Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas

6360 Sunset Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 176 - 200 of 1,137 comments

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 12, 2012 at 8:08 pm

The Dome played the police calls at the 40th anniversary screening in 2003.

silver
silver on August 12, 2012 at 7:53 pm

jsittig: I saw IAMMMMW in 70MM at AMPAS’s Goldwyn Theater in 70mm about a month ago. And during the intermission break, they were playing the police radio transmissions audio over the PA system.

Are they planning on doing that at the upcoming Cinerama Dome screenings (like they did in ‘63 at the premiere at the Dome)?

RogerA
RogerA on August 12, 2012 at 5:06 pm

jsittig, you might want to think about putting in a second booth, in front of and below the current booth, and install two Norelco AA 35/70’s. Then you could run some of the 70mm prints that have to be run reel to reel. Those classic 70mm films still draw a crowd.

jsittig
jsittig on August 11, 2012 at 8:18 pm

An additional showing of IT’S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD in Ultra Panavision 70 has been added to schedule of the 60 th Anniversary of Cinerama Festival. Show is Wednesday Oct 3 at 7:00 pm. Tickets are on sale at arclightcinemas.com

jsittig
jsittig on August 11, 2012 at 4:03 am

The Cinerama Dome construction was 18 weeks from ground breaking to the Mad World premiere! Yes the single semi -circular booth was designed for three strip but not installed. How the West Was Won had its American premiere in Hollywood in February 1963. We had three Norelco AA 35/70 mm projectors in the center booth. Changed to two CenturyJJ projectors in late 1980’s

CSWalczak
CSWalczak on August 10, 2012 at 6:07 pm

The answer, to my knowledge is, more or less, yes. I have read that “Mad World” actually started filming in three-strip, (apparently so did “The Greatest Story Ever Told”) but changed over to 70mm Ultra Panavision soon after work began. I have read that the booths for three-strip Cinerama were built at the Dome, but the equipment was not installed (until, of course, decades later).

Three-strip Cinerama was actually dealt its death blow when it was discovered that 70mm photography could be more or less successfully incorporated into a three-panel Cinerama production. This occurred during the production of “How the West Was Won” in which 70mm footage from both “Raintree County” and “The Alamo” was incorporated; it is also very noticeable in the sequence where the Prescott raft strays into the rapids and is destroyed; the sequence involved a great deal of process work. The blending of on-location camerawork with stunt doubles (which is in sharp focus) and that made at the studio is rather good, but the background in the studio sequences is grainier and not in the same sharp focus.

With the successful release of “HTWWW,” studio bean counters came to the conclusion that the additional expense of three-panel Cinerama was not worth the investment. In addition, at the time, 70mm negatives (regardless of process) could be more easily reduction printed to 35mm for non-roadshow and second run showings.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 10, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Hello From NYC-

i thank my fellow movie buffs in L.A. for
answering my questions about L.A. movie going.
i have a new question that i’m betting has
an interesting answer.

the Cinerama Dome opened Nov.‘63 with the premiere of the 1st single lens Cinerama film “Its A Mad Mad Mad Mad World”. now considering how technologically advanced the theater was for Nov.'63 i’m guessing the groundbreaking for the theater was at least 1 year maybe 2 years? before the opening night. which is where my question comes in. when the groundbreaking took place the 1st narrative 3-Strip Cinerama film “The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm” hadn’t even opened yet. so does that mean before “…..Grimm” and the 2nd narrative 3-Strip film “How The West Was Won” even opened the powers that be knew in 1961 that the 3-Strip process would go the way of the dodo bird and built the Dome from the get go as a single lens Cinerama house?

silver
silver on August 2, 2012 at 12:15 am

Jsittig: Thanks! Whoever came up the idea of that water curtain (presumably the 2002 Arclight architects) had a nice idea. It allows more of the Dome itself and its surface texture to be visible (since the south face is now completely blocked) yet acts as a bit of a deterrent to vandals, posters or graffiti miscreants. Plus on that warm evening the mist it created was nice!

(It’s odd how seldom I typically walk out that way— since the normal routine is to park, go to the theaters, and right back to the parking structure. But a visitor last weekend asked about it and I was stumped.

jsittig
jsittig on August 1, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Silver The water curtain is new to the 2002 refurbishing. Before, that area was inside the brick wall surrounding the building, hiding trash receptacles and HVAC. John

silver
silver on July 30, 2012 at 2:45 am

Visited the Dome over the weekend and am curious about something. On the outside around the western perimeter area is a sort of curtain of falling water decoration.

