Capitol Theatre

New York, NY 10019

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on July 7, 2010 at 10:15 am

Thanks Tinseltoes.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 13, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Back in September 2007, on this page, Rory asked if anyone had a photo of the Capitol’s marquee when they were showing “Planet of the Apes” in February 1968. No one replied about it, but he never gave up. Last week, he found it, and asked me to post it here. Now the final two films to play the Capitol have their marquee images saved for posterity on Cinema Treasures:

paulsp2
paulsp2 on May 7, 2010 at 4:17 am

I must confess to having an almost obsessive interest in this marvellous theatre, in my opinion, going by what photos I have seen, the most beautiful ever built.
I don’t know if this has been mentioned above (so many posts)but it’s interesting to know that in an unlikely way the auditorium in very close replica exists in the Regent theatre Melbourne Australia,(now a live venue)
Although smaller (original seating around 3,300)and having its procenium “squared” after a disasterous fire in the late 40’s, the overall design is remarkably similar, the architect obviously having seen the Capitol prior to producing his designs.
This theatre was very nearly demolished in the 70’s having been saved and restored thanks to the efforts of some very determined and far sighted citizens – Melbourne city centre would be much the poorer without it just as New York is sans the Capitol, Roxy, Rivoli etc. etc. What a city it must have been circa 1950!! The “glitzy” new buildings are no replacement for what has been lost over the past 40 years or so.

UncleStevie
UncleStevie on March 6, 2010 at 3:26 am

Yes it was a very big theater. I am not a historian but I think it was the second largest in the city behind Radio City Music Hall. The Roxy and the Paramount were smaller and I think the Wintergarden was also smaller. But I am not sure. The technology was not like today but the screen and sound were very big. I loved to walk into the air conditioned theaters of New York. They had a speacial pure and clean smell that said “here is New York” and we are different. A grand time in history has passed.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on March 5, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Of course Mike,this was a fine house.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on March 5, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Finally got to the end.almost forgot what I was going to write. LOVE that marquee 2001. i bet it looked great on that i assume big Screen.

AGRoura
AGRoura on February 20, 2010 at 8:06 am

Moved to NYC after the Capitol had been demolished so had no chance to see a movie there. But I did have a chance to eat at the Horn and Hardart on 42nd and 3rd. Those were the good old days!

UncleStevie
UncleStevie on February 20, 2010 at 3:46 am

Thanks for that picture. It brings back old memories of my sitting in the upper left rear seat corner watching movies and big band shows over and over again. All this while my Grandfather worked the spot lights or changed and rewound reels of film for the movie. Sometimes he let me sit in the booth to watch them work. I never forgot that. For lunch we would go out to “Horn & Hardart” caffeteria. That was the greatest treat ever. Thanks for making me smile.

GaryCohen
GaryCohen on January 2, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I saw 2001 at the Capital. I remember purchasing the reserved-seat tickets in advance. I remember being confused and disappointed in the film, my friend despised it. (I took him years later to see Star Trek: The Motion Picture and he despised that also.)I still have the program they sold that night and had it signed by its stars, Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood, at a Chiller Theater several years ago. After we left the theater and were walking to the subway at 42nd St., we saw many police officers on duty and people exiting limos. It turned out that the TONY awards were being given that night. I also saw Planet of the Apes at the Capital. I remember that the theater was so jammed, people were sitting in the aisles. It is still one of my all-time favorites. Other films I saw at the Capital were The Dirty Dozen and In the Heat of the Night. It was another lavish and beautiful Loews theater.

ERD
ERD on November 7, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Thanks, Steve, for telling us about your grandfather. It was very interesting.

UncleStevie
UncleStevie on November 7, 2009 at 6:42 pm

I am the Grandson of Michael Berkowitz who was one of the first projectionists at the Capitol Theater in New York City. I remember before and after WWII visiting the theater with my Grandfather and watching movies and the stageshows from the projection booth. He would also operate the spot lights for the performers. It was a grand time and I treasure it to this day. My Grandfather had patents on a wider screen aperture for the movie projector and had visited Louis B. Mayer in California for a position but sold his patents to him instead. His family was in New York and He chose to stay. My Grandfather was mentioned in a now lost text book as working alongside Thomas Edison. I was very proud of him as a school grader.

I just thought I would pass this information on.

Thanks for listening

Uncle Stevie
Thanks for readin

Uncle Stevie

deleted user
[Deleted] on September 10, 2009 at 7:15 am

Here’s a 1936 ad which includes a photo of crowds outside the Capitol. The elaborate signs over the Capitol’s entrance were always sent to other large Loew’s houses such as the Valencia, Paradise and Triboro as soon as the engagement ended. Their teaming in “My Brother’s Wife” sparked a real-life affair between Barbara Stanwyck and Robert Taylor that scandalized Hollywood’s moral guardians and finally caused them to get married in 1939. They were divorced in 1952.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 15, 2009 at 11:24 am

41 years ago this very minute, I was watching my all-time favorite movie, “2001”, on what is still the most amazing theater screen I’ve ever encountered, the Cinerama screen at the Capitol.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 10, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Here is a June 1954 ad from the New York Times:

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on April 28, 2009 at 8:18 am

The Capitol opening, December 1919.

robboehm
robboehm on March 20, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Ditto on the Mermaid and did see it at the Music Hall (probably the first show when the admission was only 90 cents, and probably using the “secret” subway level box office and bypassing the long lines outside. Hope you read the bio of Esther. It’s really a great read.

Ziggy
Ziggy on March 20, 2009 at 1:26 pm

“Million Dollar Mermaid” is my favorite Esther Williams movie! Oh to have seen it at Radio City Music Hall along with the Christmas show!

robboehm
robboehm on March 5, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Attn: Warren G. Harris – Interestingly, I was speaking with a friend of mine today and I mentioned this site. Then she began reminising about the theatres she had attended. She singled out the Valencia in Jamaica, Queens with the twinkling stars in the ceiling and the pond with a waterfall and fish. I guess the latter feature became a common denominator in the Loew’s movie palaces re our exchange about Loew’s State.

robboehm
robboehm on March 4, 2009 at 11:07 am

The Center Theatre was the second, smaller theatre in the Rockefeller Center complex. Center. It was subsequently used for ice shows and then television. It was then torn down very publically. Whatever TV show was housed there had a whole big production number “The Center Theatre’s coming down.”

Ziggy
Ziggy on March 4, 2009 at 10:31 am

If I remember correctly, “King Kong” played at the Music Hall and the Center Theatre (which may have still been the RKO Roxy at that point)simultaneously. That means roughly 9,000 seats were available for every show! At that rate it’s pretty amazing it had a two week run.

Rory
Rory on March 4, 2009 at 10:09 am

I'f I’m not mistaken, “King Kong,” when it played at Radio City Music Hall, only ran for two weeks. I was surprised it wasn’t there longer.