. Sorry! The man’s name was Leo Zeitlin (1884-1930), and I’ve been able to document that he composed many arrangements for the Capitol from the playlists kept by WEAF in the 1920s. Most of his arrs were played on the Sun evening Capitol Theatre radio program (the playlists are in the Lib of Congress Music Section, Dept of Recorded Sound), but by 1929-30 he was also writing overtures for the theatre, and those MAY have been credited to him in the theatre programs, which is why I’m eager to find any that I can.

A colleague and I have published Zeitlin’s chamber music (I can provide information about that volume, if anyone is interested), and we are working on an edition of one of his overtures (from Sept 1929).

paula_eisenstein_baker
paula_eisenstein_baker on September 2, 2011 at 11:03 am

I’m writing about a man who composed musical arrangements for the Capitol Theatre between 1925 and 1930. Does anyone know of collections of programs from the Capitol for that period other than those at the Theatre Historical Society? I’ve found only one posted on the web. (This query is addressed especially to Tinseltoes and Warren G. Harris, if they are still reading this list.) If private replies are appropriate, use eisenbak@stthom.edu.

BobbyS
BobbyS on August 6, 2011 at 8:11 am

It is so wonderful to read all of these dates and I enjoy them so. In many ways you keep the Loew’s Capitol stll “alive”. Thank you.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 18, 2011 at 7:11 am

BobbyS: It was the most incredible movie theater experience I’ve ever had, before or since. The size and shape of the Capitol screen, combined with the greatest science-fiction movie ever made – nothing else will ever come close!

BobbyS
BobbyS on June 17, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Thanks Bill. It must have been something to see at the Capitol. Going to see a major motion picture in a one screen palace really made the whole experience something special!!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 15, 2011 at 7:48 am

43 years ago today – a life-changing event. I saw “2001” at the Capitol. I try to commemorate it every year here on this page.

Coate
Coate on May 4, 2011 at 10:36 am

AGR, there’s nothing wrong with thanking someone for a comment you appreciate, but in this case you look like a fool for having stormed off in a huff only to reappear a day later. And where’s the apology for your nutty YELLING claim of my ignorance? (Don’t you feel like an ass now that you realize I was correct all along?)

AGRoura
AGRoura on May 4, 2011 at 9:29 am

Michael, I was not commenting or giving an opinion, just wanted to thank REndres. Anything wrong with that? He deserves my thanks for the detailed explanation, period.