Is that original with the Dome, or was that added when they built the Arclight building surrounding the rest of it.

jsittig
jsittig on July 29, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Roger, Since we now only have one 70mm projector in the Dome, we cannot run reel-to-reel which limits us on quality print availability. John Sittig, ArcLight Cinemas & Cinerama Inc.

RogerA
RogerA on July 29, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Well I have a ticket to see 2001 in 70mm at the Academy of Motion Pictures in the Goldwyn theater. It is nice of the Arclight people to run all of the tree strip Cinerama films and some of the 70mm Cinerama films.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on July 29, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Maybe they’re not allowed to run the new print on a platter? They don’t have changeover 70MM in there now.

RogerA
RogerA on July 29, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Why would they show a 2K digital of 2001 when there is a 70mm print available?

jsittig
jsittig on July 29, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Just to make everything as clear as possible, so that there is no confusion….This Is Cinerama, Search For Paradise, Bros. Grimm, and How The West Was Won, and Act 2 of Seven Wonders Of The World will be shown in 3 strip Cinerama. (Act 2 as digital scanning will not be completed.) Cinerama Holiday and South Seas Adventure are new digital prints from the original negatives…stunningly beautiful. Russian Adventure, Golden Head, and Holiday in Spain, digital from 65mm ele ments, 2001 in 2K digital, Mad World in 70mm Ultra Panavision and IN THE PICTURE, the first new film photographed in Cinerama in 50 years is in 3 strip. Yes, I would like to see everything in its original formats but I believe that in more important to show everything listed as this is the 60th Anniversary of the process.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on July 25, 2012 at 3:45 pm

As it appears, the 3-strip films are “HTWWW”, “Brothers Grimm”, “This is Cinerama” and “Search for Paradise” as well as the newly produced film “In the Picture”. “Mad World” is 70mm. Everything else is digital.

RogerA
RogerA on July 25, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Well I got a refund on my ticket for Cinerama’s Russian Adventure from what I can tell that is a video presentation. I still have a ticket for Cinerama Holiday I hope that is in three strip if not I’ll have to cash that one in too. I’m sure the 4K looks fine but it still isn’t as clear and sharp as a good 70mm print from a 65mm negative or as detailed as the three strip Cinerama.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on July 25, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Sorry, I failed to mention that the faded 3-strip print is “Search for Paradise”. Again, I prefer that over a digital version. RogerA: I saw “Windjammer” at the Dome in digital a while back and while I thought it looked pretty good it just isn’t the same as true Cinerama. BTW: “This is Cinerama” and “Windjammer” will both be released on Blu-Ray the Tuesday before the festival. I hope, in the interest of historical accuracy, the join lines are not hidden like they were for “HTWWW”. That’s part of the experience!

RogerA
RogerA on July 25, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I was expecting all the Cinerama movies to be shown using film on three projectors. I’m not driving into Hollywood to see video! I guess I’ll have to cancel some of my tickets and get a refund.

Flix70
Flix70 on July 25, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Here’s hoping the newly restored 4K Lawrence of Arabia gets at least a week-long stint at the Dome this October. Apparently the film will be re-released theatrically Oct 4 prior to its Blu-ray release in Nov. As Oct 4 is a Thursday, I’m hoping it’s not one of those one-day screenings that pop up at the chain multiplexes from time to time. The Dome did give Lawrence a week-long 40th Anniv showcase back in 2002. Fingers crossed.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on July 25, 2012 at 11:28 am

There seems to be some confusion at least on one of the shows. Although not mentioned on the Arclight website, In70mm reports that while the print for the Saturday show is indeed 3-strip they report it as having “color faded to Magenta”. Additionally, for the second show, they list it as being 3-strip and then label it as a digital presentation on the right. Personally, I would rather see a red 3-strip presentation than a video version but if it is in fact badly faded the Arclight website should say so for those who care.

RogerA
RogerA on July 19, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Yes it looks like they are running every three strip Cinerama film ever made. I expect the whole series to be sold out. Not bad for 50 year old movies.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on July 19, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Tickets are already going fast. I have mine for “Brothers Grimm” and “Search for Paradise” in back-to-back 3-strip showings. This will be the first 3-strip showings for both at the Dome as far as I know. Going to be a great Saturday!

RussM
RussM on July 19, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I am traveling 3000 miles for this festival, and have bought tickets for seven Cinerama films. Thanks to all the folks that have made this great event possible. Also, thanks to Arclight for releasing the schedule and starting ticket sales this far in advance.

RogerA
RogerA on July 19, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Yes, tickets went on sale last night at 6pm for the Cinerama festival and their web site was jammed for 30 minutes. Also they should make it easier to buy multiple tickets with out having to enter you credit card information each time.