Loew's Capitol Theatre

1645 Broadway,
New York, NY 10019

markp
markp on April 3, 2018 at 5:36 pm

HowardBHass also the Regal E Walk still has the 70MM equipment from the recent releases. I just checked on it a few weeks ago when I finished the Phantom Thread run at Lincoln Square. The equipment at both E Walk and Lincoln Square is owned by Warner Brothers.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 3, 2018 at 4:09 pm

Joe, I was very surprised at the $20 cost of a 70mm show. I do qualify for senior discount but I had already seen on their website that they don’t apply to 70mm, so I just handed over my $20. But I’ll gladly pay it to see 2001.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 3, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Hello-

to Howard B. thanks for the info. I hope the 50th Anniversary print will be shown in a theater with a really big screen.

to Bill H.– the Village East Cinemas is in fact a renovated Yiddish Art Theater originally built in 1912. the 70MM print of Ready Player One in playing in what was the Yiddish theater’s main stage. all the other auditoriums at Village East are renovated storage space.

also to Bill H.– don’t you think $20 with no senior or children’s discount is a rip off? that’s the first time I can remember a theater having no senior or children’s discount.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 3, 2018 at 3:45 pm

Howard mentioned the Village East. I saw Ready Player One there last Friday, and they showed a 70mm trailer for 2001. Just before it was over, it said that 2001 would be playing “at this theater”.

It was no Capitol, but it was a very nice theater with a big screen. It had the look of an old movie palace, or half of one anyway. It looks like the balcony of what was once a much bigger theater.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on April 3, 2018 at 2:01 pm

NYC venues for reissued 2001 have not been announced yet. City Cinemas 1,2,3 and City Cinemas Village East are strong possibilities, as is AMC Lincoln Square. The Walter Reade also has 70mm capacity, and outside Manhattan so does the Museum of Moving Image. The Paris might still have capacity but hasn’t shown 70mm recently.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on April 3, 2018 at 1:23 pm

Hello-

at what Manhattan theater or theaters will the 50th Anniversary re-issue(supervised by Christopher Nolan) be playing?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 3, 2018 at 11:59 am

Fantastic article, Michael, just like all your others, but this one is extra special to me.

Reposting Paul Noble’s reminiscences from the 40th anniversary. He attended the first-ever screening at the Capitol:

Paul Noble on April 3, 2008 at 4:54 pm

Three nights in advance of the NY premiere, I attended the first press screening of 2001 at the Capitol at its full-length. I believe it clocked in at 161 minutes. The place was packed, but after intermission several hundred people were missing. During the closing credits, there were just two of us left, the other being Gene Shalit who was “conducting” “The Blue Danube”. I turned around at the end and waved to Kubrick in the booth and gave him a thumbs up. In the lobby, I joined a heated conversation with Judith Crist, Bruce Bahrenberg and other critics, who were loudly putting the picture down. I told them about “The Sentinel,” the landmark Clarke short story, and what the possible meaning of the picture was. They laughed me out of the lobby! The director cut the film, supposedly on the print, over the next few days, and the shortened version was the one which opened at the premiere. I’m still a great fan of 2001 with its enormous impact on future motion pictures, and the Capitol Cinerama as it was on that night with that gigantic curved screen, even in sharp focus from my third row seat!

MSC77
MSC77 on April 3, 2018 at 8:56 am

Just in time for the big anniversary, here’s a new retrospective article on Kubrick’s “2001: A Space Odyssey.” The Capitol and lots of other cinemas get mentioned in the piece.

Still the Ultimate Trip: Remembering “2001: A Space Odyssey” on its 50th Anniversary

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 3, 2018 at 3:25 am

Happy actual 50th anniversary today to 2001: A Space Odyssey at the Capitol. Big article about it in last Sunday’s NY Times, big 70mm re-release coming in May. It’s the movie of the year!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 3, 2018 at 3:23 am

But the Kings in Brooklyn did show a movie about a year ago, and it sold out the place: Barry Lyndon, accompanied by a live orchestra. That’s why I thought it would be cool if they showed 2001 this year. They’d get that same huge audience back.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on April 2, 2018 at 11:03 pm

The Kings is the name of one of the auditoriums at the AMC Lincoln Square.

BobbyS
BobbyS on April 2, 2018 at 9:56 pm

Bill, I didn’t realize the Kings on Flatbush ave was showing first run films…Is that true? How great is that!

markp
markp on March 30, 2018 at 10:00 am

Thank you Mike (saps) and Bill Huelbig for the kind words. I may not find out until late April/early May, but as soon as I know if I’m running it, I’ll be sure to post it. I’m hoping I get it.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on March 30, 2018 at 9:48 am

The idea of a new print made from the original negative is breathtaking. Why would anyone ever trust that to anyone but an experienced professional? I can’t wait to see it, somewhere.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 30, 2018 at 9:26 am

Thanks, Mark. I hope you get to run “2001” on May 18th.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on March 30, 2018 at 9:00 am

And we love you too, Mark.

markp
markp on March 30, 2018 at 8:54 am

Bill Huelbig, so you get a better understanding on how this works these days, if a movie is booked into a theatre by the theatre company like city cinemas village east or 1,2,3, that means they have in house projectionists. If it booked into theatres with studio owned equipment, booked by the studio, into the E walk or Lincoln square, then I and my team of projectionists are called and hired to do the run. CC is noted for scratching their prints and having problems. I just completed an 11 week 372 showing of Phantom Thread at Lincoln Square and my print went back scratch and dirt free. And at a cost of approx. $25,000 a print, the studios love me.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on March 29, 2018 at 5:50 pm

Ready Player One also in 70mm (blowup) at City Cinemas 1,2,3. I officially volunteer at the site you are now posting at, but also am helping to compile the 70mm venue list for the increasing number of releases. Here for Ready Player One: http://www.in70mm.com/library/blow_up/year/2018/index.htm

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 29, 2018 at 3:56 pm

Thanks for the good news, markp. Is the Kings the theater with the wide curved screen and the elephant decorations? I’m basing this on that long- ago viewing of The Wild Bunch, but I’m sure there were elephants there somewhere.

The Village East on 12th St. and 2nd Ave. is showing Ready Player One in 70mm. I’ve never been there, but I am going to check it out. I heard that all 70mm engagements of Ready Player One are preceded by a 70mm trailer for 2001.

markp
markp on March 29, 2018 at 2:23 pm

Bill Huelbig, the 70MM equipment is still there in the Kings projection booth. I just wrapped it up 3 weeks ago after the Phantom Thread run. It is all ready for whatever 70MM comes along. Same goes for the equipment at the Regal E Walk Cinema 12. I just checked on that set up 3 weeks ago. All wrapped up just as I left it last August after Dunkirk.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 29, 2018 at 11:32 am

Waiting for Warner Bros. to post the list of 70mm screening venues. The story is all over the movie industry websites, and I even heard about it on the radio this morning. I’m a happy man.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on March 29, 2018 at 10:36 am

The Cinerama Dome in Hollywood has it all: curved screen, 70mm projection, muti-channel sound. If you live out that way, of course.

MarkDHite
MarkDHite on March 29, 2018 at 10:33 am

Sadly, I think I remember reading that the Uptown has gone all digital.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on March 29, 2018 at 10:12 am

The biggest non-IMAX theater in the AMC Lincoln Square complex on Broadway and 66th St. would be a good place to show it, if they haven’t gotten rid of their 70mm projectors. I saw The Wild Bunch there in 70mm some years ago, and if I remember right the screen even has a slight curve.

If the Uptown in DC is showing it, and they still have their Cinerama screen, I’ll be making a train trip to Washington.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on March 29, 2018 at 5:38 am

Now, if only we could see it at the Capitol or the Rivoli or the State or the Criterion or the Strand or even the Ziegfeld, all would be right in the universe…